Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

That sounds pretty havy Max, and hopefully that! I'd probably say it's more a dull discomfort than a pain.

Pain would be it hurting and impacting walking, sitting etc.

And Ric yours sounds a fair bit worse too, so it's good even that didn't impact the running!

Had a few bits andpieces aching in the warmup, of what was meant to be  3x1m at tempo, 10k, 5k off 90secs.

However, got the reps out fairly nicely, 5.41,5.32, 5.26

The 3rd one, for a challenge/the ego of wanting to peg it past work, meant I started 100metres uphill on the last one. And in fairness my "ideal" 5k pace is one i'd possibly struggle to repeatedly hit, especially for a mile.

I think it's like the "race effect". You stop noticing aches when concentrating on running hard, yet feel every bump on easy running.

Either way, felt a decent session, well pleased in the circumstances.

10miles easy tomorrow, will see how it all settles though!

Bus/Phil, around at all? Some chat might distract!

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

tough session for me last night. 7x 5mins with first 5 @ threshold and last 2 @ 10k pace (60 secs recovery between each). what made it hard was the tempo session on Tuesday and a track session on Sunday and I could feel them in the legs.

reps came out ok but couldn't quite nail the 10k reps as was pretty spent by then. In total, 9.9km in 35 mins so not bad considering (total 6mins recovery)

5.45, 5.41, 5.41, 5.38, 5.40, 5.38, 5.34

• Options
    Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

Great session Johnas, especially off such small recoveries. If the session had been all 7 at tempo it would have been an ask never mind hitting the pace up to 10K.

SG, if you can manage sessions like that I wouldn't worry too much. Reps looked swift. Funny how running fast your OK then like you say, everything hurts on a easy run as the intense mind set is lost.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

yeah repeated tempo, especially when it's a fresh pace zone based on a race breakthrough is a hard zone, so a good session indeed Johnas.

The way to make Threshold/10mile pace/true tempo feel easy is making it the first rep like I did today!

Stevie, I think it's just back to square 1 when I first saw the doc. stay on the NSAIDs, carry on, and hopefully like last time it'll ease off again. Physio Tuesday hopefully can have a feel around, and quote me some impressive sounding muscle ive slightly strained.

I wonder how it happened. Would be ridiculous if it was down to  "straining" 5mins before the start of a race to ensure on board was "all empty"  image

• Options
    Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

No offence but if you strained a stomach muscle pushing out a pre-race poo I'd have to laugh!

Hopefully it's noting too malicious and like you say, just an upset muscle after a big 400 session.

My legs seem to have got away with that 200 session yesterday. Legs feel okay today.

• Options

SG, racing Wargrave 10k so tomorrow is a day off by which I mean cutting the lawn in the morning and sailing in the afternoon.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

true Stevie true.

And yes whoops, fair does Phil.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Shit a brick! or bust a gut tryin.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

The classic use of "No offence".

A closely related relative of "I don't mean to be rude but..."

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    RicF wrote (see)

Shit a brick! or bust a gut tryin.

The biggest wonder of racing, is that no matter how many unleashings you've made pre race, no matter how long ago it was you last ate or drank anything, you'll still need to be attempting to curl one out 5mins before the start.

It is a marvellous job that 99% of races start in/near fields or parks.

• Options
    Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

The PB I set 2 years ago for a HM at the GNR was all down the huge boulder I let go of whilst hiding in a patch of bushes on the bypass. Never have a done anything that size again or ran that quickly. Coincidence? image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Sometimes it's a bit of a game of Risk, in finding out how close you can "unfurl" to the start line.

I think my record must be about 10metres away.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Those shrubs and trees on the GNR bypass receive a massive boost of nitrates and fertilizer every year.

To add to this 'base' discussion. At one edition of the Cabbage Patch, I had gone through 5 miles in 26:49 (worth a mention) and was aiming for a 10k pb from the 7 mile split, when my guts gave out. Cost me a load of time but can realistically say I ran the next mile in sub 5 minutes. I say ran, but really I was sprinting. Loss of weight and recovery I guess.

Happened again at nine miles forcing a slow down for a while. It was just 'too' public at that point. Ended up with 55:29 which remains my best time. 

One that got away, sort of.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

was a simple letting of the pants taking the strain not an option?

Lycra pants would probably make an effective nappy.

• Options
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

was a simple letting of the pants taking the strain not an option?

Lycra pants would probably make an effective nappy.

Tri shortsimage Got a little pad in them, and they dry very quickly.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

And we wonder why this thread doesn't attract many women...

I did my dummy run for my leg of the Ridgeway Relay today.  Since it's an hour's drive each way I took the full day off.  Bus, in case you're interested, I parked in Tring, got the 51 out to Ivinghoe, ran up to the Beacon, ran my leg to Wendover, ran halfway back and stopped at Tring.

Suppose it underlined how much I prefer short flat courses over long hilly ones.  I went wrong within about a kilometre of the start at the Beacon and ended up running a couple of extra miles.  The uphills are one thing, but there are some terrifying looking descents, one straight off the Beacon, and a particularly bad one with loads of loose stuff on the ground into the woods east of Wendover.  It's going to be interesting.

In the end I suppose I ran about 18 miles, which all told took me around 3 hours what with taking breaks to check the map, drink water and get lost. The result of that was that I ended up feeling absolutely shit afterwards, which handily came on as I sat in a traffic jam on the M25.  My wife told me I looked just as rough as at the end of the marathon.  Felt batter once I got home and had something to eat (after a Bus style retch).

I have planned to take the next week off running (apart from the odd short jog) to make sure I'm fresh for the start of marathon training.  I've been racing a lot.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I was thinking the same thing Dachs! Remind me never to shake hands with anyone after a race again...

Glad to see you using the bus too image

Sounds like an interesting day out, but shame it ended (quite literally) with a bad taste in the mouth. There's nothing worse than feeling that post-run general nauseous knakeredness when you're in a traffic jam - cold sweats too I bet!

I'm thinking of a similar approach to the Abingdon build-up. Always difficult to actually do it though! Might make a compromise and have week off post Wycombe Half in July.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

That's a cracking Day out Dachs. Ask Bus about a 10k we did in West Wycombe which had some ridiculously steep descents...

Didn't seem to stop some of the mentalists ahead of me absolutely thundering down.

• Options
    JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Don't know about descents but more like ascents for me this morning. 4th quality session this week.

10 mins threshold (5.36 av), 12x 45sec hill sprints (5.11 av), 5 mins threshold (5.39 av). All with 90 sec jog recoveries. Deserved afternoon in the pub now!

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Just back from the "Run the Rock" off-road 10k! I'm glad I decided to enter on Thursday, as not only have I now got a free afternoon and race-free Sunday so I can make the most of our annual street party, but I won it! 

It was an interesting experience, as I led from the off, which is something I'm definitely not used to! There was some pressure from the guy in second place, as I kept thinking I would tire and he would catch me, right up until the final k when I manged to open up a bit of a gap thanks to a bit of extra speed on the uphills. Turns out it was Mee Meep - a former resident of this very forum! (good to meet you again Mee Meep, even if my aged memory played tricks on me!).

My time of about 43 mins was slow, but it was a pretty tough course with over 750 feet of climbing, stiles and gates, rutted paths and gravel tracks to contend with, so I'm not overly worried!  Being an inuagural charity event, there were also a couple of marshalling issues - usual thing of enthusiastic but inexperienced marshalls clapping rather than pointing where to go. Not usually such an issue when you can follow others! There was also a bit of a problem at the start which was late as no one knew where it was! They also started the 5k 200m behind the 10k at the same time, so the leaders immediately ran into the back of the 10k tail enders - doh! Those things aside l though, a good attempt for a first race by the organisers I thought. Besides - I now hold the course record as well image (though I can't see it lasting past the next one to be honest!)

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Johnas, what's going on? 4th quality session in a week? Are you trying to destruct or something!? If you manage to stay in one piece you should be well on for good future times!

Nice win indeed Bus. You're leaning about this pot hunting marlarkey aren't you....Saturday race, check, inaugural event, check. Hard course for nutters check!

It boggles the mind how tough a course it was if you're coming out 43mins! What's that 5-6mins off current 10k fitness!?

Hope it was a nice trophy!

I went over to Marlow for a 10. Which may have been foolish on Regatta day, but was alright.

Instruction was "10miles very easy" bearing in mind yesterday was a quality day.

So that and my aches were on my mind.

However, despite about  7miles being offroad with gates top open, dogs/wheelchairs blocking bridges and hills, it quite oddly came out at 7.00 dead to the second. I can only think the top off running through the packed high street hyped the pace up on miles 1 and 10!

Stomach seems to have eased a bit, but the groin was tightening...will stretch that like a beast, and see what it's like by Tue physio.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

6.5 mins off Staines....

Nice trophy, but no cash!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

harder course than that Bradenham 10k?

That's probably the toughest I've done, with Frieth and Icknield Way (now defunct I think) the competition.

• Options

Having cycled up/down and around Ivinghoe I think you're mad.  We done though. Good win Bus. 

Accompanied the family to Frimley parkrun where my wife did the 5km and the kids did 2.5. I shuffled  around 2.5 and realised I have to rest as the Achilles was sore. So definitely off for a few weeks. 

Very proud of Mrs,  even if she was last. (413rd).

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

quite a big field parkrun that Iron..400+ wow!

• Options

Very much so. Last week at Frimley was 360 ish. Today they ran out of tokens and got her time wrong. Still,  she took at least 2 minutes if last week through a run /walk strategy. 

She's taken my Garmin too image

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

That's just the start - she'll want all your kit before too long! Hoep your shoes don't fit her...

Rest up that Achilles.

Yes, harder than Bradenham SG. About the same amount of climbing, but rougher under foot in a lot of places and less runners around the same speed to keep you going!

• Options

Good run there Bus and a win. Results are up and I am surprised how close Mee Meep was to you: I have raced him 4 times XC and the closest he was to me was 3 minutes back when I jogged round Sandhurst injured last year. Were you taking it easy up front or did he have a great one? I guess he is marshalling tomorrow (he is a Wargrave Runner) so had a bona fide excuse for a Saturday race and not a pot huntimage

• Options

Anyone tempted by the Southern Champs:

http://seaa.org.uk/onlineregs/meeting.php?MeetID=140

22nd and 23rd June at Watford, they have 3000 and 5000m, all po10.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Difficult to say Philip. May be a bit of both, but if he'd got closer would I have been able to respond with more? Possibly, but one of those we'll never know!  It felt like an easyish pace for the first few k, but I was definitely working hard for the last few.