Options

Talkback: Lucozade Sport Super Six: Richard (sub-3:15)

Comments

• Options
    AndyVAndyV ✭✭✭
    Good start on your thread mate. Still don't know how you run so quick but hey its all about being the best we can be isn't it. Anyway if we don't speak before xmas have a good one and take it easy. Me thinks we will be busy next year!
  • Options

Hi MM

Just thought i'd join in on your blog... you got my vote for the comp and it's great to see everything kick off for you with some great insight and overview already. I'm a fellow Midlander actually (B'ham) and although a little way off your PB's i'm running my first marathon at London next April, harboring secret ambitions to run sub 3:30. Hope to be around abouts 90min HM by March (currently 1:41 having only entered races in last 6 months) and already getting some useful tips from your postings... for instance i'm relatively uninformed to running and was unawares that 5x20 milers were the order of the day in the lead up (I was thinking a 20 mile race + one or two longer runs).

Anyhow keep up the postings.

All the best.

Jon  

• Options

Jon

Glad to see you're following rules 1 and 2 of the thread. If you're a fellow Midlander then our paths may cross in the next few months? Are you in a local club or not? I'd say the one thing that has brought me on in recent years is joining the local club (Northbrook AC) and getting out with better runners than myself and doing races with club guys and girls.
    Top tip for your first marathon - you need to reign in your enthusiasm for the 20 mile point. Don't make my mistake and think you can go HM x 2 + 15mins if you do a bit more training. The marathon is hard and takes a lot of mental fortitude to be honest. You've got to back up that good HM time with some good endurance training and I'm sure you'll get close to 3h30.
    The worst thing is that once you've done your first marathon you'll work out what you can do to go faster next time.....

• Options
    The Evil Pixie wrote (see)

MM I'd take Liz's advice and enjoy the Christmas break with the kids. You won't lose much in the time (as we all know you want kick back totally!) so enjoy the snow with the little people

Which 5m you doing?

Godiva New Year 5 http://www.coventry-godiva-harriers.org.uk/images/2010ny5.jpg (only if I'm allowed though!)
  • Options

Thanks for the reply MM, I almost laughed when I read your warning about the HM x 2 +15 time prediction as that's what i've been trying not to believe although I am most probably guilty of basing my expectations around this.

Not much planned in the Midlands for the moment. Running Telford 10k on Sunday and may attend one of Centurion Athletics Club's 5 milers in Solihull at some point but haven't seen anything of longer distance to suit yet. Try and stay local where possible but I imagine i'll be travelling further a field for the longer distances, defo the 20 miler at least. Not attached to a running club as yet... thought I was leaving the country with work but that's no longer the case so i'm sure i'll get on to that soon - Birchfield's my nearest.

Anyhow, i'm off for the evening... so happy running for the weekend.   

• Options

MM - it's all about the man love. But only in the right portions. Very jealous of this prize of yours but you deserve it buddy.

Hi Liz, you're amazing, make sure he gets it this time!

• Options

MM congrats again on the Super Six, and from a selfish point of view, I was thinking about doing the Garmin sub 3:15, so it will be interesting to see what you think of it and what other advice you get from the RW team.

I seem to be a couple of years behind you in terms of when I started running, but a couple of years ahead when it comes to age, I appear to have started for the same reasons, my young daughter is now approaching her 4th b'day (in Feb) and I felt I wanted to be fit enough to show off to the other parentsimage

• Options

Congratulations MM on getting picked!

I'll be following your thread very closely as your 10K and half PBs are near identicle to mine, and I am going for sub 3:15 at Stratford (same day as London).  Weekly training totals look quite similar too.

Best of luck with it.

• Options

The thought that a rest is actually a good idea before we start training is making me feel a lot less grumpy about my enforced rest thanks to all the white stuff! 

• Options
    Hello MM- (and morning Hash) Looking forward to following you on the forums and 'journeying along together'  What does this weekends training entail for you??
  • Options

MM

Whatever the traing schedule designd for you is, lets not forget that i need you to run the Birmingham League Races for Northbrook!!

I'm sure that Liz will agree that these are excellent opportunites to test your progress and run in a quality field.

now get yourself down the club on a Wednesday night!!!

john 

• Options

Hi MM! Just dropping in to bookmark you really and don't have any useful contribution right now (too hungover), but you said no lurkers...

• Options

MM - Congratulations (again) on winning.

You had a tough time with the disappointment of Abingdon but you seem all fired up and keen to go now, I think you'll achieve your sub 3:15 goal this time.

But remember to steer clear of the lurgy and injuries.

Wishing you all the best on your journey.

OGL

• Options
    MM - alright if I join you on here as well? You've certainly got a fast moving thread going, but I'd expect nothing less from you! Just lurking for the moment but looking forward to when the training starts in earnest. Are you getting the round at Chandos in for all the folks here as well? image
  • Options
    Oooh, they do nice bottles of organic wheat beer at Chandos image  My post FLM '07 'meal' was a few bottles of that (after having had no alcohol for 4 months!) and a curry........to be recommended!
  • Options
    Race Jase - right back at ya big man x
    Scooby - welcome on board to this thread as well
    Artie - if I hadn't had won this prize then I would be toeing the line with you at Stratford so good luck with the Greenway next April
    CC2 / OGL / Lorenzo - welcome to some of the sub 3h15 thread regulars. CC2 is a marathon winner as well as a "Glamazon" so comes highly regarded image
    JBFAR - Saturdays are family days in MM Towers so unless I have a race then I don't do any running. Sundays are club run days with the Northbrook and tomorrow is the 13 mile Christmas Cracker run, led by a training partner of mine who has got a 3h13 marathon to his credit from Berlin this year.
    The Chandos round is now saved and logged on my training diary so I know who I'm buying for don't worry.

Now then ladies and gentlemen, I'd like to introduce one of the most talented guys I go training with - John Hosie. He's our club captain and (when I bother to go down the club on a Wednesday night) gives me a good shoeing for my own benefit! Don't worry El Capitano, I have booked the Warwicks XC champs and the Wyken Croft XC in my "to do" list with Liz  so I'm free to run them for the club.
  • Options
    Just thought I'd pop in and say hello, MM - as I'm another 3:15 threader who's yet to hit 3:15 I'll be watching out for some hot tips!
  • Options
    andy from embsay wrote (see)
    Just thought I'd pop in and say hello, MM - as I'm another 3:15 threader who's yet to hit 3:15 I'll be watching out for some hot tips!

hot tips eh?
    Never eat yellow snow
    Never wear check with plaid
    Blue and green should never be seen except for a colour inbetween
    Never bet on the favourite at the 2.30 at Chepstow

That should do for now

• Options

Best of luck to you MM.

How ironic that if you had made it to Abo and knocked out 3.14.59, you might not be here.  In retrospect the illness was a blessing as you will have a ball over the next few months with loads of people rooting for you to do well.   IMHO if you can avoid illness/injury/ovetraining you can go substantially inside 3.15 - surely you should be looking to be in the region of 3.10? Or even 3.0X?  Buit first things first, enjoy the training.

• Options

MM - good luck with the campaign.  I will be following closely as I think we are at a pretty similar level in terms of our running and I will be intrigued to see what Liz has in store for you.  Your mara PB sticks out like a sore thumb in your list of PBs.  It should be about 10 mins quicker (like mine image).  Seriously - I'm sure that if you had not picked up the lurgy pre Abingdon you would have bagged something in the 3:05-3:10 range.

Interesting on resting up at this time of year.  I am pushing through despite the obvious distractions.  Did my first 20 miler since April this morning.  I took it easy over the summer having done FLM 07, Abingdon 08 and FLM 09.  I had had enough of mara training so just ran how i felt when I felt like it for 4-5 months and never more than 11m or so.  Lost some fitness but not too much and was glad of the break. As such I feel OK about starting early this time round but in your shoes after a long run of continuous mara training Liz's suggestion of 7-10 days rest may be a good one.  Just go easy on the mince pies!  

Looking forward to following the thread - if I can do it then you certainly can

• Options
    Hope you're having a Christmas Cracking run MMimage
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

MM - Hope the training went well today or did you just rest as suggested.  It was a good day for X-training (sledging) with the children - I ended up doing both and am now well and truly in need of rest!

Thinking about training schedules and the 2010 VLM campaign I would find it useful if you posted more details of what you did for VLM09 and/or Abingdon.  You've posted the summary details already but I was thinking more about the in-depth account (eg weekly training totals, races completed, weekly structure, etc).  It would be really useful to have this background to judge progress of the current campaign. 

• Options

Congratulations MM, you got my vote image

I'll be following your progress with interest. I managed 3.16.57 at London last year having trained for 3.20 but then felt good on the day and went through halfway in 1.37, then suffered from heat-induced cramp which slowed me down after 20 miles. Have managed to get a champs start place through an autumn half time (1.28), and definitely want to go sub-3.15 this time (although will be probably be aiming for somewhere in the 3.05-3.10 bracket if training goes well).

Keep us updated!

• Options
    MM - was your category for the sexy 6 sub-3:15 or sub-3:30? Either way I'm glad it's now 3:15 as that's my target, so I intend to suck up all your top tips - have already ditched my tartan underpants that I used to wear with my checked socks...
  • Options

Hello MM.  Nothing much to say as too slippery for running here today, but thought I'd post to stick to the no lurking rule.  very impresed with a 20 today GE, keep on keeping on

• Options

MM, Not running VLM myself image (bl**dy ballot!), but hope to learn enough for 3:15 in May.

Wheels have always fallen off the wagon by not having enough lsr's under the belt , so am planning on starting earlier with you lot and hopefully be able to carry it through to Edinburgh (20 week prog). 

• Options

righto - hello to some more of the 3h15 thread regulars. Hello to Liza as well *waves*
    Training today: 12.83 miles in fresh powdery snow with the club - about 20+ to begin with (aforementioned John Hosie being one of them) then it whittled down when we split off to do shorter or longer runs. AV HR 166bpm / MHR 178bpm. 1h38m17secs / 7m39s pace.
    That makes 28.15 miles this week to go with 31.43 miles last week.

Liza - keep posting as we appear to be about the same form wise and (probably) target wise image

• Options
    Golden_Eagle wrote (see)

Your mara PB sticks out like a sore thumb in your list of PBs.  It should be about 10 mins quicker (like mine image). 

You can off some people you know!

Seen Better Days wrote (see)

Thinking about training schedules and the 2010 VLM campaign I would find it useful if you posted more details of what you did for VLM09 and/or Abingdon.  You've posted the summary details already but I was thinking more about the in-depth account (eg weekly training totals, races completed, weekly structure, etc).  It would be really useful to have this background to judge progress of the current campaign. 

Good idea. Ok here goes, I have history of all my training going back to 1996 so I can give you a breakdown of the training for all my maras:

FLM 08 - 11 week build up, 334 miles total, 5 x LSR = 70.36. Raced at week 8 (5 miles in 35m11s), week 10 (10k in 41m27s - then a PB) then did marathon in 3h30mins.
    Notts 08 - 12 week build up, 333 miles total, 5 x LSR = 87.67. Raced at week 2 (5k in 19m32s, 6 miles in 37m53s - PB), week 7 (5k in 19m49s and HM in 1h30m53s), week 11 (5k in 19m14s) then did marathon in 3h25mins.
    FLM 09 - 17 week build up, 512 miles, 5 x LSR = 100 miles [5 x 20]). Raced at week 1 (5 miles in 33m01s), week 3 (local league XC 5.78 miles), week 7 (local league XC 6.57 miles), week 10 (15 miles in 1h45m44s), week 12 (20miles in 2h21mins53s), week 14 (5km in 19m09, Midland Relays and 10k in 39m31s - PB), week 16 (National Relays) then marathon in 3h19mins
    Abo 09 DNS - 18 week build up, 589miles, 5 x LSR = 101.2 miles (18.47, 20, 21.36, 22.7, 18.67). Raced at week 2 (5 miles in 31m20s - PB), week 3 (5km in 19m03s), week 8 (5km in 18m50s), week 13 (10 miles in 64m02s - PB) and then week 16 (HM in 1h32m15s - ran as planned marathon HR run, NOT raced)

The only splits I've got are from both Londons due to the information overload you get:
    FLM 08 - 1st half in 1h38m34, 2nd half in 1h51m39s image
    FLM 09 - 1st half in 1h37m17, 2nd half in 1h41m57s

It's all about minimising the second half fade folks......