Options

Does height affect running?

Comments

• Options

I'm sorry I missed all that, I was too busy ploughing through this gateux..... image

God, I need to go to work. Get off the forum

• Options

I know what you mean PSC, BMI should stand for something else...I dunno.... Bollocks Mis Information

Hey, I am good at thisimage

• Options

or Blimey, Medically Inaccurate image

Any cake left.  I'll finish it while you get yourself to work.

• Options

I will share PSC!  Diet starts tomorrow...Everything always starts tomorrow.

What's your fave cake???  After cupcakes it would have to be battenburg, or malt loaf with butter (though I am not sure if that qualifies as cake, strictly speaking?)image

• Options

Stump, can i ask what you mean about not wanting the lifestyle that goes with being 8 stone??

• Options

As someone who does weigh 8 stone, I kind of take exception to the assumption that I don't eat. I do eat (loads in fact) - but I also run 40-odd miles a week. And I'm sure the elites are running a helluva lot more than that so they probably eat loads!

I actually eat more than my 6ft 13.5 stone husband - much to his amusement - and that includes chocolate, cake, crisps etc. It bugs me that people make the assumption that because I'm thin I must starve myself. And I'm not naturally skinny (I've lost 2.5 stone).

• Options

Sydney and Ferdy, I don't think anyone assumes whoever weighs 8 stone must not eat. If I wanted to weigh 8 stone (which would be rather underwight for my height) I'd have to eat ALOT less than I do now. The lowest I've ever been was 8 and a half and I looked like a bag of bones, although at the time I thought I looked good. But I have friends who are much shorter than I am, who are around that weight and eat a normal amount and look in proportion.

RP, I've been running about 4 years, times have been coming down slowly - although the first year I was running I wasn't eating properly to try and stay lighter, and therefore my times stayed the same (and actually got a bit slower for a while) I don't see myself as fast, I just see how many people still finish in front of me! As they say, there's always room for improvement image   Cake? Well I don't clas malt loaf as a cake, but it's gotta be carrot cake (so my name is rather apt!)

• Options

I know loads of people that weigh 8 stone, and are small framed and small in height and look great...however, I think what we are saying is that if you are tall or of a large build you would probably look emaciated at that weight.

Like Carrot, I once got down to just over 8 stone (ages ago now), and I thought I still looked fat.  Later I saw photos of myself at the time with sticking out bones and sunken cheeks and could not believe it was me, I looked anorexic!  I am 5ft 10 and quite an athletic build so I would look dreadful at that sort of weight.

Ooh...carrot cake...mmm....You can't beat a chocolate brownie also.....mind you, that might not be a cake!  I think you are mega fast carrot...well impressed with your times!  When did you start to see significant improvements>?????

• Options

LOL...I am aiming for your weight...like when I got married...that's it folks...don't get married if you want to stay slim (joke!)

Well, Pizza Express was just ok to be honest.  I think there are far better places about, but it's a bargain on a Wednesday night, so I thought ...."what the heck?".......They don't normally allow animals in, but they make an exception for me, cos I leave a good tipimage!  Pizza is probably my fave food in the world, other than chocolate.   Do you rate it?  I always feel like 1) they are too small 2) they are lacking something!

• Options

I'm 5ft 6 and I know that appearance-wise I probably would look better with a few more pounds on me (although I have always had quite chubby cheeks so fortunately my face doesn't look gaunt) but I know that being lighter helps my running. Having said that, I dropped to 7st12 before Xmas and decided that, although it might cut a few secs off my race times, I'd started to look too thin and it wasn't worth it. The point I'm trying to make is that you can be thin AND healthy.

RP - they say that any change in training takes about six weeks to show up in your times so keep working at it and it will happen. And congrats on giving up smoking.

Oh, and I'm with RP on the Battenburg, closely followed by chocolate fudge brownie image

• Options

Ooh Ferdy...I wish I could send you some of my home made rocky road bars...you would love themimage!

Yes, I hear what you are saying, not everyone who is light looks emaciated, I am sure you look fine, and I hate you because you are obviously another speedy gonzales!!  Yep, I must keep on with the dreaded speed sessions, much as I hate them...6 weeks seems ages...sigh....image

• Options

I hate speed sessions too - I'm much rather be running on the beach - but they do work. And you'll get such a buzz when you do a race and set a new pb.

Mmm...home made rocky road bars sound lovely. I had the top layer of my wedding cake made out of rocky road. It was delicious!

• Options

I was just asking, as i think 8 stone for 5'4'' would be fine, i'm that height and my comfortable weight is about 8 and a half and i'm probably a comfortable 8 at that weight (i'm a bit over that at the moment but will get back there.....but doesn't mean i'll never be able to have cake!

I'd take cake over chocolate any day.....and never choose a chocolate cake, got to be carrot, or victoria sponge or lemon drizzle, something like that.....oh and i do love a good cheesecake! Yum yum!

• Options

Sydney - I made a baked raspberry cheesecake a few weeks ago. It was  gorgeaus (even if I do say so myself!)

Texas BBQ out of Domino's for me everytime.

• Options

OMG Ferdy....what a great idea for your wedding cake!! Why didn't I think of that?  Actually, such a pizza freak that I am (I got wed in Italy too)...that I actually wanted a huge pizza made to cut up rather than a cake...but the MIL would not hear of it (she decorates cakes too)...so a cake we had. 

I assume 1 speed session a week is adequate then?  My legs are still killing from Tuesdays pathetic attempt...especially the calfs...damn it!

We all seem to like Battenburg....that is odd, because a lot of people I know can't stand it on account of the marzipan, though I love marzipan.  Thorntons do a nice marzipan chocolate bar, but it's not easy to find marzipan generally is it (I mean chocolate marzipan, not to decorate a cake with).  

D2D...Pizza Express have started doing this ridiculous low fat pizza idea...its a pizza...with a large hole cut out in the middle, and in that whole is salad!  Can I ask...what is the point?  The pizza's are small enough without losing the entire middle bit to a poncy bit of rocket!!  No thanks!

Sydney...I forgot cheesecake...that is probably my third fave thing after pizza and chocolate, but I never really think of it as "cake" though I suppose it is.  I make a mean mars bar cheesecake, though if buying from the shops Tesco do an amazing lemon curd one....oh, what would I give for that right now!

RP

• Options

All this talking of food and cake is making me hungry!

I'm about 5ft 8 and quite big (12 stone) did one of those fat monitor things and it said I was 37% fat, just 3% off being obese! Nice.

On the cake front I like a good cheesecake too, quite partial to the odd custard tart image

• Options

LOL to the salad in the pizza idea!

RP - 1 speed session a week is definitely enough if you've never done them before. I generally do 2 "quality" sessions a week with shortish intervals (400-800m) one day and then a hill session or a tempo run (2-3 miles at race pace) or longer intervals (5-6min) on another day.

• Options

Ningabread.....Mmm Gingerbread?  I assume you are a fan? I have not had a gingerbread man for years and years.  What fat monitor things?  Do you mean scales?  If so, apparently they can be quite inaccurate, I am told.

I hate custard tart...one of the few foods I detest (along with fish)...not quite sure why, cos I love hot custard.

Ferdy, you sound really fit..I feel tired just reading that!image

• Options

Not really a fan of gingerbread, although I don't mind it...I got my name from a wii game and think it is hilarious! My bf is a bit fed up of me passing the game in a shop and holding it up and laughing!!

Anyway, the fat monitor was one of those little handheld things that you put your thumbs on, I don't really think it was accurate!

I am hoping to build up to the kind of things you do Ferdy...but I have only been running with any seriousness for about a month so early days yet!! image

• Options

Am going to try that lemonade idea!  I know the one you mean in Boots, and it's nice too.

LOL re Pret...it's like "low fat" crisps...have you felt how many are in a bag?  About 5...that's why they are low fat, there is nothing in there...likewise to low cal biscuits and cakes...image! .......Just less there!

Will give that veggie pizza a go, though I find Domino's hugely expensive. 

• Options
    Tunnocks tea cakes!!   Sorry, just remembered how good they are!
  • Options
    Oooh, i like those tea cakes!
  • Options

The girls I work with and I went through a real Tunnocks tea cake phase for a while - we even started buying them in bulk!

NBG - don't do too much too soon. I did that and ended up spending 6 months of my first year running out injured.

• Options
    Thanks for the advice Ferdy - I'm taking it quite slow at the moment, concentrating on feeling more comfortable doing a longer distance.