Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options

Scott - I'm actually training for Frankfurt marathon on 26 Oct but you're right that tonight it's a 10k session. After a disappointing summer of 10ks, I've scheudled one in for 6 Oct - it's a new tactic for this marathon cycle to try something different, rather than just knock out HM after HM in the lead up to the marathon. A change of focus if you will.

I've spent the last 6 weeks concentrating on lots of tempo which definitely helped me run sub 1.15 at HM the other week but have kept the focus of my interval training on 10k and faster pace with the 10k in mind. Mileage is still around 70+ per week to keep volume for Frankfurt. Unfortuantely, my 10k PB (34.39) was classified as 10KMT on Power of 10 and to be honest - i think it's soft. I went through 10k on my last HM in 34.45ish.

On the cycling note, I also cycle approx 30 - 40 miles per week. It's just commuting and I keep it easy but i think it's helped with my cardio fitness and leg strength FWIW

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Scott - I just jogged the 400 recoveries in 2 minutes ish rather than keeping to a particular time.  I would usually have more limited recoveries (maybe 200m) or a timed standing recovery, but I didn't want to mash myself too much as I have a 20 today.  It's the long runs that are most important at the moment, as I have more than enough basic speed to hit my marathon target, it's just converting the time upwards that's the issue.

• Options

Just got in from my cycle - I reduced the time purely as I am not used to the bike. Sore arse was uncomfortable and I'll have to deal with it over next few weeks but knowing I have my run later anyway I did 5.41m (half my target route) time was 17:02 which average speed of 18MPH. Average to say the least but I wasnt flying.. Will stretch down and loosen up for my run in 2 hours....

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options

**delurk** See some of you chaps at Aldershot on Sunday then.  I may end up racing all of you!  I'm in our V40 team (3rd leg), and there's a good chance I'll need to double up to make up the numbers in our C (!) team for the senior race.  I'm hoping to squeeze another sub-20 on current form (course PB is 19:51), but probably a bit slower if and when required to do it again. image

Dachs - nice K's. My tuppeny-worth re: the Aldershot course - as others have said, there are ups and downs, with very little flat, which I quite like but it means you need to run your own race; it amazes me how people's form varies between going uphill and downhill. If it's busy I'm usually overtaking people gradually going up the long drags, only to be overtaken again on the sharper drops. I should probably work on that. Anyway, cracking race.  See you there.

• Options

sod the running Phil - nice new pub opened near you that looks well worth a visit by the looks of their beer list on facebook - the flying pig.   image

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Icat.

I never ever went easy on the bike. That was the beauty of it. Didn't matter if it was 10, 20 or 50 miles, it was always at pace (20 mph plus)

My first sub 34 minute 10k came off a bike run schedual. Here's the page from my diary in 1990.

/members/images/493151/Gallery/bikerun.png

Proof if you need it.

🙂

• Options

Some tasty reps going on here boys! Dachs , that sounds like a lot of hard work, you must be in great form . 

Scott: judging by your workouts and last park run, I wouldn't be surprised if you ran a 33:xx 10k at some point in the not too distant future provided you have the endurance. 

800s for me this morning (well, 760m reps on a cow field). 

7x760m in 2'39, 2'30, 2'29, 2'28, 2'31, 2'29, 2'25 With 2 - 2.5 min recoveries.

In hindsight, it would have been more productive to do 8-10 at around 2'40 off 90s, but it didn't seem hard enough on my first rep.  Legs hurting as I started squats and dead lifts in the gym again on Tuesday. Haven't really lifted weights for months, only light stuff to keep me going. 

• Options

Cycling is definitely good fro running performance  - lookat Rob Jebb for example!

Its particualry good for building strength for hills. Just need to make sure your bike is set up properly to avoid knee or back problems, don't build up too quickly (always my problem!), stretch appropriately and pick your sessions sensibly.

Not sure how that works out Tim - sounds fast, but my head can't cope with 760m repsimage

Slow double for me yesterday (tired legs). Plan for rest of the week is easy XC home tonight, 16M into work tomorrow morning, with last 5 building to MP, 3 miles very easy saturday then 10k xc race Sunday, with extra warm up and down to make the week up to 70M.

Johnas - is that the South Bucks 10k you are doing?

• Options

After my cycle this morning I ran in 5.13m at 6:03 pace- 31:04 total- windy but luckily avoided to massive downpour we know have here!! I will be doing parkrun over next few weeks so will see where my 5km is at! 33:xx seems so quick!!

• Options

Not for a parkrun image

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Bus, out of curiosity, how does a XC race fit in with training for a marathon?

🙂

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

This is the 1000th page, by the way,  What happened to that 1000th page party SG was supposed to be organising?  The one with dwarves, cocaine, strippers and jenga?

Oh well, will have to do all that on my own.  Once I've picked the kids up from school.

Cheers for that PP.  20 is a nice round target that I shall also be aiming at, although it does depend largely on the course.  A bit of up and down is OK, keeps it interesting.

Tim, nice bovine dodging reps.

Just done a 20 at 7:02mm pace through the plush villages east of Reading (Twyford, Wargrave, Sonning etc), so not suffering too much from the reps last night.

• Options

Don't be silly Dachs, you can't play jenga on your own. He's obviously saving the party for the 20,000th post.

• Options

Ah yes, happy 1000th page Stevie! 

• Options

Johnas - Corr!  East Dulwich Road.  I wonder what that used to be?  Will have to check it out.  These craft IPAs are really catching on.  I'll have a Jaipur, please. image

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Found the result of my fastest run at Aldershot from 1999.

I put down in the diary about how slow and duff I was. Time was 20:52.

I'll be hoping I'm that slow and duff this Sunday. How times change, for older runners usually for the worse.

🙂

• Options

Bus - it's Cricklade as i'm over there visiting the in-laws

PhilPub - If you haven't tried Magic Rock brewery from that list, I can highly recommend them -  they're doing some great stuff. my 'craft' beer addiction is almost as obsessive as my running

• Options

Ric, I can't believe how low your weekly mileage was at the time! You obviously had a massive base. Were those weeks 'average' in terms of your training at the time?

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

Ric, I can't believe how low your weekly mileage was at the time! You obviously had a massive base. Were those weeks 'average' in terms of your training at the time?

Er, no Cat.

That training was more than usual. I think I might have once run 50 miles in a week but the average was around 25 miles/wk all the way to the time I ran my first marathon (2:46)  Even that was off a peak of 40 miles. Mind you, there was a guy in my club who put his sub 2:30 marathons down to having increased his average to 45 miles/wk.

Loads of cycling. The rule was, cycle much harder than you think you should and run much easier likewise.(HR moniter shows why)

I was always a better biker. There were runners who could thrash me on the road and track simply on account of biomechanics. On a bike it was just pure strength and horsepower and I could blow any of them right off my back wheel. I got fed up waiting for them so trained alone.

Best combination was a 32 mile bike ride averaging 21mph followed 90 minutes later with a 5 mile run in 27:46. 

I don't go out on a bike anymore, however.

/members/images/493151/Gallery/bike2.png

🙂

• Options

nice ricf .. I think I'll be a stronger runner but never been able to measure my cycling... 

Plan an is to keep running and like today introduce cycling- I have a distance time I can work with now and then my longer run into work today was ok.. My legs have got stiffer through the day though- I'm still at work and will be running home about 10pm.. 

Little annoyed as can't make track sessions next Tuesday or Thursday so going to have to do my own thing- trying to do speedwork instead of 100% steady runs.. I have some training schedules when I was u15 u17 u20 and an ok standard so will post them see what people think 

• Options

Tim I wanted to reply a while ago but forgot image 

you say 33:xx provided on endurance - I am literally running one maybe 2 runs that are more than 3 miles a week. And the longest run I've ever done is 7.8 miles.. Most are 5.x 

need to do LSRs right ? Or would I be ok getting to a stage where I can do my 5.13m into work and 2.26m home every day??

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I reckon you two should team up and become a double act. Master and the apprentice.

Ric can take you under his wing, and show you a non burn out route to fast times that he achieved.

And if it gets too heavy going theory wise, Ric can pad it out with the 100s of pretty boy photos of himself he has image

• Options

Plan image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

my work is done here!

see you in a bit

• Options

Whilst we're on the subject of 1k reps, that's my planned session for tonight but not ran at the paces quoted here! 8x 1k @ 3.22 (90s); then 4 min recovery; then 5x200m @ 35s (30s). 

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Good stuff Johnas. Almost as good as the first time you posted it.

• Options

Ric, you must be genetically predisposed to run fast. Some of those numbers beggar belief.

Congrats SG. 2 milestones in one day! image

Hefty session Johnas!

4km recovery for me, after an hour's speed intervals on the bike.

• Options

Scott.. I would advise a long run, once a week, 10-16 miles (lower end if training for 5k /upper for 10k-HM). 

I think that i run fairly high miles for my rave distances though. Got my 5k pb after 60mpw constant and my recent 10 k pb from 65-70. 

When in a 10k race , you feel mentally, that you have the distance under control if you run 2-3 times that distance each Sunday! 

Though, you have got the same 5k time as me off completely different training!