Options

Team TD Sub-4

Comments

• Options

Leeds Rob:  Fantastic run - a PB good for youimageimageimage

Well I;m now back in sunny thopre bay having had a 4 hour car journey - and amazingly I'm not stiff at allimage - body held together and I did a PB:  1hr 53mins 22 secs!!!!!  Was amazed and oh so pleased.  It was the most hilly run I've ever done - undulating in wolverhampton speak is hilly.  All of the hills in the last 6 miles.  We literally meandered down hill and had a few gentle inclines through some interesting places, and on grass (bit of a surprise that one).  Then we arrived heading towards Codsall - at this point I had listened to my watch and was very comfortable and thinking this is great did a pb for the 10k split and stil everything running smoothly. 

Then the hills arrived.  You literally climb a hil, then 0.2 mile level or slight decline (if that is opposite of incline) then another incline.  The longest of about 3/4 of a mile with a steep bit at the top.  I knew things would get worse when I muttered under my breath "please god let this be the last" - number 4, and some kind runner went "no just two more" help me I thought.  Anyway at top of hill number 5, there was an interlude in the form of a lovely 3/4 mile downhill bit image.  Whoopee I thought, hubbie and kiddies at bottom out side pub, and I knew then only 2.5 miles to go.  Yep you guessed 2.3 miles of it were all up hill!!!    Bully watch kept telling me to speed up on the last up hill

Anyway was so happy, had an immense blip at 12.7 miles, then saw finish line and very nice south aftrican man, yelled don;'t stop moving!!  So I didn';t being a good girl did what I was told and ran for my life!!  A very happy lady producing a 1:53:29 (official time 1:54.01)   A PB by some 15 mins!! I then walked for 5 mins drank my drink and did a gentle 2.5 mile trott back to the pub to meet hubbie and friends!!!!!!

A good omen for Windsor - the hill is on the way out not backimage.

I still can't really believe it sub 1.55, 1.53.29.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Great stuff, Rob.That 46 will be yours , soon.
    And...
    Your Royal Highness....!!! Well done,Fimage You must be delighted.1.50 beckons..
  • Options
    ATM:  thank you so much - even more amazingly I came 8th in the 40 to under 45 age group!!  Stunned by that oneimage.
  • Options

Fiona

Well done on breaking the magical 2hr barrier and knocking 15mins off your PB.
    8th in your age group???? You should of come firstimage

• Options
    DD: thank you for the kind thoughts.  Am 45 next month with that time would have come in 3rd place!!!!! 
  • Options

Well done Fi!

Thanks all.

• Options

OMG you guys are all getting so speedy LR that was a spectacular effort on your 10k Fizz is right the seconds are really not that important!  Hows the hip today?

Fi - what can I say other than I am totally intimidated now!!! Ahhh Windsor I am going to be miles behind you!!! Go girl well done you must be so pleasedimageimageimage

My pt dilemma still goes on saw old/new one on Friday and he did actually give me quite a good workout and I have lost 4lbs already.  But on the negative side I came away thinking he had done a good workout on my legs but really Mick is better on the running side of things.  Feel v.unmotivated too as if I am in limbo so think I will just go back to Mick and continue the diet myself.

20km for me on Sunday - had some joker outside a pub yelling "Come on Radcliffe" to me.. I had my earphones on so pretended not to hear...  Mr NGUG did his first 12km pf giving him a bit of jip I think - came home had a shower and then fell asleep on the sofa... ah bless..

• Options

NGUG:  excellent on the 20km sunday - radcliffe is no patch on you!!!  Windsor will be a fab day, need to figure out how getting there.  No-one in the claxton household is really interested in coming so I am happy to drive and pick you up on the way through.  Would get to you for about 8.30am which will get us to Windsor by 11.30 - start of race is 1pm so loads of time for road closures etc.  Let me know your thoughts. 

On the PT front, if new/old pt would help you with diet, could always alternate them.  Have Mick one week then work out/diet session the following one.  Or if you have the diet sheets stick to them and use Mick.  Ask mick to help you by doing a weigh in every week.  Well done on the 4ibs bit.  Must admit lost 4lbs just running yesterday.  Did my 4 mile recovery this morning on a lovely sunny and warm september day!!

• Options

Proof that I can run!!!

http://mickhall-photos.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=542346&g2_serialNumber=1&g2_GALLERYSID=87ccad97e82d6cf6e9f5b834c31edea0

this is a the end and I'm still smiling!!!

• Options

Nice picture Fi! Am looking forward to Windsor too.  Cant imagine my family will be interested in coming either so a lift would be great.  Timings sound sensible too.  Will let you have my address (might help!).

I was thinking along the same lines myself with pt - have the diet sheets so can use them.  Just have to be disaplined.  Could go to David for check-ups re diet every now and then.  He was v.good anyway giving me freebe advice by email but I didnt want to take the mick (hoho) too much.

• Options
    NGUG:  it probably is the best option to go for, and you know you can be disciplined -you run and do ju jistu (sorry about spelling).  Which gels do you use?  Re Windsor will correspond via email for your address and defininte timings - good excuse for a picnic me thinks!!!!  Obviously with a celebratory and medicinal bottle of Champers for the after race party - we could always invite the Queen and Prince Philip if they are free to join us for a glass and afternoon teaimage.

Need some advice4 - no change there then - have finally purchased a sis marathon belt for gels.  Now for the big decision which ones should I use and at what distance into the 1/2 marathon.  Halfway point, 10 miles or every 1/2 hour?  Remembering my stomach is a touch dodgy at the best of times.  Which are the best tasting?  Most effective.   Keep looking at them and get all confused!!  Don't really want to have to take on a lot of water.!! Any gems of wisdom much appreciated!!!!!!

• Options

Hi everyone.  Great racing Fi & Rob. Am somewhat jealous. First day back at work today and feeling great - every time I cough I'm getting sharp stares from colleagues.  I've put myself in 'quarantine' in a desk miles from anyone else.  Might as well have stayed at home for all the social interraction I'm having.

Rob: can't believe you have a downer on yourself.  How about, "Despite underlying injury and a hilly course, beat my PB and was a mere 4 seconds away from ultimate goal time, probably down to mistake of using Garmin average pace figure to guage my running speed"!! My hat is off to you. The 46min barrier will tumble given conditions closer to ideal.  You shouldn't harbour any negative thoughts at all because it was a great performance.

Fi - lovely pic and a great time for a half.  It really does make sense to pay attention to the age classification categories.  You should be delighted with that.

I played a friendly hockey match yesterday and ran pretty hard but I felt exhausted and really dizzy at the end, so I am well aware that I can't be pushing myself with running right now.  Have abandoned my goal of running a marathon in October now.  

• Options
    Tricky - have come to the same conclusion myself - not enough miles under the belt and injury not cleared soon enough.  V.disappointingimage
  • Options

Rob:  I agree with Tricky, you ran fab in a less than perfect situation and still did a PB, an immense achievement imageimage.  Don't you think you may be being (poor english I know) a tad hard on yourself, or are you just a perfectionist.  Anyway I trusted you and look what I managed, you lot have far more faith in my abilities than I do!!

TD:   Am so pleased to here that you are feeling better, even if you are obviously still far from recovered.  It's a pity about the marathon in October, how about finding one at christmas, running through snow just for the extra challenge of ti all!!!  Was very happy bunny, and extremely surprised by the time, thought I'd blown it at 12.7 miles but managed to put one foot in front of the other, along with large south aftrican man shouting at me to not dare stop moving!!  Windosr next and will try the same tactics, oh and also have bought some gels that I'm going to try on sunday. 

• Options

You're probably right.  I guess I was dissapointed by the 'so near and yet so far'.

Made me more determined for this week's little racey image

How much slower should 10 mile race pace (per mile) than 10k?  I think I recall seeing 15 seconds somewhere but can't be sure.  I think I'll go for 24s slower i.e 7.45 a mile - seem reasonable?

• Options
    God technical question *quickly flicks to the other thread*....
  • Options
    Rob:  for technical questions where is TD when one needs him!!  Probably working hard in his confinement chamber!!  Set your garmin to bleep if you go slower than 8mm or faster than 7,30mm that way average will be 7,45mm - is that any help?image
  • Options

LR - I suggest using a race speed calculator like this:

From your 10K time it is suggesting a 10m time of 1:16:38, which is running at 4:43/km pace or 7:36m/m.

• Options
    Thank goodness Tricky is back and answering techie questions!! 
  • Options
    7:36 for 10 miles.  That sounds a toughie.  At least its uniformly flat, but the early forecast is that it'll be a bit warm at 18/20c.
  • Options
    Can I hear northern type whining there?!  Bit too hilly, bit too fast, bit too warm..... imageimage
  • Options
    Hilly I can live with (unless I'm after a time) but heat is my nemesis.  Anything over 10c is tropical southern wuss weather in which I wilt image
  • Options
    Rob: you are obviously not a hot house fussy flower then!!  Am sure TD meant to type winning not whining or should it have been whinging!!
  • Options

Tricky - u feeling better now?? 

Rob - you can cope - though I do agree cool weather is much better - you'll be fine at the wkend no worries.  I think my massage has almost sorted my hip feeling a bit peeved I didnt try it before.. 

• Options

Quick question...

...miles or kilometres?

I've always measured in miles on the Garmin when running with autolap beeping lap times every mile but for the recent 10ks have switched to kilometres.

I'd planned to go back to miles for the 10 mile race (longer race, matches with mile markers, easy to work out how far through etc) but kilometres would have the advantage of giving me nudge to speed or slow in smaller intervals. so not so sure.

There's also the option of displaying the pace to date if I set it as one big 10 mile interval.

TD - you're the expert on all matters Garmin, is there a way of having it autolap every kilometre but also show somewhere on the screen average pace to date?  Ideally distance, pace to date, elapsed time and an auto lap every kilometre.

• Options

A tempo session for me today - going out later than usual - around 11ish so could be interesting.  Am going to try 10 min warm up, then 1 mile  at 8 mm (hopefully), recovery of 1/4 mile either 4 or 6 times then 1 mile trott home.  Will do 4 definitely and see how I feel, if ok then another 2!!  Never done this before so shall see how it goes!!

Rob:  you can set up a screen that shows that information - directions are in the hand book - I managed to program mine following the directions and I'm female so am sure a bright bunny like you can manage.  Being the male of the species you follow instructions very well I';m sureimageimage.  Have just looked in instruction booklet and on page 43 "settings" to make changes to data fields showing on your screens!!!  Good Luckimage

• Options

Yeah Rob, you can set the Garmin screen to show PACE - Lap (average for the last lap, assuming AutoLap of 1km), but also to show PACE - Average - since you pressed the start button.  I usually have both on the display at the same time, along with time and distance or HR.

NGUG - am starting to feel better, like my chest is not fully of goo but honestly, still not properly recovered.  Have done a bit of running at hockey training but not done a proper run in 15 days.  Will try to go for a 5 miler tomorrow in the woods.   Think these chest infections can take up to 4 weeks to fully right themselves, so I am just starting week 3.

• Options

TD:  so pleased you are on the road to recovery, just you becareful in those woods tomorrow, watch out for those bears!!!

Rob: am sure tricky very kindly posted how to set the screens on the paris 2009 thread about a week prior to the marathon!!  

Have just got back from a 6.66 (sign of the devil) miler, did the whole thing at a steady 8.30m/m feel really pleased with that as it is really breezy down here today, especially once on the seafront!!  Rest tomorrow - will get kids to walk the dog or may just take him to the beach for a fab swim in the afternoon. 

• Options

Cheers folks - I think its set up properly now.

I did 5.5 miles last night at about 8.30 pace - it felt hard work.  It was warm and still but hopefully thats the traditional bad run that precedes a good race image

• Options

Exactly Rob - you'll have a fab runimageimage

Good luck to all racing peeps this sunday!!!