Options

Coasting Round Britain - Plymouth to Bristol

Comments

• Options

Oh and dont forget, more than one person can do the same stretch of coastline. If several people wanted to do the same section because they live locally or have a strong connection with the area then theres no limit to how many people can run those sections.

Doubling up like this also cuts down on possible delays incase someone gets an injury and has to pull out last minute as here will still be someone ready to do this section.

• Options

Hi I've added myself to the Clevedon/Bristol leg

cheers

Added myself in but only if during summer holidays.  Also, available to fill in other Cornish areas if needed.

Plymouth - Looe             23.7 miles
    Looe - Fowey                  12.1 - Piesandsalad (if in kids summer holidays)
    Fowey - St Austell           Piesandsalad (if in kids summer holidays)
    St Austell - St Mawes     (a tough stretch) - maybe piesandsalad (if in kids summer holidays)
    St Mawes - Falmouth     43.5
    Falmouth - Lizard           33.3
    Lizard - Penzance           28
    Penzance - St Just
    St Just -
    St Ives                40
    St Ives - Newquay           43
    Newquay - Padstow       24 - Possibly PaulS4
    Padstow - Tintagel          21 - Possibly PaulS4
    Tintagel - Bude                21.3
    Bude - Clovelly                25 - Boyddie
    Clovelly - Bideford           27 - Boyddie
    Bideford - Ilfracombe      39 - Boyddie to Croyde / Wrinkly from Croyde (nice ice-creams at Croyde)
    Ilfracombe - Lynton          19
    Lynton - Minehead           21.5
    Minehead - Burnham OS          Phil Hellier, Andy Gill.
    Burnham OS - Weston-Super-Mare  13 Mike352
    Weston-Super-Mare - Clevedon  Mike352
    Clevedon - Bristol Stephen NR

• Options

Nice to have you with us Stephen! With you doing up to Bristol we will have to try and plan your route to coincide with the first runner in the Bristol to Swansea stretch.

I posted a message on their section thread to let them know that you have put your name down for it, although i dont think they have anyone as of yet to start off their section in Bristol.

• Options

Wrinkly - re your maps / splits. Milage in some instances depends on river crossings and the such like. I know I want to swim / wade across a couple of rivers but if someone is running with me and they don't then it won't happen. I'll also be using a ferry at one point. All these things can changes milages somewhat. All we really need is a rough guide at the moment, then let folks plan the details themselves so don't worry too much about it.

I really hope that we use some form of gps tracking device for Barry, not everyone wants / needs / can afford a sports watch. I'd love to be able to record actual milages run - thats for the future though.

• Options

Andy Gill,
    Boyddie,
    Derek Skuse, 
    Emi,
    Fraggle,
    Joddly,
    Kittenkat, 
    Kiwiscanfly,
    Mark Charles 2, 
     Necessary Evil,
    PiesandSalad, 
    Phil Hellier, 
    PaulS4,
    Sharon Leedham,
    Stephen NR,
    Wrinkly Smurf,

All present and correct?

May I wish you all a very merry christmas.

• Options
    Merry Christmas BM and everyone else here image
  • Options

Mornin Peops, hope everyone didn't over indulge like me yesterday image feel terrible, picked up a bug I think, lethargic, have no energy.

Anyway, you don't want to hear me prattle on about my woes, tacked the route Thursday/today from Minehead to Burnham on Sea made it about 50 miles, but probably needs refining, tried to keep to coastline/Parrett riverside as much as possible, not too sure about footing from Dunball Wharf to Burnham beach, I've finished at the old Lighthouse on the beach. 

Plymouth - Looe             23.7 miles
    Looe - Fowey                  12.1 - Piesandsalad (if in kids summer holidays)
    St Austell - St Mawes     (a tough stretch) - maybe piesandsalad (if in kids summer holidays)
    St Mawes - Falmouth     43.5
    Falmouth - Lizard           33.3
    Lizard - Penzance           28
    Penzance - St Just
    St Just -
    St Ives                40
    Bideford - Ilfracombe      39 - Boyddie to Croyde / Wrinkly from Croyde (nice ice-creams at Croyde)
    Minehead - Burnham OS          50 - Phil Hellier, Andy Gill.

• Options

I certainly did over indulge yeserday, i was determined not to leave the table until all the roast potatoes and pigs-in-blankets had been eaten! Only really get to pig out on them once a year so why not, i'll run it off in the new year! Sorry to hear your coming down with a bug, thats not what you want over the holidays!

50miles is quite stretch, would you attempt it all in 1 long day or are you going to try and do it over a couple? I guess you and Andy Gil are running it together or will you be doing different sections of that section?

Speak with Mike352 if you can so you can confirm whether or not the lighthouse is a good place to hand over Barry the baton, if its not im sure you can come to some sort of comprimise!?

What did you use to track your route? If your not sure about a section ig you can walk on it try bikehike.co.uk as that shows a OS map linked with a google sateite map, so if you cant see a proper footpath on a google map, then the OS map will tell you if there is one there image

• Options

Plymouth - Looe            Joddly / Necessary Evil  23.7 miles
    Looe - Fowey                  Piesandsalad (if in kids summer holidays) 12.1
    St Mawes - Falmouth     MC2 43.5
    Falmouth - Lizard           MC2 33.3
    Lizard - Penzance          MC2 28
    Penzance - St Just         MC2
    St Just - St Ives                40

Floater Joddly

• Options

Dear Plymouth to Bristol,

This all depends on when we go but I would be willing to do any of the spare legs if I am free. Any idea when this is going to start? Is this a real relay, running 24/7?

Ian.image

• Options

Hey HM!

There is no way (as of yet) to determine when the Baton will reach this area. The event starts in blackpool on May 9th 2010 and will go clockwise around GB until it reaches this section which is when we will take over.

Until we get a full list of people for every section before this and people to produce their routes and say how long each individual section will take, we just dont know for sure.

This IS a relay although it is not 24/7 as its not advisable to run along an unlit clifftop coastal path in the dark. There will hopefully some form on running each day although there may be breaks due to injury or someone may have to drop out last minute and we would have to wait for a relacement.

Your welcome to put your name down for whatever sections you want to do or just add your name on the bottom as a sort of "floater" who can just fill in gaps when and where needed. Its entirely up to you!

• Options

Hi Boyddie

re changeover to the next section, please pass them my details when you have them. As a starter for 10 I'd like to suggest half way across the original severn crossing. There's a footpath over it and it's easy to access from the coast path. Mid point on the bridge is the England/Wales border which is nice and symbolic. I don't want to go to Bristol itself as it's 12 miles inland.

If they are struggling with the first bit I can rope in a couple of others and take some miles off them too.

If we do go for mid severn crossing my leg is 25 miles assuming I start at Clevedon sea front.

Any suggestions for swaps Mike 352, Bandstand or Pier possibly?

Mike252

cheers

• Options
    hi could all coasters have a look at ideas on main thread. Your views count.image
  • Options

Hi Boyddie

there's a lot of talk on the main thread about schedules and the like which is obviously unrealistic with so much of the route unclaimed. Thought I'd make a stab though. The Clevedon to Bristol leg which hopefully I can change to Clevedon to Severn Bridge is pretty straightforward terrain although there are a couple of bits I wouldn't want to do in the dark. (the first few miles and the last few miles).

There are also a couple of places where you can't stay on the coast, the most notable detour inland  is to bypass the Portbury and Avonmouth Docks via the footbridge on the Avonmouth Bridge (M5). I'm assuming you'd leave this part of the course design to me?

I live in Portishead (nicely in the middle of this section) and can recci the route to my hearts content. 

I'd recon about three hours give or take 30 mins as there are few hills.

I'm usually able to manage my own diary so can generally fit in with whatever time barry hits my hand and if necessary kip up at home and continue the next day if its too dark. 

Cheers

• Options

Yeh its completely up to you where you want to run, theres not strict rules or anything of where you have to run, as long as you stay as close to the coast as it is practical, theres no problem with coming away from the coast and going on roads and you know the area much much better than i do so i trust your judgement with whatever you think will be best! Its your route, run it however you like!

I guess it depends on when you get Barry off the person on the section before yours (Mike352) as to whether you can carry on running on the same day or not, but its great that you have such flexibility with living close by and an extensive local knowledge, it will certainly be helpful!

I saw your post on the Bristol-Swansea thread so i guess it will just depend on whoever takes the first leg there as to whether you can hanover on the bridge or not. I agree it would be a significant place to hand over, although possibly quite far out for the other runner to come and meet you (if you meet in the middle of the bridge).

Until someone starts organising the other thread with different sections like we have done, its hard to work out who you will be passing over to, but so far it doesnt look like anyone has asked for the Bristol leg yet (apart from as a reserve) so jus claim it for yourself if you fancy it.

• Options
    BM - just gone onto bikehike website - I like it - but I've just 'wasted' a lunch hour planning my routes.
  • Options
    Boyddie wrote (see)

Hey HM!

There is no way (as of yet) to determine when the Baton will reach this area. The event starts in blackpool on May 9th 2010 and will go clockwise around GB until it reaches this section which is when we will take over.

Until we get a full list of people for every section before this and people to produce their routes and say how long each individual section will take, we just dont know for sure.

This IS a relay although it is not 24/7 as its not advisable to run along an unlit clifftop coastal path in the dark. There will hopefully some form on running each day although there may be breaks due to injury or someone may have to drop out last minute and we would have to wait for a relacement.

Your welcome to put your name down for whatever sections you want to do or just add your name on the bottom as a sort of "floater" who can just fill in gaps when and where needed. Its entirely up to you!

bikermouse wrote (see)

Floater Joddly

Floater Ian AKA Honey Monster.
  • Options

Hi - I'd love to pick up some / all of the Lynton - Minehead leg,  although this is slightly dependent on dates - running Berlin 26 Sept so would want to avoid anything too mental immediately before that.  I've added my name to the list.  I'm in Somerset so could easily get to anything Ilfracombe-Bristolish. 

Lynton - Minehead           21.5 Senor Spam

Floater Joddly

Cheers all....SS
  • Options
    Will take some of the St Ives to Newquay stretch if dates ok.

Plymouth - Looe Joddly / Necessary Evil 23.7 miles
    Looe - Fowey Piesandsalad (if in kids summer holidays) 12.1
    Fowey - St Austell Piesandsalad (if in kids summer holidays)
    St Austell - St Mawes (a tough stretch) - maybe piesandsalad (if in kids summer holidays)
    St Mawes - Falmouth MC2 43.5
    Falmouth - Lizard MC2 33.3
    Lizard - Penzance MC2 28
    Penzance - St Just MC2
    St Just - St Ives 40
    St Ives - Newquay 43 - Sharon Leedham (date dependent)
    Newquay - Padstow 24 - Possibly PaulS4
    Padstow - Tintagel 21 - Possibly PaulS4
    Tintagel - Bude 21.3
    Bude - Clovelly 25 - Boyddie
    Clovelly - Bideford 27 - Boyddie
    Bideford - Ilfracombe 39 - Boyddie to Croyde / Wrinkly from Croyde (nice ice-creams at Croyde)
    Ilfracombe - Lynton 19
    Lynton - Minehead 21.5 Senor Spam
    Minehead - Burnham OS 50 - Phil Hellier, Andy Gill.
    Burnham OS - Weston-Super-Mare 13 Mike352
    Weston-Super-Mare - Clevedon Mike352

Floater Joddly

• Options

St Austell - St Mawes (a tough stretch) - maybe piesandsalad (if in kids summer holidays)
    Lizard - Penzance MC2 28
    Penzance - St Just MC2
    St Just - St Ives 40
    Tintagel - Bude 21.3
    Bideford - Croyde 20 - Boyddie
    Croyde - Ilfracombe 20 - Wrinkly (nice ice-creams at Croyde)
    Ilfracombe - Lynton 19

Floater Joddly

• Options
    Nice to have you on board guys image
  • Options

Hello coasters, i can run the St Just to St Ives and the Tintagel to Bude legs. Possibly help out or run other parts aswell.

Andy

• Options

welcome Andrewimage

dont forget to vote on Barry in the main threadimage

• Options

Hello Hoose-Goer

Thanks, have voted on Barry, Happy New Year to all coasters,

Andy

• Options

Lizard - Penzance MC2 28
    Penzance - St Just MC2
    St Just - St Ives 40 - Andrew Ives
    Tintagel - Bude 21.3 - Andrew Ives
    Ilfracombe - Lynton 19

Floater Joddly

• Options

Andrew i've added you onto the list, although you dnt have to stick to the sections as posted above, they were jus taken for a rough guide, feel free to change them or split them up however you like!

• Options

Hi Boyddie, thanks for the info,thought i'd pick those sections with the coast path to follow as navigation is not my best subject.

Andy

• Options
    Lizard - Penzance MC2 28
    Penzance - St Just MC2
    St Ives - Newquay 43 - Sharon Leedham (date dependent) + fraggle if weekend/hols
    Newquay - Padstow 24 - Possibly PaulS4  + fraggle too if weekend/hols
    Ilfracombe - Lynton 19
  • Options

hey could you peops look at main thread as we have an idea re  doing datesimage

xx

• Options

Hi Boyddie

I've added my mileage.

Just come back from a few days away, I saw your comments on the main board and you're absolutely right this section can't be done in a week. Sorry if you've already done this I haven't read all the posts but is it worth trying to plan our section based on the 29th Aug start date (as good as any) and seeing how long it will take to give extra detail into the arguement of how much time we need?

For me unless this gets really competitive I'm planning on taking 4 hours (think I said 3 previously but I'm getting swayed by the "enjoy the view" comments. I don't plan on running in the dark so I think if barry arrives before 8am I'm happy to be at the pick up point but I'm going back to bed. I'll start at 8am and hand over at 12. If I take Barry after 8am I'll run and hand him over 4 hours later. Unless I pick him up after 6pm. In this case I'll start at 8am the next day.

handover between                  start running        leg complete  

18:00 - 8am                            8am                     12:00

08:00 - 18:00                          immediately         four hours later

I'm happy to prat about with a spread sheet and do a schedule if you think this is worth doing.

Lizard - Penzance MC2 28
    Penzance - St Just MC2
    St Ives - Newquay 43 - Sharon Leedham (date dependent) + fraggle if weekend/hols
    Newquay - Padstow 24 - Possibly PaulS4  + fraggle too if weekend/hols
    Ilfracombe - Lynton 19
    Clevedon - Bristol 24 Stephen NR