Options

Snowdonia Marathon 2010

Comments

• Options

Wow what a lot of posts!! Finding running pretty hard work at the mo!! Managed 3m tonightimageimage, but did set off far too fast cos legs felt fresh at first - so shoots of proper recovery there!! 6m fell race on Saturday possiblyimage - Rhobell Fawr - perfect intro BR as only 6m and not too vertical (pretty boggy though!!) need fell shoes and kit of course.

Great report, SZ- felt like I was there, but was glad that I wasn'timageimage

BN - put your coat down!image

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Yes, all those fell races have such weird names.

safety pin - re: AL, etc - couldn't have said it better myself.

Quote of the Day:

"I don't want to do a crap 2:29"

P. Radcliffe

• Options
    TRex - a crap 3:29 would do meimage
  • Options
    It takes all sorts. I'd take a crap 4:29. Does she realise how she's 'dis-ing' the mere mortals among us?
  • Options

I jest again, by the way, just in case anyone was wondering.

I'll take your pint, FF. Many thanks. I've not done a 10k (in isolation) for a few years. However, my weekends in January are already booked. Where is it, out of interest? Terrain? Ascent??

• Options

image It is my clubs modest little 10k road race which runs along the Lee-on-Solent and into Stubbington.  I shall be marshalling making the best orange squash you have tasted in your life!!! no less! image

........... those pirates on the tri thread are a little insane aren't they! think I'll stay here with the normal folk image

• Options
    Insane? I wouldn't know. I can't swim so I never look. image
  • Options
    Don't know how you tri folk manage it, FF! I have enough trouble training for 1 discipline!! Would never get organised enough to do a tri - and I can't swim very far either, BN!
  • Options

sap sips here you go..its aquickie...pb here for me 1.37 imagehttp://wrexhamroadrunners.org.uk/

unfortunately ive come down with something..feel nauseas, achy and like a lead weight so back to bed for me today i think

• Options

pmsl! JD, so far I haven't trained for my triathlons really..... not unless you call cycling to work one day a week and doing 50 lengths of the local pool one day a week training, with a little swim in a lake one day a month!!!

Oh dear CD....you haven't got that there piggy flu have you?

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I very rarely venture into the "Gasp!  Unconventional running " topic.  Something I daren't ask over there - what actually is a pirate?

Glad you think we're all normal over here, Fat Fyes.

Feel a bit rough myself, which is very unusual.  Just had my H1N1 jab which may have something to do with it.  Hope you're up and about soon, CD.  You don't want to jeopardise your SNOD training, which I hope has already started.

A crap 5:29, anybody?

• Options

i'll take that t rex..be a marked improvement on my 09 time

i've dragged myself into work feeling a tad better..must have been the thought of snod 2010 training that made me giddy

stay with us FF..you add a fourth dimension

t rex what is H1N1 jab for when its at home?

• Options

H1N1 is the swine flu vaccination which doesn't hurt...when you have it...a day later you can't lay on your arm and a day after than you feel like shit, lose your appetite and want to go to bed!  Hang on in there TRex...had mine Fri and felt better by Mon image

lol...fourth dimension...yay...go me!

A pirate...as I have found out....is some nutter who trains for an Iron Man in 9 months....with not very much training...and it started out as a jokey group but has now become an unofficial tri club where they all tell each other to 'feck orf' on a regular basis and post on the RW forum whilst inebriated.... so I thought I might fit it, but I think I'd have to skip a few pills first image  Hope thats cleared that up image

Just been for a 5.5 miler and really struggled, has to be the crappest run I've had in a while.  Felt heavy and achey, so maybe the jab is still having an effect.

• Options

CD - You must have passed th lurge via Internet to me. Pretyy mucgh all same symtomns. Thought I'd post on here and share the wealth imageimageimage No running since Monday.

BN - I was actually faster last year at Rombalds which suggested improvement. I'm not usually bothered about times in the LDWA challenge events but I am looking for 4's at Rombalds and the longer, but easier, Rudolphs Romp in my neck of the woods in Dec.

FF - Cheers for that, I also didn't know definition of a pirate. sounds fun if a bit nuts.

• Options

maybe this thread's contagious image

• Options

I forgot to mention one thing during my time up at Bwlch y Groes cheering you lot on. It concerns toilet stops during races, me personally would find somewhere discreet. But this runner, don't know who he was, was running down sideways, facing towards the lake with his todger in his hand (lucky there were no police on the mountain) urinating away, as funny as it looked he probably saved a few seconds.

SS

• Options

S S, I've heard of that carry-on and seen the evidence on the trail in American trail races, but never in a road marathon and certainly not in old Blighty. The grubby urchin. image

The first few times I saw the evidence I assumed there were lots of leaky water bottles out on the trail, then I read the anecdotes and it all began to fall into place.

Get well soon, all those who are ailing. I must say I wouldn't get myself injected with these weakened deseases, or whatever the concoctions may be. I prefer to take my chances. When it's my turn I'll catch it. I usually don't.

D E, Rudolph's Romp - another favourite of mine. Had to withdraw my entry this year due to business travel. Not sure if I've broken 4 on that one. It was 4:13 last year.

F F, thanks for the definition, and thanks for asking T Rex. I'd often wondered as well.

• Options
    reckon he might have got a bit of 'spray back' SS. nice image
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

And I think pirates do all the "wrong things" in training so some of us would fit in there!!

Or perhaps it's a misprint:

"I don't want to do a crap at 2.29"

P. Radcliffe

• Options

ooh, get well soon sickies, but don't infect me now i'm nearing my year's target race!

Hmm, liking the fact that the Bullock Smithy doesn't require me to buy any new maps. The probable 12 hours+ running is a little bit intimidating however. Going to try my hardest to get the weekend free for Lairig Ghru, after FR has recommended it so often.

Tonight's tipple: Somerset cider.  I've always hated cider and have decided to train myself to like it.

• Options
    I can't believe you need that length of training (9 months) to add a bit of swimming and cycling before a marathon.
  • Options
    Cider training LM - marvellous. Certainly beats marathon training.
  • Options

Me neither Daymion....  it's all a bit show to make it look tougher than it is I reckon.

TRex...lol at Radcliffe thingy

LM: good luck with the training image

Back to work for me tonight....humpf...

• Options
    I'd watch out LM that somerset cider might actually be something a bottle littered around the roads after a long race............
  • Options

Does apple or pear cider count towards your "Five a day" fruit & veg target?

• Options

hmm, i can't wait to taste it - it's like waiting for a race, nerves a jangling, tension. Well I've had my daily two apples already - so three bottles of cider should see me through the day!

• Options
    I hadn't drank Cider for years, but found this year its a great drink after a long and HOT run! I have a recovery drink for every occasion image
  • Options
    likewise, never touched the stuff for years..then being a sucker for ads i ended up having it with ice..well it was good enough for withnail so its good enough for me
  • Options

Hello again CD- just hopped over from Clowne thread.

Get well all sickies-I suspect it is only a matter of time for me too, tis rampant around here.

FF---- helllllllooooooooooo again, it just wasnt the same without youimage

Not had cider for years either but blimey-could just fancy a pint of good scrumpy now. Went to a pub in Devon once that refused to give tourists more than half a pint at a time. I couldnt understand the fuss...until I tried to stand up (and I could hold my beer in those days!)

And as for Paula, I didn't see her roughing it in the layby at Llanberis waiting for a shuttle bus and getting a thorough North Wales hammering on Bwlch Y Groes. I managed to run all the way to the top but was blown off my feet at the top for my efforts.

Good luck LM, sounds a challenging event!

Brer

• Options

LM - good luck!

TRex - nice one with the PR thing!image

Think I've put on some weight in the last week - the scales say not, but feel heavier!!image On the good news front, went for a 6m easy run tonight and felt far fresher!! Had to actually force myself to slow down at a couple of points. So going to bite the bullet ( and put my recovery back to square one!! lol) and enter the Rhobell fawr (734m) fell race on saturday - only 6m, but apparently grassy (slippery), boggy and wet - sounds great actually!! Only 6m long with 1900' ascent and easy nav ( follow the wall, basically!). I'm no fell runner - only really done the Cader Idris race last year, but want to try more.

So any of you N Walian offroaders who want to meet up (again?) on Saturday, it's £4 to enter on the day, which includes a bowl of hot soup - bargain!! Details here: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/viewevent.asp?sp=&v=2&EN=46832

Amazon just delivered  " Feet in the Clouds"  by Richard Asquith today too, so feeling inadequate, but inspired to take on the hills now! - Anyone read this?  Fantastic book- exciting and well written too!image