Options

The 2010 Marathon Thread

Comments

• Options
    10000 - now that is time wasting image
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    We never had a lot of show to start with and have had none at all for days.

Did hill work tonight, took it easy for 4 reps and then did the last couple at around 5.30 pace(rep is 800 metres) Feeling pretty good which is handy given I have a fitness test tomorrow.

Swimming this evening and my new pull buoy is working well as I did 1200 metres tonight in under 23 mins :¬)
  • Options
    i did 6 miles with the club tonight.  Pace variable as we had a newbie with us but she did well
  • Options

Looks like you were busy last night Mr Spoonsimage

Progressive 11 miles this morning. First mile 9.58 .......last mile 7.55. Really enjoyed the run and the better conditionsimage

Have a good weekend all!

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Bridget,

We still have a bit of snow left.  Think it will have melted by end of today.

• Options

Mr Spoons well done on your 1000image

Gobi looks like we are in the same boat as far as the swimming is going, 54 x 24m for me this morning trying to sort my right leg out as it's got a mind of its own in the waterimage.

USB and Zion well done on your runs, things looking good so far for USBimage 

• Options

Lots of swimming going on....I can't remember when I last got in the pool!

Zion - I like those sorts of runs, always good to finish quicker than you started.

I'll get an outdoor run in later. I'm having to find new routes in London as I don't want to get kettled in with a load of students....my normal route takes me to Westminster! So I'm exploring eastwards - down the Jamaica road (on the VLM route but the opposite direction), a couple of laps of Southwark Park and back makes about 5 miles I think. Should do me for today.

USB - I've seen the other threads too, lots of Bridget votes going in. Fingers crossedimage Although some of the comments about the less frequent posters on the shortlist are a bit harsh - it is hardly their fault that RW put them on the list.

• Options
    Getting faster in the water Gobi - was that time with the pull buoy or swim? (My kick is rubbish so pull is the same speed as full stroke!)

Freemers - best you pop out and buy a new swimming costume. This is a swimming thread after all....

NP - just 15 posts to go....

Rest day for me today. My 6 days a week running is working well and to be honest I don't feel like I need a rest. It's funny what the body gets used to. You were right Gobi, more rest days and my legs feel more tired.

Mrs Spoons is out on the lash again tonight so I'm babysitting. Long run tomorrow.
  • Options

Good to see you running 6 days a week Mr Spoons, especially if you can handle that.

Based on my injuries last year and am following a strict 4 days running each week in the lead up to brighton in the spring. 17 Weeks to go.  I am also following a "get me round" plan, so i will be running less than my failed injured attempt last year. That coupled with more offroad running to avoid some of last years issues will hopefully see me to the start line uninjured. 

So this week has been only 15 Miles running. However I have also done swimming, elliptical, core and gym work on top. I am hoping that this cross training will be less impact than running but also help aerobic and base fitness. We will see. I have one more week before the plan starts ( first week = 15 miles), hence I will do the same next week too so that I will have done week 1 a few times.

Today I did a nice 4 mile run. Was my first run outside for over a week and I enjoyed it. Ran progressively faster loved every minute. A nice glow when I finished.

To keep up with the swimming theme of the thread I plan a swim for Sunday afternoon....

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    I have a new superfast pull buoy ... seriously

Did an LT test today for asthma research
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Good luck to anyone racingthis weekend.
  • Options
    Sounds like a good plan AGF

Gobi - has it got a motor on it or something?

I'm asthmatic - did you learn any secret tips for me?
  • Options

just over 5 mile recovery tonigh, legs feel very good ans feel like lots of speed in them for this stageimage

Gobi I bought a speedo pool bouy and have used it a few times which has helped keep the legs together, i try to use it at the start and finish without it, but this swimming is taking longer than I thought to master and I don't think I will ever be happy with it.

Great running during the week everyone, more long runs coming up now the snow is awayimage.

• Options
    No running today as took a group of scouts to look round the Renault F1 HQ this evening.  Got Bedford Half on Sunday
  • Options
    Scouts sounds as if it's improved from when was a lad USB...
  • Options
    I bet that makes camping more fun too....
  • Options
    Girls in the scouts - that's outrageous!

What next - boys in the brownies?

Madness - where will it all end?
  • Options
    The answer you are looking for mr spoons is "the maternity ward"
  • Options

USB have a good race on Sunday!

NP sounding promising.image Will you be following the same training plan as last year?

Easy 30 minutes this morning.....so the sun is shining and there's no iceimage

Are you doing Buxton tomorrow Mr Spoons?

I won't be joining in the swimming group, hopefully.... always a last resort for me when injured!

• Options
    Hi Zion, I hadn't planned to but it looks like fun and I only live 5 minutes up the road so maybe I should. I don't have a Santa outfit although I do have the hat so maybe that would do...

Will you be there?

I'll speak to Mrs S as it looks like a fun outing for the kids...
  • Options
    It is a lovely little event especially for families. There is a fancy dress competition but not compulsory. If you like cross country you'll love the course. I shall be thereimage
  • Options
    I'm very tempted. The kids are going to nativity rehearsal so it will just be me. I'll decide in the morning how bad the hangover is. Are you dressing up as Santa?
  • Options

Just over 10 miles hill work this morning bringing the week to a close on 70.12 milesimage great to run in no snow or ice and the sun came out so we have tropical temp of 6 here at the momentimage.

Zion yep just a small change here and there but along the same lines build up now until Feb before adding any real pace. Good luck in Buxton tomorrow.

USB good luck with your half tomorrow. When will we find out if you have won?

• Options

Voting closes Thursday lunchtime and hopefully we'll get a call the same day

Just looked inside the water butt and there is a huge ice floe on the top!

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    NP - I hate the swimming really but as I plan one triathlon next year I need to keep going with it. New Pull Buoy is hard plastic and so much more buoyant than my old one, I now want a plastic wetsuit ;¬)

Jogged round Eastleigh with Rach this morning, she got a win and I got a social chat :¬)

Almost went out on the bike but in reality could be bothered and will Turbo in a few hours
  • Options

NP nice milesimage

Mr Spoons no Santa costume for me just my new club vest on it's first outingimage Will look out for you tomorrow in case you make it.

Just finished my Christmas shopping.image Time to think about tonight's Christmas party now......must remember I have  race tomorrow. Thankfully not too early!