Options

Coasting Round Britain Northern Ireland

Comments

• Options

a lid is a "skid lid" Barry-a crash helmetimage

in the biker get up you will look like a rather stiff action man (ooh err missus!)image

• Options
    No hints, Stu! image It's a secret.....I think I would look like The Stig - except I'll be biking and not in a F1 car!image...can't wait....
  • Options

Don't worry you'll be in safe hands, I was a motorcycle dispatch rider in London for a couple of years.

Just hope a few more runners from 'Norn Iron' put their name forward  to make the trip worth while.

• Options
    Might have to run more than one stage Martin!!
  • Options

you will fill up I am certain. Take a look at our first 1000 milesimage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xMV4NE2LJQ

• Options
    Took me a few weeks to make it across from U&R Forum. Still up for this so will add to list:

Muff - GreySteel                       12.1  - Martin Lilley
    Greysteel - Ballyscullion       12.7
    Ballyscullion - Coleraine       12.7
    Coleraine - Portrush                  7.6 - Joe Rocket
    Portrush - Dunseverick          10.4 - HMM
    Dunseverick - Ballycastle     10.1
    Ballycastle - Knocknacarry   11.9
    Knocknacarry - Carnlough     13.8
    Carnlough - Larne                     13.3 - Mark Duffy
    Larne - Carrickfergus                13.0 - Whitehead Runner
    Carrickfergus - Belfast              11.2 - eilers
    Belfast - Bangor                          12.8 - DS (the famouse U&R Kneebreakers run!)
    Bangor - Donaghadee               7.2
    Donaghadee - Ballywater         7.7
    Ballywater - Cloughey                9.2
    Cloughey - Portaferry                  4.7
    Portaferry - Strangford (ferry)
    Strangford - Ringawaddy          5.5
    Ringawaddy - Ballygilbert        6.5
    Ballygilbert - Newcastle             15.8
    Newcastle - Mullartown                 6.5
    Mullartown - Maghereagh            5.4
    Maghereagh - Killowen                 8.5
    Killowen - Warrenpoint                  4.2
    Warrenpoint - Newry                     7.0
  • Options

If you could give me some dates for the runs I would be keen, but i would have to fly home for it (i am determined norn iron doesnt let the side down!!) so would need a solid date.  Ill be doing the causeway coastal again (loved it last year, apart from wading through the sea and getting lost on the way back - i went through the causeway didnt i?!) so maybe something around then.... if i could see the dates id be wiser.  Is it possible to do more than one run?  Im not sure it would be worth the flight to come and run 7 miles?

thanks,

• Options

Belfast - Bangor                          12.8 - DS (the famouse U&R Kneebreakers run!)

Floaters (to try to fill in if needed) - Offord MH, 

• Options
    Katie -we are trying to time it so we can include Causeway Coastal Mara in. Please plop  yourself onimage Brilliant to see NI runners "owning" this thread and stretch now. I am certain you will provide us with a great an adventure as those who have already finished. I wish I could bottle the fun we have had so far. Nothing will fill a stretch quickerimage
  • Options

I agree with Katie, there are a few legs than could be doubled very easily, I'm keeping this in mind.... and so are my legs image

Is there anybody on here from the Newry City Runing club?  There are a whole field of runners (apparently that's the collective noun for runners) from the club that ran the Mourne marathon and I know at least 1 did the Ultra, was thinking they could start to populate the later end of the relay.

• Options
    Katie, Martin - feel free to put yourselves down for as many legs as you want, plenty of Coasters have done 2 or 3 consecutive legs already. And even when legs start filling up you can double or treble up on legs, more fun that way!
  • Options

you can double, tripple and quadruple Martinimage If you guys can contact the clubs I can contact the media when we are more certain of things.

d'yell Mike -you doin' my job again-lolimage you are bloody quick off the mark youimage

• Options
    Thought you'd forgotten that bit image
  • Options

as if-lol IAre you as quick at running?image

forget the rules "I set"! -I don't know- rasssum saasum frassum Mikelfc-lol

deserves a

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/354146/Gallery/4989577647a6163937657m.jpg

Blakey

• Options
    Stu www.coastersgb.co.uk wrote (see)

as if-lol IAre you as quick at running?image

I wish image
  • Options

I am concerned here that the thread is dominated by the coasters' "egger ons" more  than you N. Ireland guys. Time soon passes as many have found out. It doesn't seem 10 minutes ago since we set off but it is now 7 weeks.

• Options

We could do with a local co-ord to get things moving, someone who knows the area and the clubs etc.

Maybe someone who's already down for a leg in the list above... hint image

• Options
    agree totally Mike and another case for a co-ord advice thread(whether me saying it makes me popular or not). With the right guidelines maybe someone will take the job on. Best people to advise are other co-ords that have done it, surely?-not me for one.
  • Options
    Gonna have a look for that post K4T did re co-ords advice, that would be a good way to start a new thread
  • Options
    been trying to find it myself Mike . Toe treading or not it needs to be done. Co-ords talking to co-ords about co-ording is good. 
  • Options

Found it

K4T www.coastersgb.co.uk wrote (see)

Have collated the following hints/tips for Co-Ordinators and have put a section in for Coasters too, the co-ord can't be expected to do everything, it's a collaborative effort. What do you all think, any more?

Co-ord responsibilities:

• Create a stretch specific mailbox if you don't want to use your personal email.

• Welcome new runners posting on thread and allocate them to a leg/s.

• Check the leg maps start/finish points tally with all adjoining legs.

• Get email addresses and contact numbers for everyone on stretch.

• Make sure everyone has a contact number for the person in front and after them.

• Encourage first and last Coaster's on stretch to liaise with previous and next stretch.

• Update Bruce with changes to legs.

• Update the Coaster website with runners, mileage and maps and/or send to K4T.

• Join in on the main 'Round The Coast Of Great Britain Run thread

• Liaise with clubs/groups of runners that don't use the forum.

• Encourage Coasters to contact local media (newspapers and radio stations) or provide suggestions.

• Keep up thread activity with the latest schedule and welcome suggestions and improvements.

• Encourage Coasters to write up reports of their journey with Barry, post photo's and volunteer for the podcast.

• Enjoy it!

Coaster responsibilities:

• Use the stretch thread, especially 2-3 weeks before the off – communication is crucial!

• Turn on PM's, this is essential!

• Map leg routes as soon as possible to confirm your mileage and post a link on stretch thread.

• Liaise with the person in front and after you to agree a handover point, date and time, ensure you have swapped contact numbers.

• Ensure your co-ord is updated with your plans, on thread or directly.

• Email a report of your journey with Barry to reports@coastersgb.co.uk

• Email your photo's to gallery@coastersgb.co.uk

• Add your name to the Coasters Roll of Honour

• Support all the stretches. Every Coaster taking part, every leg and stretch completed is one step closer to success for Coasters GB 2010!

• Have fun!

Recruiting runners:

• Target each Coaster to get at least one friend to join in.

• Handing out flyers at race days to capture runners not on the internet.

• Ask all Coasters to promote the relay at the clubs, workplaces and other forums

• Options
    /members/images/552610/Gallery/DH.jpg

So Northern Ireland,

Do you want to be part of this? 

You know you do! Just needs one of you girls or guys to take on the co-ordinating job and put runners in each of the legs.

The rewards are well worth the effort involved take it from me! imageimageimage

• Options
    it is not a tombstone from the exhausted co-ords graveyard btwimage
  • Options
    LOL, that is what it looked like image
  • Options
    Don't be shy Norn Ironers, come and be a part of history, Coasters and a co-ordinator needed.
    We've even got a special thread for trainee co-ordinators image
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?dt=4&UTN=162082&last=1&V=6&SP=
  • Options

boingimage

we know some interest is here but we do really need to see signs of life in the next few weeks so we can fit you into schedule. We all want you guys to do itimage

• Options
    eilers12 wrote (see)
    Took me a few weeks to make it across from U&R Forum. Still up for this so will add to list:

• Options

Well we have a bit of interest going by the above. However something  I am uneasy about is the possibility that this thread will continue to be full of us "outsiders" being the only posters rather than the Northern Ireland folks. If there is no local interest shown before 1st August we may be forced to pull this stretch which would be a real shameimage. We have to set timetables and we all depend on eachother.

You could set up a thread from Up & Running and organise that way if you want. We can pop over and see how you are getting on.image

Martin -have you thought about being co-ord for N. Ireland? A local co-ord will get things moving.image

COME ON YOU N.IRELANDERSimage