Options

Amsterdam Mary & Half 17th Oct 2010

Comments

• Options

Shazza

masterplan - not sure, aim is to get round in under 3.15 and as close to 3 as poss - hence my interest in mileage required for the latter.

I tend to do my own thing but for last 6 months have been using plans which a friend devises for me, he is a physio and has to done too many marathons to mention.  He laughed at my training for FLM 09 but afterwards he said he could get me round in under 3.10 so I took up the offer.  Training is a typical mix of LSR, tempo, intervals, fartleks, I also do some rowing and core work. 

Race wise have been concentrating halfs and 10 miles and now will be doing 10k's upto start July to get my pace up, then will look to build up mileage but not sure to what level, I think that will depend on my 10k times and whether sub 3.15 is realistic.

It seems to be working as have improved pbs on each race entered for last 6 month, hopefully that will continue.image

Good luck with Cape Wrath, are you mad??

• Options
    RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

I was averaging initially 50 mpw the first couple of weeks but then 55-60 (nearer to 60) for the bulk of London training this year. The only thing I'll add for Amsterdam mileage wise would be a few extra easier runs. I want to average 60 and go up to 70/75 at the peak with more emphasis on quality in sessions  per week i.e quality speed session, MP run (approx 10 miles) and a LSR. Around those will be easier runs and some fartlek etc.

The key for me is work on speed over the next few months to add that to the endurance gained through training for London. I've never really paid enough attention to the quick stuff and I think if I can work on it steadily it could have a profound effect. I bascially need to find 32 seconds for sub 3 but to be honest I think I "can" go well under with the right training and a few tweaks here and there. I;ve never run two marathons in one year before so all new territory.

• Options
    Ultra ShazUltra Shaz ✭✭✭

Murph

Yep image I'm mad! Least thats what the doc says...

Anyway, first things first, I got a 5k tonight so will see how slow I am after a few weeks no speed work. Not looking forward!

Training plans wise looks like everyones doing the pretty much the same kind of thing and it just comes down to what works for you in terms of how much time and effort you want to put in and what mileage/intensity you can manage.

Think JAPs got it sussed tho with having regular cutback weeks, and making sure yo're doing the right bits at the right speed.

Personally I really rate P&D, it got me to 3:08 in Berlin in 2008, only problem I find it doesn't work so well around club training and races so I either end up missing important sessions off the schedule or just doing too much.

Anyway sounds like youre friends plans doing you good. Out of interest what is your new 10k PB?

RS - think your 32 secs gonna be a lot more straightforward than my 8mins!

• Options
    Shazza, hope the 5k wasn't too painful, I really hate the short runs so you have my sympathy,10k pb is 39:25
  • Options
    Ultra ShazUltra Shaz ✭✭✭

That's 3mins quicker than mine! So you should do 3hrs no probs, or I should be a bit quicker over 10k image

5k wasn't too bad - turned out to be more like 4.5k so I'm half tempted to go for a parkrun in the morning just to see how I do... or I might just roll over and go back to sleep, we'll see...

• Options
    Just going to do a 5k and a core session in the gym to follow. By the way put me down for a sub 4:15, cheers.
  • Options
    Just done a 3 miler with hangover  - image - better now.
  • Options

Thanks for the feedback JAP - I'm good at pacing myself for halves and 10Ks but have found in most of my maras I'm going off too quick and find it hard to get myself to slow down!

Attempted my usual intervals session this morning, oh dear! A few weeks off with London (no speedwork the week before, nearly two weeks since) and my legs have forgot how to go fast image Going to try and get a few more decent speed/hill session in between now and Edinburgh as I've missed them in a sick sadistic kinda way. And this morning's session has proved that my legs have missed them too.

• Options
    Ultra ShazUltra Shaz ✭✭✭
    Carrot - take it easy in Edinburgh then, i dont know if you've done it before but the first couple of miles are one big long downhill if I remember right - so you end up going too quick whether you want to or not - works fine as long as you remember to calm down once it evens out! (I didn't!)

My legs are begging me for a run at the moment and my heads telling me to get off internet and get on with essay I'm meant to be writing.. Humph!!!

Digger - is that part of training for Oct 17th? image

• Options
    parkrunfanparkrunfan ✭✭✭

Full:

• Tiggers Bouncing
    • The Hoose-Goer
    • Higs
    • Marathong
    • Hornet Girl (tbc)
    • parkrunfan                   (Sub 3:00)
    • Neil Mac
    • David Ennis                  (Sub 4:15)
    • Little Nemo                   (Sub 5:00)
    • Digger                            (Sub 4:00)
    • H.                                    (Sub 3:45)
    • 'Sh@zza                         (Sub 3:00)
    • R Salter    
    • Murph1                           (Sub 3:15)
    • Lorry Dodger                 (Sub 3:00)
    • Rockhopper Penguin        (Sub 3:30)
    • kazzy96                           (Sub 4:13)
    • kazzy96's OH                 (??????)
    • JAP                                  (Sub 2:30)

Half:

• Mr Tiggers
    • Mr Hornet Girl (tbc)
    • Curly45                    (Sub 1:40)

7.5K:

Supporters:

• Options
    HigsHigs ✭✭✭

Knock me off the list, folks, I'm out. I'm a million miles from where I'd need to be to run an October marathon that I'd be happy with.

I've just got back from my long, slow one and had a shocker. Something's definitely not right with my running/fitness at the moment. I know training and progress aren't linear but I just don't seem to be able to get any faster or go any further at the moment and it's been like this for about two months.

Going for a shower and a (short) sulk.

• Options
    Sorry to hear that Higs, hope you get back to good training soon.
  • Options

Mr H image 

Haven't done much this weekend, but I have a half on sunday so I guess it's an unofficial taper.  Will attempt a 10k or so tonight.. 

• Options
    Ultra ShazUltra Shaz ✭✭✭

Haven't done anything since thursday image 

So now I need to get un-tapered for half on Monday,

Steady something or other tonight then hilly 15 tomorrow...

• Options

I only ran once last week! image

But work was really busy and I had to go away for family stuff so something had to give. Managed 3 miles this afternoon so feeling a bit better. Also despite being fed almost every 30 mins. while I was away I haven't put on any weight - hooray!

Good luck for your halves, H and Sh@zza image

PS: Higs, have you thought about doing the half in Amsterdam instead?

Just editing out some rogue characters!

ARGH!

• Options

Full:

• Tiggers Bouncing
    • The Hoose-Goer
    • Higs
    • Marathong
    • Hornet Girl (tbc)
    • Neil Mac
    • R Salter    
    • Carrot                                (Sub 3:30)

Half:

• Mr Tiggers
    • Mr Hornet Girl (tbc)

7.5K:

Added myself on too image Gonna be booking accomodation soon, debating whether to book a flight or get the ferry? Live in the north east so there's a direct route to the Dam from the ferry port that's closer than the airport... prices around the same, overnight ferry vs 50 minute flight, not affected by ash chaos vs mass panic if that volcano keeps erupting.... hmmm image

Higs sorry to hear your training isn't going well. I was like that a few years back, kept pushing it too much and not resting enough - I was basically overtraining, could this be the problem? Try not to beat yourself up about it too much, it's meant to be a hobby.

• Options
    HigsHigs ✭✭✭

Full:

• Tiggers Bouncing
    • The Hoose-Goer
    • Marathong
    • Hornet Girl (tbc)
    • Neil Mac
    • R Salter    

Half:

• Mr Tiggers
    • Mr Hornet Girl (tbc)

7.5K:

• Options
    HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    Little Nemo - non-running runner wrote (see)

Higs, have you thought about doing the half in Amsterdam instead?

It's a possibility but only if we could combine it with a visit to (Dutch) Mrs Higs' family. I've done the Amsterdam Half before but that was in the time before children.

• Options
    HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    carrot wrote (see)

Higs sorry to hear your training isn't going well. I was like that a few years back, kept pushing it too much and not resting enough - I was basically overtraining, could this be the problem?

Try not to beat yourself up about it too much, it's meant to be a hobby.

I doubt it's overtraining. I'm getting three rest days a week, eating well and sleeping well.

I'm certainly not beating myself up about it. I had the shortest of possible sulks and then carried on. Been out for a nice run tonight where I'm working (not far from Stockholm) - found some new trails and the sun was out. It still felt more laboured than it should though. It's an unpredictable game  - I'll probably bump along for a few weeks then go out for a gentle plod and find myself running like a cheetah.

• Options
    I still have high hopes for you my friend.  I was also going to say you should come over anyway since you'll probably be here to visit the in laws around that time anyway.  They'll love looking after the kids!!
  • Options
    Just been for a run this morning (it's a bank holiday here), not only did I spot a man who appeared to be dressed in top of the range running gear coupled with indian head-dress running barefoot (ouch!), I also saw a tibetan monk and a man with a pram full of chihuahuas. Gotta love this city! The binmen are on strike however so there's mountains of rubbish everywhere. Lets hope they clean up before Oct!!
  • Options
    H. Do you live in Slough? image
  • Options

Sounds like an interesting run H, did you not see anyone in full rhino kit?

Good luck to both you and Shazza in the halfsimage make sure you don't get injured Shazza.

Am now feeling back to normal after several days in pain, was self induced as played my first game of football for over 2 years at the weekend - I ached in places I didn't think I had muscles.  Some core stuff today and a 10 miler at the weekend and I'll be back on track.  Who knows the sun might even shine??

I have confirmed with the organisers that you can pick up numbers on the morning of the race so no need to take you up on your kind offer H. 

Sorry about your running Higs, hopefully you will be back on form soon - there must be some great runs around Stockholm to keep you going.  Am off to Oslo next week - never been some hoping for some interesting runs.

• Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Excellent news on the numbers Murph!!!

• Options
    HigsHigs ✭✭✭

I was running the Rotterdam marathon years ago and heard this 'clomp, clomp, clomp' behind me shortly before I was overtaken by a guy running in wooden clogs.

A few Oslo runs to choose from here:

http://www.mapmyrun.com/search?txtLocation=Oslo,+Norway&txtKeyword=&lstSortBy=cs.rating_weighted+desc&lstDistanceMin=&lstDistanceMax=&lstRatingMin=&lstRatingMax=&lstRouteTypeID=1&btnSearch=SEARCH+>

• Options
    RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

When does this fill up? I'm 95% certain but just checking a couple of things

• Options
    RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

EDIT: Got my dates wrong can defo run and have just entered image So added final important predicted "goal" below, lol Excited already even though I've just done London.

Full:

• Tiggers Bouncing
    • The Hoose-Goer
    • Higs
    • Marathong
    • Hornet Girl (tbc)
    • Neil Mac
    • R Salter                          (Sub 3:00)
  • Options
    HigsHigs ✭✭✭

Full:
    Tiggers Bouncing
    The Hoose-Goer

Marathong
    Hornet Girl (tbc)
    parkrunfan (Sub 3:00)
    Neil Mac
    David Ennis (Sub 4:15)
    Little Nemo (Sub 5:00)
    Digger (Sub 4:00)
    H. (Sub 3:45)
    'Sh@zza (Sub 3:00)
    R Salter (Sub 3:00)
    Murph1 (Sub 3:15)
    Lorry Dodger (Sub 3:00)
    Rockhopper Penguin (Sub 3:30)
    kazzy96 (Sub 4:13)
    kazzy96's OH (??????)
    JAP (Sub 2:30)
    Carrot (Sub 3:30)
  • Options

Top man Higs, many thanks.

Welcome RS, am sure the pancake gradient and less congestion will ensure you take off that 30 seconds you need.

Congrats on your promotion, I missed the derby games this year image.  Whereabouts are you from?

• Options
    Ultra ShazUltra Shaz ✭✭✭

Right, off to the Cape tonight for a race or few next week, image

Hope u all have a good week's training,

Good luck H on Sunday, and Carrot in Edinburgh and anyone else racing

I'll start the injury thread when I get back...