Options

Amsterdam Mary & Half 17th Oct 2010

Comments

• Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    Well I'm 10k training at the moment so lots of speedwork but maintaining my long runs at about 16 miles and doing a 20+ once every 4 weekends...I'll look at writing a half specific plan after the summer when I can start to think about target times image
  • Options

Hi Digger. I like the look of the Hal Higdon one as the weekday runs aren't too long and there's no speed work involved. Running Saturday and Sunday is a bit of a challenge though! I only managed about 6-7 weeks of it before I was ill so not sure how I'll get on when the mileage really picks up.

The only other plan I've tried is a Bob Glover one. I had to amend it a bit as I was only running 4 times a week then but it worked out OK.

My base is pretty rubbish at the moment so my Sunday long run will be a massive 6 miles!!! image

Happy weekend running everyone image

• Options
    Nemo, I'm with you there - I struggle to do more than 5-6 miles on a weekday night. I think you have to do some speedwork though (using the term loosely)  as I'm sure it improves your times.    
  • Options
    This week I've managed 13 miles over 3 runs. I'll be aiming to get up to 4 runs next week and a few more miles.

Tucking into chocolate milk while watching VLM at the moment!

174 days to go image
  • Options
    After a bet in the pub last night... just completed a 10 mile race. Considering the lack of preparation (and the ingestion of a few wines)am v happy with a 1.24. Couldn't have gone faster, but could have carried on. Feel fully justified in wine and crisps now...
  • Options

Great time, H - congratulations!

I've now moved onto minestrone soup and snooker, should really be doing some housework image

• Options
    RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

Seriously considering Amsterdam. Ran London yesterday, didn't quite get what I wanted but think I fancy the autumn challenge.

I'm presuming the course is flat and fast, I like the idea of it being in October too, less chance of it being warm. April always seems dodgy to me.

• Options

Mind if I join?

I had to pull out of London with injury probs so entered this one instead.

I'm hoping to complete the Cape Wrath challenge including marathon in a couple of weeks then if I'm still in one piece I'll get to work on Amsterdam.

Reading back a bit.. training-wise I've been using Pfitsinger & Douglas 50miles+ schedule up til now but that may have something to do with being injured - its proper old-school high mileage, no pain no gain kinda stuff!

So looking into alternatives for the 'dam - any thoughts/recommends for a 3hr plan? (being a bit optimistic but worth a crack!)

• Options
    Hey welcome both, this is great. Should be a whole bunch of us at AMS this year image You're right RS, AMS is super flat (although there is an incline at about 38k which feels like Everest)! Still, it's a pb course. Sorry you didn't get what you wanted at London, but remember 99% of the population can't (or rather don't) do what we do. Whether that just makes us crackers or fit I don't know. Either way you can still be very proud!

Cape Wrath S, sounds amazing. I usually work off the Hal Higdon schedules which are probably way too tame for you. That said I use it as a base or reference point then modify.

Little Nemo - It was a BIG packet of M&M's today. I just can't stop!! Still a bit stiff from yesterday so needed the boost. That's my excuse image
  • Options

I reckon the list is now looking something like this so far: 

Full:

• Tiggers Bouncing
    • The Hoose-Goer
    • Higs
    • Marathong
    • Hornet Girl (tbc)
    • parkrunfan
    • Neil Mac
    • David Ennis
    • Little Nemo
    • Digger
    • H.
    • 'Sh@zza
    • R Salter

Half:

• Mr Tiggers
    • Mr Hornet Girl (tbc)
    • Curly45

7.5K:

Supporters:

Apologies if that misses anyone.

We were also talking to JAP (who normally posts on the Sub 3:00 thread) yesterday after London and he's planning on doing this one as well. So thats a sub 2:40 runner amongst our contingent...

• Options

2.40....respect!

Was thinking of really pushing it for a sub 4.00 

• Options
    Has anyone mentioned the communal unisex showers at then end ?image
  • Options

I'm aiming for 5 hours, I can be the thread sweeper! image

Running home tonight but I'll be taking a few shortcuts so it should only be around 4.5 miles. I'll be treating myself to weird chocolate with pink peppercorns in it. Probably sounds horrible but it tastes divine...

• Options
    Communal mixed showers?!? That's too European for me image
  • Options

sadly I am out of this one. Been quite poorly and training dropped to almost nebie levelimageimage

Anyway, hope you all enjoy and training is going well.

Stu

• Options

Well thinking about this (not the showers, the race,lol)

Did it in 2008 and enjoyed the run. Plus the booze up after was good fun too.

Must remember not to stay in that Christian Youth Hostel again though image

• Options

Can I join?

Have signed up for the marathon - will be my second one after FLM 2009,  just hope its less busy.

Have asked these questions earlier in thread but had no responses - not a nice way to treat a newbieimage

When do you have to pick up your running number, what time is the expo open till on the Saturday evening or is it possible to pick it up early on Sunday morning?

Also my 7 yr old is keen to do the 1 mile run, do you need to enter before the day or do they accept entries on the day?

• Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Oppps never thought about collecting numbers - ah well can someone else collect them for you with a letter?

Also do you need the medical cert that you need for some European marathons?

Sorry no one answered Murph - maybe they didnt know?  

• Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    Hoose - can you not switch the to half? Worth an ask maybe?
  • Options
    Hoose - take it easy and get well soon. You'll be surprised how quickly you recover and there's still plenty of time. Otherwise good idea from Curly on the 1/2.

Hey Murph - The expo is normally open friday and saturday from early until about 8pm. I think you can get your number on the sunday morning too. I'm pretty sure with a confirmation email you can also pick up other peoples numbers so if anyone's struggling I can pick up for you.

Hey Pete - I remember the booze up image but the communal showers escaped me. Nothing would surprise me over here though. Even worse after Berlin everyone was just rubbing themselves down in the street. I won't go into detail but it left little to the imagination... and I couldn't partake in the foot long hot dogs for quite some time after!
  • Options
    Oh and anyone interested in a pasta dinner the night before, and meeting for a booze up after?
  • Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Yeah defo on the booze up! Us halfers can get the beers in I guess image

Just checked our flights and we arrive at 6:25 pm - where abouts is the expo? Might be able to hot foot it from Schipol to there before 8... I remember the traffic being terrible at the airport last time mind. If its open on Sunday I dont mind going early anyway tbh.

• Options
    The expo is right by the Olympic Stadium South of the city. Quite quick by taxi (they're expensive though!), not so simple by public transport from the airport. Better to train to centraal station then get tram 16 or 24 from there... Probably too tight on time Curly and you don't want to rush. Sunday should be ok. We can check nearer the time. Otherwise I can pick up numbers on sat image
  • Options
    mmm -1/2 is poss but I thought that of mara some time ago. Does sound a really great event.
  • Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Thanks H - fab offer! Not going to worry too much - you know what Easy are like for flight changing too image

Go on Hoose - I've had 2 bad mara experiences so I need a nice half to set me up - you could use it as stepping stone to a lovely spring mara 2011!

• Options
    would be nice Curly but my training is very iffy having COPD. I can run well one day and barely do 10 minutes on another day. I will see if the gods stay with me and allow a decent build up. Sorry about your 2 bad maras but glad you are still positive.
  • Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Thats alright Hoose - one bad day at the office and one DNF due to a pacing error - no disasters and I have learned a lot from them...may or may not do a spring mara next year but am trying to crack the half first image

I dont think this one fills up too early so you can have a go and see how you get on!

• Options

that is my plan curly -it is so unpredictable. Good idea to get a good 1/2 and a spring mara after.

take careimage

• Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    Good luck with your Coast section! image
  • Options
    thanksimage Will need sectioning quite soon I thinkimage