Options

Edinburgh Marathon

Comments

• Options

Bloomy oomer!!! You've got a 20.5miler in the bag already Beetroot... Well done.

I managed 6 in the snow on Saturday and I'm planning on going out for a wee run tonight, it will either be 2miles if my friend who's only just started running comes with me or maybe 4 if she bails and I can talk Mr CS into coming out with me. 

Yet more bloody snow in West Yorkshire this morning, so thats another day when my car hasn't moved off the drive.  Did see a car parked in a fence on my way in so I'm kinda glad I left the car at home.

• Options

OMG Beetroot, 20.5 miles already. That's fantastic !!

I managed 11.5 miles on the snow yesterday, and it was actually easier to run on that I'd anticipated. I tried to keep to the quieter areas where it was less slushy and icy, more fresh snow.

It was great to be outdoors and off the bloody treadmill.

I was about 1min per mile slower than normal LSR pace, but it still felt like hard work.

Only problem, one of my ankles is very sore this morning. I don't think it's serious, I just think that I'm not used to running on such uneven ground, maybe I twisted it slightly without realising.

Still, I don't think I'd attempt it in the evenings when it's dark. 

CS - my car's crap in the snow, I've been slidding all over the place. I live on a hill, so I needed a push out of our street two mornings last week. I have since started parking at the top of the street where it's flat, just so that I can get out in the morning. Walking isn't an option, work is much too far away.

It's bloody snowing again here this morning, but's definitely a bit warmer than last week (I clocked -15  last week on my car)

Please thaw soon.  Sick of it now .

• Options

Well done peeps - I can see  I've got some serious catching up to do on the LSR front ! Did my alloted 8-miler yesterday as per plan, but alas... on a treaddie.... and jeez it was soooooo boring !! The only hing that kept me going to the end was a chance encounter with someone I used to work with - on the treaddie alongside.... without the distraction of a chat I think I would have bailed out at about 4 !!

• Options

Good running beetroot - I cant face the prospect of a 20 miler yet although I posted a 60+ week last week. Might do 14 tonight as I'm away with work and got nothing else to do while stuck in Cardiff.

Where in West Yorkshire are you CazSoul? Hope it's not Bingley way as the missus says they got more of the white stuff last night

• Options

well im impressed i cant face running on the white stuff (too scared i'll get injured)

still only got 1 run this year with a bit of a run/walk on sunday

i dont know how you all do it and ive got kilomathon in 8 weeks time imageimage

• Options

Dave are you in Bingley or there abouts???  I'm just a couple of miles from there, so yep I woke up to yet more white stuff and there is more on the way apparently.

Angie, Mr CS is doing the Kilomathon and he had to bail at 3miles on Saturday cos he hasn't got over the cold he picked up at Christmas yet... You are not alone in the pitiful mileage stakes...

• Options

Ooh no Caz - I'm from the Peoples Republic of South Yorkshire - The Steel City!

My missus works for Yorkshire Water in Leeds and her colleague lives out Bingley way and said she couldn't get in to work today - lame excuse

Although I do like Bingley and always go to the Bingley music festival every year. Usually a decent line up and somewhere that's OK to take my daughter - LOL

• Options
    Ive only been back in training a couple of weeks so my longest run lately has onlyn been about 6miles image
  • Options
    makes me feel alot better but still need to up the miles roll on the rain image
  • Options

Sorry for the 20 miler boasting earlier. I don't mean to brag or make you all worry. I know how it is, Its like the annoying kid before the exam saying have you revised this and did you cover that?  - no but can you f*** off now please! Anyway, my apologies, I was just pleased to get one done as I hadn't planned to and it was OK. I knew you lot would be polite and give me a little pat on the back , which you did, thanks - you passed where Mrs Beetroot fails!

It actually makes a change for me to be the swot that we all hate, my role was always the person that made others feel better by not revising or doing homework, assignments etc. It usually went something like:

Student: "Have you done your assignment?

Me: "What assignment"

Student: "Thank God for that"

Me "Glad to have been of assistance"

Crappy slush here now, not so good for running on - it's intervals on the treadie for me tonight if I can get on one. Surely we only have about a week before the novelty wears off for half the gym members for another year!!

• Options

i was just amazed that some one got out and did that far id love to be the one to say ive done my 20 miler lol

im going out on the roads this weekend when the traffic is a bit quieter

our small roads are still hazardous so not going there looking for 6 on sunday and work up each week from there.

well done beetroot  

• Options

Beetroot don't apologise for running 20miles !!

I think we are just in awe of the achievement.

7 miles for me tonight. It's going to have to be on the treadie, the slush is slippier than the snow & definitely not a good idea in the dark.

I've ordered some SIS Go Gels of tinternet, so I'm going to start having a go with them soon. I've never used them before, always stuck to water (my longest run so far is about 15-16 miles, which I did several times last year no probs).

My plan says 12 miles this weekend - what do you expereinced marathoners think - should I wait until longer distances before trying gel, or start at current LSR mileage??

• Options

I'll probably do 8 this weekend

Managed 7.5 training last week so not bad for me 2nd week back

• Options

Bburn I'm not experienced in any way, shape or form but isnt it better to find out sooner rather than later if something doesn't agree with you?  I tried those bike shots (I think that what they're called) jelly sweeties with a gel centre, when I did my 14miler last month just to try them out to see how I got on with them and not only were they yum but they did seem to help my flagging legs.

12 for me this weekend, should be interesting if the predicted snow arrives with us... image

• Options

Caz, I agree with finding out sooner rather than later, but I wasn't sure whether to wait until I'm doing 18 or 20milers. BUT, I think I'll give it a go this weekend on my 12 miler, and see what happens.

So far, touching lots of wood, East Lancs has missed most of the snow over the last few days.........famous last word image

• Options

well was going out this morning but we have woken up to an ice rink image

roads and paths are death traps nearly all schools in our area are closed and crashes everywhere

so much for global warmingimage

• Options

Since we've had no fresh snow for 5 or 6 days, pavements and side roads are MUCH slippier than they were last week. They are like sheets of ice. Not Good!

I think the top layer of snow has melted, and we are now down to the weeks old ice underneath.

• Options

we had rain yesterday so it topped everything with a layer of ice

i will just have to wait

fingers crossed i can start running again soon

• Options

BB Plod - I thought I'd replied to your gel query but it's diappeared. Anyway I was basically saying what others have, just go for it. I wish I'd experimented with stuff like that before I did, I ran out of runs to feel comfortable with what I was doing with them.

I did intervals at the gym yesterday and therefore got a bit sweaty, you should see the look this woman gave me for it! If you can't be a swetty betty in a gym where can you? I put it in the same category as farting in the bathroom, there should be no complaints*.

Weather check: - drizzle with icy paths, not good. Those with decent snow, enjoy it while you can, its great to run on - the slush and ice is what you need to avoid.

*if your wife is having a bath with candles and all that stuff, she will complain.

• Options

BBP, I would try the gels sooner rather than later if i were you. Last year i tried my first gel on a 10 miler while training for london and i nearly threw up, it takes a bit of getting use to having the gel slide down your throat, but about 4 or 5 runs later i was managing to take them with no issues, if you do have trouble i would suggest having a drink to wash it down.

I won't be training for a couple of weeks as i've just come out of hospital after a small operation and got to take it easy, i had just built up to 10 miles and now i'll have to go back down to about 7 and build up again, BUGGER!!!

• Options
    Agree with what others have said BBP. Don't think you need to run mega miles to make use of gels. The manufacturers reckon around 40 minutes between them (but they would say that) although I prefer to have one at about one hour and then 30 minutes later. I'm not thrilled with the taste and try to coincide it with drinks although the SIS gels are easiest to get down and the blackcurrant is OK. Tropical is minging!
  • Options

Sending healing vibes your way Beavis, speedy recovery sweetie.

Woke up to sheet ice this morning, didnt even attempt to take my car out... It took Mr CS an hour to even get off our street courtesy of goodness knows how many kerbs it was that slippy.  And I'd be a seriously skint bunny if I'd had to put money in a swear box on my walk into work, they were all involuntary though as my feet slid all over the place.  Its not like I was in pishy fashion boots either, they were my big sturdy hiking boots.  Pleeeeeeeease let it clear up for the weekend, I'm desperate to get out for a decent length run. 

• Options

More snow this morning, this is getting tiresome now...  *offers up a prayer to the sun god* please come shine your lovely shineyness on us and melt this snow & ice.

How's everyone else looking???

• Options

More snow last night imageimage

Yet more treadie milesimage

• Options
    Slow thaw has started here this morning. But lots to thaw and it didn't stop 3 kids from throwing snowballs at our windows at 12.30 this morning. Should probably have gone out and clipped them round the ears but discretion won in the end. You don't know what you're getting in to do you?

Ran round our local park (which is only about 100 yards away) on Tuesday. Managed 6 miles which was quite hard work. May repeat that, and, fingers crossed, get some sort of long run in on Saturday.
  • Options

bit of snow over night here but starting to thaw image

hopefully by the weekend it will be gone (please please please)

• Options

Know what you mean GoldEagle... each time I've had to walk into work I've been praying that I didnt get hit by a snowball cos it would be so hard for me not to turn round and give them a gobful which would probably result in me getting my head kicked in or something...  Whatever happened to respect you elders??? 

Weatherman says 6-degrees & sunshine in Bradford on Sunday... Woohoo!!! image

• Options
    yeah says that for here too wooooooooohooooooooooooimage
  • Options

"We had a call today from Mrs Smith in Devon who says she has heard there's a hurricane on it's way. Don't worry, there isn't"

Don't trust the weatherman - He tells lies. Although Lisa Gallacher who does some of the Yorkshire weather is hot and can probably melt snow at one hundred yards.

Treadmill session again at lunchtime - BORING!

• Options

Could somebody tell me if my oldest son who is aged 17 (18 in June) can run in The Edinburgh Half Marathon on 23rd May ?

Can't see if he can, on the official site.