Options

Team TD Sub-4

Comments

• Options

Fi - thought as much... you will be fineimage 

• Options

Hi guys!

Only got back from Berlin last night, so first chance to log on.  Thanks for the text's I got, it means so much.  I had such a laugh, there were quite a few of us, and it all went great.  Most of you know, I got 4.16 which I was really pleased with because :

1) It was 27 degrees, with very high humidity.

2) I had tonsilitis and was still on penicillin

3) The course was extremely congested.

I can't be unhappy with that time, but I do think I had more in me.  I was fine at the end, but there were too many people walking the whole way round, drinks stations were a nightmare.  I would just get into my stride and then have to slow right down when i got caught up in bottle necks.  The drinks were in cups which forced people to gulp them quickly and suffer a possible stich, or just stop completely or walk.  it was worse than the GNR for trying to get past people, and I think on account of the heat more people were walking than maybe would have been.  Gutted to see my Garmin confirmed that I had run 26.85 miles...I was determined to stick to that bloody blue line, but it was just not possible.

The finish was better than in Paris...going through the Brandenberg gate was amazing, and the crown support was much better than Paris, but nothing else was!  Not even a t-shirt did we get !!!  Plus, Paris is beautiful I suppose, whereas Berlin well, isn't as nice, I suppose it got bombed a bit more!

We had a great time though, I have drunk so much beer and eaten so much crap!  I am going out for a run in a minute I think, see how my legs feel.  I can't wait to do another one now, I am completely hooked!   Not sure what is available next, but I think there might be one in Luton in December...!  Oh, the glamour!   I will find out about London soon.....but am now seriously tempted by Paris, it was just the expense that was putting me off...then there is Edinburgh!  Oh well, will give it some thought!  ..photos to come later.  Thanks so much for your thoughts.....xxx

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    * Where did my post go? *

Welcome home, RP! Fab run, woman...especially in that heat and still ill.What the medal like?

Luton? Luton? Noooooooo! Come back to Paris * DV will be along in a minute to persuade you to do Prague... *

And, then, could you do Venice and Marseilles and describe them for me?image
  • Options

LOL ATM... It's worth doing paris just so I can converse with you!  Thanks for your comments and texts, you are a lovely person, I was just saying to Chris on holiday "I wish ATM was here!".

The medal is a bit odd! It's nice enough, but there is a picture of Haille on one side that looks, well nothing like Haille!  nowhere to get your time inscribed though.   I love Prague actually, I have been there 3 times now, and it's very cheap...there must be a few hills in that one me thinks though!

What have you got lined up next?  (other than Paris!)

• Options
    RP:  according to DV, Prague quite flat as run round the city so no hills to speak of.  I love Prague to, have been once at beginning of december so lovely and cold, very christmassy (if there is ever such a word)!!!  Am definitely doing Paris 2010, if not in london may even defer london if get in.  Have unfinished business with Paris though, need to lay a few ghosts!!  Again congrats on your fab run and time in challenging circumstancesimageimageimage
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    ''..you are a lovely person,''....AND staggeringly beautiful! * You always forget the ' staggeringly beautiful' bit, RP. Honestly, sometimes I wonder what I pay you all that money FOR...* image

Nothing else lined up. *See Doc 12/10image Just trotting, meantime.* If everything works out, Paris...then...got to confess, I would love to do Venice.It's in October. But I do like being an armchair runner so you just get back out there...
    I'm told the Pragur route is flat....boring bits in the middle...with a fabulous Start /Finish. They also have short, torch lit, evening runs in the winter. If cheap, direct flights re-start, I'd like to do one of them. Sometime. Err...and the run, at night, 31/12 in Madrid. lol..Hand me that Lotto form!
  • Options

LOL...Sorry, I did mean to put "staggeringly beautiful" too!image

I have never been to Venice, sounds a nice idea for a marathon though....I think doing a marathon is a great way of seeing places! I saw loads of the city this time that I probably would not have seen otherwise.

Ahh...I really want to do Paris now..and the thread was just so good last year.  It was totally different this year, but I defo enjoyed it.  This time round it was the pub immediately after the race! So we walked to an Irish bar (you see a theme?!) and we were all there in sweaty running gear, downing pints and eating chocolate....as always, I was the last to leave.  Finally ended up in bed at midnight after 2 kebabs! God, I am all class...AND I wore Union Jack running shorts! 

I have to say, despite all the banter over the years, the Germans were actually very nice people.  They were very helpful, and most of them spoke perfect English.  The crowds were immense.

Fi...I remember reading a while back you got a good time on that Windsor half?  Many congrats!! I must find a half to do while the momentum is there!  I doubt I will get as quick as you though!

Not sure if this will work, but here are some pics from the website.  If not, I am number F3602!

http://www.marathonfoto.com/order_assigned_photos.cfm?BFI=d4mwlc1m2e&OID=05912009M1&BibNumber=F3602&CustomerNumber=W12M26&Currency=EUR&Language=EN

• Options

RP imageimageimageimage well done you little star!!!  From what I can remember from Paris 19 minutes off your time there?  Keep going like that and you will be sub 4 next time.  Interesting that you didnt actually like the course - after FLM when I was talking about coming too my OH was really anti going purely because he didnt like Berlin as a city.   I was more interested in the flat non-undulating PB course personally!!!  I think alot of these big city marathons are really congested and half the art of running a fast marathon seems to be getting in the right lane to begin with and being able to overtake.  Give yourself a bit of r n r now (easiest time to pick up injuries) and is that chocolate still lurking uneaten in your fridge - if it is I think you are entitled now to go and pig the lotimage

Hopefully you will be signing up for Paris this year?  I think alot of us are in the ballot personally mixed feelings about London again and might do as Fi is defer till next year although the first VLM might be quite interesting.  Only 14 days between Paris and VLM this time not 21 days as last year.  Also deferred Amsterdam due my hip injury until next October so got two lined up for the coming year which is quite nice.  Amsterdam Marathon organisers seem really really nice - love Amsterdam as a city too been there quite a few times.

Strange effect running marathons has on you (i.e.one)  bit like having a baby once you've done one you cant wait do another/have another.

Fi - how are you doing this morning?  Easy 6 km on the treadmill for me yesterday so thats it running wise now.  Seeing Mick tonight cant imagine he will be nice to me (is he ever) and then massage and that will be it.  Wondering what to bring with me .. are you taking a change of clothes have to check whether there are showers ... are you going to use gels?

• Options

RP:  did 1hr 53min in Wolverhampton 1/2 - really pleased pb by some 15 mins!!  Last 6 miles comprised of 6 hills with very little (about 0.5 mile) of downhill!!  not very nice of the organisers.  NGUG and I are doing Windsor 1/2 on sunday so keep exerything crossed for us both - will txt you and let you know how we go!

NGUG: am taking one gel just in case as weather looks glorious!!  Will just put a pair of jogging bottoms (sloppy joes hubby calls them) in care and a jumper!  Nothing posh, am leaving the ball gown and tiara at home!¬!  After the massage yesterday have decided not to trott now - very sensibly me shocking really its only taken nearly 45 years to become sensible!!!  May do an extremely gentle 3 miles on saturday but in all honesty probably not as if I do 3 - 4 miles saturday including race my mileage for the week will be 29 miles not much of a taper so will just walk the 4 miles with reg instead.  Mut admit legs are feeling fab this morning!

• Options

Fi - thought I might take a gel too.  Thinking of bringing my jeans and a t-shirt to change into plus towel and shower gel if we can get a shower (suitcase being packed..).  Shame about the tiara maybe next time.

Was it quite a harsh massage?  Did you go for a full body or just legs? Bit worried about the massage myself think it might be a bit late tomorrow.  My hip is feeling great at the moment and a little worried that it might set it off if she is too vigorous with it - might tell her to avoid overdoing it on that side.  Have found after her usual massages can take a day or two for it to recover - but does feel alot better thereafter - so with Windsor so close might not be wise to overdo it. 

• Options

Hi guys

Yes, I have mixed feelings about VLM.  i know it won't be a PB opportunity, but it would be good to do it for the experience I think, and that's the way to look at it.  It's one of those that you just have to do.....I would love to do all 5 majors...though Boston might be, erm, a bit optimistic LOL!  I think you are right about congestion, there is just nothing you can do.  I would quite like to do a smaller marathon I think, just to see what I can do, but then you don't get the support, so I suppose its catch 22.

I stupidly brought loads of chocolate back from germany too!  I love marzipan, and there were loads of marzipan things over there, and now my fridge is choc full (literally!) of crap! I wish it wasn't! I am going to try and ration myself though.....don't want to undo all my hard work! 

I think I am doing Berlin a bit of a disservice.  It was not a horrid city, there were some very nice parts to it, and some lovely sights, the people were nice, and it was very hip.  But, I suppose with so much of it being bombed in the war, a lot of it has a "new" feel to it, and lets face it, nowhere is as nice as Paris.  What I liked about Paris was the variety, the parks, the slight undulatlion, even the tunnels, it all made for interesting running, where as Berlin is just flat and nothing inspirational, though the Brandenburg gate is something special, I can't deny that.  I think it was mainly the congestion I was fed up with, but what can you do.

Well done on your half time Fiona....that is brill.  I will be thinking of you both on Sunday.  Yes, would loe to know how you go.

xx

• Options

RP :  thanks for the thoughts - hopefully it should be a fun day - NGUG and I will as always give it our best!!  I also would love to do one of the major city marathons - but feel time is pobably against me!!

NGUG:  we have an estate car so accomdate a suitcase or 2!!  The massage sorted out a huge knot in my right quad so that was a painful one, but the rest she said was not bad at al.  The gentle hours bike ride was great and that's it now except for dog walking.  I agree to the massage should be relaxing rather than leaving you sore this close to the race, just ask her not to be too heavy handed around your hip.image  Am sorting out my bib and gear this afternoon, may well pack a pair of linen pull-ons as they will be comfy and easy after the race!!!!

• Options

Hi everyone.  Brilliant Panda girl, especially given weather and well-being (too much of one and not enough of the other!).  It's incredible to see how your confidence and outlook about running has changed in the last year.  Has this spilled over into other areas of your life, like career change perhaps?!

NGUG - had no idea you could defer Amsterdam.  Think this is what I'll do as I have no intention of going there next month but hate to see a race place wasted. Thanks for the idea!

Pri-Fi - sounds like you're happy about the taper.  Two key factors to consider when deciding how much to ease off - a) how hard and intense has your training being in the lead up to the race - you've had quite a few injury breaks to reduce intensity, so you are not likely to be 'bone-weary'  b) How long is the race you are doing. Usually, you wind down a bit with a week to go for a half. Advice generally is to avoid endurance activities but you can keep up the quality of speed sessions.  With a week to go, you can't seriously improve any aspect of your running, but you can risk a lot, so on balance, avoid tiring and injuring yourself.  The big BUT is (no, I didn't say you have a BIG BUTT!!) you know you r body the best and with all your femail intuition, you should trust yourself to do what is right by how you feel.

Thanks Rob.  Phlegmish is much better.  Will be in the UK this weekend, around Derby for a image

Does it get any better?

• Options

RP - them there's Union Jack boxer shorts you are wearing?!

image too funny image

• Options
    Fantastic RP. Thrilled and delighted for you. Its better that you had something left in the tank so you will be motivated to do another one image. Can hardly believve it was more congested than Paris. Crikey , you could barely run as it was in paris. Must have been a total nightmare in Berlin. Will have to just keep trying different places so we can choose our favourites, now that we are no longer "one hit wonders". Enjoy the celebrations for weeks. Good girlimageimage Handbags and shoes all the way image and of course chocolate and beer.
  • Options

Tricky - dont think strictly speaking you can but as I was injured and begged and pleaded they were kindimage - always worth a try... 

Fi - okay suitcase it is then... um I think definitely gently gently with the massage.  Packing already blimey you are organised!!  Course you will be okay for another big major city marathon what on earth are you talking about woman you've only just begun your running career and a mere youngster like meimageimage  There's only a few years between most of us and you are really speedy.

RP - I trust you are working your way through that chocolate as we speak - marzipan yuck you do have a sweet tooth!!!

• Options

imageTD: thanks for the advice - after the massage yesterday definitely the right thing to do today not trotting, the lovely hour cycling, very easily with a friend in the sunshine along the coastal path and seafront ticked every box necessary for today.  Will probably do a 3 miler on saturday morning along the seafront - nothing strenuous just to turn legs over.  Once I've done something that I know works tend to be ok, really do need to trust in my ability and judgement a little more but you can't teach an old "dog" new tricks so they say!!  Have just looked at my total of miles since 25 may this year and I've done 520!!!  How amazing is that (including 3 weeks of no running!!) imageimage.

Handbags and shoes my favourites - always makes a girl feel good a lovely pair of shoes or handbagimageimage.

• Options
    ATM:  I love Edward Monkton - my hubbie had on done for me personally signed by him called "the beautiful girl" - bless him!!!image
  • Options

I think I have faulty female DNA or perhaps I am a butch lesbian and havent discovered it myself yet. Or could I be Bi?image
    I hate shopping and shoes and bags leave me cold and bored.image

Give me a circular saw and power drill any day of the week.image

Mind you I love chocolate and rubbish so maybe I am a fully fledged woman after all ( admittedly it is a long time since I fledged!!)image

• Options

FizzioFinn.  Only one way to find out - bring along a girlfriend for a "Sexual-Bias Test". I understand that many men offer this as a free service...

Isn't the best test for this, a little trip to the DVD shop?  Do you prefer lightweight rom-coms, or Action films with lots of explosions?  In reality, the plot and character development in both are minimal....  Am still at work. Again. This is my fag break thing. That'll teach me to think I could take a half-day on Friday.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    I love the Monkton cartoons, F. Lucky you.

But also hate shopping/shoes/bags. Not lesbian or bi but,like TD,impressed with your thread -marketing ploy,Finn...* Power drill? Is that code? *

Just back from 5, slow ,k. Foot fine during run. Now sore. I'm not going to be able to start any kind of plan 'til I get this sorted. Waaaaaaaaa!
    Off to eat my body-weight in pasta.

• Options
    I love shoes particularly, but make people laugh as I do my gardening and diy in my Jimmy Choos!!!  Only joking (half~0 do all diy and power stuff, including gardening, but still love my shoes just can't justify buying any as have no need/nowhere to wear them - also have 100 pairs that are as good as new in their boxes under the spare bed!!!
  • Options

OMG I love the Edmund Monkon too - bought Ms NGUG a Mr Monkton diary last Xmas - think me and Master NGUG appreciate him more giggle together over the cartoons more -  similar sense of humour -  just love the 2009 calendar was bought for Ms NGUG but ended up with meimage.  Personalised one  Fi so jealousimageimage

I hate shopping too although me and Ms NGUG v.efficient shoppers - would never ever dream of inviting Mr NGUG just would be a disaster... really it would.  Boys dont like shopping girls do - simple rule abide by it and harmony.... Shoes ummm need to go there a bit more really funky ones around - tend to go for easy options but really love the Jimmy Choos wowowow.... so blooming expensive though...

ATM - icing help ? ie. cold as immediate warm thereafter.  Hope the pasta compensated.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Ach, nothing so far has helped in the long-term, NGUG. My legs are now in Fizz's virtual hands...image

Meantime, Redpanda Does Berlin.

• Options

LOL!!!  She gets everywhere that Pandaimage

Now.....I think there is a good chance I might be in for Abingdon (October 18th).  I know you think I am nuts (maybe so, ) but I honestly feel totally fine after Berlin, and I had loads left at the end.  I was the same after Paris, so not worried about doing it.  However, I have no clue what training to do between now and then.  I have done 2 x 6.3 runs this week (quickly) and intend to do a long run tomorrow.  Can I ask how I should be approaching my training now?

How long should my long runs be, and when?  Speed work?  Any opinions valid!

Thanks!

• Options

Hi Speedyimage Check out the hal higdon site. He has different schedules for multiple marathons depending on how far apart they are. YOu could always come to Dublin, that would give you an extra week  October bank holiday weekendimage JM had threatened to drag me around . I will be aiming for your time if I could manage but feel that perhaps I am being too cautious and was told that I am  not pushing myself enough on the day. Guess all the talk about hitting the wall and people having nightmare experiences puts me off  going for a great time at the risk of injury or months recovering.

Fab photos, look at those elite muscles showing through. Whoaar!image

FFS 100 pairs of shoes Are you kidding meimage I dont even think I have had that many in my life time. Id forget that I already had a blue/red/green pair and go get another pair ,How do you k now what you have ?  I would lose track. Imelda Marcos eat your heart out.image

ATM, hold tight. Info on the way. 

• Options

Hi hon!

Well...it's funny...I was looking at the dublin website todayimage.  I even checked out flights, and they were not bad, but then there is the accomodation, and I understand it is very expensive when you get there?  That is the only thing that was putting me off, as it certainly sounds friendly.....and if you were doing it....!

I think you put yourself down too much.  I think you are faster than me, infact I am not at all fast, and your times are a bit faster than mine, so I see no reason why you could not get a time faster than mine.  I am not aiming for 4 hours on the next one, too soon, but I think I deserve 4.10....and so do you, at least!

Just come back from a 16 miler (I know.... I know!)...but it felt fine.  Took me an hour and a half, and felt no worse than any other long run.  Just about to have a bath, then curry.  I have given all the chocolate to Chris to hide, because I can not be trustedimage!

Pad panda!

• Options

Oh well done Panda. I bet you enjoyed that 16. You should look back on your first report of your first 16 last winter when training for Paris. Havent you come a long way.image

Dublin is supposed to be one of the cheapest cities for hotels since this summer , since the economy collapsed, so have a quick shop around before you decide whether to come or not.  YOu would be surprised what you could pick up.  John Murphy is also doing it. - There is a bunch of us on the other thread too and the countdown has begun and panic is starting to set in. 28 days to go. Lots of time for you as you just need to tick over and touch base rather than train. Would be aweseome to have you there.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    ryanair flights from Glasgow to Dublin, out Sunday, back Tuesday, are £10 image