Options

Talkback: Lucozade Sport Super Six: Richard (sub-3:15)

Comments

• Options
    TR wrote (see)

I agree, its nice that BR has showed up with his advice.

MM - nice one on sticking with the given plan. As much as you might like to tweak it or not, well played for planning to do what you signed up for.

BR - It's the whole point of the Super Six thing though isn't it? RW want to increase traffic to the site and Garmin want to flog their GPS units, Adidas want good exposure and Lucozade want to say they fuelled us all as we followed the plan to the letter. It's a bit rich (IMO) to say you're going to do your own thing when there's so much sponsorship behind you.
    The Evil Pixie wrote (see)

If I could be so bold as to pull the thread away from technical talk of paces etc ....

Rich I put on my application and I know it's true .... I lack self belief. You obvously have a lot of focus and belief. Can you point out any books/plans/technics or pointers for myself and others like me?

Cheers mate!

Pix - good point you raise there. Tbh, I do this because Mrs MM allows me and I want to be a good positive role model for my children. I do ok at running (within reason) and I don't want to let people down, Mrs MM especially so I have to think positively. It's down to a state of mind, you don't need books, classes,etc, you just need to be optimistic above all else.
    You can let people talk you out of things or you can think "no, **** it. I am going to do this" and set out to achieve your goals.
  • Options

Hello MM,

Just started reading your thread tonight, I am 43 years old and started running seriously 18 months ago. Did stratford 2009(first marathon) in 3 hours 20 and abingdon (allbiet with 1 1/2 months with not a lot of training due to injury) in 3 hours 16. I am doing stratford again this year with 3 hours 15 being the holy grail, until I break it then it will be 3 hours 10. Our times over other distances very similar, I have 2 kids but I have the "luxury" of 2 girls age 10 and 15.  Good luck with your training and hopefully we will both be sub 3 hour 15 by the end of april.

• Options
    Barry B - well done for sticking to rules 1 and 2 of this thread! image Please feel free to stick around and ask questions and see what's going on. Well done on the marathon times so far, you'll find that as you do another marathon, the endurance of the previous 2 campaigns will kick in and you'll go better again. Do you know what your half-way splits were in both marathons you did?
    Do you know if you have any weak areas you have to work on or have you got the marathon cracked yet?
  • Options
    Barry B - you have a 15yr old girl? AYE CARAMBA! I'm dreading my daughter becoming a teenager as she's a right madam at only 4.5 years old image
  • Options
    My half splits were 1hour 33 and 1 hour 35, always start too fast but can't help it and at that point everything seemed fine but as you probably know at 20 miles it starts to hurt.  Weak areas I think are mental, keeping that pace going, if you can run quicker with 1 mile to go, why not before? My 15 year old is OK apart from when the 10 year old winds her up. How about you for weaknesses.
  • Options

1h33 to 3h20 - that's a big fade right there: 14mins?
    1h35 to 3h16 - *only*`6mins

those suggest you are getting better at controlling your pace as you went through halfway slower at Abo even though it's a quicker course. I guess if you went through another campaign for Stratford you'd aim for 1h35m again and your endurance you're building up (spring and autumn marathons) over 12 months will see yu go under 3h15. That and the fact you've suffered through 2 already so you know what's coming.

My weaknesses are that my overall av mileage in a campaign is low (30/31mpw) and until 2009 I wasn't doing enough LSR. Also, practicing marathon HR brought me on leaps and bounds for both FLM and Abo in 09. Hopefully being coached by Liz and following an organised programme which was written by Mike Gratton will see me right on the day image

• Options

I was glad to finish abindgon without stopping, my training consisted of 7 weeks following the RW sub 3 hour 15 training plan and then due to a calf injury running Pewsey, Chippenham and Swindon halfs with a bit a x training but I think this showed with lack of LSR  with my struggle during the last  6 at abingdon, up until then I was averaging 7 min 5 secs per mile. Are you following the RW sub 3 hour 15 training plan or is it being tweaked?

• Options
    small tweaks to cope with the fact that I have to get to work by either running or cycling so two sessions a day is unavoidable. Liz is trying to make it so I ride in, run home then run in ride home thereby making it so I do the plan almost to the letter rather than do extra miles unnecassarily. Work is 2.5 miles away so cycling there or back is tantamount to doing nothing in my eyes.
    I'm being allowed to do club nights on Weds nights and I have a couple of XC league races and the odd 15 mile race and 10k to fit in but nothing I wouldn't be doing if I was following the plan to the letter.
    You sound like you have the potential to go well with a bit more training and racing under your belt if you're down to 7m5s pace for your 2nd marathon. If you did Stratford then Abo this year do you think you'd be sailing close to 3h05 at Abo?
  • Options

BR - It's the whole point of the Super Six thing though isn't it? RW want to increase traffic to the site and Garmin want to flog their GPS units, Adidas want good exposure and Lucozade want to say they fuelled us all as we followed the plan to the letter. It's a bit rich (IMO) to say you're going to do your own thing when there's so much sponsorship behind you.

Well I hope you get what you want given the constraints of doing things to please the sponsors rather than what you know has stood you in good stead in the past.  But as TR has said, you've decided to go down a route and I admire people who stick to what they set out to do.  Also nice to see the honesty in the quoted paragraph.

• Options

I am going to take it one race at a time, Stratford is a harder course than Abingdon, so if stratford goes well hopefully Abingdon will go better.  But that is a long way off and anything can happen. I think the ultimate would be to go under three hours, what's your ultimate?

• Options
    Hi ya

Not running VLM myself still debating whether or not to do Shakespeare , thinking of loosely following this schedule to get me back into some kind of shape after a very lazy December.

Good luck with this Matchstick Man.

• Options

"Lazy" probably has different definitions to different people.  I suspect that coming from Joe who cycled to the St Albans half from somewhere near Reading it might not be what the rest of us mean by it!  

Good luck with the training all you speedy people

• Options

Hash - Lazy equals no miles logged at all. I did run but only back from the pub which doesn't really count. image

• Options

Was the pub in Aberystwyth?image

I doubt that it matters, you've got the base fitness there in spades, and besides, the schedules are relatively gentle for the first four weeks.  Well, mine is, I'm not sure about Rich's!

• Options
    Matchstick Man wrote (see)

Cor good this innit? We've got some real, proper, honest-to-goodness beentheredoneit types who've got either sub 3h15 or sub3 to their names and who are passing on their collective advice to all who read this thread. A real collection of knowledge and top tips from high mileage types to 3 runs a week peeps. This is what I hoped for - a good bit of debate, some different ideas but essentially everyone chipping in to try and help out with advice.

Brilliant.

Agreed - some great debate and a good host image

Looking forward to seeing your progress over the next 16 weeks now you have a plan proper.

• Options
    Barry B wrote (see)

I am going to take it one race at a time, Stratford is a harder course than Abingdon, so if stratford goes well hopefully Abingdon will go better.  But that is a long way off and anything can happen. I think the ultimate would be to go under three hours, what's your ultimate?

I've come to running far too late in life to say that sub 3 is possible. I've got too much in the way of family commitments to keep logging 50mpw week in, week out to then raise the game to 70mpw+. The most I can spare a week is 7hrs and even that eats into family life a bit too much on some days, especially when Mrs MM is up most nights as she's breastfeeding. It's a difficult balancing act at times tbh.
    I've always maintained that sub 3h15 is possible for an averagely fit married father and once I've done it I'll stop doing marathons. I only race locally (15mile radius tops) which restricts my racing but allows me to spend as much time with the family as possible. Hence why next Saturday at the XC race, I'll be taking the family with me as there's a swimming centre right next door so we can swimming straight afterwards. it's about maximising my leisure time as much as I can
  • Options
    Welcome to Joe Hawk, glad to see another one joining in for the fun and frolics over the next 4 months.
  • Options
    MM. Just to let you know the garmin is still working fine and I'm also looking forward to getting some of my money back in the form of a pint of cider after London. Not sure if you are managing to read the 3:15 fred much, but for some silly reason I did a 26.2 mile LSR today....completely mad, but at least I'm not a marathon virgin now.  It also seems as if we have daughters the same age, although luckily my second is already 18 months old (son). One of the reasons I deferred last year was due to my then 6 month old keeping me up most nights (I do all the nights in our house, bit tough on my nipples, when it comes to breast-feeding though)

Good luck with the training once your rest period is over
  • Options
    Chris - you did WHAT?
  • Options

Hi Richard,

Just popping in to say hi and good luck for the next 16 weeks. What a journey it will be!

Your positive outloook is a gift to the other Sixers and your thread.

Get in!! 

• Options
    Shadow Face wrote (see)

MM, Do you know when does Liz Y starts mentoring on this forum? I see 'Steve marathon coach' is already posting and engaging alot for those under his wing. 

Just picked up my e-mails and it seems Liz has gastric flu which has floored her and stopped her working. Hashette and I will be doing what we've been told to do for tomorrow and Liz will be back online when she feels better. Thankfully germs aren't contagious via e-mail! Get well soon Liz
  • Options
    right, hopefully every week I'll be doing a catch-up session on Sunday nights to do a quick run down of what i've done during the week. Today was a "rest" day in terms of no training but I spent most of the daylight hours with a mate of mine at my house as we chopped/sawed and hacked at all the wood I had stored to break it down for the log burner we have. Back breaking work just about covers it, my mate is under the impression it was slave labour image So no running today.

Mon - nothing
    tues- nothing
    Wed - nothing
    Thurs - 4.43 miles off-road - 35m10s 7m56s pace 169bpm / 179bpm (AV HR / MHR)
    Fri - 5.25 miles slow - 45m05s 8m35s pace 157bpm / 170bpm (AV HR / MHR)
    Sat - 3.31miles which included a 5m47s mile done at 187bpm / 192bpm (AV HR / MHR)
    Sun - nothing

easy week then and ready to crack on with day one, week one tomorrow.
  • Options

And to continue following the plan to the letter - no lurking.  Good debate.  Interesting self imposed 1 mile time trial MM.  May try it this week, haven't run around a track for donkeys years.  May determine my actual state of fitness.

Good luck with the plan MM.  16 weeks tick tock, tick tock....

• Options

Windy - I didn't run round a track, just ran round a measure mile circuit near my home that the club uses for mile reps on club nights. It's mostly flat and I only have to cross one junction. Not perfect track conditions but useful nonetheless

Day 1 going ok so far - short 2.5 mile ride into work on the 'cross bike. Too icy to go hell for leather so nice and easy. Tonight is 4 miles easy on the way home

• Options

MM - forgotton how much time is taken up when they are young.  I work shifts so I can do most of my training when kids are at school.  Started the plan this morning at 6am, my daughter goes early morning swimming training, so I run while she swims.  Bloody freezing, ended up with frozen hair!  Managed a slow 4 and a bit miles, roads were not too treacherous.

• Options

Barry B - I was up with Mrs MM at 5.30 a.m this morning as jnr jnr was having another bad night. He seems to feed most of the way through the night which is good for him in terms of being healthy and growing but bad for Mrs MM who gets naff-all sleep most nights. I tried to settle him for 20mins but it didn't work out so Mrs MM came back in to take over again.
    Then when I've come into work she's stuck with jnr jnr and jnr snr when she'd rather be asleep image

I guess I didn't answer your question properly. I guess my ultimate goal(s) is/are:
    Go sub 3h15 on April 25th and then give up marathon running
    Concentrate on shorter distances and look to go:
    sub 39mins for 10k
    sub 30mins for 5 miles
    sub 1h25m for a HM

and after that be able to go to local races and be able to be (vaguely) competitive within the constraints of family life

• Options

Morning speedy

Just nipping in to wish you all the very best for the start of the journey.  Keep the positive mantras coming!