Options

Seaside 10K

Comments

• Options

Good luck to every one running tomorrow,its only my second 10k first was liverpool a couple of weeks ago i hope i have a better nights sleep than last time was up at 5.30am with me running kit on itching to go

• Options

You sound like me Molka!!image CANT WAIT!!

May be there earlier now if my daughter still wants to do the run in the morning!!image

• Options

Had my round of wholemeal toast and fresh OJ for brekkie earlier, just about to tuck into my porridge!! See you all there!!image

• Options

Just home from the race!!image

Got there early to meet a few people, met Xan, Golg Pig, Kerry and JPAtko before hand for a chin wag!!

Anyway in no time it was time to go over to the start line (lost Xan), stood at the back to avoid the crush at the front and met up with Gold Pig n Kerry. Then heard 10-9-8-7-6..... It was time to set off!!

Could be doin with jogging on the spot so used the grass to get the pace up, looked down and was running 6:40pace!! LOL Thought WOHHHHHHHHHH there and slowed, still doing about 7:30 pace and dodging through the field kept that pace to my surprise!!!!!!image

Coming round for the end of the 2nd lap saw the wife n kids and in a moment of madness, stripped of my jacket and vest and threw em over to her, now just running in my base layer!!image

Started to strugle a little around the 6-7K mark but kept it under 8 m/m and kept an eye on the markers 7K-8K-9K and started to push a little more (I was quite knackered by now though and waited fo rthe sprint finish)!!

Coming round back into the park and saw the finish, waited for about 200m left and basically sprinted in, passing 6-7 people on the way!!image

Anyway 48:07 according to the wife!! I cant tell you my actual time as the Garmin stopped recording at 4 miles (29:50 though at 7:28 avg for that though). Must of been a good 30 secs from the gun going to me pushing start and I dont think I faded to 8:30m/m + over the last few BUT I do know I went under 48, just dont have it recorded!! Anyway as sub 50 was my target and being my 1st 10K race i'm VERY happy with my time!! image

Saw Gold Pig and JPAtko after the finish and both had good times, even saw Kerry near the finish so know she got round (WELL DONE mate)!!

A VERY good day, very well organised race and few faces to names on here!!

Oh and cheers to Eric2 (I asume) for the laminated signs dotted about the course!! LOL Felt almost famous!!image

See you at the next one!!image 

• Options

Post race thoughts; good day for a race, bit chilly. Not so sure about the route, taking you up a pavement and dodging pedestrians and lamposts is a bit dodgy IMO, but quick otherwise.

Does anyone else think the course was slightly long? I was trying to get back under 40 mins for the first time this year.  At an average 6'23" pace overall, I should have dipped under 40 mins but ran a 40'05". My Garmin had 6.27 miles, so a bit over. Thats my 5 seconds!!!

A good run anyway. I opted not to take the nice new towel down to the beach for a post race dip!

• Options

Good run Paul and a good report, you seemed to have paced the race really well. My target was 52 mins so content to post 51.47, it got hard in the later stages. Look forward to hearing that the other posters beat their targets too. I was busy putting out the km markers so did not get to the bowling green to say hello. 

Results will be on John Schofield's site late afternoon/early evening - I will post the link as soon as the results appear. - Apparently there were about 690 finishers from over 800 entries

• Options
    Not sure if the course was long or not as my garmin refused to work full stop from the start.  V cold and big mistake running in shorts and vest. Should have stuck my tights on.  Was on for my hour cause Scott one of the speedy ones at my club only passed me at 5.5km unlike 4ish the other week.  One minor grip, I'd like to think I'm one of the more courteous slower runners who keeps left and watches out when the faster club runners are overtaking but at one or two points I was getting passed on both sides when there was absolutely no need and I found it really really offputting.  Good goody bag .but where they mixed up some how as me and blokie got different things.  He got medal and towel and I got t-shirt and bag.  Luckily I'm not bothered about the medal so we swopped around.  Would have been nice to have the same goody bags.  Was nice though getting your name shouted out though as you went past the announcer guy
  • Options

Did'nt even know bout the t-shirts!!image

Any going spare Eric??image

• Options

Well done everyone, was nice to meet up with a few of you too... Paul, Xan and Goldpig before the start and Paul, Xan and Kicked-it at the end image

Well done Paul, great time for your 1st 10k and Kicked-It for his new PB (supplied generously by Xan image great pacing)

Was very disappointed at the end for missing my target, but ok with it now.... brand new shoes (never run in before) and my heel injury opened up again and only missed my pb by 45 secs, so being a bit hard on myself image

Was a bit chilly, I agree, but got the distance about right, my garmin recorded 6.22miles, amended to 6.24 by sporttracks, so pretty accurate - rather it was a fraction over anyways (if it was) nothing worse than short courses and everyone thinking they have pb's when infact they haven't covered enough distance!!

• Options

Enjoyable race and nice goody bag. Start was a bit crowded but really enjoyed being at the back and having a nice jog round. Ankle is rather sore now but hey thats what they make pain killers for.

Weather was colder than expected and  the wind got to me a so was glad to get a hot chocolate from Morrisons afterwards

Anyway hope everyone enjoyed the day and don't forget to give this a race rating>

• Options

This would have been my first race but sadly I'm still injured so I had to miss it image

I got all my kit ready last night, went to bed early hoping that I would be fit in the morning but decided last minute that it's not worth the risk 

Hopefully soon I will be able to continue & find a suitable event to run my first race image

• Options

Afternoon all

Well it was a cold start to the day and i wished i'd stayed in the car, but once i was into the park i jogged around which soon warmed me up. Great to meet up with xan, Paul and jp atko for a quick chat. Walked over to the start and stood at the back with paul and Kerry. It was a slow start as expected and a little conjested but it didnt take long to get in  my stride. I seemed to settle quite easy and was running an average 9.15m/m which i was happy about. It was at the 5k point that the leaders were starting to pass me and my thoughts were how i wished i was on my last lap. I managed to keep the pace up and at 8k wondered if i should pick the pace up rapidly, if i could. That thought was still in my head as i reached the 9k marker so i decided to make a move and was randomly picking off other runners without any fightback and as i got closer to the finish line managed to sprint clocking 7m/m for the last quarter mile or so. Trust me, my garmin has never seen those figures before unless somebody else was using it.
    Anyway, was looking at the hour mark but managed 56.23 on my garmin and clocked 6.25m, so i have to be pleased and have a good idea as to where my fitness levels are. Met up with Paul after the race who had run a blinder, so well done to you. We also saw Kerry coming into the home straight so a big well done to you. The times that some of you achieved today were brilliant so well done to all you guys aswell.
    Thought it was a well organised race and would do it again next year, great goody bag aswell. Perhaps i would of appreciated a t-shirt rather than a towel, but overall cant complain. 

• Options
    i ran the 10k today,my garmin measured the course at 6.28m, had to do a lot of weaving and dodging on the last lap,conditions were perfect and i was pleased with 10th place in 36.02 was a bit gutted i didnt run 3 secs faster.it was my first seaside 10k but deffo not my last.
  • Options
    Great race, well done to everyone, runners and volunteers/helpers
  • Options
    Does anyone know if the rusults are posted yet anywhere? Can't find them on the John Schofield site. Not sure where i ended up, though pretty happy with time of around 38.55. My 1st time too. Will almost certainly be coming back for another banana next year! Great race.
  • Options

Results are now up, well done everyone:

http://www.ukresults.net/2009/seaside.html

What a great run, really enjoyed it, it was my first 10k and it won't be my last image

• Options

Well done to everyone today, a great race, well marshalled and supported..... and a fantastic number turning out to run   689 way to go image

Also well done to our new F1 World Champion.... JENSON BUTTON image

• Options

Hi All

Well done everyone.

I did it, i finished my first 10k image, was made up with my time 1hr 2mins 14secs, didnt think i was going to get anywhere near that.

It was nice to put some faces to names on here at the beginning too, thanks for the push at the end goldpig, just what i needed as my knee started to feel niggly. 

I really enjoyed today, a great race and would recommend it to any 1st timer.

Ive got the buzz now im definately gona try n fit another race in before christmas if i can.  image

• Options

T-shirt?

What T-shirt? Was it any good?

Just got back home after spending the rest of the day in Southport.

Absoloutely delighted with a 49:09, (according to Garmin), and an official time of 49:15...which is dubious but hey  - thats how it goes .

Both times are still PB times so very happy with that!

Missed everyone at the pre-race meet up because I arrived late with the entire tribe in tow, (mother-in-law tuned up in case I collapsed or something - she'd hate to miss that) , and couldnt find the Bowling Green. Apologies for that.

Blistering pace, (for me), saw steady 7:45 miles once we had cleared the congestion at the start, and I've got t othank Xan for pacing me superbly to another PB. Also have to apologise to him and anyone else I passed in my bonkers sprint to the line - dont know what came over me or where the energy came from but I decided to dredge up the last of my energy and up the pace for the last 200m.

Somehow that turned into flat out comedy running overdrive and I went off like Linford  to ungraciously pass my pacer and nick a few places.

I was going so quick I un-sportingly passesd someone after the line and cannoned nto the back of the next finisher... I did swap the place back though!

If its any consolation I'm hurting big time now and its all down to that daft sprint.

I thought the course struggled a bit with the numbers, particularly going past the radio contrlled car chaps who insisted on wandering across the track. i did bump into one old chap quite hard as he ambled out in front of me and I hope he's ok, (may still be in orbit).

Thnsg weent helped by the awkward sod who decided to open his car door onto the pavement full of runners, and then unload half a dozen dogs. Sheer Bloody Mindedness

On a positive note - the announcer guys did a great job and the course layout was great for spectators giving them the chance to cheer us on half a dozen times as we lapped and looped back on ourselves, (even if Mother-in-Law was gutted not to see me fall).

Went for a gentle jog up the Pier later on to run off the soreness and got into a race with the tram which was a laugh. Finished the day with a bag of chips and stroll down Lord Street.

Great day out and a belting race.... and the Ma-in-law is off to Australia tomorrow so a good weekend all in!

• Options
    Well done Kerry, glad to help out. Next time you will break the 1hr mark for sure. A great race to do is the Wesham 10k at the end of november, i'll be there. Its a flat course and will give you 6 weeks to prepare, good luck whatever race you do.
  • Options

If anyone's results are missing, let me know, as there were 3 duplication in the numbers, and one unknown runner!!!

Vince

• Options

Yeah Graham, was that sprint finish all about, you surely had too much left in the tank, must push you harder next time, you would have had a sub 49 if you hadn't kept slowing down to have your photograph taken!! lol

Good to meet some RW'er's at the bowling green, we'll have to arrange another pre-race meet. image

• Options

WooHoo official time of 48:05 in 277 place so nicely in the top half!!image

Another well done to all the PBers and to Kerry on finishing with the leftovers of a cold, next time under the hour mate!!image

New target for the next race 48mins!!image

I'll look into that Wesham race Gold Pig, any other info??image

• Options
    Paul...Dont forget you started at the back and it took me 22secs to cross the start line according to my garmin.
    Check that wesham race out on the events page, good reviews.
  • Options
    imageThe 'official' SUB 48 is on then!! Just entered Wesham, worth every penny of the tenner fee for the Tech top!!image
  • Options

I think i've caught the running bug, this was my second race and i loved it.Couldn't wait to get home and start looking for future events

• Options

I'll see you at Wesham then Paul - although with times like that I think I'll see no more than your back!

Tempted yet Xan?

Its a top notch technical shirt on offer.....

P.S. - according to my Garmin I hit 16mph on my bionic finish! I may volunteer for a drugs test....

• Options
    When is it  ????    I'll see if I'm not working ! image
  • Options

That was cold today. Well done to everyone and well done with the PB's.image

I couldn't even find the bowling green. Must try harder.

Managed to get a PB myself. My watch said 51.45 and official time was 51.53. Either way, it still beat my PB from 2 weeks ago of 53.07.image