Options

Does height affect running?

Comments

• Options

Hi all!

Hi Syndey, how was your holiday?  Sorry if you have said this before, but what is your story? Are you an ex pat living in Aus?  How come?  How do you like it?  (daft question lol!).

I know what you mean about the booze.  Actually when I go home to visit my parents they are quite into their drink..not boozing all day, but they will have wine every night without fail, a proper ritual, and they always are offering it to me, and I get sick of saying "no thanks".  I am sure they think I must be pregnant or something as I always turn it downimage!  My brother has the same problem...he is much fitter and healthier than me, and he does go out drinking, but not all the time, and he hates the way it makes him feel and the impact it has on his biking etc, so he will go through periods of not bothering.  They don't try and convince me to have it or anything, I think they just think I am a bit odd.  Whatever.

I hate how people think there must be something wrong if you don't want to drink...i.e pregnant, or ill, or on medication, or a strict diet, when in actual fact, you just don't want any!! Arghhh.....its so annoying.  Saying that, I have no desire to be completely teetotal, I just prefer not to bother most of the time, but if I was going out or it was a special occasion, I think it is proper and right to have a drink, and get slightly tipsyimage.

Re running.....I could not run after my evening meal, no way.  But I am used to eating late, and normally eat about 9pm anyway whether I am running or not, so it makes no difference.

RP

• Options

Yes, I totally agree.  I think people are getting into the mindset more these days that eating late is not such a bad thing.  I have thought this for a while myself...a calorie is a calorie, and I have heard it said many times it does not matter what time it is consumed, which I tend to agree with.......However, obviously if you are stuffing your face with chips or pizza at 11pm it is not going to be great!........Not that I would ever do such a thingimage!!!

I also eat my lunch late....sometimes...erm...at 4pm!  It does not bother me too much because I am used to that too...and I know if I ate at 12 like everyone else seems to then I would be starving by 5 and end up having an extra meal or something!  I do need to work on having breakfast though, because I just don't bother normally, maybe a banana about 11, if that, but I am not a morning person, and am up at 6 and no way could I eat at that time.

Often the other thing happens to me re late night eating though....I wake up starving!!

• Options

Hey, i think i just don't like the feeling of going to bed full but i do agree its what you eat not when!

RP, i'm english, moved over to sydney just over a year ago with work....have been very unsettled for a while but finally think i'm settling in, have made friends and have started getting away more and seeing places. I was planning on staying for 2 years but i don't think i'll be ready to come back by april so may have to stay longer...so long as i have a job!

I'm an early to bed person, usually around 9:30 - 10ish. I want to get a rucksack that i can run with so then i can get the train into work and run home so i get my run in and still home for about 7....i'll shop for one at the weekend. I just need to get into the routine again and i'll be fine!

I haven't run for a week now due to being away....RP it was fab, the best thing i've done in oz so far! I'm so shattered though!

• Options

Sydney - that sounds lovely. Having just come in from a 5 mile run in the pouring rain, I'm very jealous!

D2D - read about your injury on the other thread. It's incredibly frustrating when you can't run, isn't it - and non-runners just don't understand! However hard it is though, give yourself the time to heal properly and try to get your exercise fix some other way. When my IT band syndrome was really bad I couldn't bend my knee at all so running, cycling and swimming were all out. My OH bought me a punchbag so that I could get a bit of a cardio workout from it AND take out all my frustrations!

I did a 10K at the weekend in my home town. It was a tough course and pretty windy but I managed 42:18 which I was fairly happy with. The best bit was that I was 5th out of 140+ women. It was particularly satisfying as this race has been running since I was at school but I never did any sport then and if you'd told me then that 20 years later I'd be 5th in it I'd have thought you were mad!

• Options

Ferdy...go away...you are far too fast!!  

That is a brilliant time.......How long have you been running?  I am not being funny, I don't know any blokes who could do a 10k in that time.  Of course there will be some, but I don't know any!  To be 5th as well.....you must be on top of the world.  I bet you were as pleased as punch!  Good for you.  Do you prefer to do 10k's ???  What is your fave race distance?   Sorry...I am being nosey!

Sydney...wow...it sounds like you have an amazing life over there.  I can see the appeal, especially the weather.  There are 2 things that I would not want to live in Aus for, and that would be the fact that it is so far away from family and friends....I bet you miss people eh?  ...but the main reason is, I have a rather large spider phobia, and I can not imagine being surrounded by those big hairy spiders...OMG...I would be terrified!  Many is the time when I have had to call hubby on his mobile, when he is at the pub or something, to come home because there is a spider!! He comes, but is less than impressed...thinks it is stupidimage......I love all of the other "unique" animals you get over there though....like wombats and kangaroo's etc! I don't suppose you see many of them though on a daily basis??!

How is running over there compared to the UK?  Does the heat make it hard work?

RP

• Options

Thanks RP. My pb for 10K is actually 40:10 but it was set on a perfectly flat course - and sunday was anything but that. Unfortunately I know lots of men who are faster than me - most of the guys I train with in fact!

I've been running for about 3 and a half years and 10Ks are definitely not my favourite distance - they're too much like hard work. I don't know if I have a favourite distance - I like 5Ks because they're over quickly and 10 milers because you get to settle into a pace but it's not as long as a half. Mountain races are my favourite though.

• Options

Wow Ferdy....40 mins?  Way to go!  That is AMAZING!  There is this super fast guy who was on the Paris thread, and he did Paris in 2 hours 46, and I think his PB for a 10k is 36 mins, so you are not far behind him, and he is a practical running God...so you must be like a little whippet!  soooooo jealous.  Mind you, you obviously put the work in, which I never do, so there you go.

Urgh D2D...are you scared too?  I HATE them...I can't even kill them (not that I like killing things, infact I would not want to kill them, but even if I was wanted to I can't)...I can't get near enough to deal with them and put them outside.  I seriously think I need therapy or something.  I am literally not scared of anything else..I love rodents...mice and rats are fine, snakes don't bother me....even other creepy crawlies (though not a big fan) don't scare me, but spiders....argh!!

D2D "Red Kanga" or "Red Wombat" does not sound right!!!!

• Options

LOl...like if you cut a worm in half?!!  That's disgusting!  People think that they continue to live as two halfs, but its just the nerves causing involuntary movement...poor thing!

I am definately more scared of spiders than anything else...I HATE them!

• Options

Hey, great time Ferdy, you and D2D are well speedy!

RP, thats my main problem, being so far away from family and friends, its so difficult, sometimes I think i just want to see my mum now, and i can't just hop in a car and be there in a couple of hours! Thats the reason i'll probably never settle here...but its great for the next year or 2!

My running went completely out of the window when i came over, partly i just got out of my routine, i used to run with a club in the UK and loved it and don't have that here...also just being really unsettled didn't help....and then summer came and it was so hot, i do really struggle in the heat, but now its winter and i'm settled in i have no excuse. Especially when there are gorgeous coastal paths right outside my front door!

On the spider front, there have only been 2 in the past year, one in the house when we moved in which my flat mate got rid of and one in the shower when i'd been away for a week and not covered the plug hole up. Luckily my mum was here and she got rid of it and only told me she was petrified after it had gone, bless her! But besides that i've had no problems!

I'm really scared of dogs, i was hurt by one when i was younger and cannot go near them which is really difficult when friends have them as i think people get really offended when you say you can't be near their dog....i always get the "oh but you won't be scared of my dog" or "he won't hurt you" - thats not the point, a spider won't hurt you but you still get scared! I can't help it! Also this meant i was extra scared of the dingoes at the weekend!

• Options

Dingo is like a wild dog - quite scrawny looking. They can be dangerous but often don't bother you unless you bother it.....but they're all over fraser island so you hav to be careful - i.e. not going off on your own etc.

That sounds like an awful experience, i really like the look of some dogs and as i get older i'm much better at staying calm and knowing when one isn't going to bother me but i still get scared and some i just can't go near.....

• Options

Good morning!

Ah....scared of dogs you two?  That is terrible! I am a total dog lover, adore them.  Mine is a big fluffy bear, and is totally adorable.  If I had my way I would have a house full of mutts, but my other half always spoils the fun! I wanted a St Bernard originally, but hubby said "no" so we now have an Akita...I like big dogs.  He weighs 9 stone!

It's funny the things people have phobias of.  I can understand dogs, because they can hurt you, and spiders to a degree, but things like balloons, and buttons etc! There are all kinds of phobias about, its mad.

I can't believe how many things you are scared of D2D.!!!  That is mad!  I can honestly say that spiders are the only thing, though I am not crazy about heights.  I must say I almost have a phobia about sick as well.  I know that its disgusting, and I can't bear being sick ( I could never be bullimic LOL!)...and I can't be around anyone who is sick...God knows what I would do if I have kids...urgh, I hate it, but nothing else bothers me, don't mind other bodily waste LOL!

It sounds lovely in Australia...I bet you have a real out doorsy life?

• Options

LOl...No I could not be a doctor.....just as well I am not clever enough too eh?image

No my dog is too lazy to jump up..he never jumps up, he is just the most chilled animal ever, I forget I have a dog sometimes.  He makes no noise other than if the doorbell goes, and he does not smell or shed a lot of hair either, he is a dream. I could not be doing with one of these yappy dogs, it would drive me insane.

My dog is friends with this really cute King Charles spaniel...who funnily enough is the most spoilt dog ever! His owners go to Selfridges and buy him coats and sparkly collars and all sorts! He even has this Harris Tweed coat....God knows what that must have cost.  He also has dog aftershave and stuff! I think it is a bit wrong myself, but he is certainly happy enoughimage

• Options
    Ruff Lauren....And instead of Gucci...how about "Pucci"..LOL....Oh it is funny..there are loads of dog grooming parlours near us with the most funny names ...Posh Paws etc etc!!
  • Options

And also....Don't be cruel !image

• Options

Ha ha, the topics on this thread keep evolving, love it!

There are quite a few dogs i think are gorgeous and i'd hope to get over my fear one day and have one, would have to be small though, i love west highland terriers, they're cute. I could never have anything like an alsatian (thats the dog that hurt me)....i watched marley and me a while ago and cried my eyes out, i came out of the cinema and my housemate thought it was hilarious that i don't even like dogs yet was devastaed by this movie....its made me find dogs a lot cuter (most of them anyway!)

Yeah i'm loving australia, although its taken me about a year to settle in, i'm so glad i did it, when i was offered the job i couldn't turn it down, i knew i'd always regret it if i didn't go and i hadn't done much travelling so i'm using it to get away and see as much as possible. It is a very outdoors lifestyle, lots of camping trips, beach, coastal and bush walking, cycling, just a different life to what i had back in the UK, its taken a lot of getting used to, i didn't slip into it as easily as most other people seem to.

We're currently planning 2 trips for june. The first is a trip to the Barossa valley wine region and Kangaroo Island in South Australia as we have a long weekend in june for the queen's birthday and then at the end of the month we're doing "christmas" - basically its the coldest time of year and so loads of poms go up to the mountains and stay in a log cabin and have an english christmas day.....should be fun but a little odd! And then i'm home for 3 weeks in july!

• Options
    for me to weigh 8 stone, you'd have to strip all the flesh off my skeleton, dig out my internal organs and  remove both femurs. even then...
  • Options
    I've been 8 stone and looked perfectly healthy, i have a curvy figure and still had my curves but just looked really petite.....i'm now 10st and in my opinion look chubby! I also ran a lot better when lighter, its much harder work shifting this extra weight around! I'm 5'4'' btw....
  • Options

LOl...you would have to chop my legs and head off for me to be 8 stone.  I seriously don't ever remember being 8 stone...but I suppose I am quite tall.  It would be nice to be lighter, as you say, it is much harder work lugging extra weight around.

Sydney, that sounds lovely.  You sound like you have a great life over there.  No regrets about moving then?  How does the cost of living compare to the UK?  I heard somewhere that property is much better value over there, and the average Australian has a swimming pool in their garden.  is that true?  Ah, that would be the best thing ever....a nice sunny weekend...lazing by the pool, swimming, a nice BBQ....it sounds like being on holiday every day...you lucky thing.image

• Options

Definitely no regrets, although the past year has been extremely hard and emotional and its taken that long to settle in and build a life here, it really is the hardest thing i've ever done but looks like its all paying off as i'm so much happier now and really enjoying all the new experiences!

I started to doubt it a few months ago, i was so homesick and thought i would never make as good friends here as i had at home etc. but that seems to have passed now, i've found a bunch of people who are in the same boat as me which makes such a difference and now i'm having a great time.

I still miss my family and friends so much but it was a once in a lifetime opportunity i would have regretted if i hadn't taken it and i'll come home in a year or 2 (probably) so its not forever!

• Options

Enjoy it while you can.  You are at the right stage in your life when you can do stuff like that, rather than being tied down.  Enjoy every minute, as you say, it is a great opportunity that you might not have gotten again.

xx