Options

Norwich Half Marathon 2010

Comments

• Options

Yes hopefully!

I feel like I need the rest so I won't be doing anything too strenuous for the first couple of weeks! I'm itching to get back to it though! I loved the buzz of race day, I can see how people can get addicted!!

• Options
    I've just entered! (gulp) what have I done? The furthest I've ran so far is 8 miles, better up the training......
  • Options

I'm in, signed up the other week. Will be my first HM so looking forward to it.

Good luck to all.........

• Options
    Misfit_of_ska - I'm with you, banning headphones is ridiculous but alas the rules, I'm still in image
  • Options
    Race packs are on their way according to Facebook
  • Options
    Got my number!
  • Options
    i am in image just entered today woop
  • Options
    Will you be wearing a tutu Boldy?
  • Options

Hi everyone...I've been off this thread for a while but just got my act together and entered so all set!

How's everyone's training going? I've been in Northumberland for a couple of weeks holiday - got quite a lot of running in and boy was it hillyimage. Glad to be back on the flats of Suffolk! I did a long run of 13.5 miles on Sunday and it felt very easy without any hills to speak of!

Abs11 - I would second the comment about the course being a lot easier than Bungay...especially the second time around as I did the full at Bungay. You should see the difference between my photos at 11 miles and 24 miles LOL image. The drag now in the Norwich half is not steep, just feels like it is going on a bit. Nothing like the old hill though.

• Options
    Well I've got my number so I'm committed now.  Made a comeback to running by joining Norwich road Runners in July, after a five and half year break due to serious injury.  I have done a few 5k parkruns, and a couple of 10ks, so just need to up the mileage a bit now!  Good to hear that there is no longer that hill back into the showground.  Also when I used to run this (last time back in 2004) it was in the summer so heat exhaustion was a big problem - I don't think that will be an issue this time!
  • Options
    Welcome back Freemers image. I went to Northumberland last year. Loved it. Loads of hills to run up! Kielder marathon? I'm sort of resting after Abingdon marathon last weekend (only sort of resting). I'll give it until the weekend then get back into it properly.

Hi Robin. No problem with the heat now!
  • Options
    I did have a place for the Kielder marathon Mr Spoons, but had a few niggling injuries earlier in the summer so cut back on running for a bit. I am glad I didn't do it, as apparently it was really tough!
  • Options
    The course is the path around the reservoir which just happens go be 26.2 miles. I ran and cycled bits of it and yes, there were some hilly bits, as well as loads of mosquitos.
  • Options

Hi all......can I ask some advice?

I am currently following the RW Basic 16wk "get you round" marathon training schedule which shows at the end of week 8 either a 2 hr jog or a half marathon race which coincides with this race but I am a bit wary as I have only done 3miles jogging so far plus the weekend "rambles".

Should I really up the mileage that much? Don't want to eanter and feel deflated if I can't make it round!

Any ideas/advice would be gratefully received!

• Options
    Well, I've entered anyway...as its 2 laps I can always pull out if necessary after the first lap!
  • Options
    Hi Bernadette,

What marathon are you training for? At 8 weeks from a marathon you should be aiming to be able to do a half. My advice would be to do it, as slow as necessary. you can always do a 8 minute jog / 2 minute walk plan or similar to get you round. It will give you a huge boost to your marathon training.
  • Options

Nice to see some old names from last year !!!    Unfort my tendon injury from The GNR is still preventing me from training so going to miss out on chance to PB my first Norwich half from last year.  Was a shame as PB at GNR was setting me up to get close to 2 hr mark but HeyHo such is life ...

Hope all training is going well ....  cross trainers and stationary bikes just don't compare !

• Options

Hi all,

Just joined runners world! First post! 

Just entered the Norwich HM, done it last year for the first time and said I would never run a half marathon again after doing it in 1h 54m but this never happened, think I got the running bug! Done the GNR in Septemebr and got 1h 44m and was over the moon (even with all the traffic at the start). 

So really looking foward to doing the Norwich half again hopefully will be alot easier than last year. Aiming to break the 1h 40m barrier, running 12.1 mile route in training and its looking close to the 1h 40m mark.

Also doing the Southwold 10k race the Sunday before the Norwich half, anyone ever done this one before?!

• Options
    Hi Dan and welcome image

I've never done Southwold personally. It sounds like sub 1:40 should be nicely achievable. Word of warning though, don't knacker yourself out too much in the 10km and ruin your HM goal.
  • Options

Welcome Dan - sounds like you're on for a big improvement from last year - I'm looking for sub 1.40 as well so hope we both dip under! I've never done Southwold either - sounds like a nice idea the week before so long as you are sensibleimage

Last week for me was about quality - I could only get out a couple of times mid week, so did one interval session - first one in ages and it felt tough! - and one fast paced 7.5 miles (56 mins). Saturday was another 7-ish miles at a similar pace. Yesterday I did a LSR of 14 miles in bang on 2 hours - nice and steady and I picked a relatively hilly course (well the hilliest one I can find near me). I'm trying to make sure I have lots left in the tank for the end of the second lap and up the  final incline.

Last year my Norwich time was 1.43.50, off fewer miles, and a longest run of 12. This year I've trained beyond the distance and got more speed work and hills in, which should make 1.40 OK. I'd really like something around 1.35 but not sure I dare go out fast enough! We'll see on the day!

Mr Spoons - I meant to ask how you got on in Abingdon?

• Options
    Last year I did 1:39 which I am hoping to beat this year so the 3 of us may be running together!

I haven't done any training yet. Am I leaving it too late? After 3 weeks of mara taper and 2 weeks recovery followed by 1 week being ill that's 6 weeks off, albeit with a marathon in the middle.

I did 3:47 at Abingdon. I'm happy with it although I did slow down loads in the last 6 miles. I have a place at London and I'm hoping for sub 3:40.....
  • Options

Hey Mr Spoons,

See you are a bit of a regular on these forums. Interesting to see your times and then how you got on in a marathon....3:47 is very impressive!! I have a place for London marathon next year but having never done one before have no idea what sort of time i'll do, I'm just aiming for anything under 4 hours. I average around 1hr 40 for half marathons and my PB is actually the Norwich half set last year in 1hr 35, the removal of that big hill from the course definitely helped!!

I'm not as in good shape as I was this time last year so will be very happy with anything under 1hr 40.

Looking foward to it, just hope we are blessed with some reasonable weather. Hope everyone's training is going well and staying injury free!

• Options
    Hi Nick, very similar HM times to me so sub 4 should be very achieveable.
  • Options
    Hi eveyone, i did this 2 years ago, i am assuming that on the 2nd lapwhere we enter the showground is different now as that was what certainly finished me last time image  seems like lots of you are after good times, hope conditions are good on the day.i am hoping for under 2 hours, my pb is 1.55 at the south walsham half earlier this year so will be pleased with someyhing similar
  • Options
    I'm off to see the pyhsio on thursday as my lower leg is sore, I'm hoping its not shin splints because I will be absolutely gutted if I cant do this race image
  • Options
    It's gone very quiet on here.

Rick - how did you get on at the physio?

Not long to go now. I will do 1.5 hours slow this weekend, a few easy runs next week and a 5km at half Mara pace on Thursday. looking forward to it......

• Options

Hi Mr Spoons,

It will be my first Half so looking forward to it. I've done all the hard training now so just a 5m run tomorrow and a couple of 3 & 5m runs next week.

Got a sports massage booked to loosen me up a bit!

Lets hope the weather is good......

• Options
    Good news, the pyhsio said its not serious, just need a foam wedge under my arch!! he also gave my calf a massage which hurt like hell then zapped it with the ultrasound thingy. It does feel a lot better today so I'll do a run on Sunday  then another on wednesday.
  • Options
    great stuff - I have a massage every 6 weeks or so. It tends to keep the injuries under control.
  • Options
    J2RJ2R ✭✭✭

Best of luck to everyone for this one. Just a little word of caution - keep a little in reserve for the final mile. The course used to have a sharp little hill about half a mile from the end, which was never a lot of fun, but because of work on the golf course they changed the route last year. The sharp hill has gone, but you do get a much longer, gentler incline instead, and last year I wasn't sure it was an improvement (my hopes for a PB vanished in the last 1.5 miles), because it does drag on a bit.

Of course, because it's a two-lap route it won't come as a surprise at the end, but I still think it makes it easier if you prepare for it and allow some extra time in your calculations. At least I hope I get it right this year, as it's my first and only half marathon of the year and I'm hoping to grab that PB this time (although I still haven't fully recovered from the lurgy which derailed my Rutland Water Marathon a couple of weeks ago).