Options

Baxters Loch Ness Marathon 2010

Comments

• Options

Wow- I came in same time as Colhun- 4:18- not my best, had to spend 10 minutes getting treatment for a blister on underside of big toe at 20miles ( those first aid guys are magic!)

Walking downstairs takes on a whole new challenge today.

Well done all!

• Options
    Finished in 3h52.59 according to my Garmin. 7 mins faster than last year and 5 mins faster than Moray 4 weeks ago. Was going well until around 18 miles. Tight calves and hips after that but still got sub-4 on 3 melted jelly babies and a couple of mouthful of water image
    Nice muddy field in the race village. Great Marshall and support.
  • Options

Well done everyone image Really enjoyed my first marathon!

I finished in 4:55:07 which I was pretty pleased with as I had been hoping for sub-5 hours (but not totally confident of getting it). Found the second half very tough though - first half in 2:20, second half in 2:35, so a massive positive split, but not too surprised what with the hills and general fatigue.

That hill out of Dores was a killer though, it didn't seem like it was ever going to end, and the one after it wasn't great either image

Very stiff and sore todayimage

My daughter did the Wee Nessie children's race (in the rain) and is very proud of her medal, in fact she is wearing it to nursery today.

• Options
    Well done everybody! I had a great race as well, although spent the last few miles trying not to chuck after an overdose of gels and Lucozade! Knocked 10 minutes off last year and came in on 3:09:27 thanks to that rain - perfect running conditions!
  • Options
    Well done everyone on finishing and PBs - my gammy foot held out and got round in 4 hrs 13 - same as you Colhun, just pleased to get round and knew the sub 4 wasnt going to happen. Delighted that you made it. Great experience.... it was like running up and down nessies back!
  • Options
    Well done Darren, glad the foot held out.

Walking like a cripple today. The joys!!
  • Options
    Saw two people in Baxters in Fochabers just now wearing their tshirts and walking in an all too familiar way.
  • Options

Well done everyone - I finished in 3h 27m i was hoping to get as close as possible to my PB of 3h 13m but a combination of a (too) fast start and those hills saw me totally blow up and hit a very dark place mentally at around 18 miles, the pain lasted for the longest 5 miles ever until i got a second wind at 23 miles and managed to finish with some dignity.

The drive back to Manchester straight afterwards didn't do my legs any good tho....

• Options

Well done everyone, that was a toughie!

Simon, we drove back to Manchester too, was not fun but still on a high so that got us through it. We did 4h26 so pleased with beating the 4 1/2 target. We were walking around like a pair of pensioners at the services!

I was so dehydrated at the end, really struggled to drink anything during the race without getting stomach cramps. I'm normally fine at shorter races but this was my first marathon. Drank about 3 litres of water on the drive home!

It's not just my legs that are sore this morning - stomach, shoulders, back - feel like i've been in a boxing ring.

Just need to remember crossing that line though and all the pain goes image

• Options
    Still think Holm roundabout onwards is the worst bit for me. That stretch seems to go on and on without end, and with the new finish, you are 50m or so away from it when you see and hear it across the river yet have over a mile to go....
  • Options

Didnt manage to finish dropped out at 15 miles - left knee gave way!image  Wa really dissapointed but maybe next year!

Well done to every one that finished and got PB's!!

• Options
    Ran the first ten in 70 minutes. Way way to fast but I could seem to pace the hills up and the steep decents. I was knackered at ten miles. I havent a clue how I got round in 3.35. Brilliant race but I ruined it for myself and it was probably my worst running experience. The London Marathon is a doddle compared to this. All the more reason to do it again. Hope the chap who collapsed at 20 it ok.
  • Options
    Yeah I saw him too he didn't look good at all but the paramedics were with him so I hope he recovered
  • Options
    I thought it was excellent, especially the start.

There were many aching legs trying to negotiate the steps of this afternoon's Bristol fight.

LNM is an endurance event. VLM is a fun run.
  • Options
    If I do it again I will plod for ten then start to run.
  • Options
    Have just arrived back in Weymouth after a 10.5 hour drive. Better than the 14.5 hours it took to get up there on Friday and Saturday though, but still worth all the effort and £180 of diesel! image
  • Options
    I thought our 495 mile drive was bad! Good effort mate.
  • Options
    Well Done Everyone! First marathon - did 4:11, so pretty pleased with that. It was very tough the last few miles - suffered severe cramp, but that is a distant memory. I only had a short 200 mile drive home, then back to work today. Walking is difficult but not as bad as expected.

My thanks to Ruth McCann from Gala Harriers for her help and support on the course. Well done on your time!

Grecian 2000: hope your leg gets better soon!
  • Options

Well Done all - great  event. Got mixed feelings about my run... feeling fine after 11 mile mark at 1 hr 45 ish then went down feeling like i'd been shot in the knee. Marshall was great but had to wait 35 mins for first aid car, got strapped up and eventually hobbled over the finish line in 5hrs 58!! One thing that struck me was that being so far back in the field you meet the people there and let me tell you thats where the real heros are. The commitment and determination was exceptional.  I was touched and inspired by almost all the people i met back there and thought they deserved a shout out as the village had cleared by the time a lot of them ran in. I'll definately be back next year to have another go at my sub 4hrs.

• Options
    koichkoich ✭✭✭
    well done to all, terrific efforts.

despite a problem-free summer of training I felt around mile 7 my left knee giving way to Iliotibial Band Syndrome that I had a few years prior. It was the downhills that made it very uncomfortable. From about half way I adopted a walk-run strategy (1/4mile walk, 3/4run each mile) and took it very easy on the downhills.

Was aiming for about 4:30 but considering around halfway I was doubtful of continuing I was pleased to eventually must a final two mile limpy-jog home in 5:30.

A massive thanks to everyone who still cheered and supported us late-finishers, was much appreciated.

It was my 3rd marathon but I already treasure this medal more, like a few of you have said, london is a stroll in the park by comparison.

I also have a new-found respect for quite how long loch ness is now!
  • Options

WELL DONE to everyone who took part - I loved every minute of it! image

That was my first marathon and I managed to finish in 4hr 2 mins - was aiming for sub 4 but what is a few minutes between hills/rain/sunshine and 26.2 miles!

Thanks for the training advice a few weeks back as doing that last LSR really paid off and helped with my nerves on that long bus journey to the start.

Think I'll try a flat one next though....any recommendations?

• Options
    Hello Everyone,  I was the unfortunate unconscious collapsee at the side of the road at mile 22, I am absolutely fine now and recovered fairly quickly after the insertion of a couple of litres of saline (intravenously) and copious water (orally).  Thanks to everyone that must have helped get the paramedics to me (and put a dent in their target time accordingly) and to the runners that shouted encouraging things as I was loaded onto the gurney and into the ambulance.  A HUGE thank you also to the wonderful  paramedics, ambulance men, nurses and doctors from Inverness - they got me back on my feet and out of the hospital within 5 hours and were absolutely brilliant.  Hope you all had better runs than I did, will have another a crack at a sub-three next year.  Cheers everyone, Adrian
  • Options
    Glad to hear that you are  safe and well - I was thinking of you when I passed the ambulance.
  • Options
    Hi Adrian, didn't realise you were doing this, sorry to hear what happened. I didn't get enough fluids down either and felt terrible towards the end. Good luck in your next one, I'll be happy with a sub 4 next time, sub 3 will have to wait till I'm dreaming!
  • Options
    Hi everyone! Well done to all who took part! I hobbled in at 4:49, smiling thru the pain lol. I called for the ambulance for the runner at mile 20 (maybe you Adrian?!) just wanted to know if they were ok (if it was Adrian then good to hear you are!). The killer hill seemed to go on forever, but then I got a 2nd wind in the last 4 miles and belted along in a Sis gel / Nuun / lucozade high. Now recovering on holiday near loch ness with fiancée on hand to pull me up and down stairs. Here's to next year! image
  • Options
    Hello Sumes. Glad to here you are ok. As of today I will call mile 18 out of Dorres Sumes Hill. You are now famous!
  • Options
    Many thanks to everyone for your kind words and to Heather for getting me the help I was very much in need of. I think I went down at just after 22 miles on the 2nd hill after Dorres, don't remember anything about it and when I was being lifted into the ambulance I had to ask the ambulance driver which marathon I had been running in! Thanks again to all for your best wishes.

Adrian aka Sumes of Sumes Hill
  • Options
    Hi Adrian,
    I had to stop while (I assume)your ambulance turned round. Great to hear you made such a fast recovery. Good luck for next year!
  • Options
    Love the "Sumes of Sumes Hill"!!!!
  • Options

So glad to hear that you're ok Adrian - you certainly looked to be in capable hands by the time I passed.

I managed a PB and the new GFA time but not the sub 3.45 I was hoping (and my training seemed to be on course) for. My quads were mashed from about mile 6 and are worse than after an IM. Well organised event and beautiful course though - nice t-shirt too!

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.