Options

Edinburgh Marathon

Comments

• Options

nice one Gold Pig. I made it out as soon as I saw the sunshiiiiinnee and enjoyed a good X-Country effort. No idea where I finished but I caught santa on the last lap so all is good.

'twas a little fresh though

• Options
    Dave, It's Champions League next stop! Going to Old Trafford on Tuesday as guest of AIG which was arranged before all the job business kicked off. Fair play to them as they're still happy to take me.

Having said that, it may not be a good experience. I suspect Mr Ferguson may have had a few things to say after the Villa result and we may be in the way.

No running today again. Really need to get focused. Must get out tomorrow.
  • Options

Well done GP... Excellent time there. image

Glad to see you managed to release yourself from the clutches of the duvet Dave, it was nice in the sunshine yesterday if a tad nippy...

For those of you not my friend of FB, I manged 13.85miles (according to Nike+) yesterday and I tell ya it felt like I had on totally different legs to last week... I breezed through the miles and managed to average an 11:30pace (yes I know I'm slow) over the distance which I'm pleased with as to finish in 4:59 at Edi I need to be doing an 11:25mile.   It did resemble an old peoples home in our house this morning though with the little shuffley footsteps accomanied by the odd ooooh ow ow...   Mr CS managed 12.02miles which is the furthest he's run too.

Teuchter, was that a new mac you had on yesterday???  Very flash (so to speak)... and the little santa hat was a nice touch...  image

• Options

GP - great result - and what a way to finish,,, I like the idea of the  finish-line raffle- especially for beerimage

Goldeagle - I'll also be there ot Old Trafford - with my eldest - cheering the Reds... No such luck with the hospitality tho - we'll be slumming it in the South Stand   image

Caz- I put in a good word  with the  loss adjusters while  in Cumbria over the weekend - told 'em to pull their finger out and give priority to those needy builders in Yorkshire.... which goes against the grain somewhat, being the wrong side of the Pennines image

<puts on tin helmet and dives for cover>

• Options
    Caz- glad the effort was appreciated image Yes the fur-lined red mac get's an airing every twelve months - and I thought the little red hat was rather tasteful.... and so practical for this time of year image
  • Options

You can come out from behind the sofa Teuchter... I'm not a born n bred Yorkshire lass... Been up here 20years but born & raised in the big smoke. I can prove it, just listen.... Alright geezer, ow ya doin'? Sorted, innit!! Seeeeee. image

• Options

Cheers peeps.

Well done Dave with the x country and also your heroic deeds clearing the drains last week.

Caz...Thats a great run, doesnt matter of the pace as it is a Long Slow Run, think of the time on your feet.

teuchter...i forgot about the club do last friday, did you go. I didnt fancy driving all that way and sitting in a corner with pop n crisp anyway. Are you doing the club handicap next week, i am thinking of just concentrating on building my LSRs at the weekends. I have a 10k on the 27th then the Lancashire half on Jan 3rd, so would want to achieve at least 13m next weekend.
    BTW...my 16 week plan for Paris starts next monday.

• Options
    Cor Blimey ..... It must be true.... I can tell you're from Daaan Saaaaaf !  I bet you like jellied eels.... and 'a couple o jacks' and a cup of 'rosie lee' for breakfast.....   please dont tell me that's just a Cockney stereotype ? image  At least you'll be easy to spot in Edinburgh - you'll be the one running in pearly sequins image
  • Options
    Hi Gold Pig... no I didn't go to the club booze-up.... will probably do the club handicap tho, as I missed it last year. Dont blame you for concentrating on the LSR mileage, esp with your races coming up. Good luck with the Paris plan image
  • Options

OK I'm a little bit scared now... Have just tweaked and re-printed my training plan as I was down for doing a 15mile LSR this weekend and that ISN'T going to happen... I'm out on Friday & Saturday so there is no way on earth I'm gonna convince my legs to run that distance... Have reduced it to 10, which I think will be do-able with a mungus bowl of porridge & copious amounts of water in me.... Anyhoo the scary bit is, when I 1st printed my plan it went onto 4 pages and now its on TWO!!!  Eeek!!!

Has anyone else signed up for the Kilomathon???  The Scottish one is the day after our wedding anniversary so we're doing that one together... Not too sure about the Tay Bridge bit, could be a tad windy... hey ho...it'll be different I suppose.  Mr CS has signed up for the English one too as he's thinking about doing all 4.  image

• Options

Caz...how many weeks is your plan. If you dont do 15m this weekend, why get anxious as theres bags of time before edinburgh. If you manage to get 10m in then that will be good, its better than doing nothing.

Anyway youve just done 13m this weekend and that was a piece of pissimage

I thought there was only 1 kilomathon, so theres 4??? Money spinning racket if you ask me.image

• Options

There's 1 in each bittie of the UK... England & Scotland this year, Wales & Ireland next year...

Er-hum.... 13.85miles... image  It was down as 14 but I got back to the car at 13.85 and I couldn't be bothered running up and down the street for the last 0.15mile.

I basically took Shades 16 week plan and extended it so the increase in mileage never seemed too daunting if you get what I mean... Rather than increasing the LSR by 2 miles I changed it to just 1 mile for the most part and took the increases really easy with lots of drop back in miles thrown in for good measure.  For Instance over 4 weeks I go, 14, 15, 12 & 16 on my long runs.

• Options

Sorry about that....13.85m...that .85 is a lot to forget and i cant apologise enough.image

Regarding the jump in miles each week, part of it is mental let alone physical. Why dont you just treat this week as a fall back week then jump back in at 14m, then swap the 16m & 12m around.
    As for distance you are well ahead of me, so you are doing well.

Keep up the good work Cazimage 

• Options

Hello all, I've read a few of your posts and have decided you're the ones for me. I need a kick up the arse now and again as well as some encouragement, i'll try and return the favour where I can.

I have just entered the Edinburgh Marathon, the fourth marathon I've paid for but I've only run one marathon before which was London this year. My time was 3:56 but it was about getting round that mattered. I picked up a small injury in my ankle 2 weeks before race day which meant there was no way I could go for the time I'd worked for which was 3:15 so I decided to be an attention seeker and ran as Darth Vader, crossing the finish line was amazing but I am now wanting to see what time I could do. I applied for Loch Ness but it was a logistical nightmare so entered Leicester for October, I had run about all but 2 of my LSRs for the training but couldn't face anymore with about 6 weeks to go and wasn't looking forward to the race. I sacked it off and I'm glad I did. Now I feel I'm ready to go again but still not too crazy about doing the LSRs anything to help stay positive for these would be appreciated.

The race predictor suggests that I should be able to go sub 3 when I enter my half and 10k times but I know the marathon isn't  predictable and it takes some very dedicated training, a bit of luck in staying injury free and a lot of mental toughness. I don't do much racing as I play football on Sunday mornings and running is more about keeping me fit for that and keeping weight off.

Anyway, just a little introduction as I'll pop on here from time to time in the build up to the race.

• Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has already been covered further back in the the thread but is anyone doing the hairy haggis relay?

Thinking about doing it as London is going to be my first marthon so don't want to go straight into my second but mainly because trying to give my mum something to get fit for.

• Options

Don't think anyone has mentiond the HH on this thread - sorry K8. We're all die hard marathon runnersimage honest!

Welcome on board Beetroot - out of interest what are your 10k and HM times?

• Options

Alright R Dave, thanks for the welcome. My HM time is 1:28 and my 10k time is officially 38:04 but I did a run10k event a few weeks ago in 36:29 although this is unofficial - not sure why, may be the 10k distance isn't accurate. I'm doing another HM in January and I'm hoping to get my time down by at least 5 minutes but we'll see. Sub 3h marathon is a tall order for me but I want to give it a shot.

K8, a few people in my office are doing the relay, or they've talked about it. They may be looking for a 4th team mate as I've signed up for the race now.

• Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

Edinburgh is on my list of marathons I want to do, hopefully 2011.

Mentioned the relay to my mum as she said she needs a kick up the arse to do some exercise but she still hasn't given me an answer! Because my holiday time has already been allocated next year I would have to fly back home on the Sunday so if she doesn't want to do it then I'm not too fussed as I would prefer to make it more into a short break another year.

However, beetroot if you do need a 4th team member then I would still consider it.

• Options

I did the relay this year K8 and I have to admit to finding it really hard... I was the 3rd leg and the 1st two on our team ran at about an 8-9min mile whereas I'm a happy little 11min miler (on a good day) so I entered the field of runners way out of my league and struggled to find my pace.  In fact I was paggered after only a couple of miles cos I just couldn't get my pace down to my comfort zone.

Oooooh Beetroot, mines a pint of lager... Just thought I'd mention it as by the time I'm finished you'll have had time to get back to the hotel, shower, change & get to the beers in...  image

• Options
    Hi Guys,

Welcome Beetroot and K8,

Caz - your training's still miles ahead of me. I've done 2 runs,
    total 14 miles. Hope to get out with the club tonight for the first time in a few weeks.

Teuchter - Hope you enjoyed the game more than I did - you must have done, marginally! I think if I'd had to pay 42 quid for a ticket plus all the other costs of the journey from Wolves to watch our 'Reserve' side, I'd have been a bit miffed. On top of that the M6 on the way back had turned into one 60 mile set of road works and I didn't get home until 1.30. Felt sorry for all the United supporters who presumably had farther to go to get home than me.........
  • Options

Welcome Beetroot, K8 - good luck with the training !

Goldeagle - happy with the result - but - truth to tell - we didn't go to the match  in the end image  My lad was so shattered (not sleeping too well) after school that I decided that returning home at 11.30 pm or later would have been a really bad idea for him - so we knocked it on the head.... Mind you, every cloud has a silver lining - went running with the club instead - and had a really good session trying to keep up with some of the faster runners image

Sorry to hear about your journey home ..sheesh ..1.30 am ?  What a nightmare ! And aye - I daresay plenty of Man U fans would have been snarled up in the  tailbacks heading  further South. When we're playing at home to a London club - we invariably get taunted  by the opposing fans at the end of the match:

'Cockney, Cockney... give us a lift ! '

'Cockney..... give us a lift !''   image

• Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

My training for VLM has been going well, up to a comfortable 8-10 miles before work in the mornings!

I've had my eye on the Edinburgh marathon for a few years now, love the people and love the city. I always said London had to be my first marathon and then after that I can enter any I want!

Thanks for your post Caz, aside from the pacing problems was the rest of the relay enjoyable. I'm not a competative runner at all so my advice to my team (if they agree to enter!) is take as much time as you want. My potential team mates would consist of 2 people who have never run before so I just want it to be a fun event rather then people feeling under pressure. 

I know we all had to start somewhere but it makes me chuckle when my mum worrying about training for the shortest leg of 4.7 miles! I've got 26 of those bad boys to do in April! Like I said though, we were all beginners at some point.

• Options

K8 there was a LOT of waiting around, obviously...  I have to admit to feeling sorry for our 1st leg guy, as he was on his own for ages...but that could've just been how we organised it.   The 3rd & 4th legs start from the same area so Mr CS waited with me for the 2nd runner to get in, then the 2nd runner waited with Mr CS to accompany me to the finish as I am seriously hopeless at finding people in a crowd and would've gone into panic mode.    It was really well organised, other than the meeting point at the end which wasnt signposted at all and was a considerable distance from the finish.

*looks sheepish*  I was meant to go for a 4miles hills based run tonight... but when I got back from abs (which was REALLY hard) I just couldn't get my mojo kickstarted... image

• Options

I'm in this one.Just booked my accom in That Edinburrow.

I love E me.

• Options

Caz, if I get under 3 hours I'll be more than happy to get the beers in.

On the Wolves front, I thought that decision by MM was weird to just right off his team doing anything at Old Trafford. I think some of the players would be a bit miffed too. I bet when the fixtures came out the first team players would be really looking forward to playing there. It might end up backfiring on him.

Trying to get a B & B booked for 22nd May in E'burgh but l keep getting told they want minimum 2 nights booked - what's that all about!

Not done much running for a while really, I just started to push the distances up with two 13 milers in the last couple of weeks and then got an annoying cold. Nothing too bad but enough to make me take it easy.  Feels like 1 step forward 2 back but I'm sure a little rest will help, not really had one for ages. Got a HM in about 5 weeks, I'll get myself ready for that and hopefully that will spring me into full marathon training.

• Options
    Hi Beetroot,

It seems to have caused a bit of controversy not least in the Black Country but I'd be pretty annoyed if the Premier League take any action after ignoring similar transgressions by Liverpool and Man U.

On the running front, I just can't get motivated at present and the weather isn't helping. No snow yet but it's bloomin' freezing.

Welcome JJ.
  • Options

Morning all.

Your times look on target for a sub 3 beetroot if you can get the miles in. Your a tad quicker than me over 10k but slower over HM so I guess you need to work on maintaining pace for longer periods. I ran Edinburgh last year in 3.02 and had 6.45's up to mile 16 and then found it tougher after that mark. Trying to get to 20 x 6.45's which will leave me with some room to work with for a sub 3. Well that's the plan.

Ran HM in 1.32 on Wednesday on a cold and wet night on footpaths. Quite happy with that at this stage. Followed it up with 9 miles last night and for an encore I'm eating curry and getting on the beer this afternoon - ahh well, never mind.

Can I just say at this stage that I think Jez Moxey is a complete tw@t. Sorry for the language but he just is.

Have a good weekend everybody

• Options

You are all making me feel really guilty , I haven't run for 10 days now. Had a very tight hamstring, then just as that got better, I got a real stinker of a cold. image

I'm just about ok now, and here comes the snow.........It seems to be fated at the moment.  I just keep promising myself that after Christmas, I'll be dead strict on my plan.

Gold Pig, all this talk of finish times has got me thinking , seeing as our 10k times are spookily similar, what time are you going for in Edinburgh? And what's your PB for a  half  - mine's 1.59, done last summer at Freckelton.

• Options

Evening peeps and hello to the newbies.

Not done much running myself this week and in 2 minds whether to go out tonight. Well done to you guys clocking the miles.

BBP...my plan for Paris starts on monday and i am looking at 4hrs or close enough. Then with Edinburgh 6 weeks later, hopefully i can have another crack at the same time.
    I have only done 3 halves and my pb is 2hr 31 sec which was done at blackpool last feb. Ive got the Lancashire half 3rd Jan, so hopefully i have improved and will give me a good idea what work i need to do.