Options

Moraghan Coaching - kaysdee

Comments

• Options
    Not yet. I hope to get there tomorrow or Wednesday ... Finally! Some new music will be a welcome distraction.
  • Options
    Things a moving in the right direction as I've just done 6m @ 8.26. Pace is faster than before, but effort fine and have to bear in mind I am extremely "rested". A week or two at normal mileage and I wouldn't expect to see anything under 8.30. Toe felt a bit dodgy initially, but seems ok now. Physio tomorrow so we'll see what he thinks.
  • Options
    Sounds promising Kelly. Good luck. I'm off to the gym in a bit for an hour on the eliptical.can't take anymore daytime telly!
  • Options
    Sorry Mrs d, missed your question. Haven't really changed anything much. Just one of those things I suspect
  • Options
    Same for me, Dash. If anything I was doing way less than usual, these things sometimes just happen.

Enjoy the gym... if anyone ever really enjoys the gym. I did 60 mins on the eliptical on Friday - I had to change directions every 10 mins as I thought I was going to die from boredom. I almost broke a sweat image
  • Options
    So, my foot was quite sore the day after the 6 miler, verging on limping again. I took a rest day and had my physio appointment on Wednesday. He felt everything was still progressing well and re-taped my foot.

Yesterday was a cautious 3m and it felt so so, not perfect, but not awful. Today I am happy to report that with a bit more diligence on icing, etc, it felt fine today and I did 4m with no problems or dodgy feelings at all.

I'll do parkrun tomorrow, then take Sunday off... when I should have been doing Brass Monkey, cry image

I'm going to York anyway, so at least we'll get a child free weekend away.
  • Options
    Mr KMr K ✭✭✭
    kaysdee (Kelly) wrote (see)
    ....I'm going to York anyway......
    image It`s nice there you know.. image
  • Options
    If it's even half as windy in York as it is here in Nottingham it would not have been PB weather anyway!
  • Options
    CC2 - I think I might have cried if I'd had to race a HM in that. It was horrendous and that was just walking around. Blessing in disguise!

Mr K - it certainly is. Especially when you take the long way to get to places... I don't have any smilies other than image

We got married there, you know. We just discussed renewing our vows this September with the kids as it's our 10th. No, I haven't been checking race calendars to see if I'll be missing out on any races <whistles innocently>

parkrun went fine yesterday. Blowing a total gale even then, very, very tough, but I did a cheeky 21.25. Coincidentally I think I ran that time on the first event two years ago. There was a presentation where I received a lovely glass, laser etched ornament and £20 in Adidas vouchers for coming 3rd in the points table. I think I'd have been first if I hadn't had the sf last year. I'll try not to get reinjured this year! I love parkrun image

Did 6m in total and took today off and thankfully no reactions at all before, during, or after, like I did on the 6m on Tuesday. I've been making it up myself for the past few weeks at my request, so I'm waiting to see if Moraghan wants to set me anything from now on.
  • Options
    Should add it was the 2nd anniversary event. I'm not special and wasn't the only one who got something image
  • Options
    Right, 8m on Monday and was pretty much ok, but did feel the strain right at the end of the run. Probably got a virtual slap from Moraghan and he told me to do no more than 5 for tues and weds. Again, it was "ok", but I can still feel it.

It doesn't want to give up. It isn't awful, but even walking around, if I turn my foot wrong, I still get that flash around the ball of my foot and middle toe and other times, a dull ache. It feels on the edge of a niggle and an injury. It has been coming up to 4 weeks now, I've tried rest, ice, ibuprofen, I can manage shorter, frequent runs, but anything long would probably change from discomfort to hurt.

Frustrating!

Abandoned the Dewsbury 10k next weekend, please let me make Trafford in March... although, I'd probably run like 43 mins at this stage! Well off form. Blah.
  • Options

kelly, in a similar position myself. managed my third run yesterday since having my shin splints diagnosed. 6 miles on flat grass which followed a 2 and a 4 with 2 days rest between each.i have this dull ache which wont go away but as such isn't preventing me running.

i am keeping to this surface/distance/rest period until my leg feels the same as the other one. bloody frustrating as a few days before this happened i cranked out 5 x 1 mile with 1 minute rest in (if memory serves) under 6.10's which for me was probably my quickest yet. oh well, if i've done it before..

• Options
    Sounds like you are both doing well coming back from injury. I admire your attitude towards the injuries ( if I get injured then you would think the world has ended)!!
    Dash- shin splints can be frustrating but sounds like you are going to be back to quality workouts soon, if you have been x training then you won't have lost much fitness. I managed FLM after having shin splints and only aqua jogging and cycling as training.
    Kelly- are you still seeing the physio and is he still thinking its extensor tendinosis? Don't know much about it but is it a slow journey back? Icing is good, in fact I normally dip both legs into freezing cold water after most runs to minimise any damage ( I am like an old lady with all my running induced aches and pains)!!
  • Options
    Mr KMr K ✭✭✭
    kaysdee (Kelly) wrote (see)
    ....It doesn't want to give up. It isn't awful, but even walking around, if I turn my foot wrong, I still get that flash around the ball of my foot and middle toe and other times, a dull ache. It feels on the edge of a niggle and an injury. It has been coming up to 4 weeks now, I've tried rest, ice, ibuprofen, I can manage shorter, frequent runs, but anything long would probably change from discomfort to hurt.

Frustrating!

I know that feeling.

I thought I was good - not run since Jan 1 & had 4 sessions of physio. It felt a lot better & did what we agreed - a good warm up then a light jog.....On Saturday morning before marshalling at parkrun I walked one lap (1.5M in 24 mins), then jogged the same lap in 17 mins, then jogged to & from my marshalling point. And in the afternoon the shin tendon felt tight as it ever was. So I`ve rearranged my `last` physio session to this Thursday night (& now not calling it that), with back-up Doctors appointment on Friday morning booked in.

• Options
    Things have regressed here too image

Did 5m on sat fine. It was absolutely freezing so couldn't really feel much of anything anyway. I didn't like the way it felt walking around yesterday so didn't do the 6m I had planned. It felt a little bit better this morning, so kitted out to run after dropping the kids off... Got precisely 179ft and it was really sore. Limping, sharp pain, so I stopped immediately and walked to the gym - I was flipping cold!

Did an hour on the XT and I was barely aware of it, so it seems to be an impact issue, or I feel it if I try to go on my tip toes. If I'm on the ball of my foot it is ok, but if I flex to push on the toe, ouch. 4 weeks today :-/. I'm wondering if it is a nerve thing because there have been a few occasions where it has felt numb, or pins and needles. I see him again on Wednesday, so we'll see what he says.

I did stop taking ibuprofen on Thursday night. That may be related, but I didn't think it was a good idea to take it so much. Guess I'll try it again.

Here's hoping we all have a miraculous recovery ASAP.

Mr K - I suppose it is more frustrating for you. I know I felt the same with my ITB injury when I fully rested for weeks and within half a mile of my first run back it was exactly the same. At least I have been minimally running, whether or not that is a good or a bad thing for the injury, there is probably no way to tell.
  • Options
    XT again on Tuesday for an hour, borrrring, especially as I forgot my iPod.

Physio yesterday and he's not really sure what it is as it doesn't make any sense with the way it is presenting. He recommends an MRI, but that will be £££. Taped my foot again, released all the tension in my foot and calf and it felt better.

I was surprised that he suggested a run today as I thought he'd solder a week's rest. Whatever he did has temporarily worked, although I can still feel it, it is nothing more than a nuisance, not pain, so managed an easy 5 this morning with no ill effects. Same underlying discomfort as usual.

I'm sure I'll be on a cycle of maintaining a low level of running, deteriorating and repeat. The most I've managed is 23m a week, the others like 17 and 9. Fun times.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear things not going so well Kelly. When I see a new post from you I hope it is good news.
  • Options
    Thanks. How are you getting on? What is next for you?

Solder? Ha, that should be order.
  • Options

I have a half in March and then VLM. But I'm most excited about having entered my first ultra, a 40 miler, in July. Training been going well, legs  starting to niggle a bit now but should be on track for my first 80 mile week this week.

You sound like you are managing to deal with things ok,  I don't deal very well with injury so I really sympathise with you. Fingers crossed for you that you have a sudden improvement. 

• Options
    I just have to pretend it doesn't bother me, otherwise I'll go insane. Deep down though, I'm thinking of all the progress and races I'm missing out on and dreading how long it's going to take to get back to where I was.

The worst thing is if I can't run, I am completely unmotivated to do anything, so going to the gym is twice the chore and I put it off. Like I should have went this morning, I know there is still time, but sitting at home seems much more appealing.

In other news, I haven't had any chocolate, biscuits, or anything nice since Sunday night! Not running 60 miles a week means I couldnt keep eating the way I was. Boo hoo. I think I'm coming down from the sugar high, but I really want to dig into the remaining selection box chocolate... yes, I'm amazed we still have some image

Mr K - how did the physio go?
  • Options
    Forgot to say, good luck! I'm sure with that kind of mileage you'll be on for some cracking times in your other distances. Are you slowing most of your mileage down? What structure does your week have now?
  • Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    Kelly – Sorry to hear that you still have injury troubles. On the plus side just think how quickly you came back last year and started smashing those PBs. And this time you’ll have kept up some running so will be starting from a better position. Hope it sorts itself out soon.
  • Options
    Lotte - is it Garioch you're doing by any chance? Or Inverness?
  • Options

Hi Duck, yes its Inverness, I've also entered Aberdeen 10k in May, are you doing either? . Hows your training going?

Kelly - I'm loosely following P&D 70 - 85mpw schedule. Keeping their midweek long of 15 miles, the suggested speedwork which has mostly been MP or HMP so far and their LSRs. The rest of the mileage I am more flexible with and doing doubles maybe 2/3 times a week, such as 10 miles am and 3 miles pm. And as you say keeping the pace for most runs very easy. I have never ran a good half marathon race yet (pb 1.32 to my marathon pb of 3.12)  so would love that to come out of my marathon training but thats not the A goal at the moment. So many people I know are injured at the moment that just getting to the start of any race would be a bonus!  My party trick is usually a good block of training and then an injury strikes before I get to the race start!

• Options

I'm track racing this year Lotte so I won't be doing either, but I imagine I'll be at Baker Hughes to support. No way am I paying that entry fee again!

If you follow P&D you can't go too far wrong and if BH has a good weather day then you'll fly round. Training's going well thanks, some good races so far this year and I'm racing in the 800m tomorrow in the University Champs in Glasgow. 

• Options
    I did abandon my nice warm and comfy seat yesterday for another 5m, felt even less than the day before, so hopefully this is progress!

Did a very cold parkrun ths morning, intending 3m steady, but if felt pretty easy so ended up 1m steady and 2m MP, with the jog from and to the car to top it to another 5. That all felt great, I am daring to hope that I might be on the other side of the injury now. What a difference a few days makes. I really think the taping is the key. Every time it comes off, I have a setback. Rest day tomorrow, which seems well timed looking and listening to the weather outside.

Starting to feel a bit happier now. See what Moraghan has in store for me next week. I noted in my spreadsheet yesterday that I intended some form of pace today and he made no comment, but that could be because he didn't see it... hope I don't get wrong, or have another flare up that will warrant "what did you go and do that for?!" image
  • Options
    Fingers crossed!

You do seem rather plagued by these random injuries. Any ideas what caused this one?
  • Options
    No idea! It's not like it was something that progressed and I ignored it and pushed it too far as it was fine one day and not the next, completely out of the blue.

I was actually having a good streak. ITB in 2009, the stress fracture early last year and then nothing until this, so I guess if I can keep it to one injury a year, I should have a good 11 months image

The only thing I can think is that I missed about 4 or 5 weeks of the gym due to illness and my mileage was pants, maybe the couple of weeks prior to it starting were too much of a jump back, but it didn't feel it at the time.

Seems I haven't missed too much as Dewsbury has just been cancelled due to the snow. I would have been frustrated if I'd been in shape and travelled there. Hopefully I can make the Trafford 10K in mid March. I'll be well off top form, but I'll give it a go.

How are things going with you? Settling into marathon training? Do you have any targets?
  • Options
    Well, I was. But now the snow has come so this week could be tricky. Praying it goes away quickly!

Targets? Of course! Who doesn't?! Nothing greedy though. Sub 3.10 for the marathon, a PB for the HM along the way, and I really do need to finally nail that sub 40 10k in March.
  • Options

Kelly - sounding promising on the injury front. Keeping fingers x'd for you. I am sure you will get back into it quick enough. Did you get a bollocking from M by the way??image

CC2 - Sound like modest targets for you considering your HM results?? Do you find the 10k more difficult?

Lotte32-good luck for VLM, it will be very different to your last marathon with people to dodge not sheep!! image No party tricks leading up to April. Do you train in full waterproofs as it always seems to be raining over your way when I watch the weather forecasts? I can't run in the rain.....or the wind. Will look out for you at Inverness as I will be there (weather permitting of course)!!