Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

can't beat a medal or 2! You've restored the threads rep after my average run out, and subsequent withdrawal from racing any time soon. Top notch image

• Options
    .Seb.Seb ✭✭✭

Clearly you can beat one or 2 medals, 3! Good job Dean nice tactical 800m. time is irrelevant in this case. did many turn out?

Why stop racing SG! you ran reasonably and it was damn windy so that accounts for a slower than expected time surely. dont be too hard on yourself. Come on you have to do cabbage patch! its our yearly outing, Ric your in right? and Phil?

• Options

SG, 1 weather effected race aside you have delivered recently.  Things will feel different in a week

seb, 11 I think in the end

• Options

Dean, well done on a much deserved medal. 

You've got me excited about middle distance next year now! Looking forward to the summer! 

Stevie. Good work in the bad weather. Still kept a good pace. You taking a rest now? 

• Options

Still an impressive time given the conditions and recent injury issues SG.

Congratulations Dean - that's a weekend of racing you're not going to forget anytime soon!

The bar has been set again for the standard of race reports by the pair of you as well!

• Options

Nice one gain Deano! That sub 2 is so on for next season!

SG, a good return from a day where conditions were less than ideal. It's always a lottery with those costal races, could be quick, or you could have the wind in your face for 5 miles! What's the focus next son?

I had a flat warming last night, got a bit merry, woke up with street signs in the flat and locked myself out at 3am, woke the neighbours to buzz me in. Therefore I've not run today, just hidden on the sofa!

Northern RR next Saturday to kick the winter off. All roads lead the Leeds Abbey Dash.

• Options

Bet your new neighbours love you Stevieimage

• Options

I'm hoping that they don't know it was me. Nobody ever sees each other anyway!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Some madcap antics that wouldn't be out of place in some frat house american teen film Stevie!!

As for me, the halt to racing probably looks like an overreaction to yesterday's race, which would be a bit crazy given the conditions.

But in honesty, I probably wouldn't have taken much/any off the pb, as I haven't felt top level fitness for a while.

Speaking with Bluenose after, I said as much, and even said, "i don't want to race on the road for a while now". The M man definitely agrees, so I don't think there's any benefit to doing any October 10k/10milers right now.

I think the pelvis niggle , whilst not actually costing me any training days, clearly disrupted the quality sessions, and the last few weeks whilst doing some quality, it hasn't put me in a position where I'd be peaking for these autumn races like normal. The relays probably masked things a bit, as while they were successful in a low key way, they don't offer that obvious comparison to road times.

Instead, I look forward to getting the mileage back up, the intensity back down, and booking in for a nice block of work before going again.

• Options

stevie - absolutely know what you mean.  Im going to speak to my coach on tuesday and try and withdraw from this weekends road relays. i just want a block of weeks where im not building upto a race and get some honest training in. i have a HM in a fortnight which ideally i would pull out of but im racing my brothers and the whole family are down to watch so feel i should run it.  but my main aim its to find some race downtime now.

• Options

seems like a sensible plan SG. You have to be mentally ready too and perhaps you're not in that place either. A good block of consistent training and you'll be in the right place.

Deano - congrats mate. Champs races are less about times and more about medals so to come aay with 3 is a very good day at the office indeed!

Ric - tidy 20 miler even without your trusty tuna bagel! the thought of you f'ing and blind'ing down the first few miles did make me laugh - sorry.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Lots to catch up on

Firstly, massive congratulations to Dean MF Richardson, national gold and bronze medallist.  We all knew you had middle-distance class, and you showed it.  I've come round to the view that you should jack in any thoughts of marathons for the forseeable future, and concentrate on those kinds of distances with the occasional 10K thrown in.  What with Haile in the GNR, it was a good weekend for old folks.

Speaking of which, Ric's run sounds like a nightmare start, but impressive nonetheless.  You can't rely on kids.

SG, in the conditions it's still a fine time.  A break from racing seems sensible.  Are you tempted, given no upcoming races, to just have a complete week off to shift any residual niggles?  To be honest, I would, you go back feeling fresher and more motivated.

Nice drinking by SS.  Setting an example for your students.

Big training run for me yesterday, 20.5 with 14 at marathon pace, toughest training run of the campaign.  Broke it up into 5, 5 and 4 at MP, so I can't take the average 5:57 mm pace as an indicator, and it felt very hard indeed. On that basis, I won't be aiming to set off at anything under 6mm, and at this stage 6:05 for just sub 2:40 looks like the best balance of ambition/safety.

• Options

Very tough run that Dachs. Seems like a sensible target given recent events, and I'm guessing you may find yourself being able to up the pace on the day.

What long runs have you got left planned? I'm still trying to decide on one or two more.

• Options

tough session indeed Dachs, especially on your own!

I'm running a half marathon at MP this weekend, with 3.5 mile pre and post to get it up to 20 miles, as I find it much easier to do in race conditions. Respect for doing it on your lonesome!

• Options

Dachs, sub 2:40 is a nice target, what sort of splits are you looking for? The thing with a marathon is that you can really bet yourself both ways so maybe 78 and 82  or 79 and 81 but if the first half feels good you can do the second half at the same or faster pace and make a big difference to the outcome.

3 on Sunday, 5 today. All gentle with two feet that look more like each other.

• Options

philip - you now have 2 feet that look the same...hopefully its the swelling has gone down on the right rather than the left has ballooned up to match your gout ridden other trotter image

Dachs - good session there, philips advice about the pace giving you options on the day above sounds smart.  If you chase 2.3x it could blow up ugly but on a 2.40 you can play with it mid race depending on how you feel and go hunting for time later on

Ric - we had the south cheshire 20m up here recently and your 2.10   20m would have been 2nd vet and in the top 15 overall i think and run during the day at a confirmed start time.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Johnas, that's ok. Its all entertainment in the end.

I felt I held things (temper wise) together reasonably well under the circumstances. I even waited until a deserted piece of road where I deemed it safe to let my standards drop a bit.

Privately its a shame I didn't get the wonderful run I was hoping for, but that's relays for you. Just a racing incident. As I mentioned in my email thanking the team managers for all their efforts, from the start of the leg before mine to the end of my leg, the team gained 10 minutes on estimate. So a bonus.

In the end, my team had the novelty of finishing 2nd team 'on the road' and 26th out of 54 teams on time.

Some mile splits from the Garmin. Hills started after 10 miles, the cold was beginning to get a grip as well. 15 miles onwards I was on damage limitation.

6:17  6:08  5:58  6:12  5:58

6:09  6:18  6:13  6:14  6:18  

6:42  6:33  6:36  6:27  6:30  

7:08  7:10  6:48  7:00  7:09        

🙂

• Options

Impressive!

A weekend of standing around in the cold, and not drinking enough water seems to have wrecked my legs. Saturday's run was hard work. Today's easier though I got carried away with the pace and now hobbling around.

More calf than achilles. I hope.

• Options

Just for the record, won't be racing Watford on Wednesday: need to concentrate a bit more on Sunday's 10k and with the gout and a few days off, a midweek 3,000m in in the cold isn't going to help.  Odd sort of weather this time of the year, can be hot and dry but can also be very cold and wet.

• Options

Quick run ino work for me today - short route 2.26m at decent pace and no run home.. Did 5.13 lateish last night steadyish..

Hopefully going to be training with SOTON AC tomorrow for 2nd time so hopefully can progress things there.. Need to start looking for a 10KM race and fit one in this year I think...

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Options

What's the 10k on Sunday Philip?

• Options

8 miles this morning for me in 53 mins. Did 3 x1 mile in the middle at 10k speed with 0.5 mile recovery. The second nearly finished me off as mostly uphill and I put more than 5k effort into it. 

• Options

Ten miles for me in the rain (again!!) with 8M at MP -5s target in the middle. Felt reasonably comfortable (though as with anything I do currently more than easy apce there's a bit of leg pain and the hamstrings are tight - but then, 46M in 4 days...) and the pace only dropped off slightly at the end due to pavement conditions rather than any fatigue, so happy with that. Splits for the 8 came out as follows ( though i think the 2nd one was a wobbly GPS reading):

6:25, 6:06 (GPS?), 6:23, 6:25, 6:22, 6:22, 6:22, 6:27

• Options

Nice splits Bus! 6:25s feel hard so you've done well there!

I smashed my toe and cut the skin on the end so haven't run for 2 days, no training tonight either as I have too much work to get through!

• Options

4 x 1km at track today- windy home straight.. Maybe only 6th or so speed session since running this year but hoping to get down with club more.. 

So a 90 second recovery and splits were 3:07 / 3:05 / 3:03 / 3:08 - felt comfyish and could have done at least 1 more maybe done 2 and same pace... Tell that's how I felt, however it'll come but I didn't feel like was pushing fast- maybe just where I haven't done quicker stuff before... 

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Interesting splits there Scott. Interesting inasmuch as when I ran the best session I've managed with 1000's, 5 averaging 3:06 apiece, I ran a 33:42 10k soon after.

One difference was I needed a whole 6 minutes recovery in between each rep.

Update to the RNR. Seems that the incoming runner to my leg was prepared to stop until I was ready to go. However the officials demanded that he finish his leg.

Think about it. The clock keeps running regardless. The incoming runner's time stops when he crosses the line which is when the out going runners time starts.

So in theory a runner could have a lie down in the road, it only adds time to his run. Why officials felt the need to get involved God only knows. All they had to do was record the times if and when they occurred. The email I sent should sort things out. Either that or a future ban because of it.

🙂

• Options

Definatley interesting RicF and the 33:42 is a solid time! I really am so keen now to run a good 10KM! Need to find one! 

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Scott, around 6/7 weeks ago I ran either 5/6 x 1000 off 90 secs in around 3.04 and ran 15.51 for 5km off the back of it. Previous to running my PB at 10k which is 33.15 I did 8 x 1000 off 90 secs all were around 3.14. 

Get a 10 pencilled in! 

Finally got back out on the roads with a pleasing, uneventful 6 miles @ 7min mile pace. Glad to be back out running and apart from my calves getting a little tight towards the end, (think its my 4/5 run on Tarmac in 5/6 weeks) it felt extremely comfortable breathing and effort wise.

solid run there Bus! 

• Options

Thanks Chaps - not hugely fast, but combined with last Saturdays LSR, it has given me a tad more confidence that Abo might not be a complete disaster!

Those are very quick reps there Scott!

• Options
    The Bus wrote (see)

What's the 10k on Sunday Philip?

Swallowfield. Slow but club champs.

http://www.swallowfield10plus3.com/