Options

Snowdonia Marathon 2010

Comments

• Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Just about managed to stand upright ling enough in Llanberis to get my no...hope the wind dies down/changes direction before the morning!

Sorry to hear you can't run Frodo image
  • Options

Sorry you can't run Frodo.

Very windy in Llanberis!!! Got number will see you all in the morning!!image

• Options
    Thanks people - wine is soothing the pain: will keep supping to ensure I don't have an epiphany at 6am and decide I can run after all!

Good luck all image
  • Options

Bad news Frodo - next year.

Can I just say WINDY - had to avoid blown down branches on the road on the way to pick up my number.

Got my support team briefed on times and places to bring supplies - like a military campaign this.

Says in the program that the presentations are at 3pm - I might just be getting back then. 

• Options

If my leg dosn't hold out will be with you Mr Ben!image

• Options

Frodo - image.   Hope you get sorted quickly!

Nice early start for me in the morning - leaving home at 5.30 am image - but prefer this to staying in someone else's bed (so to speak!!).   Won't be able to make the pub at night, but will be looking forward to reading all reports on here after the event.

Good luck everyone - last bowl of pasta forced down tonight - can't face any more carbo loading!!!  Hope everything comes right for us on the day!

Only 7 more posts to get this thread up to 5500 posts .... that's got to be a record!!!

• Options

Frodo - so sorry to hear your news but it's a hell of a long way to hop so you are better off waiting for next year and not injuring yourself further. Good idea to hit the bottle tonight, words are of little consolation.

Picked my number at lunch-time. At first I took someone else's number as there are two of us with my name. Fortunately I realised when they tried to give me an XL t shirt whereas I'm only medium.

Weather is looking superb. The odd shower will cool us down  because it could be warm!

Good luck tomorrow everyone - watch out for the black footprint (on a yellow vest) and introduce yourself.

PS the start is two thirds of a mile from the registration building.

• Options

Will be looking out for that foot print!!! image

Just forced down my last bowl of pasta as well, picked my number up this afternoon back home now writing down peoples numbers and getting my kit togetherimage

• Options

Well kit is packed, gels are in belt been going over my training logs, running through T-rexs pacing schedule one last look at the weather me thinks then thats it. All that remains is 4hours or so of running round that mountain with the rest of you.......cant waitimage See you all at the start, if nothing else its been a blast chating to you all on here and sharing in all your running adventures all the highsimage .....and all the lowsimageI look forward to doing it all again for next years race. For the last time Before Snod 2010 Good running people and God bless us all tomorrow!!!image

• Options
    Frodo - Gutted for you.
    Strag - Weather looking superb?? Well, it will be compared to what it's been last couple of days or so, can't get much worse!!
    Nearly time for bed for me, been for my number, just having a flapjack and coffee, feeling quite sick of these carbs now, don't think I will need too much for breakfast. See you tomorrow!!

SS
  • Options
    As requested by T-Rex - 2011 thread started image
  • Options
    Just finishing my porridge, with honey an banana whilst watching the highlights of the 2008 race. Wind seems to have died down.
  • Options
    Good luck to all. Wind has died down.
    Managed to stash some gels on the route last night hope I can find them today!
    (Fell running thing)
    1784 for me I'll be in an Eryri Harriers vest
  • Options

Home now and enjoying a curry and a pint watching Gillette soccer Saturday (wife & kids still out and about) - bath water on!

Nice to see stone_monkey before the start and to run with him (again) at Beddegelert - grateful for the gee up going up Waunfawr - my legs had well and truely gone! Sub 3hr for both of us next year with an injury free year and a decent bit of training!?

Nice to meet Dave Owen - congrats on the PB (given my size it easier for me to run up the Llanberis Pass!?)

Ran with Boxer1 for a couple of miles early on as I took it easy at the start - hope you and AN went sub 3h15m - you were running well

Nice to meet and chat to carrot top in the registration area after the finish.

Really chuffed with sub 3h5m (forgot to stop the watch at the end as I was cramping up big time!). Well done to the organisers for changing the course, although I'm not sure what was happening with the baggage drop off this year!

Sorry I couldn't stay, to meet more forumites, for a pint (or two!?) in the pub - shift change at our house when my wife & kids come back (wife out this evening)

• Options

Congratulations, John image

Hope everyone else is ok/pleased too - been moping a bit here, wish things had turned out differently for me, but worse things happen in the world image

• Options

Fantastic day, really enjoyed it and managed to beat my target time of 3:30 easily!

3:23 for me and chuffed to bits.

Met JB at the start and watched as he dissapeared into the distance! Well done John excellent time.

A chill out for a while then off to the pub!!!

• Options

Well done JB for getting the first report on - one of the benefits of being a quick runner (3hr 5min ? You're not human !).

Blimey, that Waun Fawr is some hill ! (JB did you run the whole way up it ????). I think, in a way, it's like having kids, everyone says that they'll change your life, & you go "yeah, I know" and then it hits you like a brick wall. Well I think that hill's the same. Everyone says it's a big hill, and you see the profile on the web, and you think "I'll have to allow extra time to run that slowly" but when you turn the corner and see what it's really like you think "What, I'm meant to run up that ???!", which of course I didn't !

Think I did 3hr 46min (failed to stop my watch, but that's what the official clock was showing), which is close enough to my target time of 3hr 45min for me to be well pleased.

Knee held up to the test - it started hurting at 15mile, but I tried the Lance Armstrong trick of thinking "pain is only temporary ..." and ignored it, and it went away at about 18 mile !!!

Glad I missed that huge hailstorm which came in at the end. Can't have been pleasant to run in.

Sorry I didn't manage to meet up with you all, it's a bit choatic at the start to try to find people isn't it. I think the only real answer is to meet up beforehand/after, as some of you have done.

Finally, what fantastic support on the way round. Must be one of the best races around for that; and you could have OD'd on the amount of jelly babies that were offered by the local kids. Well done to the organisers as well.

• Options

lol HL - benefit of living less than 1/2hr away! Glad you are pleased with that time - not the easiest of conditions today

as - nice to meet you - hope to meet up for a run around Cdair Idris sometime? Again, glad you are pleased with your time

Thanks Frodo. Snowdonia (today) was not the best place to do a marathon if you had doubts/not 100%.

Had a bath and my wife wants me to walk down to town for an Indian image 

• Options

That Hail was fun!!!image

Had a fantastic day met up with T-rex, Panad, and Dyniom (spelt that wrong) said Hi to NQ2 as she flow off into the hills!

The four of us ran together for a while up until mile 13 where my leg started to twinch I new I wouldn't be able to hold that pace without hurting my leg again so  I eased of and whatched T-rex run off up out of bethgelet, panad passed me next then Dyniom on mile 20 (nearly caught up to you on the top of waunfawer) then the Hail came and it was a mad scramble to the finnish!!

Didn't get my sub4 finnished in 4:20:49 well happy with that for a first marathon, loved it will be back next year!!!image 

Thanks T-rex thanks for getting me through the first half of the race, sorry I couldn't hang about my long suffering wife and I where frozen to the bone by the time we got to the car.

You guys were great!!!image

Hope everyone else makes it back safe.

• Options

3:35:15 for me. Over seconds seconds quicker for me than my struggle in 2007 so I'm well chuffed. More than taht, I'm b****y elated.

Didn't meet uop with any forumites but I hope you all enjoyed the experience. That last downhill section was the toughest for me - steep, wet and often muddy. Calf's were pinging on the final run in on the High Street.

The beer in the pub after tasted particularly good

• Options
    panadpanad ✭✭✭
    Completely echo what TR38 said image was great running that first bit together,found it hard going from 15-22,think it was just the quietness on the course at that point as by time I got to waunfawr although I was hurting by then my mood picked up loads. The downhill into back into Llanberis was a bit slower this year I think as it was a lot more slippy! The worst bit for me though was hitting the flat again on the high street-both calves cramped up big time and those last few hundred yards hurt,hurt,hurt! 4:08: something for me, almost 25mins off last year image

Home,warm&dry again now,legs not too bad as long as I keep moving!
  • Options
    Greg CGreg C ✭✭✭

Great results everyone - hope you all enjoyed it!

SRM - My calfs were going on that final run in too!

I managed 3:46:03 so very pleased  - 28 mins faster than last year. Lost a few mins at 24 with hamstring cramp image. Enjoyed the downhill at the end again, really hammered that image. Started too fast and then went too hard downhill into Nantgwynant, seriously worried at Beddgelert but managed to keep going. That was some downpour as I headed back to the car!

Enjoy that "recovery" drink everyone image

• Options

All this talk of pingy calves is making me realise I made the right decision! image

Well done, people image

• Options
    Well done to all!!

Sadly I decided mid week to be a DNS; Trying to shrug off a chest infection. I can mill around ok in training but my chest rattles as soon as I stop so I was concerned what may happen if the weather was like my last 3 outings at Snowdon Marathon!!

Can I ask what you all thought of the course change? Did it make it better / faster / more interesting?

• Options

Now realise that I did see a couple of you today

SRM - I was quite close to you at one point late on (can't remember exactly where) as I saw the black foot on the back of your shirt (shows how much time I lost on that hill !! ). Well done on your time BTW.image

Greg - you zipped past me in the run-in. Pity we didn't run together - although it sounds like you got down that last hill a lot faster than I did image

• Options
    Evening all,
    4:55 for me, I am well chuffed, mainly because I ran the whole way,even up from Waunfawr, although slow, but I flew down the river that was the path down to mile 25 and followed that all the way to the finish, really felt strong at the finish, surprisingly.
    Report to follow as I am off to join the clan at the Pad.
    SS
  • Options
    Hi everyone,

Firstly, may I say a big thanks to the volunteers, they did a great job making sure everything ran smoothly. A special thanks also to those handing out drinks and energy bars.

I managed 3hrs 53mins, having never done Snod before I was aiming for a sub 4, so I am well happy with my time.

I shall miss all the banter and advice I have gleamed from the thread over recent weeks, its a pity it's over. BBT hopefully I may see you in Brecon for the ultra in December, if don't good look.

Take care everyone.
  • Options
    Well done everyone, what an amazing marathon image words cannot describe how I felt seeing that finish line.. Finished in 3:44.58

I didn't manage to meet anyone from the thread which was a shame, I was looking out for some of you I thought I could identify lol

Well goodluck with all your future running guys image
  • Options
    4.01  well made up had 20 mile in the bag in 3.01 so the last 6 wacked me image well done to everyone who took part and that has to be one of the hardest marathons around !!