Options

Edinburgh Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Have a good Christmas, everyone!
  • Options

Who's running on christmas day??? I hope to if the thaw carries on.

Merry Christmas to you all.image

• Options

Merry Christmas one and all.

Had an amazing run this morning with the missus (Slo Jo) along the snow covered trails in bright sunshine. I stopped after about 1.5 miles pulled out a 'huge' rock from my running shoe and asked her to marry me next to a big tree where I had carved out our initials.

SHE SAID YES

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

• Options
    R dave - what can I say.... that's fantastic imageimage Congratulations to you both ......image erm... I'm assuming Slo Jo isn't currently your missus...or anybodey elses ? image
  • Options
    Dave...Congratulations to u both, who said romance was dead.image
  • Options
    How's the running going GP - have you been out and about ? I'm assuming there'll be the usual club run on Tuesday...
  • Options

Awwwwwww Dave that is so sweet.  Congratulations to you both. image

I'm back, did you miss me???

Well we went out for our traditional 1/2mile on Christmas morning... brrrrrrr it was nippy... as my mum pointed out when we got back... image  I got oodles of running related stuff off Santa, am going to try out my new long sleeve top & tracksters today I think. image  We managed to do a 4.5mile run on Sunday, Mr CS was sniffing & sneezing for all he was worth so we cut it short... He must've been bad cos I ended up walking up to Sainsburys (about a mile from my mums) looking for a chemist for him.

All the snow & ice has melted round where my mummy & daddy live, unfortunately its still in abundance in Yorkshire... Boo hiss!!!  Oh well, could be a shorter run than originally planned... 3 or 4 miles will burn off copious amounts of lager/wine/baileys/chocolate right???  I only ask cos we're going to a black tie event tomorrow night and my dress isnt very forgiving...

• Options

I'm hopefully going to run Edinburgh in 2010.

I've applied for a guaranted place with 'Guide Dogs for the Blind.' However I've not yet had a reply. Does anybody know how soon they reply/inform you ?

• Options
    Hi there Birkmyre - good luck with your application. Not sure how quickly they confirm - but mebbe they're a little slow over the Xmas break.... when did you apply ?
  • Options

Morning all

So glad the ice has finally gone from here, its been so frustrating not to be able to get out. I havnt ran for 10 days and went to the gym for last night for the 1st time in weeks. The weather doesnt look too good today but at least i can see the pavements. I will get out for a run sometime today but dont know how far yet.
    Panic stations as i have got an half mara this sunday and am wondering how much fitness i have lost. Theres only 300 entries and i would hate to come last, but saying that it would be nice to get 13m under the belt.

How much running has everybody else done.....come on make me feel better.image 

• Options

GP... don't panic Mister Mainwaring !!   I went out with the club last night for my first run in ages... and only  two of us turned up !! Even worse - t'other chap usually runs in the lead bunch - so after about a mile and a half, we agreed to split and run at our own pace... which I was more than happy about because a) by that stage I was already fucked, and b)  I would have been mortified to have dragged him around the whole course with me for the duration...... O and don't tell anyone, but I also missed out the bridge (you know the one!) . Suffice to say  -I was knackered - but glad someone turned up or I wouldn't have made the effort !! Good luck for the sunday halfer - which one is it ? You'll feel great when you've done it.... BTW - Signed up today for the Chernobyl 10k (Preston) on 24 Jan...

• Options

Teuchter...howz it going. So u were running with the elite last night then, at least you turned up. I definitely know which bridge you're on about, and ive only been there once.

Thats a great name for a 10k..chernobyl...its got "glowing" reports that race.image I'm doing another half on the same date, over in York...the Brass Monkey.

Well ive managed to get out today for a run, the 1st since Dec 16th and boy could i tell. I managed 6m in what can be called baltic conditions, and in places still had to dodge icy patches. I was so glad when it was over, i was shattered and it was a slow pace. Dont know how i am gonna improve to do 13m in 4 days.

On a positive note, ive done a run and feel better for it, well only just.image 

• Options

Yeah don't panic GP - My first run was yesterday after a 7 day 'rest' I set out to do 10 miles, then posted that I only did 9. However, when i checked the distance it was only just over 8 image

Felt terrible as well.

12 more tonight though - before we get the snow back again

• Options
    Also racing on Saturday in the Sheffield X-Country Championships. Hope it snows for that!
  • Options

hello peeps,

I've not posted before, I've run Edinburgh the last couple of years but always just after another spring marathon and always struggled in the closing miles. This year I'm going for it as the main spring marathon and am hoping for a PB if training goes to plan.

merry christmas all and good luck to us all with the wintery LSR's ahead .... brrrr!

• Options

Hope everybody had a good christmas, R Dave congrats on popping the question.

Only managed a couple of runs (2 and 4 miles) over christmas, should of had a 9 miler on boxing day but came down with a case of S and D and spent 2 days trotting to the loo and shivering on the settee, hoping to get out on new years day for a 10 but i'll see how it goes.

• Options

Welcome Gazzaroonie, hope the training goes well and you get your PB.

Beavis..was your trotting measured, every bit counts when adding up the miles.image Hope you feeling better and good luck with the 10 miler.

Dave..you're more than welcome to have all the snow, we're not selfish on this side of the pennines. Good luck with the x country run. 

• Options

Congratulations R Dave, good news you old romantic!

Welcome Gazzarooni, I'm new here myself but they're all lovely!

GP - do you live near York or are you travelling far for the Brass Monkey?

I, like most of you have been lazy this month but I haven't really worried - which is a worry. I had a few days off with a strained hamstring, then a cold, then the snow and then I forgot all about running and that it was something that I did. So with only 2 runs in 4 weeks, which were about 3 weeks ago I tried intervals on the treadmill today and I was pleasantly surprised with the first 2 out of 7, by the 5th I was knackered - I did manage to do them though. If I can get something over 10 miles in this week as well I won't feel too bad and will have my head back in order. My motivation went completely until today, getting to the gym and doing those intervals seems to have given me a bit of a shake up, that and the news today that 2 friends have just put in for Edinburgh, it will be their first marathons and with me being a veteran with one under my belt I can justify doing their heads in with everything I know!

I think we all know it's time to put the chocs down and get the trainers on. The road to Edinburgh starts here!

• Options
    Many congrats Dave, welcome Gazzarooni.

Managed a really slow 12 miles on Monday. The towpath was really icy and only way to run was on one of the 2 strips of vegetation at the side. Obviously I chose the one farthest from the canal. Hard work.

Completed 6 decades on this planet on 29th so been out for a small 'celebration' with my sister and a couple of friends tonight. Out with the 2 'children', 27 and 25 at the weekend.

As Beetroot says it's time to get serious! Well, after the weekend, maybe.

Happy New Year everyone.
  • Options

Teuchter: I applied last Monday. Thought they might be a bit slowreplying because of their Christmas Holidays.

Anyway, it's given me some extra motivation over the Christams / New Year holidays to get out training.

• Options

Welcome on board Gazzaroonie - we'll be gentle with you.

Beavis - Is your S&D the same as mine on Boxing Day? Mine was sadness and depression when I realised I had gotten engaged the day before and that my life was as good as over. Good motivation though as I can pretend that I am running from the old 'bread knife' on my LSR's and the miles will fly by.

Gold Eagle - Many many congratulations on your milestone birthday (or is it millstone) Hope you had a great day with the family.

Just a quick mention for running. After 7 days of nothing I managed to get off my arse and brave the rain for an 8 miler on Tuesday (slow and painful) followed by a 10 miler yesterday (slower and more painful) Planning a 'brisk' 10k this evening before a meal with friends in Sheffield and then a short trail run on new years day followed by X-Country race on the 2nd. It's all or nothing with me at the minute!

Word of advice if you are struggling to break your 'cycle of inactivity' You just need to get on your runners and get out there I'm afraid. The longer you put it off - the harder it gets. Make it a priority guys (and gals)

Have a great new year everyone and may 2010 be the year of the PB

• Options

Morning peeps, the plan said 6 miles yesterday but even as I ran the 1st half mile (which is all downhill) I knew it just wasnt gonna be my day... I admitted defeat at 3miles and did the walk of shame back home.  It was sooooooo cold (apparently -3 wind chill factor or something Mr CS said)...  Meant to be 14 this Saturday, but I'm not convinced... especially if the towpath is still all icy...Will see how I get on and chalk it up to experience.

Have a fab New Year peeps and see you all next year. imageimage

• Options

Morning all

Gold Eagle...Congratulationsimage

Beetroot...I'm travelling over from Wigan for the Brass Monkey, what about you?

Caz...it was cold yesterday as i was in it, and mr cs is right about the windchill....What was wrong yesterday, or was it just one of those days. At least you got out and put 3 miles in the bank and i'm sure you'll do better next time. I wanted to stop at 4m yesterday and take a shortcut home, but the path was too muddy. I then had to stay on the main road and would of felt a little embarrassed walking, so this spurred me on to do the extra 2m.

Have a great 2010 everyone and happy running.image 

• Options

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

R Dave, ta for the motivation, I really need to get back in to my long runs which I've neglected for months.

I've just finished a slow lunchtime run which will be my last run of the year, sportstracks tells me that's 852 miles running - 202 of which were in the last 6 month. The opposite is true comuting to work on bike, 1480 all year and 1110 in last six months. It's strange the way you change training to fit in with life but, with a marathon looming, it's time I think to swap that around a bit !, note to self :- I must fit my LSR's in somewhere.

any end of year reflections / new year plans anyone ?

• Options

Happy new year everybodyimage

So who's still got a sore head, let me guess!!!!!!!image 

Just been for a run which was only 5.5m, but at least its a start in the right direction. Has anybody else ventured out ?

• Options

You guessed right GP - Only ventured out for an emergency KFC today.

• Options

Gold pig, I never thought about clocking the trotting mileage, that's quite a good idea, and another thing i don't think i'll have put any weight on over christmas with all the "both end extraction" that went on, BONUS!   image

Happy new year to everybody, hope everyone has a good one.   image

• Options

Beavis...no weight gain over christmas is defo a Bonus.

I wonder if Dave saved any KFC to share, or will it be just a bucket full of bones???

• Options

Hi help please, I got someone else to sort out my online application for the edinburgh marathon, but as I only found out yesterday he has not brought any bus tickets to get back to princes street, can you buy them seperately? or on the day?

I have already taken him out and slapped him silly with a wet fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers in anticipation

G

• Options

Gareth you can order them anytime up until your race pack coming through as far as I can work out.  Dont panic!!!  If you get your friend to log back on and go to the shop bittie they can then add bus tickets to their order. image

GoldPig... It was just one of those days the other day, dont think the weather helped or the fact I was running a route that I know bores me silly when I'm on my own.  I should know better. image

Happy New Year everyone, I hope the hangovers have all but worn off and we're all good to go... Serious training starts NOW!!!  And I'm putting my run off until tomorrow as the weather looks better LOL.