Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    No worries SG, glad you enjoyed the report. 
    shoe choice = The middle: they look orange to me 😀, 2nd choice would be the first pair.
    Cheers TR & Bus. Reckon I’ll be biking tomorrow  :D 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah on my phone they look orange. But on the laptop, salmon pink. Odd.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps Jools, no segs for a few days!!

• Options
    That is a tasty training mara right there Jools, great work! I'm sure you could take that sub-3 comfortably on a tapered race effort.

Forgot to chime in on the shoe chat previously - SG, I used to be a Mizuno fan back 2014-2015, when WaveRiders 16-18 could be bought for £60 or so. Cracking shoe. Once they shot up in price I started looking elsewhere.

Another brilliant shoe I had was the Mizuno Wave Sayonara v3. People always swore about to Hitogami as a racing flat, but the Sayonara did it for me. They're the shoes behind my famed 28:19 5mi ;) given the recent foray into carbon plates, the Mizuno flats must have given some advantage with the plastic wave plate.

I also revise my FB vote on the shoes, the navy appear to have silver stripes? So I go orange. Love a flash shoe.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

I'm afraid that trainer name only makes me think of this clip...18.00-18.10 :D

Spent 20mins digging this out, so best be appreciated :D - best viewed in anything not IE.

(and whatever happened to the old way you could probably embed a link?)

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6l961e

• Options
    WoolWool ✭✭✭
    a bit mad that one Jools - I love it! 

Our local clubs are running a virtual 5k team event thingy. I'll have a pop later in the week and see what I can do solo before I try a solo, untapered marathon. That's really quite something. Well done. Please do take some time to recover well (and bank the training stimulus).
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Cracking solo marathon there Jools, well done.

I haven't managed to cast my vote for SGs shoe colour so apologies for that, for the record I reckon it's orange.

Seem the seemingly unbreakable SC has had an injury, glad it seems to be on the mend. 

Ric making a comeback too and a return to fiscal advice, rumour has it Ric has been living off the same £5 note for six months now. What you don't seem to factor in is living off the misfortunes of relatives :-) 

I'll read back as I go but has the chat started about the TVXC virtual 5km was that what the Strava Wanker thing is about?

I have been ticking over with 2-3 runs a week 15-20 miles or so. Also the club have been very involved with Zwift. We've been doing group rides twice a week and a weekly TT.  It's handicapped but I've set the fastest times in the first three stages. Seen my FTP improving with no structured training and it appears to be around 340 or 4.6 watt per kilo so getting within range of my 5.0 target. If we ever get back to racing that would make for some interesting bike splits! This makes up for the running which just seems awful at the moment. I am not excited about doing a timed 5km on the local pavements.

• Options
    WoolWool ✭✭✭
    Reg - I think the strava wankery thing has really come to the fore since Strava included the elapsed time insight on their app. I see the footballer Ross Barkley is one of the latest to come under fire for claiming what's clearly an interval-based 5km run over the space of 30 mins as a 16 min 5k!!

There's defo some more local wankery on-going. It's going to be interesting to see what stunts the TVXC virtual 5k thingy brings up. Some downhill courses no doubt. I hope nobody plays the invisible rests thing though, that'd be low!

To go back to financials, I'm defo up in the last 4-6 weeks as holiday refunds come in and my spending goes to an all time low. Perhaps need to buy some more trainers.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Barkleys was especially cynical as he's clearly set off to try and gun it, with a 3.19 first km. 
    But then reality hit with a 3.40km and then he's obviously just paused the watch and had a huge rest before gunning flat out 200 and 400s.

His actual elapsed time was over an hour! What a clown.

Not a fan of all this virtual stuff. For one thing, every "course" will be different. Then people will be seeking out fast routes then storming them. Not sure it's the time to be encouraging such things en masse?
    Fun for those who need it though.

Roll on those who try and do it on a track using GPS rather than laps!

Anyway. 10 today. Not especially lively but 7.08 job.

Tempo tomorrow will be livelier.
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Even if he cheated a pro footballer should be able to run 16:11 for 5k. Maybe not Ross Barkley though. I assume he did GPS round a track as well.

Ironman have started their own virtual races and it has some ridiculous wankery. It's based on virtual speed so you get bellends starting their bike split at the top of the Zwift virtual mountain doing the first 12km all downhill then caning it on the flat, you don't even need to sit on the bike for the first ten minutes!
  • Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    That's one hell of a solo run at any time Jools, but with the amount of training you've been doing and the lack of any taper quite incredible. Fantastically well done and a most enjoyable report too :) . As others have said, must augur really well for what you could do if and when you get to run a race marathon.

Elsewhere all seems much the same as usual and pleased to see all still training well. Strange place this forum where Wool at around 50mpw considers himself a modest distance runner, but set against mile monsters like TR, Jools, Bus and SG suppose he is. I only get to about 30 mpw myself at the best of times and less than that currently.

Most impressed with your FTP Reg; only time I've had mine tested was a few years back now and was about 240 so only about 3.2 watts per kilo . Probably even worse now as I only av about 17mph on fairly flat routes. Hopefully my cycling might improve a bit in lock-down though, as tends to get the vote more often than not from my daughter for the daily choice of exercise, so we are covering quite a lot of miles. I tend to throw in about an hour on the road bike either before or after the hybrids ride with her, but when she wants a longer one like yesterday when we went to Windsor and back via The Great Park I leave it at that.

Running wise I'm trying to do a weekly long one (by my standards) to make up for only running about 3 times a week. Did the 11.5m round trip route to Bracknell Look Out and back on Saturday, which was a decent run but nothing spectacular; Swinley almost deserted without its MTB contingent. 

Am quite interested to have a go at the TVXC virtual 5k provided I don't have to join Strava (and risk the dreaded Strava W status you lot have been on about ;)). Nothing round here would represent a fast course unless I could find a windless day at Ascot perimeter track (unlikely given the forecast), so would just do it for a bit of fun. Garmin also seems to have taken to under-recording distance so that's another self imposed penalty!

SG, Reg, Wool are you going to have a go at the Virtual? 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Pro footy players are about strength and quick fire repeated sprint action.
    Id be more surprised if loads could do low 16s without a real period of dedicated training. Some of them are a bit too stacked muscle wise for more than sprints.

The pros who legitimately tried their 5ks were more 17-20s.
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Maybe you're right SG, I guess it depends on the type of player, I had midfielders and full backs in mind. Taking Liverpool as an example, I'd expect someone like James Milner would be low 16 & at the other end Virgil VD probably 18 mins.

I am not sure about the virtual 5k Pete, I do have a slight niggle around my achilles. I have been nominated for that 5k charity thing but apparently I have to do it backwards so maybe get that out the way first.

Some chat about it on the TVT group on FB and I expect there'll be a good uptake there. I have a few days off this week and I was hoping to put a long bike ride in, don't want to put it at risk.
  • Options
    WoolWool ✭✭✭
    I'm in Pete, just mapped my route out. I think you'll be OK with a Garmin Connect trace / screenshot. I too had a look at the weather forecast to see what's with the wind. All the routes running around here that head west and so would benefit from the current easterly flow are a slightly uphill. So...

SG - you know up on Hemwood Lane where you joined the DD hills sessions a couple of times (and ran through someone's garden, PMSL!). Gonna start up there and sprint down to the flat of the Thames. Totally legit. Reckon I might be 17:30ish.  B)

My FTP is around 220 on Zwift. How embarrassing compared with Reg! I've always thought it must be quite set-up dependent. I have a modern TACX trainer but it's one of those where the back wheel stays on and the tyre contact drives things. Surely those like the Wahoo Kickr must be far more efficient? Oh, I'm only 55-56kg too so the W/kg is slightly less pathetic but still.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

It'd interest me more seeing all the top Premier league guys doing a 5k flat out race than sprints.

Lingard, who has to be one of the fittest, weasley build players did something like 1745 for his. He'd be quicker in a race of course. Milner i'd see as more your solid stocky guy who'd not have the same level. Hard to tell though. I remember when we had this sort of debate a while ago, people said there's a huge difference between Premier league full time athletes in their 20s and amateurs in mid 30-40s.

That's correct in a way obviously, they'd obliterate us in shorter sharper stuff, and strength stuff, and obviously technique, certain skills etc.

But i'm unconvinced on distance racing, especially the further the distance went up.

I remember a Wycombe player Steve Brown did Silverstone half once, he was only about 9months retired, and he only did about 2hours. He was a centre mid with a lot of stamina.

Just totally different requirements.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Pete - no virtual stuff for me. Going to tick over as I'm doing. Tempo on a Tue, Faster bits on a Friday.

Monitoring the little tightnesses etc if and when they come, as I'm aware I've gone from 2 runs a week in double digits, to suddenly 6 :D

But obvs on the other side, no real increase in mileage, and no driving/work and more sleep, so should be more fresh in that sense.

Am doing a few online training courses over the next few weeks to keep the brain topped up, couple of days later this week, one next etc. Will be a shocker to have to get up before 830am again :D

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Wool said:
    I'm in Pete, just mapped my route out. I think you'll be OK with a Garmin Connect trace / screenshot. I too had a look at the weather forecast to see what's with the wind. All the routes running around here that head west and so would benefit from the current easterly flow are a slightly uphill. So...

SG - you know up on Hemwood Lane where you joined the DD hills sessions a couple of times (and ran through someone's garden, PMSL!). Gonna start up there and sprint down to the flat of the Thames. Totally legit. Reckon I might be 17:30ish.  B)

My FTP is around 220 on Zwift. How embarrassing compared with Reg! I've always thought it must be quite set-up dependent. I have a modern TACX trainer but it's one of those where the back wheel stays on and the tyre contact drives things. Surely those like the Wahoo Kickr must be far more efficient? Oh, I'm only 55-56kg too so the W/kg is slightly less pathetic but still.

Amateur.

Have a word with big Dom at Handy Cross.

Started at the peak of what is the equivalent of Marlow Hill in Wycombe and machine gunned a 19min job down to the flats of Bourne End.

400 feet down, first mile 5.01 job (250feet down), levelled out to 5.34 all in.

ps those woods ain't anyone's garden :)

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    We've been told a max 9m drop over 5k for the Virtual. Is that an official TVXC rule or are WV just nobly trying to ensure no (or very limited!) artificiality in our results? 

(ex) Footballer runs I know are Michael Carrick who did 1'47 in GNR last year and Giggsy 47 mins in 2019 Manchester 10k. Both on a par (well a bit slower ;) ) with what I used to run in my football days about 25-30 years ago. Back then I didn't ever do running outside of normal football training and just got talked into a few races now and again, usually in close or pre-season. Think football demands are very different as SG said; I reckoned myself fitter and certainly more stamina than 99% of players at my level, yet my running race times were distinctly average. Another difference is if you are not a regular you don't tend to go "all in" or have the best kit or shoes, both of which of course negatively impact your time.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Beckham was a decent schoolboy runner, im with Pete there are probably some decent runners out there (the scrawny Roy Keane types) but arnt aware how hard they need to run and that they are capable.

SG - youre doing a "not very lively" 75mpw at around 7:0X or better, thats a lot of quickish running, you should really treat yourself to a couple of 8:XX easy days a week.

My legs were tired today during my 11m, but a quick count up gave me 81m in the previous 7 days - without a decent length long run or medium long run too.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    I remember reading Michael Owen's Blog after doing the London Marathon in 2014 less than 12 months after retiring from professional football. He ran 3:45:43 & said it was the hardest thing he'd done. Said the training was harder than when he was playing Premiership football. 
    Few more here stats https://runandjumpblog.wordpress.com/2014/06/10/footballers-running-marathons-fastest-michael-owen-kevin-kilbane/

No running today but I did get out on the bike for a little spin ;)
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    So did I, only mine actually WAS little and I hadn't run a marathon the day before - nutter  B)
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

A mere 65 TR, anyone doing more than that is a nutter ;)

I think the not lively comment was more a mental feeling today. I took AGES to force myself out! But once I got going it flowed as usual really.

I think that's the key - don't push, let it flow, and as long as you're getting the quality in, and not getting niggles, then you're probably pitching it right.

Depends on the quality runs too. If they're tough, you'll find the easy runs ease off a bit - that's natural. Similarly, the shorter runs, especially on the same day as quality can be a gear down too - you naturally warm up over longer runs.

You're doing a huge amount of running - is this to step into marathons when you can? I don't recall many tempos or quicker stuff either? You must have some high mental fortitude. I'm doing my 10s Mon to Fri, but it is split one day easy, one day quality for some variety.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Re: Wool,

Thanks Ric, just some idle banter on my behalf really but I know there was good intention in your words. I’ll leave it there though at risk of this becoming the financial planning thread.

You're welcome. Just checking. 

Excellent impromptu Marathon Jools. I've been toying with knocking one off myself for a laugh, but unless I too get some on course drinks, I'll just have to fix my distance to the furthest I can do on what I can drink at the start.

During this Virus lockdown business, I certainly won't use a shop for something as frivolous as a top up drink.

Btw, I can drink a whole litre of dilute Luc Sport in one go. I'll time myself doing that tomorrow. If it takes more than a minute I'd be surprised. 

And if I run hard enough, it won't reappear either.

Shoes?

I either use studs for off road in the mud. Or racers for the road, regardless of distance. 

The idea behind that is to develop the muscles and style required for faster running. I find conventional trainers a bit clumpy.

This week, training has gone:

April 14   Cycle 77 miles
    April 15   Run 15 miles
    April 16   Cycle 53 miles
    April 17   Cycle 62 miles
    April 18   Run 15 miles
    April 19   Cycle 33 miles
    April 20   Cycle 65 miles

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

Pete - 9 feet is quite a small acceptable drop off over 3miles. I can see a lot of people thinking something's flat and being caught out. One direction I go off on Sunday runs I look at and think, that's net down, really?

It's a difficult game picking the right route for a tempo. Especially if you're trying to fit in work work and time restrictions.

The track was superb in some ways, but the mental trudge of mass laps, with any wind replicated 20 odd times awkward. Also people would say it was too sanitised an environment.

Similarly, Dorney is a nice 2 lap job. But we all know the wind can be extreme on one side!

Wycombe wise, I either liked a 0.9mile loop that had a little up and down each lap. You'd get a little boost reaching the little up each lap. A few things to avoid, like drives, petrol station (!) and dogs :)

I think the most mentally uplifting one though is what I did last week, do a 3-4mile warmup across town, then start on a long straight main road/pavement on a slight slope.

The version I did last week ended up being 80 feet net down over 6miles. That's 13feet a mile.

I suppose it's counterbalanced a bit by a few blind road crossings you have to ease for, and other little bits like an about turn in a pub's carpark :)

I think back in the day I didn't do the about turn, I did onto work round the back of the park, so probably would have been a slightly higher net down.

The intensity is the key I suppose and you're not often going to have a totally flat smooth route unless you pick the earlier options.

• Options
    alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Evening! 

The shoes have to be orange, SG. Alehouse team colours. 

re footballers and running, Alan Ball could have been an extremely good runner! He ran 1:52.xx for 880 yards in 1961 whilst an apprentice at Bolton, age 16. One of my club mates beat him, just, and my club mate went on to win the AAA Junior mile in 1962 in 4:14.4. Ball would have been a tremendous  5 or 10,000 runner, I'm sure. 

Footballers in those days were a completely different build: Ball was 5 ft 6 and under 9 stone when he signed for Blackpool, I understand. A long distance runner's build, and this translated onto the pitch: he never stopped. You don't see footballers of that build any more and I wonder if someone like Ball would ever get looked at these days. Nobby Stiles was also 5 ft 6 and also a runner, chasing down the opposition all over the pitch. Different times!

Back in my self-isolating box (except for the one permitted bout of exercising a day).
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Nice one Aley - a pal has the "orange" ones, and confirmed my suspicion from the net browser in that they're closer to salmon pink than orange :D

I went for black in the end :)

Hopefully they arrive before Friday's sesh. Scrape out another tempo in these Hyperions before they're ready to be binned tomorrow :)

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    SG - fair point, i guess youd have to slow down some runs with more hard days, but as long as you arnt getting niggles like you say.......yes lots of easy plodding here, ive done a couple of 3min rep sessions since lockdown, was planning another this week, but no tempos in a while. Im hoping to be able to jump back up to 80+ mpw pretty seamlessly from june time.....cant afford to slack off too much, as ive got another flipping birthday coming round in 3 weeks.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

Yep TR, while obvs a bit younger than you, I definitely feel the "no time to lose" thing now more than ever.

That's why I try and squeeze every ounce out of a race experience nowadays, and why the race report, the drive, (the parking!), the chats with race pals at the race and online, and even filing the race number away like some ridiculous anorak ( :D) are all part of it.

That's why if 2010 does end on a pitiful 1 race, at least that was Wokey half - and a traditional top trip out with Bus.

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    SG its 9m of net drop permitted (so we were told) not 9ft, so a fair amount (0.18%) over a 5k. We def already have people plotting their route to use this, and if other clubs don't have the 9m limit many of their runners no doubt find routes with much bigger net drops!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ah 9 metres...which google tells me is about 30 feet.

So only a bit less than my tempo per mile. Which makes sense.