Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

ps - where are the results? I can't find them!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

79 runners wow! Tiny race! I bet the second you looked around at the start you thought...i'm having this today!

Normally sod's law dictates there'll be one big local shark around to foil things. Today you were that shark.

Phil, sell those races to us.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Not at all - when I lined up at the start there was only two of us! The rest were late, so no chance to eye them up. I did see a bloke in the hall who I know has won other races and I was expecting him to appear from behind at some point, having got caught up with the crowd coming in late but I guess he was just not running.

Anyway, you can only race those who are there image

Thanks for the link Philip.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

the other 77 runners were late?

You sure you 2 weren't early? image

• Options
    Johnas tidy session that. You must be targeting something soon enough I take it with sessions like that?

Do you guys on here do speed work year round?

9x1 mile in 5:55 today in a 16.5m run image progress.

Joined last two together for a 12min effort.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

the other 77 runners were late?

You sure you 2 weren't early? image

If we were, the other guy finished about 60th! They just hadn't been told where to go, so we ended up starting at 5 past. Ironic, as last week's race started 5 mins early!

Andy - nice flag! I've just folded one of those up at the end of our international themed street party! I tend to do speed work all year round, but with a slight extra focus in the summer.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Philip - how did you find those results? Your link works to take me directly to the xl spreadsheet, but there's no link on the website as far as I can see?

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

well done on the win Bus. You can only beat what is in front of you (or behind you in your case). Is the general consensus on here that Saturday races are pot hunting races? 

nice session too Johnas. When's the next Race?  it looks like the ankle has well and truly cleared up knocking them paces out. I'm going to have a go at one of your threshold sessions. Are they done on the road or track? 

had a couple of decent runs over the last couple of days. A double of Friday where the evening run was a bit too quick for what should've been easy and an 8 mile run yesterday with 3 x 1 mile off 1 min sandwiched in the middle. 5.19- 5.20- 5.24 were the times. I tried to go at 5k pace but I find it unbelievably tough to stick at it in training and im constantly wondering how I get near that pace in a race as it feels like I'm sprinting. image 13.5 mile LSR with 2000ft of ascent coming up this morning then a family christening.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Matt, sat xc are higher standard than sun xc in fairness, and just joshing with Bus a little.

There's a certain art to a pot hunt. There's a lot of criteria behind a good one.

Get it right, and you have that satisfaction.

Get it wrong, and you can end up stoking up a pot of ire from a bunch of people image

• Options

http://www.runtherock.co.uk/

Matt, many runners are a touch OCD so as well as running the extra half mile to make the week 50, they run the same races every year and have a whole set of patterns and formula to follow so anything that is out of that pattern is distrusted.

So a Saturday race is not necessarily a pot hunt race but if it is a summer road race and they are normally Sunday am or mid week evening then Saturday is a candidate due to the odd nature.

Sometimes the rules go wrong and the inaugural Saturday 4.2 mile stile jumping with a prize of cheese attracts a lot of guys.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

same races every year? Bus, you there? image

3miles doddled out. Groin fine, stomach achey. Ho hum, look forward to a day of lounging around now though.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Thanks Matt. Some good sessions there. I wish more races were on a Saturday, as it makes the rest of the weekend a bit more family friendly!

Interestingly the guy who won the 5k yesterday in 19.54 is 16.18 parkrun man. He definitely wasn't pushed though as he won by more than 5 mins!

• Options
    mee meepmee meep ✭✭✭

Looks like i need to bridge a three minute gap next time we are in the same race Phil image Perhaps not quite yet though. Good luck at Wargrave.

By getting to the start line early yesterday Bus you managed to miss the mass warm up of arm shaking and hip pumping put on by some crazy with a microphone.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

You're lucky he didn't do the 10k then Bus!  Was it just out for an easy win or something!

Lucky my old club weren't around, as he'd have taken some flak for that!

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I think he'd done some long distance relay the week before. Must admit, I hadn't realised he was such a fast lad until I checked his Po10!

Mee meep- I was at the hall when they started doing that warm up, whihc is why I made such a sharp exit and headed to the start lineimage

• Options

Hope everyone's enjoying their Sunday runs or races.

Work for me later .. just go back from my Sunday run.

After a good week, I thought I'd reward myself with a nice easy pace long run.

Did 13.4 miles undulating in 1:35 .. just over 7min miles.

Didn't think I'd ever be finding that sort of run easy!!

• Options

Wargrave 10k for me today. Not a race I would have chosen to do (hills, wind, twists, grass) but it it in our club champs and I needed to run it to get a reasonable stab at completing 7 events so I get 7 counters (ideally I would do more and drop a dog or so). 

After yesterday and bright sunshine today started very cold (blue fingers) so a fairly long but slow warm up (literally) and then off at the start. First half mile or so was round a playing field on grass (why?) and then out onto the road for a quick loop of a housing estate before the race set off en route for real. There is a Wargrave 5k as well as the 10k and the 10k basically pisses about, then runs the second half of the 5k, then a bit more larking about, then the first half of the 5k and then back home.

Settled down fairly well, the first couple of ks neatly inside 3:45 (6 minute pace) and then a couple of slower ks as the course went uphill into the headwind. The first lady pulled alongside me at this point and she was puffing and panting and breathing deeply in a manner that wouldn't have gone amiss as a voice over for a certain type of gentleman's film. The hill at this stage is not steady, it has sections of up, then a dip, then and another up etc, and I noticed that she was doing badly on the ups so I gave it a bit of effort and dropped her and the entourage she was pulling along. Got to the top of the course and half way in 19:12 so all thoughts of a good time were off and it was down to place now.

The downhill section which is normally very easy and fast (which is the start of the 5k, you are following this closely) was a lot harder of tight muscles but the runners ahead seemed to be coming back so it was a case of concentrate on form and keep steadily pulling them in. The guy in a yellow top, pony tail and 3/4 length shorts (I'll call him person running in colourful kit, or PRICK for short) looked like he'd had enough and was wandering a bit so I set him as the first target and passed him at just after 8k, and a local rival, Gareth Morris, was the next ahead (and must have been having a bad race, afterwards I found he had a stitch) so I slowly pulled him in but made the schoolboy error of passing him just short of 9k rather than waiting a bit longer. From 9k it was all about racing: Gareth regathered and passed me and then as we came into the village and entered the playing fields PRICK elbowed his way past me and sprinted on. I had really had enough by now and another local runner, Steve Roberts, came past and I had no reply and coasted round the field for 38:06 finish.

19:12 and 18:54 splits means a technical negative split but that is all bollocks as the course is up and then back down. Generally happy with the run, beat the people I needed to for the overall champs points, will have to wait and see what sort of times and age gradings others got for the age graded part. Bit upset that I couldn't muster a finish and get a few scalps but the race was not for that and the week was big week for me at 46 miles with a lot of quality so I need to make special effort to plan for races and rest a bit.

Splits below as a record, nothing spectacular and really just echo the profile.

1    3:46.9     0.64     5:57
    2    3:35.7     0.60     6:02
    3    3:55.3     0.63     6:11
    4    4:06.7     0.62     6:36
    5    3:47.7     0.62     6:09
    6    3:49.7     0.63     6:07
    7    3:50.0     0.62     6:10
    8    3:36.8     0.62     5:52
    9    3:

• Options
    Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭
    andy the deestrider wrote (see)
    Johnas tidy session that. You must be targeting something soon enough I take it with sessions like that?

Do you guys on here do speed work year round?

9x1 mile in 5:55 today in a 16.5m run image progress.
    Joined last two together for a 12min effort.

Bloody hell Andy that's one hell of a long run!

I ran leg 6 of the Welsh Castles Relay yesterday. Came 7th was 8th for the majority of the race. MY GPS turned off so I had no idea how far I'd run. I had a long stretch and counted the guy in front was 58 seconds ahead. But within 2 miles I passed him and within the last 0.5 mile I pulled out 20 seconds on him. Was bloody hot... 22 degrees.

• Options
    The Bus wrote (see)

Interestingly the guy who won the 5k yesterday in 19.54 is 16.18 parkrun man. He definitely wasn't pushed though as he won by more than 5 mins!

Are you sure? The po10 has one guy with the smae name who is 16:18 parkrun but his last race on po10 is 16 Sep 2012 so it may just be guy with the same name.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Definitely, his profile has a photo. He said he hadn't raced for a while as his wife had a baby earlier this year.

Went for an 8.3M hilly xc before lunch. Legs were actually Ok, and it was my fastest pace for that sort of route for a while-bizarre!

• Options
    Stevie see- it didn't feel all that bad to be honest. got one of them marafun things coming up in October so figured doing long mile rep sessions is an good way of building up to the sessions like 18 with 10 at marathon pace. Next week I'll try to do a 3m tempo instead of the 2mile bit. So overall 1 extra mile and more of an endurance test with the prolongued effort.

Nice easy couple of recovery runs at 8:00pace (ish)
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Sorry Philip, completely missed your race report image

Good report, but sounds like not the most fun of races. Shame you couldn't have taken out the guy with the 3/4 length shorts on - too tired to muster a quick kick to the shins as he went past (or even a tug on the pony tail image) ?

Stevie - also mised yours (must have been half asleep earlier!). Sounds like you did I good job in your leg in warm conditions - wish is was that warm here (16 deg with a cold NE wind!)

Andy - is that Abingdon?

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Had a bit of a massive unnecessary long sleep. Probably some kind of sulky "if I have this growing ache I'll just hide away from it all" type sulk.

But...back up, and what  a glorious report from Phil!

The guy in a yellow top, pony tail and 3/4 length shorts (I'll call him person running in colourful kit, or PRICK for short) looked like he'd had enough and was wandering a bit

Goodness!! I did laugh at this from Float like a Butterfly, Sting like a Bee Jones imageimage

Hope he doesn't stalk out stuff on the net like you do!

Good relaying Stevie. Is it more glorious in a relay to lead the team out, do a later leg and make up a big deficit, or to bring in the team on the last leg I wonder?

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

When you look at race results for races you haven't done it's always an interesting process isn't it.

You tend to take your pb and see how it'd slot in, forgetting that the pb is generally from some higher quality race on the flat!

Then you start looking at the names.

Dasher Alex had a stormer, mid 33s on his own at the front wow!

Then more interesting, Rob F in 35.15 and Ben from Fetch in 35.20. Both chaps I've had 1sec margin races with this year.
    Rob seems to race a stackload, and can waiver a bit in results, and while tidy on that course, and that doesn't look like a full steam job knowing his quality.

Some quality below them though, Dasher Rob, and Frankie just sub 36, a bit lower down the top 10.

Hard to tell unless you're there really.

ps Phil, do you look forward to creaming off some V50 trophies in the next couple of years (if Ric isn't there!), or do you more fear the slight drop off that might bring?

• Options
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

Phil, do you look forward to creaming off some V50 trophies in the next couple of years (if Ric isn't there!), or do you more fear the slight drop off that might bring?

I am 47, 48 in September, so 50 isn't a long way off. I don't imagine dropping much pace by then but V50 is still not an easy category. Recent races:

Staines 10k, ric 36:28, me 37:17, next V50 37:41
    LFOTF 5k, me 17:59, first V50 18:50
    Wargrave 10k, I just beat the 3d and 4th V50s home but almost 2 minutes back from the winner

so yes, I hope to get a few prizes but need to hunt cleverly.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

A bit less cleverly then us In the SM category though!!

Although having said that, I see more and more races locally that could have been potential trophies recently.

Just need to lose this niggle, get a little faster for a year or 2 , and borrow Bus' hoover.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Great runs, races and reports guys.

Clocked up 74 miles this week with today's helping being 10 miles with a 6 mile hill session in the middle (3miles up/down). Finished by 7:30am so you can imagine the daft hour I went out at. 

Next race is my clubs home fixture of the Summer League. Usually held during a heatwave, the long range forecast predicts as much.

🙂

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

That's a VERY big week there Ric! MIne was the biggest for a while with 54M, though I did add on 60M on the bike, which helps. 

SG - don't forget my yson will be switched off after Septemberimage

Talking of categories, I join Philip next week for a couple of years image. Still another 15 more years of being beaten by V50s to look forward to image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

45 wow! Are there many V45 distinctions though?

It's normally races I'm picking up some award in that have V45's meaning you have to wait about 35mins wading through all the awards.

A bit like at the Marlow 5 actually! The social team prize should have been first up.

Ric, huge mileage!

Sometimes when I pick up the latest niggle, that you always fear might be the one that ends the big training, I wonder if a better bet might not be just becoming the agent for some of you super vets.

And touting you around local races to secure free entries and bigger pots image