Options

The 1st Eden Project Marathon

Comments

• Options

Hi Paul,

I would possibly be up for a pre race run, let me know the details.

When will a course map be available?

• Options
    I up for it that Saturday before the event.OKimage
  • Options

David,

There is a course map on our club website www.staustellrunningclub.co.uk

Paul

• Options
    Its look incredable map of the route.Are we Ready to Go Soonimage
  • Options

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the map, the course looks great.

I see your site has 281 runners up until the 15th June, where are you up to now and is my name included (I booked a few weeks ago) ? 

• Options

Can anyone tell me I need proof of Eden Marathon for Free Breakfast and Dinner at Premier Inn?

Good Night Allimage

• Options
    Hi All,St Austell Running Club will be holding an Open Day at the Eden Project on Sunday 9th August, to promote the Marathon and Half Marathon. The actual races will be held on Sunday 11th October.The races are both around 70% full with limits of 1000 for the half and 500 for the full and this will be an opportunity for local runners to have a guided run around either of the courses, or a combination of both. We will cater for all abilities and the runs can range from 5 to 18-20 miles if required.Up to 200 runners can meet at the Visitors Centre at Eden for a 9.30a.m. start and be able to spend some time looking around the Eden Project after the run.Could you all please circulate this information to your respective club members and put it on club websites.Please let Doug or myself know roughly how many are coming as soon as possible as the Eden Management can only give up to 200 free passes as it is holiday season.We look forward to seeing you there,Paul 
  • Options

Speedy,

The deal is free breakfast for the marathon weekend and you just tell the Premier Inn that you are running the marathon. I think it's for families as well, but it is explained on the St Austell website. There is no mention of free dinner, though, but the pasty deal is done with a local Cornish Pasty Company so you will have your post race pasty.

• Options

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/85.gif Paul

Thankyou for this information.I will print it of tonight and save it in my sport folder ready for the events.Not very long now.2half Months to go.You still up for a good STEAK Dinner just before friday at Pemier Inn or notimage

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb095&pp=ZRman000

• Options
    Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

I know it's a little early, but I'm going to be visiting the area this w/e - 24-27 July.

Anyone in the area want to meet for a pie and a pint at a local hostilary that serves real ale?

pm or email me

just add 'frommars' @ yahoo.com to my user name.

• Options

BM

On Sunday 26th July we will be running around parts of the marathon route and you are welcome to join us. We start at Eden at 9.00a.m.

Give me a ring if you're interested : 01726 61462

Cheers,

Paul

• Options

imageBikermoue=Not long now-My 15th Marathon just before Angelsey? CRUMS

imagePaul Bullock 6=I will be down on that Friday in which I can't wait.2nd CRUMSimage

• Options
    Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

HAPPINESS

John had Great Big Waterproof Boots on,
    John had a Great Big Waterproof Hat,
    John had a Great Big Waterproof Mackintosh,
    And that (Said John)
    Is That.

• Options
    Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

Stunning.

Dramatic.

Wonderful.

Well so I've been told at least. Not much you can see through rain and fog. image No, It wasn't that bad really. I Throughly enjoyed my run on Sunday. Thanks to doug, Lisa, Paul and his family. My partner and I had a great weekend.

I think this marathon will rank among Britains top races of the year.

• Options
    Its only round the corner to start revealing the Event in October.Its like a new toy for me.But its a triggie new event?
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Oh dear, it looks like I've entered this one.Better do some training then.

Is it true it's entirely flat without a gradient in sight?

I would normally do the Henley Half on this day but the thought of a medal and a pasty is just too alluring. Mother of Muttley and Muttley Jnr can traipse round the biomes while I lumber across the Cornish countryside ... sounds like a good day out to me!

• Options
    Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

Muttley - perhaps Muttley jnr can do the kids fun run around the biomes?

Oh and the medal - its B I G !

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Muttley Jnr is 15 and would not be seen dead taking exercise of any kind, unfortunately. Or really doing anything other than being spoon-fed by the telly, computer, iPod, playstation, mobile phone ,,, etc etc etc ...

Quick question - this is the inaugural running of this event so how do you know the medal is B I G ?

• Options
    This Tread have more hits because its a new race.Not very long nowimage
  • Options

As I only do races if there is a medal, is it as big as the Picnic one which is the pride of my collection !

Bikermouse ... tell me more about the route...

• Options
  • Options

Hi speedy,

I am doing the Clarendon on the 4th Oct, have read your notes and will make sure I get my medal !

• Options

DavidWBush

Good Morning.Make sure you get them because Its not Cheap event.Good Luck

• Options

Speedy, calm down, you're starting to leave a trail. JK. image

DavidWBush - can only comment on the first, off road half, which is hilly but not silly so. Very scenic, not overly exposed. Plenty of interest. Lots of twists and turns.

the garden

• Options
    Thanks Bikermouse, looking forward to this one .... just have to find a half way decent hotel for the Saturday night as it is the only reason the other half is letting me do it ! She has become a bit of a 'runners widow' this year and I haven't yet told her that i am running 3 other marathons in October too !
  • Options

Bikermuse

What do you mean calm Down?

• Options
    Hello everyone. This will be my first marathon. I am very excited. And slightly anxious that I won't be able to walk the next day at work!!! Have made a 9 week running plan out of the tailor your own training plan tool on this site. Had to get my brother to convert all the mph speeds to kmh! Will I be ok do people think or is the steepness going to add extreme effort and ridiculousness to what is already a hard race (ie a Marathon) I am fit and training well, without injury but nervous that I may be about to bite off more than I can chew... I am truly Cornish, though; that's gotta help, surely??! =)
  • Options

Cathy

Morning.You Will be fine.take plenty of Water with you and pass yourself.This will be my 14th Marathon.I already dunn Newark Half.Hopefully no stickyness which I can not bear?

• Options

Hi Cathy,

Speedy is right, with a good training plan you should be fine. By running 4/5 times a week and increasing your long run by 2 miles each week to 20 and then allowing a 2/3 week taper the adrenalin on race day will carr you through. If you are anxious, don't set any mile per minute targets as these can be a liitle off putting in the early miles if you dont achieve them, or worse still, can mean that you start to quickly. Just split the race into 4 parts and worlk out roughly where you want to be as each hour passes, e.g between 6 and 7 miles at one hour. In the weel before the race eat lots of pasta and drink plenty of water and on the day before get your stuff ready and plan the start of the race in your mind.

I have done 6 marathons and have 4 more booked this year and am looking for forward to Eden. I am 46 and didn't start running until a year or so ago so it really is all about sensible training and a good frame of mind ! Don't worry about not walking the next day, it is pretty normal !

Good luck and see you on the day !

• Options

When you cross the finish line take time to rest and rehydrate. Put on some warm clothes then go for a slow mooch around Eden. Don't stay up too late. Take a long warm bath before bed and massage your legs. Don't jump in the car and go for a long drive until you have really worked some life back into your legs. Have a good lunch and dinner.

The route is hilly, but that's what is going to make it fun. It's not absurdly hilly. Just make sure you train on hills and not the flat.