Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Simon - hopefully your mate continues to do well.

Rick - agreed re industrial estates, when i run after work and get back to my car around 6pm its very quiet.

SG - thats one of the older routes, what time did you do ? I did 1.18 in 2013. I remember planning to start off 6min ish, and checked my watch after 3m and it said 18.00 (and i have no gadget).....hope its able to go ahead this year.......i had a postponement from NF10 today which was July, i only have Brighton 10k left, then its the already rescheduled races.

17 today.
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    TR, under the current conditions, there appears to be some discussion about not just 'where' we can train. But for what duration.

Well, having had direct contact with the Police on a number of occasions since this Corona-Virus business started. Lock down or whatever. I can say from my side of things, I've had nothing but encouragement regardless of distance.

I've come to roads blocked off by Police. Traffic lights taped off by the same. And what I do is stop, and wait.

I just wait. Soon enough the law comes across and it's me that suggests that maybe I should go back. 'No, no, it's fine' they say, and wave me through.

I'm giving them the option of putting the blocks on me. Balls in their court. Their call. I simply comply.

No questions about what or where or how long for. It's obvious. I'm out taking exercise. I'm not out doing something else and calling it exercise.

Such are the advantages of doing what we do anyway.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

TR - had to check for sure, as I'd remembered I'd done a 1:19xx and a 1.17xx.

But 2013 was the 1.17.22 one. Coming 9 months after a 1.15.41, I was hoping for a bit better, but was happy for now occasional poster Lit who got a pb that day, on one of perhaps our only 2 meet ups - the other being Reading half, 2014.

Always easier in races where you know you're better than either your pb, or the last time out, then when you have a precise pace to hit, isn't it.

That's why I look forward to getting after that 1.19.51 next time out and tick off the splits sub 6.05 as we go.

Easy to start talking up races you'd like to do, but a Reading and Gosport November HM combo could be interesting. Let's see if it's any sort of option.

Good 17 shift. SAT OFF for me.

How long are you stopping on these runs, Ric?

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Rick - the journos kept pressing MPs for how long exercise should be, on Andrew Marr Show Gove plucked 30mins for a run and 60min walk, but the response was in a what would keep the average joe fit. Gove also said do your normal when pressed a different time..........i could run in busy areas and bump into loafs of folks in a 5m run, im running quiet lanes and rarely see others, saw a few cyclists today. So its about the amount of isolation i can keep not duratiom for me. I slways move for anyone else and try to be over considerate, give everyome a hello or ask if they are ok today.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    SG - i guessed youd hve been ahead of me. If we are allowed to race in Nov, them im with you on a sub 80 chase.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    TR said:
    SG - i guessed youd hve been ahead of me. If we are allowed to race in Nov, them im with you on a sub 80 chase.

Small world isn't it, that we were just two total randoms, and probs a min max between us. Not quite as mad as when myself and Joe B were about 2-3seconds different at Wokingham 2018!

Was getting quite inspired watching some random videos of some of these courses which is why I remembered I'd probably be in one!

There's a guy who filmed himself round the 2019 course, and while it's a bit too much of him than the route for my liking, still a good vid.

No better time than now for watching those route vids I think.

This guy below does some decent ones, round the south type area.

Met him once at the Aylesbury 5k. Although I think he bungled most of the recording of that one annoyingly!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUWfxFQa3INYkFjuwspQbsg

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    SG - dont remember being there then. Ive watched the odd video of races, even had a look round a few parts of courses on google maps.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    (Whoops must have edited out the 2010 bit just before you posted)
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    SG, my stopping takes many forms, so the timings vary. 

There's the informal chat and greeting type stopping. That could be from a few seconds to several minutes depending on who it is I'm talking to.

Obviously right now, keeping one's distance is paramount. And if being true to myself, I'm not actually going out of my way to chat to anyone, but when it happens, be it running or cycling, stopping is an option I often take. 

And if it's someone I know. I always stop.

I do that simply to prove, to whoever I stop for, that I'm not some self absorbed fucking arsehole who regards their own activity so important, that they refuse to give even people they know personally, the time of day. Why? "Because I'm training"? Really! Well fuck you then!

When I stop mid run to engage with neighbours and those I know personally. They are fully aware that many runners, once under way, adopt a kind of pig headed go go go don't stop mentality, where everything in the world becomes secondary to 'their running/training thing', including everyone else.

That's a type of disrespect. It's just the runner elevating themselves to a higher level because they are running. Well news for anyone out there. Running doesn't mean shit. Your training means shit. It's not important. It isn't. 

How does your training relate to others who don't train? Answer, it doesn't. They see you doing it, but it's sod all to do with them. They aren't part of the deal. 

Unless you stop. And stop for them. Because of them. Because it's them. A demonstration that you regard their existence important enough, that you are prepared to do what so many runners don't do, which is stop.

Instead the runner on average, spots someone they know, and with barely a glance, waves them away as nothing more than an inconvenience to their progress.

They find that slightly insulting. But they make allowances for the guy thinking himself a cut above the average punter because he's a 'runner', when really he's just proving what they already suspect he is, which is a prick.

And the guy/runner doesn't even know it.

Other reasons are having drink (when I once used shops for top-ups), tying shoelaces, having a stretch, having a rest if over cooking things, sight seeing, playing with dogs and puppies. All sorts of reasons.

The time adds up. It doesn't matter. Stopping does not invalidate the trip. It's not important. And right now, it definitely isn't important.

🙂

• Options
    I’m totally behind Ric on this, I always stop for a chat with people I know when I encounter them on a run. The run isn’t harmed by stopping, I’ll still get my intensity x time on feet training effect whatever, but I might not bump into that person for a few weeks.

Anyway, I’ve not been running - still injured and letting everything settle down. I had a little test run last week but my foot and knee reacted. Well done to everyone training well. Commiserations to Simon in the same situation.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yep..running is essentially pointless.

Worth pointing out on a ...running thread 😄

Let's get things back positive. 15 done and dusted. 7.02 job. Some hills. Lots of sweat.

Happy Easter. Try and enjoy the day everyone.
  • Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Sod the distance and pace SG; all we want to know is how many people you met, how long each stop was for and how many words you exchanged😉 
  • Options
    YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    PeteM said:
    Sod the distance and pace SG; all we want to know is how many people you met, how long each stop was for and how many words you exchanged😉 
    All available metrics on the Fenix  :)
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yearly choc gorge. Bashed 3 eggs down in a go. Much prefer that then spreading over days. Quick in and out 👍

Seem to get smaller every year or maybe the lack of choc every year makes the desire for them greater

65.5mile week in 5 singles this week.
    Start up again in furlough week 3 tomorrow.
    Expect the "gov" are waiting until the other side of the bank hol to announce the extension of the lock.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Keeping the thread busy SG - even more than usual :D Great running though.
    Sorry to hear you're still benched Muddy.
    Freedom parkrun again for me yesterday. Rubbish night’s sleep of only 3-4 hrs & sore legs from my testing dozen yesterday meant I was struggling to get any motivation up for visiting the hurt locker this morning. A gentle 7K wu with a few strides helped but also left me very sweaty. Had some water & counted myself down. Started ok but after a mile the course goes along a really rutted & rooty section for 500m. I’d decided to dispense with my shades as they start slipping off if I’m going fast &/or very sweaty: this section made me regret that decision instantly as I couldn't make out the roots/ruts quickly enough & I slowed by 20s/K. Once through that & back on flatter ground I was able to up the pace but had to negotiate that ankle breaking section again just after 4K. Ended with a 21:07 which is my fastest over the course since lockdown :) though still over 2 minutes away from my course PB! Did a 4K cool down for another 10M outing.
    I did 16M this evening: 8:30 average pace so pretty comfortable. Legs had recovered well from Friday/Saturday  although they weren't totally happy with the 500ft climb in the penultimate mile :D 
    72M & 8,000ft for a 6 day week B)
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Well done on the 15 and 16 chaps, i used my token walking with my wife yday, but also did 30min of s and c cct.

Back to it with 12m today.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

First thought was Jools, that's mad mileage, then realise it's only 7 or so more than mine :D

But it's the elevation and routes that make it mad :)

I have some endless enthusiasm, but right now I couldn't think of anything I'd less want to do in running terms, then pillage myself round a 5k route.

Another solid double digit TR, and another from me, 10, at 7.12 or so. Chucked a few little climbs in, nothing too outrageous.

Will probs watch a few more of this Baze chaps vids on youtube. He does loads. Covers the huge events like London, GSR, countless other marathons and halfs, plus stuff like Endure, and then loads of parkruns too.

Was interested to see he did the Silverstone half in Nov 2019. That used to be my spring half of choice back in the early to mid 2000s, before I discovered Wokingham,  when it was organised by the London Marathon team. Who could forget the yearly "need transport to Silverstone" threads on here, when people realised that the "London" Half marathon was actually in Northamptonshire!!   I always said I'd get back there one day, and then they cancelled it for that "Big Half" event - which would just be a real bind to get to - central London, early start etc.

Silverstone had an odd 12pm start time too I remember but was never too hot. Cold and windy down the back route I remember.

But anyway, the "Race organisers" now put it on, and there's also a 5k and 10k option too.

Not totally easy to tell from his video about the size of the event now (used to get 7,000-10,000 for the original races), but I get the feeling it'd all be a bit of an underwhelming trip down memory lane - could be wrong. Is great to have it back as an option at least.

Baze mentioned he had 13.2miles on his watch well before the last run in, and I can well believe it. With the super wide grid, and changing direction with bends and overtaking, I bet very few manage the minimum distance. Before the days I had a proper GPS.

Have always intended to get to the Silverstone 10k too, but as that's generally a few days from the Marlow 5, a total non starter.

A few others on his list I've got to get back to. This whole massive racing gap is like a wakeup call isn't it - don't take it for granted!

One of Moraghan's 100s of superb pieces of advice was about seizing the moment because you don't know when life will get in the way - always remember that, but will get applying it when racing is back on!

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    SG - you defo have to seize the moment on the good race days as you never know when you'll get the fitness and conditions again.......im torn between chasing a few times later in the year if the restrictions are relaxed, or simply doing as many races as possible just to be back out there......i have 2 x 10k to my name this year and they were both untapered vlm training runs.......i have no end of races rolled over to next yr though.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    I'm enjoying this phase of my running career. I probably needed the break from racing tbh. I imagine I'll be hungrier & fitter come the Autumn. Few parkruns & some rep sessions & I'll be flying.
    Decent runs again SGTR. Was the slower pace purely a result of the hills SG or were you taking it slightly steadier on purpose?
    For today's outing I planned a considerably flatter route than I've done recently to target the 2 segments I'd not properly hit on Friday's Fartlek 12M: flat 800m after about 10K then a 1K@1% an hour in. I mapped it out on Strava & it chose a slightly easier finish for me which had another segment that I'd never tried before so decided I'd do that one too. It's 1K: 1st half drops 70ft then it climbs 120ft in the 2nd. Long story short I got 5th, 4th & 2nd respectively. I think I should have thrown in a few strides before the first segment as my legs felt tighter than for the 2nd longer uphill one B) 11.2M@7:53 all in with HR in easy zone except for the 3 efforts.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I think at first TR just pumping a few races out isn't a bad idea. Probably need a few to recapture that intensity.

I was already on a bit of a dry spell, one mid Dec XC and the Feb half, and that was my lot since August, so this long break only exacerbates that!

That sort of build up to Wokingham certainly won't have maximised things, so there's no way the first race or 2 back will be peak jobs either.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all :smile: The big singles continue on here I see! Another big week jools! Sympathy to SC and MF on the injury bench currently - must be a right balls ache in the current circs!

14M for me yesterday to make 48 for the week. I wasn't tempted at any point to try and make 16 for 50 given how warm it was and how tired the legs felt after 3 weeks of hills and singles! I don't know how your body can take the punishment jools!  25M on the bike Saturday, which was very pleasant in the sunshine and nice to see so many people out on bikes. 

Possible bike ride later today - we'll see.  
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

Jools - the Monday run always tends to dip a little after the Sunday long.

Was 7.08 last week, 7.12 this week. Still plenty decent towards the top end of the zone, and as long as it comes out with the right effort, not pushing, it's fine.

This period has lighter quality sessions - steady on 1 run, and 60-90sec bursts on another. I dare say the easy runs would dip if it was a peak phase - that'd just be natural if you were gassing yourself twice a week.

I was interested what elevation this steep short bit I put in today was, but surprised to see the mile with the most elevation today was a mere 36 feet.

But now I look at the graph it's clearly been diffused across two miles, with the actual stat being a 75 foot climb over 0.1mile, which is a decent incline.

I could have turned right into an even sillier steeper slightly longer climb straight after but luckily "The maths" told me going downhill and back that way was exactly the distance I needed to get home ;)

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps not surprised you're the opposite of some of us on races Jools. You've had your fair share for a while!

How many seg hunts are you doing a week? Very addictive at first I found, and I had to watch doing it too often!  I'd take ages researching some at my "peak" obsession mode with it :)

48 is plenty versus your usual Bus. Your totals I feel should always come with an asterix next to them, as the massively hilly nature is certainly harder than the smooth road miles I love.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Yeah, but all done at a much slower pace SG :smile: And Jools is currently doing 50% more miles AND hills :smiley:  I'm actually quite pleased with it being 48 as it means I didn't get sucked into rounding it to 50 just for the sake of it :wink:

I do hope racing starts again soon. Not for me (though I do fancy a 5k!), but I want to see both you and Jools smash some big finishes out, which will definitely happen given the recent work rate!

Decided against a bike ride tonight in the end and went for a quick walk instead on the basis that I couldn't be arsed to get ready for a bike ride, time was pressing on and the legs would probably respond better to a walk as well! Early run tomorrow on the cards........
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    It would be interesting to race straight away, but im under no illusions that i would still need some proper topping up with sessions.

It would be interesting to see what difference doing the runs all as double digits made though as opposed to similar mileage with 3-4 doubles.

Just watching Baze's video of Abingdon. Spotted Reg and Wool. 2017 job
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    SG I've been doing that or a 5K parkrun TT pretty much every other day for the last fortnight.
    Since lockdown & wfh began I've done: 6 segment fartleks, 4 Freedom parkruns & a 10M hilly tempo but only 2 long runs: a 20 & a 16 with the rest easy running. The fartleks are generally like short interval sessions. Today was 12 minutes of effort in an 88 minute run, Friday 28/101, Wed 17/100, Sun 5th 25/88, Tue 31st 12/86, Mon 30th 12/88. Legs seem to be responding OK so I'm not worried :)
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Just over 8 miles for me this morning. Bloody cold! A few fartleks thrown in at the end as much to stop the overall pace being a tad depressing as much as anything!  The purple patch of the first two weeks of singles has definitely faded, but difficult to see how to break it down to something new really without sacrificing the mental benefits of just going for a nice run!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Jools you play on..player 😄

A wiser man than me once said that you have to get creative the older you get to keep the enjoyment...so whatever works is good.
    Ok..it was Phil Montague Jones 😙😄
    You still out there fella?

Bus..new is always better. But maybe like you say it has worn off a little. A tweak will get it back on
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    After my last few steady section Tuesdays with last week ending at top end steady, I fancied an old school Moz MP tempo.

Put a 4m wu in and started at West Wycombe and for the first time in years monstered one across town and back.

6min first mile a bit keen but levelled out at 6.10 average.
    Bit of a downhill bias (12 feet average a mile?), but nothing too major and the roads and hazards probably weigh those out.

Last two miles when you're feeling it a little more are 30 feet up and still came out decent.

Fastest 6m round Dorney was 6.15 so 6.10 for this feels decent. Still a bit of wind and more stuff to be conscious of but probably more mentally awakening.

Hopefully a sign of some progress. Plus the key point that you're never trying to push the pace but it's the start of a block.
  • Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Some very decent training still going on then;

SG that's a speedy pace for a MP effort run; translates to about a 2'42 marathon if you're tempted some time, if and when they ever return!

Jools; staggeringly impressive miles and climbing; I always thought seg chasing was pointless as they are so specific and open to rigging by cyclists etc. but when you explain it as just like a planned fartlek it makes a lot more sense. I suppose it makes life more interesting if you don't mind the pre-run planning. 

Bus what does it feel like to have someone (Jools) who runs further and climbs more than you do ;) Great training though and nice to see someone else not forgetting it is brilliant cycling weather too at the moment!

TR consistent stuff as ever and noble of you to sacrifice a day's token a week for the walk

Joe; more than decent 5k; not many will be putting in 17'xx at the moment. Nice to see Katie back to somewhere near her best; she deserves some good luck injury wise this year.

Matt; very nippy session the other day with all those 1 min intervals at low 5's. Keep it up and can see you getting near 18 (or under) in a parkrun or 5k again whenever they start again.

SC and Muddy; sorry to hear you are both struggling with injury; suppose its the best and worst of times for it; no races but also missing good training opportunities with super quiet roads and trails. Hope you are both back fully at it very soon.

As for me I've had 2 days in the last week running solo as once my daughter rejected me  (again preferring to run alone) and once she decided ti was too hot! (Saturday). Used one to run from home through Bracknell Forest to the Look Out and back and the second the same except driving to the nearest Forest entrance (sorry but did need some shopping from the supermarket where I parked up!). First was a 20k and 2nd 13k, so reasonable length runs nearly all off road and was ok they came out about 4'45k av, though did have to try a bit more than I expected to achieve even that. 

Today I thought I'd give my club handicap 10k course a go as it starts right by where I live. Obvs a solo, but I'm used to doing it as a solo anyway as its a TT and the best of WV club runners hardly ever do it. Put the vf's on to add some impetus and managed 39'08. Not brilliant in what were near perfect conditions, but also not bad given a lack of race fitness. Something to build on. Had to then do my daughter's combined hill reps among a longer run sesh (the same odd one I described last week :) ). Was out-sprinted by her quite readily on all 6 reps but she struggled with the rest of the 6.5k run, so maybe put too much effort into her reps (they are maybe just under 120 metres up a 5 or 6% hill and she does about 21.5 secs which I can just about match normally). How does that compare with what the thread KOTM's Bus and Jools would do? Let me know please guys.