Options

Not able to run 5k thread

Comments

• Options
    TeePeeDee - good luck for the 16 of May.  I'm not sure what the pins and needles are about, I'm no expert so maybe the other my beable to put some light on that for you,
  • Options

TeePeeDee - check out this months magazine page 40 about pins and needles.

• Options

Well disaster today for me. After 6 months on treadmill and now being able to jog 4k on treadmill. I plucked up courage this morning and went out on road with my son. Manage just over half a mile before i had to stop. Then had to stop go rest of way. In total covered just over two miles. I am gutted all this time on treadmill and i have so little to show for it.. Will not give in but I have had a real eye opener this morning. I think I need to up my pace on treadmill which i will do over the next few weeks.And i will also go out on the road once a week  Feel very down at moment but i am not going to give in. Im 52 now and think its my last chance to getimage fit. 

• Options

hellooo all.  Ran today.  Did 17 mins before I had to stop and walk - a PB!!  No idea how far I went in that time though as sodding garmin 50 footpod is bust.    Enjoyed the sunshine though so roll on tuesday night and I will got out again

• Options

I went out this morning and it was lovely image Beautiful blue skies, just a nice temperature, and very few people/cars around. I ran 3.8km in 26 minutes, did put a 30 second walk in at about 16 minutes just to make sure that I didn't get too tired at the end but I think I could have managed without.

I'll probably do that again on Tuesday but will try to go without the walk break if possible.

• Options

Well done fleetstreet and sallya your getting there another month or so and you you wont need this forum again.I just wished Id gone out on the street earlier its a lot different and harder

Best

Wishes

Huw

• Options
    Thanks Huw - I had done about 6 months of walking and cycling in the gym before I started running, and thought I was pretty fit, but it was a real shock the first time I went out for a run on the roads. I felt so unfit, LOL!!
  • Options

Yea i Know what you mean. I was tottaly gutted yesterday first time on road for me. Going to get out once every week for next month

Huw

• Options

Well done everybody.

inspurs don't give up. maybe you ran al little too fast on the road.  I always had that trouble. I always felt I could go faster but could never keep it going.

• Options

Thanks Woolywolf I think that maybe thats part of my problem. Need to build my speed up on treadmil a bit. I know i havent beenn running very fast using treadmill

Huw

• Options
    Ok everyone, I am not seeing progress this week... again.  I' getting depressed about this whole thing.  I can't even get up to 1/4 of a mile.
  • Options

Thanks woolywolf and Paula thanks I will check out the pins and needles article (I must admit to not have been running since I am a little worried about them coming back and when I am a mile and a half outside my front door rather than a few hundred meters) but tomorrow I am running no matter what!

Inana, stick with it I am remember progress can be as simple as taking one more step of running and one less of walking, YOU WILL GET THERE!

• Options

went back out again today.... And got further before resorting to run walking than last time YAY I recon it must be approching the 1.5 minute mile before I resorted to any walking....

Sadly the pins and needles returned about the same place if this continues I WILL have to stop image I'll try investing in some better shoes and see if that helps at all.

Also note to american Tourist motorists asking a gasping barely able to talk sweating for England Tony for directions may not be the best idea grrrrrrrrrrrr image.

• Options

I've just done 4.5km in just over 31 minutes, with two 60 second walk breaks at 15 and 25 minutes - that's the furthest I've covered so far image I think I could possibly have just had the one break at 20 minutes though, but I prefer to be a bit cautious at first image

It's a gorgeous evening out there though, really lovely, and I really enjoyed my run tonight image

• Options

Well done sallya you will soon be running a marathon. Keep up the good work

Huw

• Options

Huw - how you getting on? Have you been out on the road again yet?  Don't lose hope - you will get there, you are doing fabulously even trying in the first place.

Went out this morning with a running friend from work - we did 6k in 41 mins.  So pleased.  We ran 3k (1.9miles) before I had to have a little walking rest so that was 20 mins continuous running - I actually feel as if I am getting somewhere at long last! yay me.  

• Options

hspurs - do you run on the flat when using a treadmill.  If so set the treadmill to a slight incline to mimick road running better, or just give up the gym altogether and get out there.  I loved it when I gave up the gym, I had no idea that I would enjoy the outdoors so much.  I will even run in the hail and snow.  I never get bored and I really appreciate the green space, living in London I guess I don't get much usually.

Did some hills this morning for the first time, thought I was going to die image reminded me of the days I could only run for 30s.

Fleet Girl - yay you!

Sallya - have you entered for a 5k race yet?

Inana Smith -  I would recommend you concentrate on time rather than distance until you can run for 30 mins non stop.  I find my biggest encouragement is my running calendar where a put a big black tick if I go for a run, there are no crosses on my calendar just ticks.  I also note when I'm ill and my periods in red so I can see the effect on my running.  Some people give themself a reward after so many ticks, but I'm happy just seeing them!

TeePeeDee - sorry to hear it hasn't got any better.

• Options

Hi Paula - I have entered a Race for Life, but it's not until the end of July. On the one hand, I wish it was sooner because I'm impatient like that, but on the other hand I'm hopeful that by July I should be able to run the 5k comfortably and maybe even have some time to work on my speed as well (I'm not the speediest of people out there!)

Fleet Girl - Well done you image

• Options

Thanks fleetgirl and paula for encouragement and advice. Going out on road again on monday with my sons. Have been on treadmill  3 times this week increased speed to 6.2 k from 6.0k and stayed at 40 minutes. Im hoping its just the speed im running on treadmill is two slow will increase everyweek till i get 5k in 40 minutes. In meantime have arrange to do road work with my sons once a week will get there.

Fleetgirl I think your getting to the stage you should go for it and enter a 5k. your doing very well.

Paula Hi I used to leave treadmill on incline up to a month ago, But tried on flat and and could run 10 minutes more. I am going to do more outdoor work but need to build up my confidence.

Thanks Both

Huw

• Options

Sallya - Race for Life is brilliant, which one are you doing?  I started running by training for a RFL, got hooked and haven't looked back!

Huw - no probs! glad to have helped, I find this thread very encouraging myself.

• Options

Too late for that - I have entered a 10k (yes that's right 10) which is 4 weeks today.  I entered it before Christmas foolishly thinking it would be loads of time to train - how wrong I was. Still, going to give it a go and if I am last then so be it.

• Options

Paula - I'm doing the Telford race, I've been looking around to see if there's another local 5km race before the end of July but can't see anything suitable at the moment.

Fleet Girl - Good luck for your 10k! I'm hoping to be able to do 10k by the end of the year, if all goes well.

I went out for a run today, and did 4.35km which was slightly less than Wednesday's run BUT I ran it in 30.01 minutes without any walk breaks at all! The last stretch of my runs is all uphill, so I'm fairly sure that I should be at 5km within a month or so image

• Options
    Woohoo, went for a run this morning and ran for 5.5k without stopping! yay. Can't believe I finally did it. Took me 36 mins so fairly slow but who cares!  Feel great.
  • Options

I would like to join the this club, started running this week after a 10 year break from any exercise .  I have entered a 5k race in June to add a little motivation and hope to run from start to finish.  Week 2 training looks a little daunting after just about achieving week 1 goals. 

• Options
    Hello all, I'm off with a poorly knee having reached 4k, going out for my first plod a week on Tuesday, which will mark me having been off all exercise for three weeks, and I will be going right back to square one. image
  • Options

Fleetgirl well done on reaching your goal. Thats a great achivement.

Legs in pain what a great name I can relate to that.Welcome to the club.

Carlywhoo Sorry to here about your injury hope all goes well this week. Hopefully by the end of april you will have done your 5k

Regards Huw

• Options

Thanks Huw.  Keep it up and we will be able to start a "Let's all get from 5k to 10k" thread!

Carlywoo - you might be surprised. I have had 2 breaks (1 for 3 weeks, and 1 for 2 weeks) due to injuries and have been really worried about being back at square one, and found that actually I hadn't really lost much fitness at all (not that I had built much up in the first place, but you know what I mean!)

• Options

That's what I'm hoping FG, that way I can treat the first two weeks as therapy rather than actual training, really break myself in gently!

Well done on smashing the 5k by the way, that's a great achievment image

• Options
    I would like to join this thread..trying to start running again - this time following a BUPA 5k training plan.

Completed week 1 - had to break for a week due to an unrelated injury - now picking it up again (after a mini rerun of week 1) and week 2 commences tomorrow

Never followed a plan before - so this time I am feeling more confident.

Very interesting to see that others also struggle with these early run/walk stages - gives me hope!!
  • Options

slo_mo.  welcome. I was a massive struggler in the early stages and it has taken 3 months (with 2 breaks due to injuries) to get to runing 5k without a break.  I am still slow but finally did it.  I hadn't done any exercise since school, am asthmatic and smoke, if I can do it - anyone can!