Options

The 1st Eden Project Marathon

Comments

• Options

Karen Johnson 7

Good Afternoon

I already enter on the Eden website and you go for it.Full Marathon will be fun and hills .But trust me  we are mad.That will be my 16th Marathon to date.If you enter on the Eden website try to avoid sending ticket to the event because its £2.00 charge or print the ticket for Free after your Fee?

Good Luck

• Options

Hi Karen J 7.  I'm up for this marathon and I hate hills with a passion, plus I live in London so our 'hills' are country folks' flat image

I decided that I'd challenge myself with this event as I hate the cold and dark of winter and hills. The upside is I've wanted to visit the Eden Project since it first opened so that's my motivation to get training (or supposed to be, but that Chinese takeaway I had earlier was yummy!).

Do it!  You'll be keeping me company.

• Options

Hi all,

Seriously considering this one but it will only be three weeks after the London2Brighton 56m ultra. The hills will be ok though as I just did the Trionium Picnic and that was 6500 feet of ascent ! Besides, all that talk about pasties has swung it for me !

How near to full is it?

Would be cool to do the 'first' ever one but did anyone confirm if there would be a medal though ?

• Options

David W Bush

Good Morning

Last I look .Its nearly full.If You enter on the Eden Website you can print you ticket off there avoided £2 P&P?image

• Options

morning

i cant stand hills

• Options
    paskhapaskha ✭✭✭

hallo, i haven't posted on runners world for about 4 yrs, hey! I'm not doing any events as have dodgy hip for over a year now, but would be fun to come along to support, only an hour on the train Pz-St A, then 3 mile cycle/walk/run to eden, I have memorised the date ...

as for not liking hills, hipps, you LOVE them! don't you?

well I love them, I hate flat, actually I fancied doing abit of training in the humid biome, you can visit free for a year after you've been once, so it's good for locals, well it should've been, but I went with my sons, so we got on the (incredibly expensive) bus from St Austell stn, as the bus was SOOO expensive, paying for combined eden entry & bus made sense ... but at eden they told me we couldn't have the Annual pass cos I'd paid a "third party" - poo

I got over "not doing the event" at Dartmoor a few weeks ago, when I went along to support my sister doing it, so hopefully I can enjoy supporting eden, in my fetch t-shirt!

• Options

Hello everyone,

After the stunning success of my first marathon, the Neolithic Marathon in May - um, well I didn't die anyway - and more importantly the mention of pasties I am now in for this one. I did vow halfway across Salisbury Plain that I would never look at another hill again but time & beer is a great healer so back into it all over again !

One very important question that I have yet to see an answer to:

Can I buy Sharps Eden Ale somewhere very close to the finish  ?

imageimage

• Options

Hi Cynicuk,

I am also considering this one and did the neolithic as my first XC marathon (...how did you do??). I would have thought that this one would be easier ?

Anyway, the pasties and the ale will certainly overcome the hills !

• Options

Hi David,

I staggered home in just over 5 hrs happy to have finished my first, what about you ?

One thing I have learnt from years of holidays in Cornwall along with some running down there is if they think it is "undulating" then the rest of us would call it "bloody hilly" so be very wary of local descriptions when judging how tough or not  it might be ! image

• Options

Hi Cynicuk,

I managed 4:12 which ironically is my pb ! I had done London and New York with my twin brother in 2006 and in both cases, he was injured and as we were running together, I had pulled up too giving me 4:38 and 4:32 and Paris four weeks before the neolithic where I tore a muscle in my quad and walked/limped/crawled home from mile 9 taking 4:54.

My latest was the Picnic on Saturday, billed as the hardest in Britain with 6500 feet of ascent (and descent) including over a mile of almost vertical steps. I did it in 6:28 and still can't walk !

• Options

Hello,

I seem to have signed up for this one too (and my OH for her first half) image

So I guess the list now reads:

Flipperjane
    Plodding hippo
    Kittenkat
    Bikermouse
    Mr Noelene
    Stuart Little

• Options

Stuart Little 2

There 3 P and people I remember from another forum you mention above and by the way you enteredimage

• Options

That should be better... image

Flipperjane
    Plodding hippo
    Kittenkat
    Bikermouse
    Mr Noelene
    CafeWanda
    TommyGun2
    Mark Haseldine
    MrPerfect
    Stuart Little

• Options
    You,Plodding Hippo,KittenKat so farimage
  • Options

Hi guys

I have just booked online ..... see you all there !

• Options

David W Bush

I Think the Entry includes in Eden project too?

I can not wait?

• Options

Hi Speedy,

I did the eden project a few years ago and it is well worth a visit, running from and to it will be fantastic. I have downloaded the route and am keen to plot it on gmaps pedometer to see what the hills are like !

Looks like a good turn out from RW so far !

• Options

DavidWBush

I will use my Nike+ Armband to see the route.According to RW its filling up fast........................?

Can you tell me if any Premier Inn near to the Eden please?

• Options

Hi Speedy,

I am about 150 miles away so sorry, I don't know. I will also need to look out for a hotel. 

• Options

DavidWBush

Are You Wellimage 

Sizzaling Summer is nearly karmer this Friday 24 to 26c and warmer this Weekend.This Friday i will do 10miles in that evening and Saturday Golf and Next saturday I.m get my new Bike.So I may struggle to find time for running until my Marathons start again in Augustimage

• Options
    You are right about the heat. On Sunday I did a 10 miler in 26 degrees, and then on Tuesday did a 7.5 miler in 29 degrees. I was due to go out today but in my garden, which is south facing and a real sun trap, the thermometer read 40 degrees in the direct sunlight ..... I gave the running a miss and stayed at home with a cold budweiser instead !
  • Options

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_73.gif http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_9_10.gif DavidWBush

Tomorrow Night I will do 10miles from 7.30pm and I think it will be cooler then but wait for it............?

Rain may come tomorrow.But I will feel very humitedy this weekend through?

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/28/28_2_3v.gif
    We use our Patio more then ever for Breakfast and tea outside sometime?

Speak to you later?

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb098&pp=ZRman000

• Options

Ahh my eyes - smiley overload ! image

In answer to your earlier question Speedy37 there is the St Austell Premier Inn that is about 2 miles from the Eden Project, 4 miles from St Austell itself, it has a Table Table restaurant attached - I know 'cos I drove past it last week and booked myself in while I was there.

There is the offer of free breakfast for Marathon runners and their familes or another offer on where you can pay £20 and get some convoluted deal involving dinner and breakfast - it was lost on me tbh.

Oh and the room is £60.

Hope all that helps !

And here it is: St Austell Premier Inn

• Options

Cynicuk

imageThankyou for the information.I booked it about 10minutes on line.But what is this FREE BREAKFAST for us.How can I do this.Will Premier Inn Know or I have to pay.Its only me going?

Will you do the Run

imageThank You

• Options

Speedy,

When you book, just say you are doing the Eden Project Marathon and they will book your free breakfast. Give me a message if there is a problem.

Paul

• Options

Nah I am just booked in for dinner and breakfast and a night away !  image

Of course I am running  ! Well a mix of running and staggering if my last marathon was anything to go by....

The woman at Premier Inn central booking said the arrangement will be a local one and to mention it when checking in- it is mentioned on the St Austell Running Club website under accommodation offers.

• Options

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_5_44.gif   Paul

I make a note of that before I Go down.what about Dinner or not after the Event?

You going to the event

PREMIER INN MORE SAFER FOR ME I THINK AND GREAT VALUE FOR MONEY ie STEAK http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_5_25.gif  http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_5_27.gif 

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_5_44.gif

I CANT WAIT

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb113&pp=ZRman000

• Options

I'll be there Speedy and there's a Pasta Party at Eden on the Saturday Evening, which you're welcome to attend.

See you thereimage

• Options
    We should meet up on that satuday for a meal or run?image
  • Options

If anyone wants a short run around a part of the course on the Saturday, we can sort that out quite easily. Maybe 30-40 minutes as I wouldn't want to run much further the day before.

Let me know and we'll arrange it.