Options

Baxters Loch Ness Marathon 2010

Comments

• Options
    johny fp....whatever marathon you do first will be hard......you just need to make sure you are trained properley (this is pot calling the kettle black)..image.. i have done a few marathons and i really do need to get my arse into gear for this one....fed up with running for over 5 hours everytime now....image.....will be nice to get in under 4.30 again for a change
  • Options

It's going to be my first one too. image

Just glad I have 9 months to train! I'm going to follow Hal Higdon's novice plan, I think... (with some hills, obviously)

• Options

Hey...well done to you as well Sheri 12........just get out during the week as often as you can and make sure you get them long, slow sunday runs in.....when i have trained properley i have always found that if i enter a 20 mile race every month for the 3-5 months coming up to whatever marathon i am running.... that has always helped a great deal....lets say if you do one in May...and struggle....it makes you train a little harder or just get out and do the training more.... then in June hopefully you would have improved....then July you would have improved even more.....well thats at least what i hope to try and do.

I did it several years ago...i did the Bramley 20 in January training for London ran the first 10 miles...jogged the next  5 and then jog/walked the last 5....then in February did another 20 miler an managed to run16 miles and jog/walked the last 4 and by the end of March i was able to run the Worthing 20 non-stop in just over 3 hours and do ok in London and with that training my pace also picked up as the months went by....image

Just do long slow sunday runs....image

• Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭
    I was debating on doing this as my first marathon, but I've been talked into doing the Shakespeare so training has been upped slightly. LNM will be my second as I don't really fancy one in Summer. Though if it's anything like the last few summers it might be the best way to stay warm.
    If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Options
    Chimney....Shakespeare is a lovely marathon to do, i have run it 3 times and the weather has always been glorious, sometimes a little to warm, but there are plenty of drink stations and for how much country running there is, there seems to be a fair bit of support, people having picnics on their lawns and cheering you pass, even though its a 2 lap course and you do cover a fair bit twice, it does seem like two different laps, but the long path to the finish does drag on at times, but i would love to run it again but for the last 2 years it has clashed with London.
  • Options
    Ado.Ado. ✭✭✭
    Hi all. I'm glad I found this thread. I've entered for the LNM as my first ever. I wanted something a bit different and it looks great, but I don't really know what to expect or if it's a big mistake! I've done one Half, another Half in April, but never run more than 13 miles. Great to read some of the insight here.
  • Options

hi ado

and welcome to the gangimage

• Options

Welcome Ado image

And panic not, we have over 8 months to go yet... (is that all image)

• Options
    Ado, this is my first marathon so there a few of us in the same position. I have been following the 2010 Marathon thread in the Training forum. It has experienced marathon runners contributing and they are really friendly to newcomers. When my training starts in June I intend to join in as I'm sure I will benefit from their help. 
  • Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Training? Did someone say training?

I just go out and enjoy myself. I get bored though so I mix it up, you know, see if I can sprint to the next lamp post, slow down for a bit, sprint etc. Sometimes I can't be bothered to do that so I just go for a nice slow plod to see how much scenery I can see and stay away from things like helping the wife clean, cook, whatever.

Bugger, think that equates to training doesn't it?

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Options

I've signed up for this one as well as London and Edinburgh (eek)

Anyway, I'm told this is a scenic race but hard and hilly, despite which, I'm looking fowrad to it. Managed to book into the Premier Inn without any problems.

Stay Alive!

• Options

hi nelly

im making it a scottish year for my marathons image

im doing edinburgh too (training is under way)

but looking forward to this one more

happy training

see you there

• Options
    Hi all, I am in, and booked my flights and b&b.

I figured this would be a fun choice for a 1st marathon as it's on my birthday and I can make a weekend of it in such a scenic area.

I am so nervous though as I tend to have difficulty with injuries when I start upping mileage, even though I am really careful to take it slow. Crossing fingers that the hill training will help with that and if I start training early I'll get there!
  • Options

Welcome Travali, and good luck with your training! That's fab that it will be on your birthday....

Looks like this is going to be the first marathon for quite a few of us so it will be good to share experiences and tips over the coming months.

• Options
    Im doing my first half marathon in Wilmslow on 28/03/10 and I keep looking at this as my first choice for a go at a full marathon. I have relatives who live in Aberdeen and it would be great to combine the two. If Wilmslow goes ok (my furthest run is just over 10 miles at present ) I think I will take the plunge and enter. Certainly reading all the positive comments and the encouragement for newcomers makes it sound even more like and event for me! Good luck to everyone and I hope to be joining you all !
  • Options

Travali.....welcome, it will be a great 1st marathon for you....if you are prone to injury then just train 3-4 times a week, just get out during the week and then make sure you do the long, slow jog/run on Sundays, and build on the Sunday run each week,that way your body can recover for your next training run.

JH3......Welcome to you as well....you will be fine for LN...As said above just take it slow and easy and you will not believe how you will progress....but the key is, you must get out and train...and build on the sunday run.

• Options
    Thanks Tonka, I can assure you I am training pretty well at the moment running between 20-25 miles per week (4-5) runs per week. October is a long time off yet but it will soon be here! If Wilmslow goes well and I feel ok then I am pretty sure I will come looking for the Monster!
  • Options

Thats about 20 miles more than me at the moment, well done just keep it steady and if you start to feel tired or an injury starting up again ease off and slow down further. Have not done 25 miles in a week for months now. Just book it and ye will findimage

• Options

I did this marathon last year and my advice to everyone is DO IT! image

I had a brilliant time. The run is beautiful and the atmosphere is second to none. I had a terrific time.

We stayed at a hotel on the banks of the Ness and the run went past it with about a mile to go, Glenmoriston Town House Hotel - it was perfect - very friendly, great food and they do an early breakfast for all the runners.

I can't stress to you all enough that you should do this race, but be aware it is tough.

Even the RW forum was the most supportive I've been on. One day I will return, but there are many other marathons I want to do first.

ENTER THIS RACE _ YOU WON'T REGRET IT. image

• Options

thanks for the info XE

i wasnt expecting it to be an easy run (to me all marathons are gonna be hard)

i'll finish it even if i have to crawl in image

just a small matter of getting edinburgh out the way then i'll strat my training all over again

• Options

xe - sounds fantastic. I can't wait. image

Am considering, as part of my preparation, doing the Stonehaven Half Marathon in July, which has a reputation for being "challenging" and hilly..... anyone got any thoughts?

• Options
    Thanks xe. I called my B&B yesterday to enquire about an early breakfast. The landlady told me she has a house full of runners so porridge and bananas will be served nice and early image. Sheri - the RW training plans recommend running races as part of your training. I intend to run 2 or 3 before Loch Ness.
  • Options

hi all

ive got a few races booked before as well

dont know whether its wise but im doing the run to the beat half in london the weekend before, wasnt going too but my sis said she wouldnt do it with someone else there so thought what can it hurt image cant improve by then anyway image

got my first half of the year on 28th of this month and using it as build up to edinburgh

happy training 

• Options

I'm booked into do this with a couple of friends, we are all marathon virgins.  One minute I feel excited the next I'm thinking it I can't believe you've booked in for it!

The way that I'm viewing it is that we have  7 1/2 months to train for it.  For people who have done it before is it really as hilly as some people have said?

• Options
    Hi Paulette,

I did Loch Ness in 2009 and found it a really great race. You've made a good choice and it's definitely something to look forward to. I'd recommend it to anyone.

You'll see from the profile on the website that actually the course is predominantly downhill although that is slightly deceptive as it is much more undulating than is clear on the profile. You will also see that there are 2 hills which occur at approx 18 and 20 miles. The first is pretty long and hard but once you've got over those the last 5 miles to the finish are virtually flat.

As you say you have plenty of time to prepare and as with any race provided you follow a good training schedule you shouldn't have any problems getting round and should have a really enjoyable day.
  • Options
    I'm signed up too, will have to start looking at accomodation soon though judging by this thread everywhere will be booked up!!!
  • Options
    Ado.Ado. ✭✭✭

Hi all - thanks for the welcome, and welcome others. It's my first marathon too and so it's good to hear from those who've done it already. Sounds like a good choice. Accommodation is booked, so would recommend those who haven't yet to get in quick. Paulette, good advice from goldeagle - following a good programme will make the training journey much easier, don't wait too long to get started on it. I'm doing my second Half in a few weeks so I can gradually build up the miles as the weather starts to improve.

Happy running everyoneimage

• Options

Hello everyone

I have never done a marathon as yet and dont think i will be fit enough till next year i started running in 2004 and completed gmr 10k and gnr half marathon i felt elated but never set anymore goals i managed gnr in 2.15 i gave up after that  got fat again and lost motivation anyway im back again this year gmr 10k booked  and gnr half marathon booked  my training is going well and i definately want to do lockness in 2011 so im really intrested in people who have/are running this one for instance how hard is it to step up from a half to a full marathon i know the training is harder obviously but im thinking in terms of mental stamina .thanks  

• Options

hi stephen

good on you getting back too it, i keep myself focused by keeping at least 1 race booked a month even if its only a 10k, it helps keep the weight off (theres no way i want my 9 stone back!!!)

i started running in2008 and so far im still hocked, im doing 2 full marathons this year edinburgh and this one, i have to keep shutting out the mental demons that tell me to stop, sometimes they win tho image

my furthest run so far is a half, but im doing the kilomathon in 3 weeks so i'll let you know how it was later

good luck with this years races

• Options

It's great that more people are signing up! Reading back on the thread and keeping my commitment firmly front of mind is helping keep me motivated at the moment, including stretching and strengthening the dreaded glutes and ITB where I can have trouble. Slow and steady and keeping niggles in check!

I am doing a 10 miler mid March and thinking of either Kingston breakfast run or Paddock Wood in April, to give me a usual starting point for my LNM training plan