Options

New York Marathon 2009

Comments

• Options
    Thanks Trinity for all your support. How was it for you, watching everyone's progress from the TV and PC? BTW, I have seen myself on the NBC coverage which I'll have to get a still shot from.
  • Options

I watched it on TV... It was exciting and nerve racking at the same time. I was thinking of you guys and how you must be feeling... trying to send calming positive thoughts. I heard them play AC/DC's Hells Bells at the start for the masses... that was great!

As usual though, there wasn't too much of your race on TV, it was all about the elites, which I can understand I guess.

Seeing the athlete alerts come through was good... but when they stopped for everyone but NotCat I got quite worried.

I was like an expectant aunty... even my bloke said I was getting too uptight over it image

I'm just glad that you all seemed to have had a great time and feel happy with your results imageimage

• Options

YAAAAAHHHHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

4.39 thrilled to bits after the lack of training in last month with  swine flu.  What a place.  What a crowd.  Felt like a rock star for the whole race.  2 million spectators shouting your name and encouragement for mile after mile - very hard to match a day like that again.

Myself and Kmac travelled down to ferry on the morning.  Met a very funny but slightly  bonkers english bloke en route who I am still convinced was part of a candid camera stunt he was so disorgansied.  WE assisted him put on his number and D tag as the subway rattled along.  Completly unprepared!  GAve us a good laugh the whole way down.  Subway very delayed on day so I missed the 7.30 sailing but got on 8 am no problem with Kmac, the nutty guy and another drop dead gorgeous guy from philly we picked up on the way.  Reminder again Kmac - get his number - if I was only 20 years younger!!!

Entertained Kmac and another US guy with my pre race rituals of slathering myself in deep heat and Diclac cream at fort wandsworth. Nutty guy went of with my vaseline but rub his nipples!!!  Felt very motherly towards Kmac and tried to clam her down - great race by the way Kmac for a 1st time marathon!!!

RAce went well for me considering.  Managed to stay on 10min miles for 1st 18 miles but then slowed down.  Legs were good but chest nearly killed me.  Flu had left its mark after all.  The music and gospel choirs and cheering really helped me though.  MEt many other irish runners en route and chatted with them.  I know ther e are 2 blokes dressed as nuns who I ran with for  long time in several of my photo shots so that will be entertaining to look at again.  Felt very emotional and completely in love with New Yorkers now.  Dont think any other marathon will ever match it.  Realised 4 30 was gone but once I hit central park got strong again and determined not to let 4 40 appear on the clock.  4 39 06 delighted. 3 min faster than 1st dublin marathon last year on a much harder course and swine flu!

Met some friends after dinner with hubby and made complete fool myself drinking way too much so never made it near o lunneys.  Head nearly fell off my yesterday with hangover but as a 40th birthday present to myself it was all so well worth it.  And the medal has 40 on it too!

Many thanks to you all esp Trin for all the support.  Also for Kmac - the company was great down to the start even if my choice of subway delayed us a bit. 

WEll done to you all.

Karen  

• Options

Hi Guys, 4:32 for me which is pretty slow for me but I was happy to get around with my knackered foot. I went for the run as hard as I could until it hurt to much. Had a great time as I took my time and had a great chat with other runners and spectators. Even got brownies at mile 22 for somebody.

I love NY and have spend the last couple of days walking about another 26 miles. My other half is complaining her legs hurt and she did not run the marathon!

Going to the airport soon so will catch up in the UK later.

Cheers

• Options

Kaygee... fantastic!!!!!!!! and LOL at the nutty guy! Sounds like you had a great great day image I've seen the medal too and I thought that it would be a good medal for someone celebrating their 40th Birthday image Proud of you for the celebrating bit too... it has to be done!

NotCat... 3:09:54 (PB)
    Rower... 3:46 (PB?)
    achingcalves... 3:19 (Huge PB!)
    KMac... 4:46:46 (Brill 1st marathon PB!)
    Champagne... 3:34
    kiwidave... 3.24
    tiptree... 3:31:53 (PB)
    MWilson... 2:58:43 (Superb 1st marathon PB)
    gary jones 17... 2:46:12
    L'ardvark... 3:01:04 (PB)
    Paul Ward 13... 3:05:09
    Kaygee... 4:39:06 (PB)

and I had athlete alert report

Trish... 4:15:55 (only 2 minutes outside PB but on a tougher course!)

• Options

Fancy reliving the course all over again? This video was captured on marathon morning just minutes before we all started.

http://www.upvideo.fr/upvideo_video.aspx?sr=1&vid=ZabS_bMuKUurOj4WOJILwQ

• Options

Hudds Dave... well done buddy... a gutsy run! It's stressful when you know you're carrying an injury, proud of you for pushing on to a decent time despite everything image Brownies...hmmmm image

achingcalves... 3:19 (Huge PB!)
    kiwidave... 3.24
    Hudds Dave... 4:32

• Options

Karen - great report...I walked to mile 24 to cheer on the crowds after my finish and saw the crowds and I reckon I even may have cheered you along - did you have a name on your vest?

HD and PW well done also...different times but good performances!

• Options

Karen - you are not taking enough credit!!  If it hadn't been for you I'd have probably never made the start through nerves!!  Great company on the journey down, and yes, the Philly guy was very yummy! He passed me at mile 2 and said hi - I half thought about trying to keep up with him, but decided probably not wise.

Forgot to tell you, I passed the Emu / Ostrich guy at about mile 21 (yes he had been infront of me until that point!!), and all I could think was try get quicker to get past him, incase he appeared in my finish line shot!!!  Anyway -  think I passed him sufficiently.  I also saw the two guys dressed at nuns.

Trin- Superstar.  Am still looking for Gatorade edurance powder - I will find some...

L'a and all you other quick people - I have utmost respect for you all to be able to get round in the times that you did, but I'm still happy with my 4hrs46!!

• Options

OK so here is my race report:

New York Marathon 2009 

After worrying about rain, heat and snow in the weeks preceeding it was perfect temperature and weather...no wind but a fairly inauspicious start nonetheless....they shut the starting funnels early for the first wave and refused to let people in.

I had to jump over an eight foot fence to get in! Lost two of my energy gels in the process...not happy and heart rate going through the roof.

Anyway, I lined up about 40 meters behind the elites - a real buzz as they read their names out. A quick goosebump inducing rendition of the star spangled banner, and the gun goes followed by ear-splitting recording of New York New York.

Race is on. Target time - 3.20 with a pace of 7.39...anything in the teens a bonus.

Mile 1 - 8.02 - across the bridge, faster than I hoped for due to big race congestion but spent a lot of time avoiding internnational runners (mainly Italians capering around the place) who were stopping to take pics and generally making a nuisance of themselves

Mile 2 - 7.04 - ooops. time to put the brakes on...someone spills energy drink on the back of my right knee which will stick annoyingly with each stride I make until I get a sponge in mile 18

Mile 3 - 7.39 - that's better, loads of high fiving from the bonkers brooklyn massive - wishing I had my name on my shirt.

Mile 4 - 7.39 - feel good factor from hitting my splits.

Mile 5 - 7.42 - put the brakes on too much but consciouly trying to keep a lid on things - feeling good

Mile 6 - 7.37...bit fast but still consistent

Mile 7 -7.39  Watch with alarm as french bloke next to me casually whips his todger out for a pee.

Mile 8 - 7.45 Mile 9 - 7.38 - enjoying the last of brooklyn and a steel band rendition of the Hawaii 5-0 theme tune

Mile 10 - 7.29 Legs feeling fresh and wondering whether I should go faster - decide to go with caution.

Mile 11 - 7.49 - Crowds thinning out so not sure why the slow time but still on track pace-wise - I think it was around here that one of the hasids darts through the runners nearly causing a pile up...others look on with bemusement at the intrusion...

Mile 12 - 7.36 - after hearing a blast of 'I like to move it move it' I am getting ready to up the pace, chat to a chap from Bristol who is really struggling. I don't have the heart to tell him how hard the last six miles are and leg it off over to the bridge

Mile 13 - 7.31 - The second Bridge - the polaksi - sees me hit a halfway time of 1.40 something - legs starting to hurt......worst HM time for four years

• Options

And on to the back half of the race...aiming at 7.30 or better per mile, preferably 7.20...

Mile 14 - 7.29 - great, and legs feeling perkier, start to worry about the Q'boro

Mile 15 - 7.48 - Onto the hell which is the queensboro bridge. All is quiet apart from the tread of the runners, decide against pushing the pace as people around me looking in pain but I am starting to work up through the runners...

Mile 16 - 7.54 - Italian darts in front of me and takes my legs away - I avoid falling and swear loudly at him in what I think is Italian.

Mile 17 - 7.20 What a roar! The crowds pick everyone up for the start of the three miles up 1st Avenue - decide to run near the crowd to keep gee'd u.

Mile 18 - 7.21 - if I can keep this up I'll be well happy, crowds going mental, lots more runners starting to walk already

Mile 19 - 7.32 A sponge!!! finally wipe off the gunk from the back of my knee - feel very happy people are walling all around me

Mile 20 - 7.38 Big high five from a BA Baracus lookalike sets me up for

Mile 21 - 7.39 - After a series of turns around Marcus Garvey park we hit the hill of fifth avenue. Ouch. Can only focus on seeing wife and kids at mile 24 now.

Mile 22 - 7.30 - Fracas with a runner who cuts in front of me to get to the drink station - I remind him politely he should cut behind not in front - adreline surge and feeling pleased at the lack of walling.

Mile 23 - 7.42 - First hill into the park - appalled at my split I pick up the pace for...

Mile 24 - 7.51 - Bliss!!!! What a great sight! Wife and family at the top of the hill - stop for quick cuddle of my 5 year old - their banner brings a little tear to my eyes!

Mile 25 - 7.35 - Overtaking loads of runners now - big cheers out of the park and determined to sprint to the finish.

Mile 26- 7.18 Where did that come from???

Finish in 3.19.54 - next to a woman I followed for 26.2 miles who ran the same consistent splits through the race and is dissappointed she didn't make 3.15!

Post race I meet the kids by the swings near the exit funnel and I stay on for two hours in my blanket next to the drinks at mile 24 to cheer on the runners further back and soak up the atmosphere.

Feel like a celebrity as I walk around being congratulated up civilians from the upper east side - well worth keeping the blanket and medal on!

• Options

Like everyone else so far, I had a brilliant weekend topped with a most surprising 3hrs 42mins 42secs - the best for me since 2006 FLM (six marathons inbetween). Second time at NY, 1999 the previous ocassion.

Weekend started off well with flight from LHR arriving an hour early. Girlfriend and I did Friendship Run on Saturday morning and this was incredible - 15000 very noisy people making their way to Central Park. Wondered what the weather was going to be like when the rain came late Saturday afternoon.

Sunday morning I had to get the Staten Island ferry and on route I realised that I was an hour early - didn't know the clocks were altering overnight. Got to the start area eventually, trying to the last minute to avoid the cold. Wish I had the resourcefulness of some who came with tents, sleeping bags, air beds - all to be left behind.

The start was as muddled as it was 10 years ago. I was in the first wave and nearly didn't get in as it closed seemingly without warning. I don't remember reading any instructions regarding timings etc.

I get a buzz when the anthem is sung before the gun (cant we do this at London?), and when New York, New York sent us on our way - I felt carried along on a tide of emotion and inspiration. The greeting in Brooklyn was just a taster of what was to follow - noise, noise, noise. The enthusiasm of the spectators is just so encouraging and they have a way with the english language to emphasise that you've just got to finish.

From where I was there seemed to be so many helpers available to serve water/gatorade. The generosity of the New Yorkers in giving fruit, sweets, extra water not to mention their encouragement is special.

Got to half way fairly comfortable and was waiting for fatigue to take its toll. Kept thinking - see what happens, where will I be at 3hours, keep enjoying the atmosphere, dont think about your legs hurting.

I didn't remember the hills at 22mile before you enter Central Park, pace dropped to a walk for a breather and was glad to get into the Park. Then it was looking out for girlfriend who should have been at Columbus Circle - I was thinking I'd missed her, but I still had a massive grin on my face as the realisation of approaching the finish took over. Then by the 26mile pole, there she was almost toppling over the fence to greet me. Wow, what a finish. Glad to get to the pub and have loads of beer and accepting the warmest congratulations of passers-by.

A great early 50th birthday present to me.

• Options
    AC - good on you for staying to cheer - I must have passed you!! And the support was excellent. Thanks
  • Options

AC... wow... how do you remember so much!! LOL at the guy at 7 miles! image Great pacing too.

achingcalves... 3:19:54 (Huge PB!)
    kiwidave... 3.24

• Options

KMac... thank you thank you xx

• Options
    Trin - some fairly memorable moments at pretty much every mile, and I made a conscious decision to try to remember something for every mile. I haven't even mentioned the inspirational Achilles (disabled) athletes I went past - one guy nearly in tears around mile 18, the Masai (sp?), the bloke in the pink speedos etc etc
  • Options
    Well done Dougie - a fab time
  • Options

Dougie... happy 50th!! What a way to spend it! It just goes to show too that you don't necessarily slow down as you get older image

kiwidave... 3.24
    Dougie Waller... 3:42:42

• Options

Aching - yes I had my name on pink t shirt.  thanks for the cheers. It really helps on those last miles.

your report and K mac  bringing back many already forgotten bits.  Had forgotten about the EMU/Ostrich guy KMAc. Amazed by the blind guys running attached to guides.  Also met a guy with full paramilitary gear on running in memory of friends killed in Iraq.

Italians were nuts taking pictures along way.  One gang of about ten stopped on the second bridge for a gang photo and nearly caused an accident.  Saw few nasty falls along the route.  Hard to avoid the bags and gear being dropped on the road.  I made a conscious effort to throw my stuff to the sidewalk so as not to trip anyone.

Best of all . I beat Michelle Heaton - friend Jordan Katie Price - regular hello and Ok Mag - E list celebrity.  I had chatted to her in Dublin Half marathon as she mentioned she was doing NY and just beat her there.  She did 5 15 I think.

K

• Options

Evening folks, just back home now from NYC.

Managed to get round in PB of 3.12.49. Really pleased with it given how tough some of the bridges were. 3.10.59 (and the holy grail of Boston qualification) was on at halfway, but Queensboro Bridge soon put paid to that. Managed to keep a fairly steady pace after that and despite a slight wobble up 5th Avenue hill, came in strongly through the park.

Planning to upload and interrogate race stats from Garmin in the morning, but for now can agree with most others here that despite one or two let-downs (closing corrals really early without much warning and then security getting heavy with runners just trying to get to the start?!), the whole experience over there was fantastic. Great course, amazing support, well organised and blessed with perfect conditions.

Pleased to have bumped into a couple of RW regulars (Tiptree very randomly on subway first thing in morning and Hudds Dave in pub in evening) and amazed but how well everyone seems to have done in the race. Well done to all!

• Options

theboynice... Well done on the PB!! Great time, you'll definitely get a Boston qualifying time on an easier course image

kiwidave... 3.24
    theboynice... 3:12:49 (PB)

• Options
    A bit late catching up with this. Finished in 4:14:30 which I was really happy with. No big problems with the leg either.

L'ardvark - How did you find staying in New Jersey? I regretted it from the start as I felt detached from the city and also spent a fortune in cabs to and from the local train station to get into Penn.
  • Options
    djwolfdjwolf ✭✭✭

Hope everyone finished OK.

Managed a 3:30.05 just missed my sub 3:30image

Mrs Wolf 4:37 best time this year (out of 4 maras)image

No probs with knees, just a tight hamstring from about 10 mile and no energy (lost several gels) from mile 20, otherwise a good runimage

• Options

surreystrider... well done!! image Was that a PB?

kiwidave... 3.24
    surreystrider... 4:14:30

• Options

djwolf... Great time!! Don't kick yourself too hard about the 5 seconds image
    And big congratulations to Mrs Wolf! image

kiwidave... 3.24
    djwolf... 3:30:05
    Mrs Wolf... 4:37

Come on MittyB and Trish... I've started pacing again..

• Options
    No Trin, about 18 minutes outside. Originally intended to go sub 3:55 but injury and rubbish last 4 weeks training put paid to that. Just glad to get round.

Thanks for all the online support the last few weeks image
  • Options

Hi Everyone,

Just got back from NY today. Had a fantastic time out there, really enjoyed the whole experience. Having done 4.13 in my first marathon in London in April, I felt with my training this time I was going to be on for a sub 4hr. However, I should have heeded what Trin and others have said - I did find it much tougher than London. The long pulls seemed to take it out of me and after being on target at halfway I decided to back of the pace slightly. However, I was pleased that I must have got something right as didn't hit the wall and finished in 4.15 but felt better afterwards than in April. Also pleased to see that I came 297th out of some 1300 in my age group!

Trin - thanks for all your support really appreciated. Glad the op went well. Did you get your entry in for Comrades. As the Novice entries opened on the day of the marathon my OH got up with me and got my entry in on line before I ran the marathon as knew I probably wouldn't want to enter it that night - I did have some thoughts to myself whilst I was running that it was a crazy thing to do and why on earth had I entered!! However, a couple of hours after I had finished I was thinking that it was a good idea...image

Back to the NY marathon didn't think the organistaion was as slick as London, had to queue for ages to get to the baggage lorries. However, did get to see Paula at the start as they let all the elite athletes through. Think she did very well in the circumstances. Must be difficult at that level to be absolutely on top form all the time.

Tricia

• Options

Yayyy!!! Great to hear from you Tricia!! I was getting worried, glad you're ok image
    I knew you was going for sub 4 and hoped that you wouldn't be too disappointed... NY is a much tougher course so I think you did brilliant!

Glad you entered Comrades before the marathon too... it sold out in 27 hours and I know a few people who missed out and are really disappointed. I was online at 8am on Sunday and got my entry image By the end of Sunday I had also booked my flights and hotel... I'm staying at the Hilton in Durban... 5 nights in a King room for £490. It's much cheaper booking it by Booking.com... I saved over £100 that way rather than booking direct with the hotel image

Anyway... back to NY...

kiwidave... 3.24
    djwolf... 3:30:05
    Mrs Wolf... 4:37
    Tricia 4:15:55

Btw Trish... the athlete alert thing for your race stopped at 5k... I got everso worried, but I got the whole thing through Monday morning image

• Options

Trin - 1 tub of gatorade endurance powder sourced...  it was the last in the shop (Paragon Sports 18th & Broadway) and probably just as well, as I couldn't fit any more in my case!  Already had to buty an extra holdall.  Just off for the airport so may check in later if there is access and I am bored!  I did receive many a strange look when trying to find out where to buy it though.  Turns out I could probably have got it easily at the expo but I just wasn't thinking at  that stage due to the nervous excitement (more nerves than excitement!) that stayed with me from Thursday until past the start of the race.

ps. its lemon lime flavour.

• Options

KMac... you are an absolute star!!!!!!! Thank you sooooooo much!!!! Lemon lime flavour is perfect too image Let me know how much etc when you get back

Safe trip home xxx