Options

Team TD Sub-4

Comments

• Options

Tricky - glad you sounds as if you are on the mend.  Think your decision re Amsterdam v.like mine just dont think due to my injury that I have enough miles under my belt.  Will have to plan for an autumn marathon a bit better next year - or maybe trialthonimage

Rob - a PB on its way for you - you are on a roll!!

• Options
    Rob:  have a great run tomorrow - can't wait for the race reportimageimage
  • Options

Just a quickie - got round in 1:16:52 but the course measured long again!  I got it at 10.04 and others between that and 10.10.

Pleased with it - it was the first raced 10 mile so it'll be a decent learning experience for next time.  Definitely could have trimmed off another 20 seconds or so in the last mile had I pushed it.

Aiming to go under 1:15 at Thirsk in November.

• Options
    Congrats Rob. 1.15 definitely on for Novemberimageimageimage
  • Options

Well done Rob.  I re-read the post 6 days ago and it was suggesting these times:

"From your 10K time it is suggesting a 10m time of 1:16:38, which is running at 4:43/km pace or 7:36m/m."

Your 10 mile times show you ran at 4:47/km or 7:41/mile, so you ran the 10 miler at almost the same pace as you did the 10K.  Which was either a really good effort OR you were full of excuses after the run the week before.  My money is on 'slacker'.

• Options

TD you little tinker... don't you try your psychology (reverse or otherwise) on me image

Looking at the Garmin stats for the whole run (i.e. including any overmeasuring) for the 3 races so far I get:

Birchwood 10k Completed in 46:33 at an average of 7:29 a mile

GYR 10k completed in 46:03 at an average of 7:21 a mile

Wistow 10m completed in 1:16:52 at an average of 7:39 a mile

Including the overmeasure the 10 mile looks cock on to the last 10k (though that measured long too...so almost as good!)

Next 3 races for me are more social/fun ones with no PBs likely.

On the 26th its http://www.saabsalomontrails.com/turbo-x.php 

Then the very next day is a local 10k so doubt I'll be going all out in that.

Then the week after is a 10 mile trail race so, again, no PB available.

After that the next PB will be attained at the Bridlington half on the 18/10.  Oh yes.

• Options
    Top banana Rob!  You get my vote for Mistah Consistuncy.
  • Options

Nearly killed myself for 25mins on treadie today doing speed work, 2 mins at 11.5km, 1 min at 13.5km repeated twice, 2 mins at 12.5km, 1 min at 14km repeated twice, 2 mins at 12.5km, 1 min at 14.5km repeated twice, 2 mins at 13km, 1 min at 15km managed this once then did 1 min at 13.5, 30secs at 14.5, 30 secs at 15.5 - then trotted and walked for 2 min!!!  was completed dripping but very satisfied!!!

Then did the good old stability ball - not done for about a month so "stability" was not really the correct term for my activiites on it!!!!!  All good fun though.  7 miles in the morning, 3 miles hard, 4 miles easy!!!

• Options

Mixed training for me so far this week.

Monday was a rest day after Sunday's race and Tuesday I did 7.3 miles with a faster group at the running club.  That worked well as it speeded me up by half to one minute a mile with only a few seconds stop during and left me 'middle of the pack'.

Didn't get chance to run Wednesday but did go out for 6 miles yesterday.  That wasn't so good.  Felt cold before and during and got slower each mile, with each one feeling about a minute a mile faster than it was.

Add to that that the pain in my left lower abdomen/groin/psoas isn't clearing up.  It cleared on the right completely but isn't getting better on the left and may be very slowly getting worse.  Off to the physio on Monday and have cancelled tomorrow's run.

Will still do a 3 mile jog with the eldest today and a longish slow run Sunday.  Cycling on my new bike tomorrow though image

• Options

What bike did you get Rob?  Is it suitable for tris?  My bday next week so OH planning to buy me one but I really dont have a clue what make etc. to go for. 

Be interested to see what the physio says re your hip.  My left hand side cleared v.quickly its the right that has persisted.  I actually slightly pronate on my right leg and I think it is slightly weaker and wonder if this has contributed to the length of time it has taken to heal. 

• Options

I got one from Wiggle NGUG.  If you google Kiron bikes or look them up on there you'll see it.

Its a full on road bike rather than hybrid or tri-specific but I may look at doing a triathlon at some stage so hope it could be adapted for use.

Main reasons for getting it were:

1) Allows me another form of cross training

2) Can use it for leisure or short trips instead of the car

3) Going to do a coast to coast ride after Paris next year

• Options
    Ok thanks Rob didnt think of Wiggle!  May pop onto a tri-thread and see what they recommend as well.  Thanks.image
  • Options

NGUG:  Orbea are a good brand for road bikes - my iron man friend has one, very light and easy to use.  I have an orbea road bike that I share with number one son (it was my brothers), fab and so light and easy to ride when I go back to my hybrid for a social ride feels like I'm getting nowhere quickly!!  As with everthing you can find a good second hand one through a tri club.  Always worth asking.

Will have done 37miles this week - doesn't really feel like that though!!!  Will probably do easy 4 miles monday, 6 (2x2miles threshold pace) Tuesday, speed session wednesday - probably ending up at around 5, then nothing till the run (I daren't call it a race) on sunday .  Yoga friday but won't get into any strange positions!!  Was very happy this morning with yoga went up into a headstand with straight legs - a first and was amazed at how easy it felt!!! 

Rob:  what a sensible lad cancelling your run!!  imagewhen is your next race?

• Options
    Princess Fiona wrote (see)

Rob:  what a sensible lad cancelling your run!!  imagewhen is your next race?

Ironically....next race will be Sunday!  Theres a 7.5 mile trail race nearby and I think I'll do that rather than an LSR.
  • Options
    Rob:  I now take back what I said about you being sensible!!  A 7,5mile trail race - interesting - NGUG and I will be thinking of you as we trott round Windsor Great Parkimageimage
  • Options

Riggghtt - see what the physio says Rob mine said instantly 2 weeks rest which ended up being 4 weeks... still dont feel right although Mick kicked the cr*p out of me last week - he cant understand it either - I think these sort of injuries take ages to heal.

Thanks Fi re bike recommendations - second hand tri-club sale sounds a r.good idea - OMG who can afford a new one?

• Options

Trail race completed.  It was actually 7.25 miles but I did 10.18 by the time you added on warm up and cool down.  No pain before or during but a bit sore after the race and during cool down.

My 405 froze before the race (fixed now) so I ran without pacing.  Seemed to work to my advantage as I got round in 53:25 - 7.21 a mile exactly the same pace as I did on the pb 10k on the road.  Felt tough though - didn't do a sprint finish but gradually cranked it up in the last mile and on one of the steeper hills I thought I was going to chuck and could do little more than shuffle for a good 100m afterwards.

Pretty pleased overall.

• Options

Well done Rob - fantastic pacing, sounds like the old addage listen to your body worksimageimage.  You should definitely be exceptiionally pleased with that performance.

Not trotting today as had a migraine after my 10 miler yesterday which I must admit was extremely tough for some obscure reason!!  Had to take to my bed as Mr PF pointed I was "the colour of parchment" not a pretty sight!!  Feeling better now but not going to trott until tomorrow when I'll take Reg over to the woods and do a 5 miler there.  Then Speed on wednesday (hate it) then gentle 5 miles thursday and all done until sunday!!.

• Options

Well done Rob - sounds like a good race.  Sometimes I find not having a watch does help - I did that last year on the Brentwood half - only because I couldnt use my Garmin properly at the time and messed up with the buttons at the start - because I was so concerned about how time I was passing I think I went slightly faster than I would have done with a watch.

Fi - not allowed to do my interval training this week as in taper - doing a recovery run on Thursday and rest on Friday too.. weird.

How's Tricky recovered now?

• Options
    NGUG:  not a full speed session but just 4 reps of the 0.5, 0.25 thingy!! 
  • Options

Fi - oh okay with you now.image

• Options

405 let you down Rob?  That's French cars for you mate.

Getting better thanks NGUG. Still coughing but it's just the dry, irritated kind.  Did a 17K run on Sunday in 1h20 in my new, lightweight running shoes.  Felt very nice but they certainly make the lower leg muscles work harded.  Have been madly busy with work, so very much looking forward to turning up the wick with my running.

• Options

Pleased you are feeling  better TD !!

Can you give me some advice re a taper - should be happening this week as have Windsor on Suinday and really am going to try and get as near to sub 1.50 as possible!!  Today I did a 5.66 at 8,30 pace and felt fab, considering over half was into an extremely strong head wind on the seafront.  Was going to do 5ish tomorrow and then an off road 5 on thursday - nothing too strenuous, then no trotting until sunday, but yoga friday and a massage at some point.  What do you think - or have any ideas - help please this is the first time I;ve really tried to taper and really not sure what to do!!

• Options

Fi - I thought you were doing a specific program - your distances etc. seemed virtually the same as mine save for this week... I rely on Mick entirely he was v.keen to keep the mileage quite low this week I only have 6km recovery run tomorrow Thursday with him and Friday rest and massage.  I am a bit unconventional re mileage so Tricky should be able to give you more help than meimage

• Options
    NGUG:  No - I've been just following my gut instinct about mileage and stuff!!!  This tapering thing  has just confused me!!!!  The plan is - unless I've got it totally wrong, did 5.66miles this morning, will do 5 miles tomorrow at a relatively easy pace, 4 off road through woods on thrusday with Reg, Yoga on Friday and have just booked a massage for Wednesday (tomorrow)..  What do you reckon?  Does this sound ok.
  • Options

Fi - sounds okay to me.  Have you looked at any of the RW half marathon plans?  I cant imagine that they are going to be much different to what you are doing.  I think the idea of taper is just really recovery for a few days prior to killing yourself!!  My balance of gym, ju jitsu makes what I do slightly different I think.

• Options
    Good to see you're on the mend TD - though your phlegmish may suffer.
  • Options
    ~Thanks for the link NGUG:  show's that I;m not far off what I should be doing anyway!!  the planned 5 miles tomorrow and the easy off road with Reg on Thursday!!!   At least we can really try and go for it on Sunday as Mr PF driving home!!!!image