Options

for all new runners ..... (part 2)

Comments

• Options

Hi Chocmonster,yeh she is def hardcore,she did a 10k last week in agony with muscle pain.I told her I could never have manged it,mind you,she gets away with it being 10 years younger than me.You will be there sooner than you know it,hey and the more running you do,the more choccy cake you can have.image

Hi Clarkeygirl,dont reckon sanity comes into running.lol.Was bit worried about her revalation of boozing the day before a big run but she managed it,good job she didnt get sick or I would have run off.lol. Wow 14.2 miles is amazing,well done you,I would be really chuffed with that,brilliant time too.I still cant imagin running all that way yet.

• Options

Evening all did some weights today just on the old bingo wings, apparently those who are in the know say its good to mix it up a bit so I'll have to sort out a mini routine to do on alternate days, quite fancy the body pump classes if anyone out there has tried them? Fancy yoga too but hey so many classes & so little time!  Back to the running bit tomorrow but not 14.2 miles Clarkeygirl the crack must have been good  that's all i can say!

• Options
    Hi Chocmonster, I have never done body pump but I do Boxing at a local club,good for fitness and helps with my running (core stability and all that). I have been tonight,I need to do lots of bingo wing work.lol
  • Options

Boxing Eckytump or should i call you Bruno?! Bet that's a great workout though i haven't got a good track record with skipping  was more of a hula hoop kinda kid!  Will make some enquiries at my local sports centre they do a legs, bums & tums thing which sounds like a lot of lying down but its probably more involved than that! off for a run in the rain ..... well gotta be mentally fit too right?

• Options
    Lol,Im much better at Skipping,I keep dropping the hula hoop,we had to do squats last night,they are a killer.Running in the rain,thats dedication.Im def mental,not sure about fit.lol
  • Options

I absolutely love running in the rain image Hope you had a good run choc.

I'm a huge fan of body pump. I'm not doing it at the mo because of the marathon training and the silly hours I'm working also mean that I can't get back to the gym in time. However, with my new job (interview yesterday and they offered it me on the spot WOOHOO) I'll be able to start back again. I went 2-3 times a week and it really helped me when I first started running because my thighs/calves were very strong from all the squats & lunges. Don't think I'd be very good at boxing because I'm not very coordinated image

Yoga / Tai Chi / Body Balance is also very good for runners as it helps to keep our muscles supple and stops them tightening up too much. I used to go to Body Balance straight after Body Pump. I'll be starting that up again too when I get my life back image

A very hard 15 miles for me yesterday. It was supposed to be 20, but I ran out of steam at 15 and walked home. I think I'd used up all of my adrenaline worrying about the job interview. Nevermind. Going to try and hobble a 3 mile recovery today coupled with some stretches.

If's FRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDAY!! Anyone up to anything interesting at the weekend?

• Options

LK you still did amazing,well done on the new job,wohoooooooimage.

I am going for another 10 miler tomorrow,10k race next weekend too.I have my daughters sleepover tonight though so just hoping I get some sleep  or I will struggle tomorrow. Im hoping to do a little run today,will do a nice big hill I think,nothing too long though.

• Options

Oooh good luck for the 10 miler tomorrow Ecky. Take it easy today. Just turn your legs over and get them ready for tomorrow image

I've just come back from a lovely 4.3 miles in the chilly sunshine. I really like this time of year to run in. You get sun but it's chilly. Perfect image It was supposed to be a recovey run, but I felt really good so ended up doing 08:02 min miles, so it turned into a tempo run, hehe. Lots of stretching now followed by a shower and then a bacon butty. Mmmmm!!

Have a lovely day all. Get out there and RUN! xxx

• Options

I decided not to run,just been walking round shops for over an hour sorting party stuff,I am shattered.lol.I must admit,it looks such a lovely day to run,I hope its like this tomorrow.Well done on your run today,I seem to have one pace,SLOW.lol. MMMMMMM bacon buttie,we havin sausage sarnies..

• Options

Yippppeeeeeeeee, we went out for our last long run before tapering and guess what...........11 miles without any walk breaks,wohoooooooooooooooooimage.I am smiling so much.Its taken me over 2 years to be able to get out of walking when I didn't need to,finally my head is sorted.And all that after a sleepover.lol

I hope everyone else has had good weekend.

• Options
    Awesome news Ecky, seriously fantastic. WELL DONE! You can do this image So proud imageimage
  • Options
    Aw,thanks LK,Im so chuffed.I have seen so many people manage it and I have never been able to,this is Mahoosive for me.Hope you have had a good weekend.
  • Options

Cant remember the last time i did a squat ecky doubt id get back up! & fit you def are 11 m & no breaks that must give you a real boost before your race next w'end, best of luck for that in case i miss you during the week , hope the weathers perfect like today.

Lostkat you must be on a high too successful job interview & 15m & all before the weekend you must be beaming! well done now send those good vibes my way please!!!!! thanks for the bp & yoga advice I'm prepped & have penciled in some dates watch this space! My 1st week has been ok mileage is low & slow, it ain't been easy but I've been reading  my 1/2 marathon training diary to keep my spirits up & to remind me how it felt 1st time round which i can experience allover again...... oh joy!!!!!  I'd die if someone found it I've wrote everything in it which seems a bit obsessional am i alone or does everyone do this?  

• Options
    Hi Chocmonster,Im not very good at squats,did tonnes of them tonight too,OUCH.Did lots of work on the bags too which is brill if you mad at someone.Thanks too,the EDF is not till 24th Oct but got a 10k on Sun as part of training,really hoping for a pb in that one.I hope the weather is like yesterday too,it was just perfect.
  • Options

Helllloooooooooooo,anybody there.I got a PB to share,just did a very muddy soggy 10k and managed 1.00.28,yipppeeeeee and I ran it solid,oh and didnt fall on me bum.image

I hope everyone else is ok.

• Options
    Hi Eckytump it looks as if its been a bit tumbleweed the last few days so belated 10k pb!! I'm not as adventurous as you i like to stick to the roads but should probably mix it up to save my knees!  Ive been away for a few days so my last run was 7 days ago! I'm crawling the walls because i seen loads of people running whilst away which made me pang with guilt!  I'm out tonight which should be lovely after a warm day cant wait!!!! Sad? Very!!!
  • Options
    I know,everyone has run away,hope its somewhere nice.Im still smiling,how sad am i.lol.It was such good fun though.I do lots of softer runs to preserve my knees I must admit. Hope your run went well.I know when we were on Holiday in Devon we saw people racing and I was desperate to join them.
  • Options

Hello! It's been a while since i've posted, mainly because i went through my own mini meltdown, lol, however, all is well now and it's been nice to read up on what i missed.

Well done on the new job, LK, you must have had a fantastic interview if you got offered it on the spot, congratulations, i hope you love it!

Ecky, 11 milesssss! Yus! Well done! And a personal best on a 10k thats great! You sound like you've had a really good few weeks.

(i've just realised that i use FAR too many exclamation marks, and as a result look really excited!! All of the time!!!)

Chocmonster- I like the idea of keeping a training diary, i bet it's really motivational, and i very much doubt you are/were alone in keeping one. I might have to start one too...

Well my past few weeks have been... erm... moderately poo. Asthma decided to flare up and put me out of training for a week or so, amongst other things. However, this week has been ok- a (very, very, slow and walk filled) unplanned 12 miles, and a 10k. Went to the gym and got a personal plan done for me to strengthen core muscles and legs, so may give that a shot tomorrow...

Got my pack in the post for Bham Edf half; Am VERY excited. (and quite nervous)

• Options
    Hi Clarkeygirl,sorry to hear you have been having a tough time of it,hope all is ok now for you.Thank you too,yes things have been going ok lately(makes a change for me.lol). Dont be worried about the EDF you will be amazing,you have been doing some good runs.I do a lot of core work and it has helped me so much.
  • Options

A very belated well done on your PB Ecky, that's great work. You're doing the EDF half too aren't you? Feeling ready??

Got my pack through on Friday too Clarkeygirl. Should be a good one. Not sure if my legs will have recovered by then, but I'll run it with a friend who's doing her first HM if not image

Ran my 2nd marathon today - Leicester Marathon. Had a bit of a crappy run, but ended up with 4:22:44, which I'm still happy with. Had a cold bath afterwards which was awful, but helps with recovery (apparently). Felt OK when I got home and mowed the lawn, but then decided to go to bed for a bit. My legs are stiff as anything now. Owwww!!!! Day off work tomorrow though. Hooray!!

• Options
    Thanks LK,HUGE well done on you Marathon,I think thats a really good time.How are the legs now?Im sure you will be good for the half,Im so exited now.I must admit,this is the first time I have out the training in.I did 9 miles on Weds and will just do 6 on Sun,then good rest with just a couple of little plods next week.Im pretty confident now that I will be able to run it all,gosh did I just say that.lol
  • Options

Well done LK. I hope your legs do recover by sunday. Ecky, i am sure you will be able to run it all. image

Trainings gone brilliantly this past week, Not been out for too many runs, but the ones i did felt brilliant. Don't know if it's the change in weather, change in routine or change in attitude that's done it, but i just really enjoyed the running this week. I hope it stays this way for sunday. image And on that note; Arrrrggghhhhh, it's next sunday! Cant wait!

• Options

Hi Guys.

Not long now!! This time next week and it'll all be done image

My legs have fully recovered. Unfortunately my big toe nails have not. I got blisters under both of them during the marathon and have been in quite a lot of pain with them. They started getting better Friday, until I went out for my 30th birthday on Saturday and my friend stood on them... THREE TIMES. My GOD it hurt (I yelped quite loudly and it made me cry image) and they're painful again today. Really hoping they don't stay like this as I don't want to have to pull out. Boooo! Other than that, I've had a fab weekend image

Well done on your last long run Ecky. You are going to blitz this. Just remember to go at your own pace and stay focussed in your head. You CAN do this and I fully believe that you will.

Glad your training has also gone well Clarkeygirl. You'll be fine on Sunday, don't worry image

Have a lovely week all!

• Options
    Thanks  LK, Im so exited about it now,I think its cos I know that for once,I have trained properly and not just messed around.I did 6.5 yesterday with a new running buddy (my old one is poorly sick image .She is a good little runner and we kept a good pace,did lots of hills too so I reckon I have that cracked.I am now being very good and carb loading,will run tomorrow and that will be it till Sun (apart from a walk into town for breccie weds.lol) Ouch too,the toe thing sounds awful,I hope you better for Sun.Happy 30th Bday too,oh I wish I was 30 again,it seems so young now.lol.I hope you got spoiled rotten.
  • Options
    Hello 3 amigos!!!! (clarkeygirl,lostkat & eckytump) wow you all sound prepped & ready for this Sunday good luck & have a great day.  I'm green with envy image over your running blogs my last run was 6 days ago due to a cold I've borrowed from a friend!  its soooo frustrating i have to take breaks in between getting dressed that's how much its wiped me out  & still I'm obsessing about getting out, mad huh? 
  • Options

3 amigos,love it.lol. Sorry you feeling poorlyimage Chocmonster,I know a lot of it is going round.It has wiped out a lot of the people I know who are racing Sun,just hoping they will be OK.I dont think you are mad,you are just a runner.I could cry when I am injured and cant run,I just want to get out so badly,just take time to recover and your running blog will soon be full of runs.image

I am happy to have escaped the cold so far,really exited about tomorrow,complete rest and early night,I will be wearing a Tamworth AC vest Tomorrow and will have a tiny Iggle Piggle in my running belt,I hope I get chance to say Hi.

• Options

Listening to you guys has made me realise that i need to enter an event probably before Christmas, something to aim for to see how I'm doing and to remember what is like to need the loo 50 times before starting etc, etc.  I'll have to scan the events bit, Eckytump i hope the others pick you out at Birmingham although keeping the 3 amigos theme i think you all should wear sombreros! well for the line up at least!!!!  Lostkat i hope your toes are much better after your marathon but your ice bath sounded just as painful ouch!!  ps, can i ask you after a marathon do you attempt to drive home or do you have someone on chauffeur duty?

• Options
    Having a race gives you something to aim for,I love races as they have such a good atmosphere. Im guna google and get some sombreros for future races.lol.I reckon that would be a brill idea,could get one for Iggle too,he wore bright pink sweats for the GNR.
  • Options
    Ecky you dressed as iggle in pink sweats with a sombrero now were talking! Then we'd pick you out no problem! You'd def have a clear path for your run that is for sure!!
  • Options
    Lol,funny you should say that,Hubby is guna wear a life sized one for the Great Midlands next year,its got the proper full head and everything.He carried Cammies big Iggle this year and the little kids all shout for him.He is thinking of holding balloons and handing the out on the way round as its only a fun run,he can walk it.