Options

Great Welsh Marathon

Comments

• Options
    ps, anyone know if they have showers / washing facilities ? 
  • Options
    jason d......................are you serious image
  • Options

Hi everyone, have been lurking on this thread umming and ahhing over whether to do it. Training has not been ideal but have decided to do it and just relax about time. Could anyone e mail me the course map. Find it hard to make sense of the segments.

Good luck to everyone.

• Options

so if they change it this late do you think they will still have it certified??????

glad to read that the water is in 330ml bottle with sports caps.................much better than cups...........just hope if its this hot that they have some sponges on the course.......

• Options

Hi all,

Spent this morning packing my things for a nights stay in a hotel and for the race tomorrow.  I am now stating to get very nervous about the whole affair, stuffing as many gels as possible into by bags and pockets.

Thanks for all the support from everyone here - and hopeing for a good race tomorrow.

I look foward to hanging out with all the 4.30hr runners .  If I dont make my 4.30hr target, I'm still going for a top 500 place - regardless of tim, fingers crossed.

• Options
    Jason d......Thought i'd post quickly over here as I thought it would be the most likely one for you to read!!! Just wanted to say a huge Good Luck for tomorrow....Hope it all goes exactly how you want it to, you deserve it with all the training you've done! My dad asked me to pass on his best wishes too. We should be there cheering you on around 21 miles hopefully, so don't forget a big cheesy grin for the camera!!!

Good luck everyone else running and hope it's not too hot!!!!!
    Andrea x
  • Options
    dolphin..... i like the idea of a top 500 finishimage see you tomorrow...image
  • Options

Could anybody that knows the area now recommend a good spot for spectators on the new route, my husband would like to be able to see me on route but also be back at the finish to see me crawl in, hopefully sub 4 hr region.

thanks Jo

• Options

Good luck everyone! & as many have said before, thanks for all the support and advice along the way. Cold is 90% better now, so I will be on the start line no matter what.

I am NOT pleased to hear there is a change to the course this late in the day. Have only just rehearsed the course and drink stations in my head - typical!

Hope everyone has a good run.  This time tomorrow we can all relax and celebrate finishing. image

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

SN - yeah sorry- serious. The good news is that it removes a large part of off road track - and horrible running along a sort of metal grid for a couple of miles and replaces it with tarmacimage. The bad news is that we now have to cross the railway bridge by the Industrial estate 4 timesimage

Anyway, nothing we can do about it so lets just enjoy the dayimage

Andrea, Thanks for the good wishesimageimage- not sure if I'll be smiling by mile21, but will do my bestimage

• Options
    JD   how far away from the start is the railway bridge / industrial estate? thanks
  • Options

The route change shouldn't affect me as I had no idea of the original route lol.

Looks quite pleasnt out there so far here in Cardiff, leaving soon.  Forecast for Swansea shows temperature rising gradually later, but fortunately very little wind,

See ya there, have a good one! image

• Options

yes i remember that bridge from my bike scouting and agree that the part past the harbour had a strange surface...........

means that my supportes can wait at that industrial estate and see my 6 times go back and forth.if they want to run to the end they can see me go past the harbour as wellimage

see you all soonimage

good luck

• Options

Been lurking around here for a while. Was going to do this race but I have London next week.

Good luck to you all, looks like you have all put the hard work in so just get out there and go for itimage.

HAVE A GREAT RACE ONE AND ALLimage

• Options

I'm looking over the course now and there is bright sunshine and just a gentle breeze. Perfect running weather.

Good luck to you all - I will be cheering you on.

Cheers

Kev

• Options

They got away to a good start. Quite a few 3m's people running and a number of Neath / Celtic Tri / Sarn Helen as well.

After the first lap of the dock they had split and a group of circa 8 people were out front (the commentator said Steve Thomas of 3m's was one) plus there was a Sarn Helen guy and a Neath Runner (with a black and white pirate bandanna on).

There is no breeze now and the sun is shining. Saw a few putting sunscreen on! Hope it doesn't get too hot for them.

Speaking to the organiser - Tim Gasser (Human Being Active) he was expecting the first in around 3:00 or slightly before.

• Options
    Kev, that sounds like Glyn from sarn helen and Flying ant from neath.
  • Options
    just got in from my first ever marathon perfect weather great day  my time was 3hrs 40 .09  chuffed, hope everybody got the time they wanted
  • Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Cable- great to see you todayimage 

Race report - Great Welsh Marathon- with apologies to anyone who's already read it on another threadimage

Well typically after all the worries about the wind-swept exposed coastal route for today's race, the day turned out to be very hot and without a breath of wind- until turning at mile 23 into a headwindimage. Afraid to say that I wilted badly in the heat and any dreams of going sub 3:10 stayed as dreams. The other problem was spending miles of the race running alone- tough. In fact it was all I could do to push myself back to get the sub 3:15- but get it I didimageimageimage - no official result, but I made it 3:14.13- sure there won't be that much difference. Splashed gallons of suncream on and drank loads during the race- one of my club mates did a great job of getting bottles of electolyte drinks to me at mile 8 and 20image, but still suffering from the effects of the sun - lovely massage afterwards and drinking gallons of water now. The splits show my declineimage- with a bit of a spurt at the end: 7:07 7:16 7:12 7:11 7:12 7:11 7:10 7:11 7:10 7:12 7:12 7:14 7:14 7:16 7:27 7:30 7:30 7:38 7:36 7:38 7:48 7:54 8:12 8:04 8:08 7:39 21

• Options

Great Race. Really well organised. Bottles of water were great as it was quite warm.

Not an easy course!!!  12 bridges and 7 turn arounds all add up.

Well done with the sub 3:15 Jason.

I ran a blinder with 1:35... first half and 136 second half(+lot of sweat and shouting at myself to get a move on) so 3:11:06...London here we come.

Good recovery every one.imageimageimage

• Options

great results..imageimageimage

the heat did get to me as I don't run in the heat.............

but I really did enjoy the course much to my surprise though it was hard going past the finishers just before mile 20................my only disppointment with he organisation was some of the marshalls.with so few supporters around the course the marshalls could have made more of an effort to give encouragemnet...most of them at the drinks stations were good but some on the roundabouts in th eindustrial esate were just lying down chatting to friends................

the kids at the drinks station at 21 miles were the best friendly , encouraging and helpful

so although I slowed down after 17 miles and again after 20 i finally got the sub 4:30 I have wanted for 4 years...................4:25ish I think..............my son ran the last 7 miles with me and without his constant talking, bullying and motivation I'm not sure I would have made it...

• Options

FL, you were indeed correct mate  image   it was me and Glyn.

Great weather for running today, too many sharp turns for me though, but went ok in the end. Am pleased with my time and position considering i've had 2 months out with injury and only started back training 5 wks ago.

Hope everyone had a good race and an enjoyable day out !

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

Well done Staff and SNimage

Flying Ant - Good to see you living up to your nameimageimage - great running

• Options

Well done Flying Ant.

It was a great event. Weather was fantastic. I spent 4 hours on the course (in between popping home -400yds across the road).

The winner (David Kehoe) won by a clear margin - 5 mins or so at 2:42. There were a number of Runners in below 3 hours.

It all seemed to be well organised.

Nice to see a number of ladies running and the winner was in the +35 age group!!!

You guys were a great inspiration to me - very well done all.

Kev

• Options

jason d and RK,     thanks both  image

...... 2nd, 3rd, and 4th in marathon were all Vet 40's too !

RK, if i knew you were living so close i'd have dropped in for a shower to freshen up afterwards  image

• Options

Hi all,

Great day.  I have ice on my legs and feet and a beer close at hand.  Finished in 4hr 19 against a 4 hr 30 target so very pleased.

Seems like most people had some good races too, (though sorry you missed on your 3.10 Jason).

I am now the happy owner of my first marathon medal and a touch of sunburn too.

Lastly being an Englishman - I thought that the friendlish of the organises and the other runners and supporters was very good.

Happy i dont have work tomorrow!!

• Options

Well done everyone! So glad it is now all over & a chance to relax..

I finished in 4.21. Went off a little too fast at the start - hit 1/2 way point at 1.43 and died at the end (mile 21 onwards was torture) Unfortunately walked more than jogged the last few miles. Pleased with time though.

Not feeling too bad now - legs a little sore, but  otherwise all ok. Not sure if I hit the wall or not? Wasnt as bad as I expected if I did??

Well done for the times so far - good running. Hope everyone has a nice recovery.

Cable - good luck for VLM next sunday!

• Options
    Great to be able to run a Marathon so close to home (Bridgend) and it was really nice to have a traffic free course.I am running 4 marathons in 4 weeks as a challenge for fundraising for my charity "the Chloe Bigmore Trust" which my wife and I set up after losing our 13year old daughter to a rare cancer in 2007.I dont do heat that well and found the wind very refreshing,course was a bit back and forth on itself but went extremely smoothly considering it was the first one for this event.
    Managed to come in at 3.55 which was ok bit dissappointed in Taunton last week at 4.09. two more to go Shakespeare next week and the north Dorset the week after.
    Please visit our charity website and if you feel like sponsoring my efforts that would be very welcome.
    Thanks you for your time.
  • Options

Well done Paul - I saw you come over the line as the commentator mentioned your cause and I saw the writing on the back of your vest. Me very best wishes fir your next two marathons.

Kev

• Options
    Flying Ant - I wouldn't have been in - all our family were clapping in people to 4:30!