Options

Edinburgh Marathon

Comments

• Options

Hi GP - I think a few of us are struggling for consistent running at the moment... tho it sounds as if R Dave is packing the miles in image . the roads are like BBurn Plodder's ice rink around here at the mo - and only set to get worse into the evening- so I for one wont be turning out at the club tonight - I'll be surprised if there are many takers.... BTW are you thinking of doing the club handicap on Sunday ?

BBurn P - that's really a bummer - aint that always the way of it ?? I had a similar sequence of problems early last year - one after another.... Anyway - if it's any consolation... I'm telling myself the same thing - get all the distractions of Xmas out of the way, then a good crack at things as soon as we're into the New Year... Cheer up ! image

• Options

Hellooooooooooooooooo

The plan originally said 15miles for today, but I reduced it to 10 after arranging to go round to my friends for food & drinks last night but now I'm thinking I'll just see how I get on...  We walked back down from our friends last night and had to walk in the middle of the road as the pavements were just sheet ice under a thin layer of snow.

Bburn, hope you're feeling much better now... Lots of Vit C & Enchinachea to keep any other winter bugs at bay.  I'm sure once Christmas is out of the way you'll be whipping through those miles no problem at all. image

Dave you can say what you like about Jez thingymajig for me sweetie, cos I've no idea who you're talking about.

Happy running/slipping this weekend peeps.

• Options

Dave...who is this Jez chappy, is he a bigger tw@t than that Jez Quigley who was in corrie image

BBP...will send some grapes roundimage

Caz...ive cancelled my run as its snowing very hard here. As u say, its the ice already on the pavements that a worry. Didnt think i'd say this but it may be a couple of miles on a treadie image

• Options

Thanks for the grapes Gold Pig, although I usually prefer my grapes fermented image

How'd you do Caz, did you manage 14 miles?

I did 5miles on the treadie yesterday. Boring, but better than breaking my neck on the snow & ice, and no twinges in my hamstringimage.

• Options

GP He's a bigger tw@t than anyone whose ever been in corrie.

Although I am running him close after this weekend. I had too many Mojito's on Friday and then had a bad fall in the snow. Luckily I managed to break the fall with most of my face and my kneeimage

No running for a few days until I feel a little bit better oh and the snow melts.

Glad your running again BBP

• Options
    Jez has that affect on a lot of people but I think on the whole he does a half-decent job. Fortunately he doesn't pick the team and Merlin's men appear to be up to 12th!!

6 miles on Friday and 10 yesterday make me begin to feel like a runner again. May even enter the Club's New Years Day Handicap Race as long as I don't have to drive there.

Hope everyone's injuries and things clear up over the holidays as January will be time to get serious!
  • Options
    My thoughts exactly Goldeagle, it starts for real in Januaryimage
  • Options

Ow Dave, hope you're not too sore today.

We managed a pitiful 4miles on Saturday.... The canal towpath was far too treacherous to even attempt so we stuck with pavements and the edge of the road but as it was sooooo slippy underfoot I was landing heavy with each footstep which in turn was sending shockwaves up through my body and playing havoc with my already aching abs... So by 3miles I was starting to whimper in pain and by 4 I'd just had enough, bearing in mind I was already having a wibble cos Mr CS had shouted at me for not paying attention at junctions and nearly getting run over. image

Did I tell you about my abs class???  You know those steps they use for aerobics, well the instuctor had us doing our sit ups on that... The step was on its highest setting and the idea was to go back until your shoulders were just about to touch to the floor and then come back up into a full sit up... As I was partnered with the instructor I couldn't skive off at all so I have been in a lot of pain in the abs dept since.

http://images.rasmus.com/LWE%206-08/10031.jpg

Bburn well done on not dying of boredom on the treadie, 5 miles is quite an achievement and as you say needs must with this pishy weather.

10miles Goldeagle???  Have you not got sheet ice where you are???  Well done.

• Options
    Caz, we didn't have any snow in the West Midlands until Saturday night so the canal tow-path was ok. However the thin layer that came down then has now turned to ice and is absolutely treacherous.

So it looks like the runnings on hold for a bit unless I can follow Bburn's example and find a treadmill. But 5 miles on one of those? Don't think I could cope with it!!That's top commitment!
  • Options
    ....and they have a 20-minute time limit at my local gym during busy periods.. so unless you're Roger Bannister.... forget it image
  • Options
    Sounds like we all have the perfect excuse to eat, drink & be merry.....and worry about it after Christmasimage
  • Options

We started a new tradition last Christmas Day... we get up, don the running gear & Santa hat and go out for a little run and by little I mean LITTLE.  We're at my mummy & daddys this year for Christmas day so the plan is to go for a quickie round the block (less than a mile) which will set us up nicely for lots of eating & drinking safe in the knowledge that we've earned it. image

• Options

Sounds like a good plan. I've got parents-in-law staying with us for Chrimbo, so I think I might try that. Open pressies, get the turkey on, and then pop out for a little tootle round the block, before setting about making the dinner - I usually manage to get through a few glasses of white wine whilst I'm doing Christmas dinner,so better run first image

I've also bought a bottle of port and some really stinky cheese for after dinner. I can't wait!! I think I'm looking forward to that bit the most image.

I've already promised myself a LSR on boxing day to blow away the cobwebs, so to speak........and I'm sure after we've polished off a bottle of port between us, it will be a slow one!!

• Options

*tuts at Bburn* No, it has to be as soon as you get up... before presents etc otherwise how can you really enjoy that bacon buttie and glass of bucksfizz for breakfast whilst ripping open the selection box if you haven't earned it???? image 

I think we've got a reasonable run planned for the Sunday as I dont think there's anything planned for during the day that day and then I'll go out (weather permitting) for a decent run whilst Mr CS is at work on the Wednesday.

• Options

Ahhhhh! As soon as I got up.

Don't think so image. Can't see the little plodders waiting til mummy's been on a run to open their pressies, and I'd have to be up way too early to go before they start!!!

Mmmmm, like the bucksfizz & bacon buttie idea though, *goes off to amend the tesco online order to include bacon & fizz!*
  • Options
    Unfortunately the format for Xmas morning in our household will as usual, be decided by others ... ie the kids bursting in at 6am to ask if they can open their presents from Santa... Then the usual mix of checking  instructions, clearing wrapping paper, scratching around the kitchen drawer hunting for that  last pack of AA batteries....  dealing with the fall-out when somet doesn't work or gets broken.... all soothed by a glass of bucks fizz in one hand and a thornton's choccie in the other....image  May get a run out during the afternoon... but v. much doubt it .... best I can hope for is a quick nip around the block on Boxing Day.....  image
  • Options

Can see where you'd have problems there Bburn, OK just this once you can go out after the bucksfizz & present opening but before the pre-dinner Baileys.  image

*starts to wonder if maybe I should check myself into an AA meeting*

• Options
    We dont have kids so not a problem there in our house... Although dinner was delayed last year cos we got a Wii & WiiFit off Santa... image  As long as we're up before my dad, we should be ok for going out for a run... Not sure if my mum could wait until we got back if my dad was up as well LOL.
  • Options

I'm out for a run Christmas morning. 8 miles of trail running in the woods is probably a bit mental but it does give you the rest of the day off to binge.

Sorry to hear about your car Caz - Hope you get it fixed soon image

• Options

Finally got some miles in after nearly 2 weeks off with hamstring, a cold and too much snow. Did some tready miles last night - nearly fell asleep running it was that boring. I was out on York Racecourse in the snow at lunchtime, did a very slow 4 miles but it was good to be back.

R Dave - I'm hoping to do something about that half marathon time of mine to bring it in line. My PB was almost a year ago and although I've done 2 since then, 1 was very hilly and I did that in 1:29 and the other was the GNR and I was dressed as Buzz Lightyear (1:37). I'm doing a half marathon in January and hopefully I'll be nearer 1:20 than 1:30 but this 2 week set back and Xmas may mean I'll be disappointed.  I hope I get something half decent to give me a boost for my training for Edinburgh, with so much about the marathon being in the head anything to help the confidence is welcome. I also need to stop eating crap all the time, I could do with losing about a stone but booze, cheese and chocolate keep stopping me.....maybe in the new year I can sort that out.

• Options

Are you doing the Brass Monkey Beetroot?

I assume that's your January half if your from York Racecourse way?

• Options

Your instincts serve you well R Dave! I've never done it before so looking forward to it, good to do a local race and it's flat as an X-factor hopeful. Have you done it before?

Teutchter, that 20 minute time limit is rubbish - they had it at a gym that I used to go to but didn't really enforce it. They only had 4 treadmills and the speeds were all wrong as well. They went up to 16kph and I would run for half an hour or so at that speed, at the time I'd not really done any outdoor running or races and didnt realise that 16kph would and should be fast. When I went to another gym I put it on 16kph and flew off the back!

Let me just share this with you. I was at the gym the other day, quite late, it was about 21:50 and it closes at 10 so not many people about  - but I think this is unexcuseable behaviour - see what you think.....

The gym is open plan and on the first floor - it's floor space is probably about the size of a tennis court with 2/3 reserved for Cardio and resistance equipment and the other 1/3 for the meatheads (best avoided). Anyway this guy had obviously been working out and then decided to whip his top off and started parading about in front of the mirrors and shouting "COME ON!". Now we all might have those little moments when we're proud of ourselves but how wrong is that?

• Options

Beetroot - that would freak me out, and I'd probably consider changing gyms!!!!

One funny incident I witnessed in a gym. This bloke was boxing a punchbag - it was one of those stood on the floor ones, bit like an enormous weeble (wobble but won't fall done!).

Anyway he got so aggressive and worked up into a frenzy, he wrestled the punch bag to the ground, sat astride it, and started beating the crap out of it on the ground.  He even rolled around on the floor with it, punching and wrestling. I truely wish I'd had my phone on me to video him.

Literally everybody in the gym stopped what they were doing to stare open mouthed. It was hilarious, but scary at the same time. What a psycho!!! Must have been on steriods.

When he finished he just stood up, postured around a bit and wandered off into the changing room. I said to the bloke next to me "I'd leave it a while before going to get showered and changed if I were you" image

• Options

LOL - I love serious gym people - they are so funny and up themselves. Great stories guys.

I go to a gym about 3 minutes walk from where I live. It was an old council run swimming pool that was threatened with closure about 10 years ago so the community bought it and run it as a not for profit community business. It's a bit antiquated and doesn't cater for the posers and meatheads so we get loads of oldies in there just wanting to do something. It's a great atmosphere and no-one is pretentious. We even listen to radio 2 most of the time!

Yes beetroot I did it a few years ago and hated it. It's a nice race, good atmosphere and flat as london lager but I had set my sights on a PB and just ran horribly. So bad that a guy came past me at 12 miles and told me to lift my head up and use my arms. God knows what shape I was in but I look back at that race and think I learned a lot about racing but I hated it - every minute of it. Apart from the blonde that went past at 7 miles. I made an attempt to 'go with her' (in racing terms) but it wasn't to be!

• Options

If I see a blonde go past at 7 miles I'll bear in mind that all may not be as good as it appears then.

Went for a great run today, I wasn't really looking forward to it as I can feel the affects of yesterday's beers but once out there it was great. I went out past York Race Course to Bishopthorpe (which is where you go on Brass Monkey) and then took the river path back into York on the snow. It was great and I didn't see a single person on the path.

Great Psycho story BBP

• Options

Afternoon folk

Nice tales from the gym, none of that at mine, just one or two who think its cool to be on a treadie using their mobiles. Cant wait for the new year and all the newbies at the gym, pink lycra everywhere.....and that'll be the blokes. image

Dave/ Beetroot...i'm also doing the brass monkey. Dnt know how ive got in as i realise its hard to get in, full after 3 days this time. Also doing the liversedge half in Feb, nice couple of trips over the pennines.

Still no running for me, far too icy and cant do the treadie.

• Options

I was looking on my garmin last night. It made for very depressing reading. I have only clocked up 28 miles since the beginning of December.

Never mind, it's Christmas!! imageimage The big push starts in January

• Options
    I agree with that BBP - my mileage has been waaaaaay down this month! I dont  go in for New Year resolutaions as such, but DEFFO going for  the Big Push on 1st Jan........ well, probably the 2nd.....  image
  • Options

Well it's OK for you guys isn't it. My mileage is way down as well and I can't start the big push until around the 5th of January (birthday on 3rd) add to that my first marathon is only 10 weeks away

*searches frantically for panic button*

Looking forward to your brass monkey reports guys. Don't be put off by my negativity. I just had a bad day thats all.

Heavy snow last night - the missus is already making excuses to avoid the Christmas morning run

• Options

Good luck with that R Dave...

Yeh - it's v. cold and snowy round our part of the world (N. Cheshire). Got out at 7 this morning to go to work , and found that me new car had slid down the drive overnight (handbrake full on) and  stopped with it's nose two inches from the garage door...... ! Had to shovel sand around the back wheels to reverse up and out...