Options

New York Marathon 2009

Comments

• Options

Tortie The opera - very impressive.

I've packed my trainers, running vest and socks in my hand luggage, no way I'm losing it now.  I'll be wearing a spinal injuires association running vest, with a huge sonic the hedgehog on the back but as I'm in wave 3 most of you will be off long before me but if anyone should come across me please feel free to have a chat.

Only 3 more hours at work then home to start the mad packing frenzy.  The kids are staying at my aunts for the 6 nights we are away, so I have to pack Halloween costumes and , Disco outfits along with the swimming stuff and dancing lesson stuff.  Don't know if I'll ever get it all done but at least I have my lists to help me.

Need to be up at 4am tomorrow to catch my 6.30am flight.  Mittybob I'll be the very tired person asleep before takeoff with the husband having a few drinks (he's a very nervous flyer).

• Options

I know the feeling Padders, the kids seem to have a very busy life when you write down what they do for the grandparents (suckers) that are staying at ours what with football, dancing, parties, swimming and so on.

• Options

I am flying out tomorrow afternoon from Heathrow(16:00pm), I hope to see some of you when i am over there.  I am sure I will be packing at the last moment. I have made sure i have everything for the race and will the other things I need. I dont the weather that great at the moment.

During the race will be wearing a green Reading road runners vest race number 18771. Say hello if you see me.

Hope everyone has a safe trip over to NY.

• Options
    That link didn't work. Is your hotel on Tonnelle Avenue?
  • Options
    Just finishing packing. I'm sure I'll forget something !
  • Options
    Steven S : I think you're on the same flight as me - Virgin? (the airline I mean)
  • Options

Surreystrider. That's the one. My race day plans are a bit up in the air at the moment, as there is a (not very high at the moment) chance that I will stay with a Manhattan chum on Saturday night. If I don't, as seems likely, I may go via public transport to the ferry anyway. (I am seeking advice from a New Jersey chum on this one.) If I do decide to go by cab, I will happily swing by to pick you up (if I can contact you to find out your address). Sorry to be so undecided on this one!

• Options
    I dont like the BBC 5 day forecast for NY, it now says heavy rain for Sunday!  Anybody got a better forecast?
  • Options
    No probs L'ardvark. I was going to get the lie of the land when I got there anyway.

Hudds Dave - I've seen a couple of similar forecasts as well.
  • Options

Rain today and y'day - sunny this weekend.

When it rains it really rains here....

Just had a mamouth carb loading lunch (more like lard loading actually!).

See you in NY

• Options
    Thanks L'ardvark, That looks a bit better. Lets hope it stays like that.
  • Options

The rain has stopped and all the kids have just gone out to the swings on Central Park so time for a longer post from NYC.

Did my last 'proper' run this morning in torrential rain around central park. It was supposed to be a speedy 10k but I am so wary of getting injured that I did it at a very lazy pace.

Ran the final miles of the marathon course again and, even in the rain, it was quite a buzz.

The banners are up on the lamp posts, the mile markers are sprayed onto the tarmac and they have put up the finishing line and bleachers.

The park is full of runners (as always) but quite a lot wearing this year's marathon merchandise.

Out for pre-marathon cocktails tonight - if I have vodka and lucozade sport that's OK right?

PS the weather is all over the place this week between spring like sun and autumnal rain. The latest forecast I saw showed showers for sunday.

• Options
    achingcalves, it's great to have a live feed to the course! keep it going, I don't fly until Friday morning and so it helps to get some up to date info. Cheers.
  • Options
    Ah got the dreaded sore throat as wellimage - hopefully another earlier night to bed will help clear it.  Will be wearing an orange Up&Running NI top, number 18735.  Hope to see some of you out there.
  • Options

ok guys... this is it, you last pep talk... so listen up!

About 16 weeks ago you were all just starting your journey to the NY marathon... since then you have run hundreds and hundreds of miles training your body and your mind for the race on Sunday 1st November... and now we're here, the work is done, you are ready.

For some of you it hasn't worked out exactly to plan but that's the nature of running... sometimes it doesn't, and you just have to find a way through... that's one of the things that defines a runner... even when it stacks up against you, you just adjust the targets accordingly and find a way through.

At least some of you will be having doubts, worried that you haven't done enough, fretting about the conditions on Sunday, all the 'what ifs' going round and round in your mind... that's completely normal, but also totally unnecessary. You have done enough. The conditions on Sunday are completely out of your control. Don't run with the 'what ifs', just plan, prep, and run... the rest will take care of itself.

Saturday... you should be off your legs by about 4pm... rest and prepare your kit.
    Sunday pre-race... stay in the moment, enjoy everything about the experience
    The marathon... you all know not to go out too fast, pleeeeeeeeese remember that, keep a check on your pace for the first half and then you can push on.
    Eventually it will start to hurt and you will get little messages from your body telling you that you need to take a little break, don't listen! The messages will get louder and more convincing... DON'T LISTEN. You will be out of your comfort zone... embrace that feeling...all those training miles have prepared you for it, you will be fine, trust me! Keep going... it will pass.
    When it feels tough...know that you are tougher!
    Look to the crowds...imagine me there shouting for you, cheerleading with pom poms image I wish I could be there supporting you all in person I will be there in spirit urging each and every one of you on.

Promise yourself something for after the race and bring it to mind during the race now and then... all these little things help.

I'm sooooo excited for you guys, I know you'll do great!
    Have an absolutely fantastic time and celebrate hard image

And finally... I keep hearing this and everytime I do I think of you..

Empire State of Mind

In New York,
    Concrete jungle where dreams are made of,
    There's nothing you can’t do,
    Now you’re in New York,
    These streets will make you feel brand new,
    The lights will inspire you,
    Let's hear it for New York, New York, New York

One hand in the air for the big city,
    Street lights, big dreams all looking pretty,
    No place in the World that can compare,
    Put your lighters in the air, everybody say yeaaahh
    Come on,
    say Yeah,

imageimage *Jumps up, splits, and waves pom poms wildly* imageimage

xxxxxxx

• Options

and Hudds... Mars Bar Cheesecake... recipe.. please!! image

• Options

cheers trin. good luck with your operation. and thanks for your good advice throughout.

fly out tomorrow morning , cant waitimage

hope everyone comes back on this forum when its over to let us know how it went (i'll be back on the 7th)

halloween parade is on saturday which looks amazing .(i'll leave it early,Trinity,honestlyimage)

good luck to everyone !

• Options

Thanks for all your support Trin!!

I'm just finishing packing here [0:36] last minute as usual - could sleep standing up!! Flying out in the morning - will be keeping in touch on here while in NYC! Looking forward to hopefully meeting some of you peeps!

I'm Wave 1 - Orange - 14779 - Red adidas top with DAVID back & front!!

All the best everyone - hope you have a great race - enjoy it!!

Mrs GM summed my current mood up precisely - s******g bricks!!

David 

• Options

Thanks Trin!

This really struck a chord with me:

You will be out of your comfort zone... embrace that feeling...

Sound words, indeed.

Wishing you all the best with op (and later police entrance).

• Options
    Hi all. Got here last night. Woke up way too early today. Hopefully a shower will wake me up. One of the main aims today is to find somewhere decent to carb load for the next few days! Probably do the Expo today as well.

Hope everyone is feeling good about Sunday.
  • Options

Trin - good luck with the op and thanks for all the support over the last weeks, you have been great. Your pep mail really worked and thanks for the link on Youtube - just been singing along to Jay Z, don't tell the kids though!

Just bought my 11 year old lad some cross country spikes, not sure he knows what he is getting into. His first race is on the 7th Nov. I must admit I never do the X country bit but I may start after NY.

Cheers

• Options
    Cheers Trin, makes me feel better just reading thatimage.  As you say its all in the mind now!!  Finishing off packing now.
  • Options
    Was lucky enough to do the last 3 NYC marathons, but sadly not going over this time, gutted.

Great race and a great city, enjoy.

• Options
    Just checking in from my hospital bed... my pom poms are in my bedside cupboard image

safe trips everyone... have fun xx
  • Options
    Hey everyone, some good tips from Paula on the BBC website. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/8323504.stm

Flying tomorrow, 16:15 Virgin from Heathrow.
  • Options

Thanks so much for that post PM - everything she said is spot on and it is great to hear that pros experience the same things...

• Options

Off to the airport in an hour. I cannot wait to get going and just get to NY.

I will check in on the other side, see you all soon

Dave

• Options

Same here, just off to the airport.

"See you on the other side."