Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Which XC this Sunday SG? Cracking sesh by the way.

Welcome back Iower.

I like that WAVA definition Philip - means I've tickled the balls of being National level then with a handful of 80+ :smile:

Nothing class about my doubles today though - slow as anything! Events are also conspiring against me this week, so need to be up at some ridiculous tome Friday to squeeze in my LSR, then walk a couple of miles across the wastelands of Aylesbury for a 9am, 9 hour "Client Relationship" workshop followed by a client dinner and drinks in the evening in the middle of nowhere!!! What a load of old bollocks!
  • Options
    WoolWool ✭✭✭

Decent bit of analysis there Phil, decent.

Somehow it feels to me like a decent 30 year old should be running a faster 5k / 10k than those marks but I guess when I set myself those benchmarks I was in my 30s myself. Shame it took me until my mid 40s to reach them!

I'd love an 80% wava marathon but can't quite imagine the level of training that'd require for me. 

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    A 'Client Relationship' workshop... Bus!
     I have visions of you first being coached in the finer points of professional bullshit and bluster, then a practical, and finally a piss up when all parties agree that; apart from the drinks, the whole deal is indeed bollocks.

Out for a run soon. The wind has calmed a bit so hopefully I won't be hit by falling branches.

🙂

• Options
    Wool said:

Decent bit of analysis there Phil, decent.

Somehow it feels to me like a decent 30 year old should be running a faster 5k / 10k than those marks but I guess when I set myself those benchmarks I was in my 30s myself. Shame it took me until my mid 40s to reach them!

I'd love an 80% wava marathon but can't quite imagine the level of training that'd require for me. 

My marathon is about 77.5% WAVA and the other runs I did at that time sneaked into the 80% bracket and that seems to be not uncommon, so a few percent down on other runs. To get 80% WAVA at the marathon, a young man like you needs about 2:45 which is what I was shooting at in 2014 when I was a few years older, 49. It isn't impossible but would need something like P&D 70+ which is time-consuming.
  • Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Enjoy your away day Bus; at least it should be easy on the brain :)

I like you turning the focus to WAVA briefly PMJ; suits us older folk and on checking Po10 was surprised to see I had 132 over 80% (admittedly the vast majority being parkruns) and a top of 86% exactly. Mind you my one and only go at London Marathon (2009) comes out at 68.6% which shows how off the pace that run was. Still way better time than my 3 other marathons, although 2 of those had the excuse of being the 3500ft of ascent you get at Beachy Head and the other at a soulless course in Luton for which I was woefully under-prepared. 

The WAVA definitions seem a bit of a generous misnomer though; I would say 60% is recreational runner, 70% is typical club runner, 80% is a competitive local racer (or decent runner Wool :) ), 85% regional standard, 90% national and only 95%+ world. 

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Wool, of course, the usual scale for running is.

good runner - anyone faster
    decent - your own level

:)

15 today - pretty much same route as last week, just with a little more wind, and a race 4 days previously in the legs in addition to the Tue evening efforts.
    7.02, which is certainly as quick as you'd need for a non pushed run.

Will certainly be shorter and easier tomorrow, then most likely a SAT OFF
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Pete - bit harsh old son..while you older boys can smother yourselves in 80-85%s, us sub 40s have to hit blooming super tough targets to get near it!

Someone will dig this post out in 35 years when im scraping some 80s out and loving WAVA.
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

a quick read back shows some cracking XC from a few (nice finish SG) and maybe a rare lukewarm one from Simon.

I have a parkrun on sat (assuming no snow!) and it will be run at tempo pace.  couldnt care less if I get beat doing it at that pace or if it hits my Po10.  anyone thinking "he has gone off the boil" will maybe get a surprise the next time they race me.

regards all the WAVA talk....with all due respect im struggling to see how a 38min 10k is considered regional level.  that's a club runner time.  a decent club runner but not someone who might take regional placings in a decent sized race.   I think my 10k time from march is a +91%....no way am I international standard over 10k.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    SG, WAVA has a purpose for those who can't really compete directly anymore.
    At least it gives a reason not to pack it in.

Competition has many facets, and serves many personalities. WAVA is but one.

🙂

• Options
    PhilipMJonesPhilipMJones ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I've always read the WAVA as "you wouldn't look lost in a xxx race"
    • Above 90%     World Class Level
    • Above 80%     National Class Level
    • Above 70%     Regional Class Level
    • Above 60%     Local Class Level
    so e.g. 80% WAVA does not mean you get a national vest but you would be OK in the national champs.

Take 10k, so for a regular 28-year-old male, 80% WAVA is 33:34 and in 20-17 that would put you about 800th and 90% would be 29:50 so top 25 and possibly a national vest if lucky.
  • Options
    I agree that WAVA is but one way to compare across age/distance, and that there's a limited amount that you can read into it - but it's always feeling to see how a performance fits relative to the world record (or, at least a curve that closely fits it)
    My best is a 75.1%, and I've not gotten close to that for some time! Regarding parkrun on Po10, I think 80% of mine are 'jogs', but certainly didn't seem like it at the time :)

Standard 6.6mi easy runs again yesterday and today - yesterday 8:02/mi for 77.1%HR and today 8:04/mi for 75.7%HR. No real comparisons, except yesterday was more blustery than today (although I got caught in a horrendous gale-assisted hail shower today), and today I had some new shoes...
    Opted for the Saucony Ride 10s from Start Fitness (I hope I'll hear some sighs of relief that Mike Ashley won't be getting my money!), as they were over 50% off, and one of the last remaining pairs in my size. They were like running on clouds compared to what I've been using! 

Given that I'm now edging towards sub-8s for easy running, I expect I'll be looking for a stab at sub-75 at the 10miler on Sunday, so that it's not an all out race, but enough to get the old cogs whirring. Maybe ramp it up in the last couple of miles. Of course, this is all dependent on the weather, as it's quite exposed, and one of the lanes looks like this...

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Mis read that for a sec Matt as sub 75 for a half, and was thinking wowzers, that'd be a performance :) But you're coming back nicely and will be interesting to read how you do.

Ric - that's bang on perfect description of WAVA. Anything that keeps you turning out years and years later the better.

Personally i never like to think too much about country standard, as it's only going to make you feel pony in comparison.
    I like the big races, to be smothered in quality and get a time, but i also like the smaller events and series where i'll be a relative face. I think you need a mix of the 2, to not get too up or down about your level.

It's been a long day.  On an average Sunday after a long run i'd have enjoyed a nice nap :)

4 weekends until Wokingham half, and it needs to get a bit more focused soon.
    Ideally need to sort some of the below out

1. Turn out at 2 XC races (unless we've blown the league - then just 1!)
    2. Get 2-3 more long runs in, potentially with 1 either a 17/18miler, or a 14miler ending at MP/HMP
    3. Get a 3x2m HMP session in
    4. Get a final week 3x1m HMP in

Will probably have to resist the temptation to do all the Tuesday club sessions, as it's more important to get numbers 3&4 in.

Such a shame one of the "relay" sessions is 2 days after the half. I cannot imagine that'd be sensible to do. I think I just about got away with Tuesday's session after Sunday's race 

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    ps Dean, i like the idea of someone clocking your 18min parkrun and thinking they'll demolish you!
    )
  • Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    2.32 marathon as a 33 year old gets you 80.69% WAVA. That's a bit tight. Not having it. Seems great as you get older mind you. 

Legs have been a bit cooked this week, well just my quads. Windy and snowing at the minute so my 10 x 1km track session is being done on the treadmill at the gym. 

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Matt I think that 2.32 for only an 80% v 32.04 for 91% beautifully sums it up.  It's not very well aligned ?  
    Was it earlier posted a v35 38mins is 80% and therefore national standard yet wouldn't get you in the top 1000 in the v35 10k rankings lastyr.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I thought WAVA was all percentage based versus the current men's world record. Is it actually based off the world record for an age group then? As that latter method can throw up anomalies.

F OFF today. Dentistry instead. A temporary padding job, but potentially big bit of work coming in the future. Oh well, we crack on for now!

Will do some sort of jog variant including the local parkrun tomorrow. It won't even be a session like Dean's doing though, so i'll deffo do Matt's style of barcode free/off the grid job
  • Options

The missus has picked Rickmansworth for her next Parkrun, so I'll try and sneak the first 30 x 200 of the year in over the track when she gets back, not even tried the Saucony Type A's out as yet. Then off to the London Stadium to see the Cherries play the media darlings.

This will be my 5th visit - once to run in the test event AT THE OLYMPICS (Did I tell you about that? ;) ), Super Saturday, the Paralympics and the same fixture last season.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    never mind that Simon, have we ever discussed so many 200 reps before?

juuuuust kidding..before Ric discombobulates...

Actually had to check who you meant by media darlings and London stadium! Thought you might have been chuckling at Chelsea or Tottenham!
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    DeanR7 said:
    Matt I think that 2.32 for only an 80% v 32.04 for 91% beautifully sums it up.  It's not very well aligned ?  
    Was it earlier posted a v35 38mins is 80% and therefore national standard yet wouldn't get you in the top 1000 in the v35 10k rankings lastyr.

Not sure who said it, but 38 minutes is nowhere near 80% WAVA at V35.

Dean, re your 91%, no your 32:04 is not international class at open level, but the point is you ran it in your mid 40s, and the fact that you are international class at age group level is surely borne out by the fact that you have World and European masters medals?

PMJ's interpretation makes most sense.  Personally, I've always felt the descriptions as 'local class', 'regional class' etc probably need to be upped by 5%.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Yes...but... my medals have come over 1500, I feel ok saying I'm international level at my age group over that event but my 10k was ranked only 12th in uk age group so I would agree nationally its relevantly but internationally nope.  Yet at 91% wava my 10k is considered international standard.  I think wava is being over nice describing my 10k as that.
  • Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    But WAVA is on age, not age group, and you were near the top of the age range.  It would have ranked you 3rd V45 in the country, and don't forget that masters running in the UK is at a higher standard than in many other parts of the world, so top 5 in the UK would definitely be internationally relevant.
  • Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Hmmm. Maybe I will relent and agree. :)
    but if the 10k has higher wava than my 4.01 1500 I'm calling bullshit again :smiley:
  • Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Dean, just to keep you happy on a Friday afternoon I ran your 4.01 1500 through the official Masters Athletics Age grade calculator and you get 94.61% as a 44 year old :) Well done; amazing rating!

So the consensus seems to be WAVA is objective in based on fastest world times by age, but still plays to all runners egos a lot in its descriptions of what the percentages mean.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Didn't even realise Po10 lists things by age grading.  If we leave out clearly incorrect distances over XC and relay legs, my best is almost 87%, with 83-84% being a recent average.  Despite that sub 70 half, my best age grades are still mainly in the 3000 - 5000m zone.  It's interesting.  Largely meaningless really, but then, cosmically, so is everything else in our lives.
  • Options
    Too much to catch up on! Busy moving house around work, I think my last day off was the day Lucas was born. In Birmingham at the moment for national run show! 

Matt - Ride 10 on Instagram? Good choice . Launch is entry level and less durable. Should have gone to AltonSports though ;) 

Currently about to eat dinner so may read properly on the laptop and post again! 

Samir did beat me yes when I ran 36/37 at NYD 10km, but after I was in hospital and had glandular fever which is why I ran shit, ran 33:00 3 months later but that was 4 years ago now!!!! 
    Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    OK. A proper read back and I still don't know what to really write and will miss out a load of people no doubt!! I still read each day but find myself getting carried away either commenting on FB about doping or then actually doing my work and being busy ;)  

Good to see some other names drop in, WOOL and IOWER. Massive improvements there IOWER. Are you at Ryde 10??? 

Ric - Nice getting back on those miles! 

Good chatter around WAVA although 80% I would put that figure well below county standard (I think age dependant I guess actually now) I am sure I ran close to 80% with 15:52 and I was 24 so good reflection vs WR age too and would not make the top 10 in Hampshire for 5KM with that. 

I've been having physio still pretty much every two weeks and getting a few runs in here and there. Twice a week seems to be ok but very tiring / achey after. I'm "down" to 83.7 KG now but worryingly flipped roles with my brother as he now has become quite poorly and dropped down to 62KG. For 6FT that's not so good and on from SG's problems I mentioned before Luke has similar issues with the heart / Costochondritis issues and struggling a lot. He is due ( 3 rounds I believe) of some cortisone (I think) injections into the rib cage. Funny how the pro athletes use this routinely and he has taken quite a few weeks of work and dropped into a 28 trouser! 

Matt L - You should use your barcode more? Or would PO10 get clogged up ;) 

SG - I think someone said it but stop pissing about. You WILL run sub 17 for 5KM this year. 

Reg - Bloody ouch about the foot!! Supernova equivalent hmmmm. Hard to come away from how good boost actually feels but if you like boost and want to keep weight down I'd go Saucony w/ everun. Triumph 4 / Freedom (Lower drop though) 

I enjoyed my bacon cheese burger from the hotel restaurant but disappointed they had no steak. Set for the AM though. I have about 400 pairs of HOKA's with me ready for the national running show in the morning and drove up for the set up today in good time. Jo Pavey on the THULE stand next to us tomorrow 2-4 should see us work off that well, especially if I can slip her some shoes ;) Maybe she will ask for an autograph 

Both kids are doing well. Lucas is a million times better since xmas scare and notably more alert and starting to smile and be a bit more active. I think we will try spend time with him developing him as being early and his health he maybe a bit slow to start and I think some time in sensory classes will help

Mia is doing awesome at school which is great and makes me happy but I have struggled to balance time with her (granted Lucas issues and her mum has been great) but I really need to sort out time with her which does lead on to us moving house at short notice.. She's got very good with memory / maths so is very keen to inform how many days it is since I saw her or stayed over or until her birthday for example :D  - Pleased I can talk to her daily though which is nice. 

A bit of extra money from working overtime / not taking holiday / bonus means we can upgrade. She really wanted to go home this year (Latvia) for a month in April but we sat and agreed moving is better for immediate needs and we will get her to Latvia later in the year when Lucas is a bit bigger... Still renting. I don't think I'd be able to buy for a long time but we are moving into a 2 bed place around 10 min walk from work which saves all round and as we are currently 1bed / 7 floors up with no lift, Inesa can't really get out often so that's good for her and baby.. 

The move is meant to happen Monday with me paying £1300 odd fees / deposit last week and then just needing to clear the 1st month rent Monday when I am back from Birmingham. Real short notice so I don't have the day off work so having to work with parents helping the bits and bobs and paying some people to do big items for us. Stressful though! 

God is that half my life story?? May run in the morning if I can be bothered but as I don't have to be there till 8 / 8:30 chance for a lay in!! 

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Scott, I wish you, and everyone connected with you all the good fortune possible. 

My running miles are currently the sort that represent a prolonged warm up/down. I don't get bored despite being out for a couple of hours plodding about stop starting all over the place.
    All off road at the moment too.
     Just being able to run at all transcends any amount of mud encountered.

🙂

• Options
    WAVA is based on the age best for the race and sex. It does mean that it is weak in the less raced distance/age combos so you see WAVAs well over 100% for v80+ marathons etc. It is expressed as a percentage of speed (i.e. 805 WAVA mean you run 80% as fast as the WR) and I reckon that is another weakness as it is not a linear fit.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Very philosophical Dachs!

Scott - still a mixed bag of luck, but good to hear that the kids are doing OK and other stuff in life is moving in the right direction. 

Ric - sometimes it's almost worth being injured so you get back the appreciation of just being able to run when you get back.

94.6% WAVA - blimey!!!

As predicted, yesterday was a long day! 15.6M done before 8, then a pretty full on day - very interesting though, with some scarily accurate psychological profiling of everyone there! Apparently I'm not the number-driven OC everyone thinks I am :smile:

Feeling a bit bleurghhhhh this morning though after too much to drink afterwards!