Options

The 2010 Marathon Thread

Comments

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Freemers - I have done Gorlston Cliffs parkrun a few times and it is worth a go.

45 mins on the turbo for me this morning just keeping the legs ticking over.
  • Options

jasond: there's lots of stuff that I eat image pasta, rice, lentils, all kinds of veggies except mushrooms of course, choccie, chips, cake, bread ...   

JC, freezing fog here today too - and no way to run in that. It's like a flipping ice rink.  Still hasn't cleared. If it stays like that today will end up being a rest day. Still hopeful to squeeze in a 5 mile recovery run tonight. I may slip-slide towards the park and run on grass which is still covered in snow, btw. That'll be fun!

Gobi: fantastic spirit - 'race is cancelled, no problem, we'll set up our own' Brilliant.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Chicka - when it comes down to it most of us just want to go running :¬)
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Joe,

I think I'd wait until I was fully better.  As it was I did win something! £5!.

Jason,

The Fracture Clinic has given me a sick note for 4 weeks with a phased return for the following 4 weeks.

Cickadee,

I thought last year was bad enough with the various things which happened but this year has topped it.

Jay,

Ouch.  How long did it take for your wife's shoulder to get better.

------------

Well done on everyone's training.  I've been given a few exercises I can do when the pain isn't too bad to try & stop things stiffening up too much & the doc was a bit surprised that i'm back sleeping in bed (even though I'm lying on my good side) already rather than sleeping in a chair.

• Options
    A bit shattered today. Hence only 20 mins in treadmill and 20 mins elliptical. All quite light training. Day off tomorrow then 10k on Thursday.

Have a good evening all...
  • Options

7.5M - Ended up averaging 6:50 pace image

• Options
    Zion - you're looking Christmassy!

6 miles icy hilly fartlek round the streets of Cromer with the club tonight. Not many turned up! I nearly went over a few times.....
  • Options

HY4 - IIRC it was around 8-10 weeks, but it was a bad break on the ball joint at the top of her arm (kind of a vertical break although the bone stayed in place in the shoulder joint). She had physio and couldn't drive for about 4 months, which I think she found the worst part.

Chickadee - I think we all need to be circumspect with when we get out and if it's too dodgy it's just not worth the risk. Bright sunshine here for most of today, even though it was colder!

Three way betting on the rescheduled Norwich half then image

Another record low on the cycle computer at 8am on the commute this morning, eclipsing last Friday's 22f (-5.5c) was 16f (-8.8c). Stayed negative for a 6.5 mile lunchtime run at an easy pace, avoiding all the ice like everyone else. Oh, only -4c so relatively warm compared to the cycle ride in...

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    -2 here with no wind this morning so lovely morning for a run

10.5 miles at 8.20 pace. Nice to chill out :¬)
  • Options

jaycmoore I won't be racing Norwich but plan on using it as a MP session with miles either side. I have another planned for a pb attempt.image

I think the milkman now thinks I'm certifiable, two hours done, too early for meimage, but life dictates at the moment. At least I'll be warm for the rest of the day!

Enjoy the day all

• Options

Posted on here yesterday from work but note it didn't go on Forumimage.

Yesterday two sessions am 6.5miles with 5 tempo @6:22 pace, pm 4.5 miles recovery. Just over 11 miles this morning recorded -10 in my car on the way home from work at 10pm last night, still very cold this morning even with 2 pairs of gloves on.

Gobi you still in your shorts? well done with your run mate.

Jayc good going with the cycle and run.

AGF enjoy your 10k.

Joe nice pace.

HY4 all ways look on the bright side their is always someone worse off no matter who you are, take care and get better soon.

Mr Spoons well done on the hill session.

Chick take care on the ice.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    NP - I am still doing all hard running and my daylight runs in shorts.

These 5am sessions are now being done in tights as the pace is so slow I will get cold :¬) (that said I complained of being too warm today)
  • Options
    NP: well done on your double-session in the cold. 

Zion: nice long midweek run - I'm due a 2 hr run tomorrow. Looking forward to it ... NOT! But it's gotta be done.

Yesterday ended up being a non-run day as the fog lingered until late at night. But I did 45mins of strength & core so I didn't feel like a total fraud. Managed to pull something in my butt somehow - trying to run fast this morning was painful. Slow trot worked ok. So, 9 icy miles done at 5am, unfortunately without the threshold bit but it was a) painful and b) too cold.

Hope everyone stays warm image
  • Options
    It's great to see things are picking up on here, with people starting to get focused on their Spring Marathons.

Who's doing what and when?

Mr Spoons - VLM
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Jay,

That's the bit I'm not liking.  Even though I only use my car for commuting I still miss driving.

NP,

Very true.  No matter how bad something is you can usually find someone who is worse off than you.

• Options
    Mr spoons. I am doing Brighton... Cheers
  • Options

Forecast for the weekend is a tropical 6 or 7 degrees. Even I might get back into my shortsimage

chick - I hope there is a Mr chick to rub it betterimage 

Intervals today (had to miss them yesterday in the end, but got a bonus session today as a couple of meetings were cancelled). Decided on 800m reps with 300m recovery...8 sets in all, plus warm up/down either side made 10k in total. Mile pace for the 800s was 6.50's on average (I'm working on the Yasso principle so wanted to do around 3.25 for each 800m). Felt pretty comfortable all the way, so might pick up to 3.40s next time.

Off out tonight for a pre-christmas drink (or two) with my old work colleagues from my last job. So tomorrow will be a rest dayimage

Oh, and I am doing VLM.

• Options

Nice attitude HY4.

I have been wrapping up well chickadee on the basis that I cannot do a decent pace. Was nice to run in the hotel gym yesterday in shorts! Then I had a fantastic cooked breakfast! image .......and a 3 course lunch....and cakes in the afternoon. But then I had to drive back from Edinburgh so did not eat much more.

See you're back to double sessions NP. I've been doing that just to get the miles in on the treadmill. Hope to do a decent run one night this week. I really should get up at 5am.

Hope you enjoy your rest day AGF.

F

• Options

No Pain VLM,

Mr Spoons VLM

Fiona C VLM

Jason VLM

Freemers VLM

Chick VLM

AGF Brighton

• Options
    It was a nice warm -1 here this morning. Did some speed work last night but kept worrying about the frosty bits. Probably rest tonight as I'm knackered after 2 disturbed nights followed by rising at 5 am to take The Teen to work.
  • Options
    They'll be a lot of us at London then. First one to finish gets the first round in then image

Will that be you NP?
  • Options

Malta & Halstead for me early next year.

Not doing London it's an ugly marathon.

• Options

Another one for Jason & Gobi to shake their heads at.

3x 1M off 200m rec's 5:59, 6:00 & 6:25. Oops

To be fair I turned round on the last one and realised why the first two had been easy, probably could have pushed harder for a 6:15'ish but didn't 

Thats 3 hardish days so tomorrow is a easy one.

• Options
    I might be doing Paris but will need your help.

Please could I ask you to look at the Super Six sub 4.15 candidates? image
  • Options

would love to be able to put something on the list image  Well done on the intervals Freeemers, 800's are my favorite session.

Yoga Monday, usual gym session last night, powerplates, 3M treadmill and a swim, working on a massive strength imbalance in my legs.

Packing tonight and tomorrow, not sure if I'm going to take my snorkel image

Hope the bum gets better chick.  Keep safe everybody, take care when running in this weather, don't want to hear of anyone else benched when I get back.

• Options
    Voted hope you get it USB.
  • Options
    Mr KMr K ✭✭✭