Options

Sports Personality Of The Year

123457»

Comments

• Options

( Decides to stir it all up again)

AS I posted on the last page... it all depends on what tehaward represents and why it is made. I think all accept it has nothing to do with personality.

So, is it about the sporting hero/legend that stands out over the year? Is it about being the best in your field? Is it about personifying dedication to the art? Is it about being a successful flash in the pan, or about longevity?

I think the problem is that no-one, not least the BBC knows. Where does Zara Phillips fit in to any of that?  Gioggs? Well he's a great player who has outlasted the majority of others... so on the longevity route / good role model route he qualifies. I guess the majority of those taking an interest in the thread are indicating that an award is apt, just not this one.?

( opens box, puts wooden spoon away)

• Options
    Tends to be someone doing well in a popular sport, or at least one that the Beeb has the rights to broadcast.

I think Zara was put forward as she'd won the world championship in that year but that in itself doesn't really amount to sufficient reason as we had/have many world champions in any one year in the 'lesser' sports who don't get a nomination.

People were suggesting Chrissie wellington and Alastair Brownlee but when the BBC covered the triathlon they couldn't even commentate correctly so there was little chance of either being nominated even though they are very successful in their sport.

Next year's winner will be the poor chap who missed the vital penalty in the world cup quarter/semi finals because he was 'brave' enough to take one...