Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    A couple of cracking performances today then. Matt seems you sometimes pull something out when you do a more casual race, or more casual approach anyway. stunning time, well done.

SG, I was rather envious reading your report, wishing I'd been fit and running today. Would have been a good one, I've not managed to beat Graham yet or the Aussie. Nice running.

Looks like Rob Corney is flying, he stole a couple of my CRs the other day as well. 

I had another little run out today, just to my Mum's to collect my bike. I was getting some pain and twinges in the achilles. Not sure I will risk any XC now.
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Pete, SG, ML, great runs, races and as usual the particularly high standard of reporting.
    As I've chuntered on before, reading the race reports puts some of us lesser racers right in the mix. Good stuff.

Matt, the daily miles build up is under way, again. I must be getting more interested as despite the crap conditions I'm soon to be heading out.

Reg, hopefully that ankle sorts itself out soon. The last time I turned one over, I was compromised for over a year. Strained the achilles too; I guess that's because the achilles takes more strain without the ligaments holding things together.

🙂

• Options

Brilliant running Pete, SG, ML - And sorry to bring the side down, but I was a bit crap on Saturday - report won't be much cop either, but here goes.

First thing step in dog shite..great. Start is about 3/4 mile incline - feeling good at this point, in about 30-40th (I was really chuffed with 38th last time out), so not too bad..V50 superstar Ben Reynolds just infront, so that's OK. Then it started going downhill, in reality and metaphorically, there follows a half mile downhill on a quite a flinty path and it just stared killing my legs, was blowing by the time I got to the bottom. Then its a 1/3 of a mile flat quite muddy and a short sharp hill back up to the top, then a right turn with a long 3/4 mile down and around to the start finish. It's here and the flinty path where I lose places..few Clapham Chasers going past me...must be in trouble LOL.

So through the start finish and then keep my place up the incline. Lose a few more places down the flinty path for a 2nd time, hold my place up the steep hill. Manage a get past a couple down to the finish, by now my guts are close to going, so know something isn't right. Finish in 56th, 5/10 performance, I would have been about 40th a couple of years ago, really strong field.

Sunday run was a 3 mile decent pace until I had to stop to rearrange clothing, then a 7 mile tempo up to Wing (village nr LB) then back home again. Felt quite good, although a couple of twinges from my left leg - which now properly hurts after this mornings run to work (hammy/hip flexor stuff)..will have to see how that goes..

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I think that may be right, Ric. I was thinking the same thing as I was running, about the achilles and slowed things down a little. I've been doing quite a lot of DIY rehab, stretching and strengthening. It's quite a good injury to rehab because you can just lift your foot up as you're sat down and do the exercises.

Hope it's nothing serious SC.
  • Options
    WoolWool ✭✭✭
    That's some running at the XC SG with some good scalps taken. 

Pete, you are quite something over those XCs. 

Looking at the photos I'm pleased I stayed home and played FIFA18 with my son. I have had a talk to myself and I listened for once. All marathon plans for the spring are off so should see the local boys at some shorter races over the next couple of months. Well, see you on the start line at least. Gone are the days when I turned around to see Pete behind me at Swallowfield (you were running the du in fairness!).
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Get along to Tadley Woolmeister, we need you.
    Won't be such a mad slog as yesterday! The photos I've seen don't seem to nearly do the sheer boggy mud justice!

Shame on the marathons in one way, but great news if you're around for more local stuff, and presumably relays?
  • Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Thanks Wool; horses for courses I guess. I'm very impressed by how your best HM times have improved to where I've always felt mine should have reached (your sub 82 being over 2 mins quicker than my best) and even more so that you stuck at marathons and eventually got sub 3 whereas I never ran one after FLM 2009 which was a relatively poor 3'18. Yes, remember  Swallowfield when I was not far behind your front group of runners; predictably I ran the long run too quick and paid for it in the bike leg and 2nd run!

Oh to be like Simon where being just behind a runner like Ben Reynolds is 'a bit crap' ;) 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Ben Reynolds, not to mix up with Bryn Reynolds, who i remember as a forumite having various "sub" threads, starting at sub 35, and quickly going down!
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    ... and who also beat Simon on Saturday!
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Anyway, let's start with excellent racing from SG.  Having constantly heard from SG how this course, where I do my cross country training was just some random park, it was gratifying to see his expectations of flat dry football fields torpedoed with a nice muddy slog.  Still, very much rising to the challenge, and that's an excellent performance, taking some good scalps, that must give you some confidence going into Wokingham.  Disappointed to hear that you soiled our bushes though.

Pete, sounds a very decent team and individual performance.  You might as well come and live in Woodley now since you're there all the time.

Matt, well that's some pretty impressive stuff given it wasn't a target race or a PB effort, and bodes well for some very tasty times indeed this year.  Still think you need some focus to your training though to really get the top-end times out.  Still, great stuff, and I look forward to you lowering that PB pretty soon.

Simon, to be fair it does look a bit off where you ought to be.  It happens, I'm sure you still scored valuable points anyway.  Given the amount of races you do, some of them are mathematically guaranteed to be comparatively poor!

I was at the Hampshire League in Reading on Saturday.  Same course as we ran for the Berkshire Champs, but missing the final 2.2K (ish) loop.  With placings of 26th and 39th (!) in this league so far (plus twice 3rd vet), I've been underperforming, so work to do.  Unfortunately, I've been partly underperforming because I've been training through the races, as I did this week with 64miles run in the week before I toed the line.

Fairly mediocre start means I need to pick my way through a bit.  Main competitor is Alex from Basingstoke, who is leading the V40 standings.  We are side by side through first lap and a bit, but I start to pull away on the steep uphills, and manage to open up a gap over him.  From there, it's a gradual process of clawing back places.  I spy Graham R ahead, which surprised me a little as I didn't know he was there, but he's the next target.  Up alongside him and past.  Then it's a Reading AC chap who used to be way behind me, but then out of the blue started beating me all the time.  Past him and onwards.  Well into the last lap now, and the next target is a distinctive Bournemouth runner who is usually a good yardstick, with a couple of sprightly AFD youngsters.  Get past Bournemouth, but can't catch the Aldershots.  I fear the reappearance of Alex to snatch my V40 win, so I put in a sprint for the line.  In the event, it wasn't him who was close behind but Ben P of both my and Simon's clubs, but I've finished before I realise that.  19th overall and first vet, so definitely an improvement.  Club won the vets team as well, and we now look pretty unassailable at the top of the table.

One of those strange races where you're pretty pleased to start off with, but on further reflection it wasn't as good as I thought.  XC results are a little disorientating.  Got back ahead of people who've been beating me all season, but then someone who has never beaten me is suddenly 30 seconds ahead.  Also, the time is a bit crap - 33:34, whereas I went through in 32:50 at the Berkshire Champs and then did another lap.  A mimute down on last year too, when I was still in that sub-70 shape.  But still, it's been a high mileage week, so that's fine.

One of my clubmates making his Hampshire League debut came 4th, which must be the best club performance ever by some distance.  He thought it was just 'OK'.  He then went on to win the Thames Valley League the next day.  I have well and truly lost my crown as the club's top man I fear.  I reckon this guy has a 14:30 5K in him one day.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

That is the XC conundrum to a tee Dachs! Always hard to sift through all the "extra" scenarios going on. I mentioned 3 scenarios In my report, but one of your boys Seb Briggs was 4 secs ahead of me. He's a 1hr 14 half, 2.37 full guy. Am I close to that level then? Course not!

You also mention the high mileage, that's going to affect things, and it's always hard to compare years!

Pete, due to us miscalculating Seb's age (ie, I misread PO10, whoops), we were actually 2nd men's team. Still 1st overall at the event, but it now puts us 1point behind Windle in the men's trophy. It was Reading's home fixture, which naturally brought out more big guns (bar the big man from the thread!)

It does bring the slightly farcical scoring system into play, as Windle, Reading and SJ all came joint 2nd!

Simon, it seems incredible to read of one of your 700 races per year not being full on! All good racing, and i'm sure you'll be out and about very soon!

• Options
    WoolWool ✭✭✭
    Pete, in my eyes one always had to have a sub 18 5k, a sub 38 10k, a sub 85 hm and a sub 3 to be a decent runner. That's what kept me going. In all honesty I'm now at a bit of a loss. Unlikely to get much quicker and not decent at all by the standards (at 44) of this thread so deciding what to do. Worryingly close to trying triathlon actually. 

I really enjoy the XC reports on here, always have. I love the way Pete you can beat the likes of our club Cap Sean off-road when I think you'd struggle a little more on it. SG, I think you are in better shape than you'd like to admit and coming in to form nicely with some racing bringing you on after that long, dedicated training period.

SG - sorry, just can't abide by those all day TVXC things starting at 11, always miles away. And please, I know Tadley is horrendous!!
  • Options
  • Options
    Wool said:

SG - sorry, just can't abide by those all day TVXC things starting at 11
    Have to agree, 11 is a silly start time. I got up, drove to a few miles out to the country, did 2 hours 20 up hill and down dale and was back home by 11.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

Haha fair does. And I must admit, the "Novelty" of doing a series of these, after so long not doing many, combined with turning out for a great gang, has turbo charged my attitude to them. I can certainly see why you don't  necessarily fancy them right now.

Never say never on getting quicker, but if you are in temporary malaise, this is the time to embrace the relays, the XC, the random stuff that isn't a direct comparison to your best.

The recent quality sessions in company have got me back used to that "going off hard" from the start mentality, especially against a faster guy in Mr Samson, and that probably bore fruit yesterday.

6&4 today, surprising lack of tightness.

I look forward to pyramids tomorrow, hungry for it. See you there.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps Phil, that is your best find of all time! Have nabbed that for the FB group (while referencing you of course :) )

ps I love the 11am start. Getting up 6am all year round, I savour the 8am wakeup!!

• Options
    WoolWool ✭✭✭
    The sprint finish was good. The dicking around on the start line less so!

I am in Norway, so no DD session for me tomorrow. Enjoy the coach park but be careful. That is an unforgiving surface and the turns very tight.

Relays would be good SG but might be tough for me to get in this year. Looks like I'd even have to 'qualify' for the v45 team!
  • Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Motoring there SG! 

Dachs, for the last 9 months I've never had as much focus to my training. :-) 

i shouldn't be annoyed but I am now that I've looked at the results for yesterday's half. On PO10 very runner has got a gun/chip difference at the front end of a minimum of 3 seconds, some more. Because my chip didnt register and I gave the time on my watch the lad who finished behind me has a chip time that's quicker than mine even though he started in front of me and finished behind me. 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Wool said:
    The sprint finish was good. The dicking around on the start line less so!

I am in Norway, so no DD session for me tomorrow. Enjoy the coach park but be careful. That is an unforgiving surface and the turns very tight.

Relays would be good SG but might be tough for me to get in this year. Looks like I'd even have to 'qualify' for the v45 team!

Haha, oh dear...I could write a whole report on that...

You''ll notice I repeatedly look to my side at a guy in green. I don't know if he was running late and had to put a maximum sprint on to get there, but his breathing was "collapse" mode. Even through the minute's silence! Everyone was thinking, are you ok mate, are you going to be ok to race this?!

That and some pre race bantz with Dominic "insane fast starter" Reed from Handy Cross about the real race being to the first bank, and despite a lot of watch touching, I still managed to set off without the watch loaded!

I had to walk across the whole start line, as I didn't want to barge in. Mike from Bracknell was giving me a "get back" gesture, which I (probably wrongly) misinterpreted  as him saying, get off row 1 you chump, you aint worthy :)

Coach park, I've jogged across it once, I presume someone lays some sort of boundary out, as otherwise it must be a free for all for the corner cutters etc. Compete with James, not let anyone else try and steal the food off my table is the plan :)

Don't worry about the relays, you know how it'll be. Everyone is super keen now, but then nearer the time, you'll probably be snapped up with thanks!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Unlucky on the chip Matt. At least you didn't drop out of the results entirely, that'd be the main worry, at least for a front starter like you.

Chip comes off mid pack and you're screwed!

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Wool; interesting "decent runner" yardsticks and would pretty much agree. I've acheived your 5k, 10k and HM 'decent runner's times with a bit to spare now but am a long way off on the marathon. Always said never again and have kept to that for 9 years but should I be thinking again before it really is too late? 

SG/Phil; for the men's is this right?If Datchet win the last 2 they win it. WV need a win in 1 and no worse than 2nd in the other (assuming Datchet win it). If WV get a win and a 3rd or worse then it's a tie (as WV's currently discarded 3rd would come in to save them if worse than 3rd).
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yep that sounds right pete. They should deffo tweak the scoring to differentiate a bit more so that's its less likely to have tied places i think.
  • Options

Nice finish there SG - Mind the camera eh! Thanks for the comments on the xc - to be fair, I always have a couple of crap ones a year. One Surrey league match last year and the national was a half injured cock up!

I think I might train through them now tbh. Luckily enough to talk to John Gilbert on the way down to Coulsdon and the Kent boys usually train through them, but they have swapped their harder session to a Tuesday now as they are in a fight with Hercules Wimbledon to win the title this year. Our team manager said he used to train through them, plus he sets a hill session on a Thursday anyway!

Hip seems to be OK now ta Reg. Did a bit of the Oregon project stretching stuff and it seems to be better, especially the side plank thing with legs up on the bottom stair. You sort of move your top arm and leg together 15 times on both sides. No Luton tonight, going for 8 x 1k over regents Pk instead at lunchtime

• Options
    I always love the talk of XC and scoring systems and that "Come along, everyone scores and everyone counts" mentality. Never sure if it is naivety, ignorance or hope. 

As an example, Sunday TVXC at Reading. Datchet second for men behind Reading 74 points to 71. If you want to change that score then Datchet last scorer was a vet in 33rd place who is a sub-80 half guy. The vet behind him was 61st so that would have added 28 to the score (the maths is approximate) and Windle were 158 points so that is still second overall.

Ladies were much closer, Sandhurst 21, Datchet 52, Windle 53 and TVT 80 so a place here or there for the top ladies could impact the score, but the top 5 ladies teams were all done and dusted by the 35th runner home so again you need to be in the top 35 to make any impact at the sharp end.

Odd that Marlow Striders can field a team of 4 men so have the only 2 penalties of the day and every other team are full and yet they still beat Metros who had a full team. Basically, Marlow could have fielded zero men and still beaten Metros (in fact it is pretty close to them being able to field zero men and only 3 ladies and still not come last).
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    This is why you aren't team manager phil :):)

It's along the lines of when i was captain for a footy team. The manager would sometimes rotate, and id wonder what he was doing, instead of just playing the best eleven each week.

Come end of season with a few injuries etc, the squad players were still keen and around, having been kept involved with games throughout.

If you just concentrate on the best 6, more than likely your best 6 won't turn up every week and youll find you need to rely on the others.
    If youve not boosted them up, you may find they lose interest and you could find 
    yourself in penalty point terrain. 
    Perhaps not as relevant across the top 2 teams but the "knock others down" element is very true as well as encouraging a great team spirit.

3places off reading is a shame. Mr lee was ahead of  james until a stitch saw him 6th. Thatd have been 3extra places and at worst equal, at best the win(probably the win if reading had someone 3rd to 5th.
    However, i nicked at least two places so its swings n roundabouts
  • Options
    I suspect of the 400 runners at least 300 of them are more interested in taking photos of their muddy legs to look like heroes to their sedantry friends, rather than the nuances of the scoring system.

My only interest is keeping in the top 10. So far in 13 TVXC appearances I have finished in every position except 1st and 9th. I think 9th is a lot more likely next time out.
  • Options
    WoolWool ✭✭✭
    Pete - yes you should. You can't leave things with that 3:18 blemish on your record!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    It'll be interesting if the numbers drop off in the last races like other years.
    The overall numbers have certainly gone up

From a quick scan back, from the races i've done, the highest numbers have gone like this
    2006 -08   268
    2009          287
    2010          343
    2013           408
    2017           477

But some of the late Jan/Feb races
    2006       169
    2009        166
    2010        167
    2011        248

Position wise you can see fair swings, as there really are that many clubs with so many runners associated

My best runs of positions were
    2012/13   3rd to 6th in 3 races
    2013/14  6th to 11th in 4 races

This year is 13,15,8

Probably only the last one felt a proper hard race effort, but, it just takes a few extras who weren't there this weekend, or a slightly fresher run from others, and can easily creep back into the mid 10s. 
    You never get everyone turn up though, especially later on.

• Options
    You have to say it's a great success TVXC. I wonder if they will have to look at capping numbers at some point.

I think you should probably sort that marathon out Pete, you should have a sub 3 on your CV really. Still it's better than SGs PB ;)

I got out at lunch for just over 7 miles. The ankle is still a little sore in one spot so I was just taking it easy along the river when a dog came past followed by its owner. He had a slightly ungainly running style and having sized him up I decided I couldn't let it go.

So after following for a mile or so I decided to go past. I then ended up running alongside his dog which was unnerving. Running along a towpath with a dodgy ankle and a dog at your ankles seemed like a recipe for disaster so I upped the pace again.  I've gone from cruising at 7:30 pace to now hammering along at 5:00 pace trying to drop a dog! If ever anyone wonders why I get so many injuries then this is a classic example.

Anyway the dog decided a dip in the river was on the menu so I was able to wind it back to normal pace and see the run out unscathed.
  • Options

Ha ha. Runners pride eh - same as me with some bikes going uphill.

Regents pk was a windy slog - this down and up (slightly) rep is about 980-990m I reckon in total. 3.15 to start down to 3.06 then 3.02 for the last one, 75 secs recovery. Decent session.

Posted on facebook about the standard of the Surrey league this year. Ran the same course last year with 31.26 for 38th, this year 31.11 for 56th! Fecking kids...