Options

Brighton Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options
    Been having fun, typing people's numbers into the official photos and finally putting some faces to the names.

LP - love the ones of you just after the wall

Wotsit - how did you manage to look so happy, it was grim out there?

BR - Looks like you were suffering on that final stretch

BP - Another smiley face, certainly not plodding

Sleek - Looks like some good running going on there

SOYCD - What happened to your hat?

LN - Yours make me slightly sad, you don't look happy image

Dips - Really going for it

Dontun Cantrun - You do and you can!

Some great pictures and too many more to comment on.
  • Options
    Well done everyone, we did it image great to hear all the stories.

I was really pleased with my 4:05:25 image was in target for sub-4 at halfway point but had to stop for the loo and to take my leg strap off because it came loose (sorry to the bystanders who heard my foul-mouthed tirade at the ahem stupid strap!) but I was really happy to finish, so happy I cried!

Amazing day. Amazing support. And now im hobbling around heathrow waiting to board my flight to the Maldives. Life sucks image

Thank you for all your advice and support. Brighton has left a lasting impression on me that will indel memories in my mind for ever.

• Options

Hi Toby

Good to meet you on Saturday, felt good at 2 miles, then from 18 onwards went slightly down hill, done the same as I normally do and went off slightly too fast for my own good.

Well done on your time, you done really well and should be proud.

AHA

• Options

I said before i started, "never again",

i said during the race "never again",

i said at the end "never again"

24 hrs on, Guess what.........."Never again"image

Great event, great experience, "never again".

I'll stick to 1/2 marathons but i'll be at Brighton next year to cheer everyone on.

Gary aka "McLard"

• Options

Good idea looking at the photos...excpt I'll never find the page with everyones race numbers!

Toby3 - I got on ok, finished in 4:41:24 which I'm happy with given the heat. I wanted 4:30 but gave up that dream at mile 11 when I realised I was already feeling shattered.

Thegiantelf - I found I was too hot in the hat, even though it's a really light running one. Just didn't like it round my forehead. I put it on my waist band and then wore it when we were facing into the sun. Would have thrown it at my OH but knew I'd need it in the last 4 miles when we headed back.

• Options
    Gary - That was an anti-climax. Was SO sure you were going to finish with '24hrs on...Guess what...registered for next year'. You know you will don't you?
  • Options
    Here is the last list of race numbers posted if anyone wants to be nosey and look up other peoples photos image

Adam Dennis 2 - 11715 - Red
    Anne Solly (Clumsy) - 6183 - Yellow
    anonymouse - 2964 -Red
    Beachbum - 1257 - Red
    bigsmile06 - 7814 - Pink
    Brian OR - 1513 - Blue
    Brighton Plodder - 6131 - Yellow
    buck79 - 2557 - Blue
    C&I Dad (SPEN) - 4950 - Green
    Carlo Metcalfe 2 - 2814 - Red
    charlotte davey 2 - 9810 - Green
    Chris Turner11 - 10831 - Blue
    Darren McHale 2 - 11763 - Red
    dips - 2638 - Blue
    DolphinFriendly - Red - 4662
    Dontrun Cantrun - Green - 10053
    Dr Who? - 5954 - Yellow
    emdee - 112 - White
    Emily Proto - 9108 - Pink
    fat buddha - 2718 - Blue
    FerrousFerret - 4334 - Red (hopelessly optimistic)
    FortySomethingAnd Fit -2026-Yellow
    Gayle Greenhalf - 11178 - Pink
    gazza81 - 4612 - Pink
    Godzilla - 7860 - Pink
    Hotel Runner - 6362 - Green
    Iron Tractor Boy - 6533 - Green
    Ivette Groombridge - 13510 - Blue
    James Handley - 8860 - Yellow
    jenny bridger 6967 Orange
    JoGoSlow - 3908 - Orange
    jolyon - 11040 - Pink
    Julia T - 9570 - Orange
    Karl - 5633 Red
    Kevin Payne 3 - 9106 - Pink
    Knightrider - 2900 - Red
    Ladyplodder - 8180 - Green
    Lep Recorn - 9343 - Pink
    Lillias Griffiths 2 - Red - 2948
    Little Nemo - 6015 - Yellow
    Loftus Road Runner - 8588 - Green
    Mark D - 1330 - Red
    Mark Goodchild - 12261 - Green
    Midlife Crisis - 416 - Blue
    mistywillow - 7101 - Orange
    mr immune - 106 - White
    northern lass - 12454 - Green
    Peter Pan - 1673 - Blue
    Pinkerbelle - 10918 - Pink
    pg bear - 7629 - Yellow
    Redhead -8914 - Yellow
    runner32 - 12153 - Green
    running again - 2246 - Pink
    Russell Nimbus - 8127 - Green
    shine on you crazy diamond - 3414 - Yellow
    Sleek Lemur - 505 - Blue
    sisavedbygrace - 9061 - Yellow
    Speedy Brear - 1740 - Blue
    Stella Clark - 13419 - Blue
    Stephen Elkan 2 - 12955 - Red
    Solent Runner - 1671 - Blue
    Soup Dragon - 9613 - Orange
    SouthendAl - 4740 - Pink
    Stuart Smith 26 - 6550 - Green
    thegiantelf - Pink - 2356
    Themp - Red - 4523
    *tim* - 1514 - Blue
    toby3 - 5196 - Green
    Tony Hodge6 - 2954 Red
    TracyB - 9665 - Orange
    Tracey G - 9674 - Orange
    Ultra Ironwolf - 6479 - Green
    Wotsit - 3449 - Green
  • Options
    Just spilt red wine down my finishers t-shirt. That'll teach me to still be wearing it 34 hours after finishing. image

What IS wrong with my photo uploader....
  • Options

I didn't see anyone from the forum at the start or during the race.

Did anyone see me? I was wearing a white vest with a black stripe with 'Penny Lane Striders' written on it?

I liked the Power Station bit as it gave me a break from the cheering crowds. It was awfully hot from 20 miles onwards! All I could do was look straight ahead like a blinkered horse and keep running. That pier looked so far away but at least we had turned the corner and were heading home!

• Options
    Fortysomethingandfit wrote (see)

Totally missed the finishing goody bag, was it after your medal and before chip removal? Didn't realise until I was after the baggage collection lorries and I saw everyone else with them!-any way I can get one now? All I want is the t-shirt.

IIRC the sequence went chip removal, medal, goody bag then t-shirt.  I'd e-mail the organisers about the t-shirt, while the contents of the goody bag were useful they were not essential.
  • Options
    SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭
    Great race of course and I'll add feedback in due course, but does anyone know if the full result are available in searchable form like they were last year with all the club and age information?  The results on the Brighton Marathon website are rather hard to find anything from unless one know the race number or name.  The first 3000 are on runbritain, but what about the rest?
  • Options

Apologies for the delay, but thanks to everyone who posted such lovely comments regarding my race report on Sunday evening. It's very much appreciated.

I've now entered for next year's Brighton Marathon. I aim to beat my time of 5:10.

I'm still mulling it all over, but some early thoughts I have for changes to my strategy for next year, include:

1. I must wear my charity vest. I did my run for the charity Shelter, but had never worn it on a training run, so didn't want to risk it on the day. I think the crowds respond much better to runners who are obviously doing it for a good cause, rather than those (like me) who were seemingly just doing it for themselves.

2. I must  put my name on the my running top. There were many times when people all around me were receiving huge vocal support from the crowd, but I was being apparently ignored - as no one knew my name. I feel now, that the brutal final 6 miles would probably have been a bit less brutal if someone had shouted 'Well done, Vince!"

3. If I ever have to resort to walking again, I will try the running to a landmark trick that I tried in the final 2 miles - it made me feel much less frustrated at my inability to run non-stop.

Vince Deehan
  • Options

Wow. That was tough!

Alfie the Dog - I remember you passing me at about 24 miles. Gave you a little encouragement and watched you plod off into the distance. Top, top effort in that dog suit. Same to the Firemen, the Army guys/girls, Spongebob, the Rhinos, the Tiger guy, Sonic the Hedgehog and anybody else crazy enough to do it dressed up.

Spectators - Top notch. Yeah we all complained about the weather, but it brought out a huge huge crowd and when we needed them, they responded. I'll never forget that last 2 miles along the prom and the seafront. And as mentioned before, the guy wiith the hose on New Church Road was a legend... but Id hate to have his water bill!!

Water pouches - Took me a good half a mile to work out how to use these, and when i did, i almost choked on the water!

The route - Yeah it was a bit boring in places (the road to hell, the road towards Ovingdean), but this is a marathon. Its not supposed to be easy. I fell to pieces around the power station, but I see that as part of the challenge. Un-inspiring and soul-destroying, but if you get through it, it just adds to the sense of achievement.

There was a guy on the final straight (tall guy wearing a green vest and white knee strap) as I was finishing (4:37) who was being helped along by paramedics and the crowd were going nuts trying to encourage him. Does anybody know if a) he made it and b) if he's ok?

Congratulations to everybody who finished on Sunday. Those conditions made PB's almost impossible. If you got one, thats a great effort. If you didnt, dont be too disheartened. You finished a marathon. Not many people can do that, especially in such physically demanding conditions.

Special mention to Clumsy Anne - thats some story. Lesser people wouldve just called it a day, but it shows real guts to get back out there and finish that race. If one person really earned that medal, its you!

• Options

I seem to have spent hours reading postings but they've been a great read.  Perhaps worth compiling a book of the 'best' ones?

Someone mentioned seeing two green fairies.  One outside PP travelodge and another at the powerstation.  Both were I !!  Had removed wig at powerstation as didn't want to look silly.....

For all it's bad points I think the powerstation 3 miles helps split the last loooong 6 miles.  At London the last 6 is a long haul from just before The Tower.  People come out of the powerstation and 'only' have 3 to go.  Can be tough seeing it stretching out in front of you.

Pgbear – putting name on is great for getting encouraged.  It is quick to spot and call out.  No name, what do you say?  By the time I’d think of something eg ‘come on lady in white top’ (!) the runner would be gone.

Charlotte davey 2 – good to see you.

Prosperity/Alfie – well done, you were awesome (or should that be pawsome?)

Little Nemo – I wasn’t running, just supporting.

Jenny bridger – I was standing on the wall outside the PP Travelodge at the start and then was at the 20/23 mile mark at the entrance and exit to the powerstation.  When I stood in the shade it was amazing how COLD it was after a while.  So I stood with a shrub behind  me then my head was hot and my knees were cold – my belly button was just right though.  Great pic of tiger on beach!

Ultrawolf – I think somewhere on the BM website they mentioned that crack rifle marksmen would be on rooftops looking out for anyone ‘daring’ to jump across the cones and tape between lanes.

I have noticed the sportsdrink wastage at other races , like Great South Run.  Guess not worth producing smaller bottles ‘only’ for the races, cheaper to provide the usual size.  I assume the drinks are donated, so the wastage doesn’t cost the organisers anything.

Lep Recorn – pleasure to ‘High 5’ you at the powerstation exit.  Did you realise your name sounds like a small man from Ireland?????

JuliaT and TracyB – great to see you both, MikeG too and son and JT OH.  Mike looked sooooo hot entering the powerstation but looked good on exit.  Nice to have a dry hug from JT this year and see TB doing so well.

• Options
    GF - I wasn't referring to the money, just the sheer waste of all the thrown away drink.  Water is a precious resource. It's probably ingrained in me as in our household we save/recycle everything we can. Water is saved from the laundry, washing up, bath water etc. and re-used to water the garden, wash the patio, flush the loo, and so on.  We have rain butts outside to collect water from the drainpipes. We saved over 300 euro on our water bill last year just by not chucking water down the drain.
  • Options

Gazza (and everyone else) - Thanks for all your lovely comments. They've certainly made my rather 'eventful' marathon seem extra special.

• Options

Well Congratulation to everyone, not read all of the posts, will do more at lunchtime. managed to meet up with Toby3, it was good to meet you, and as his post states many pages back all went well for me until about mile 15 / 16, then got cramp for the first time ever running. I was plagued with this until the end and had to have walk breaks and stretch the cramps out, but finished in 4:33:29 a 16 minute personal best for me.

Anne your are what marathoning is all about a big hug from me you did so well.

I would also like to say a big thanks to all of the St Johns Ambulance helpers they were fantastic all around the course.

Hi to Tracy and Julia good to see you.

Take care everyone, my legs are still killing me

• Options

Hi Green Fairy - no that had never occurred to me.

I remember seeing you there as I went out and as I cam back - but I have no recollection of high fiveing you. Maybe that is a good indication as I have probably forgotten most of the pain and suffering around there.

I did see a large number of casualties on the course. Only to be expected in the heat. At about 23 miles I stopped and assisted a runner who went down in front of me until the medics arrived. I am certain it was only a feint as he remained concious and lucid, but I wish i had noted his number so I could see he had finished.
  • Options

Not sure that saving 8000 runners from de-hydration is considered a waste. My bath afterwards probably used 100 times more water. The bottles were the smallest I've seen in a marathon and as they were being collected I'm sure they were re-cycled. Other than in a marathon or in dodgy countries I never drink bottled water. It's in the tap for free. The biggest waste of water was from the showers on the course.

• Options

Hi Everyone,

I could hardly walk yesterday and now I'm back at work feeling absolutely amazing I cant believe I made it to the finish line.image My hamstring is so sore today if only it had held up I would of achieved the time I wanted!! 

Now I'm ready for my next challenge and I'm just thinking what next...........

The heat made it a bit tougher but the crowd were in top form!! 

Shoreham power station was a bit grim!! 

I thought there was going to be 13000 runners and only 8000 ran?? image

• Options

hi everyone, hope you all had a good race sunday - unfortunaltely mine ended at about mile 19 - i ended up falling victim to the sun and passed out - which was odd as i was well hydrated during the race and running well... but after being a little ill sunday night with the shivers and cold sweats i assume i had a mild case of sun stroke ?

either way, the race ended short for me and im gutted to be a non finisher, but hey ho, just one of them things that cant be helped now.

all in all i enjoyed what bit of the race i did do ! but i have never been good in the heat so i am not to surprised !

hope you all got the times you wanted - i will read back over the reports soon, but dont have the time this morning - there is an awfull lot to catch up on since saturday night !

cheers buck.

• Options
    It was hot out there Buck. Sorry to hear your race was cut short.
  • Options

Sorry to hear you didn't finish Buck - hope they took good care of you!

Green fairy - i was tempted to call out but at the start it was a touch busy & by 23 i was trying to cling on to the 5 hr 30 pacer, Sharon through the pain in my feet, although i did think you looked at me, i wasn't sure. 

Its so hard to remember everyone from here on the day. Soupy was quite an unusual name to have which is why i remembered that & i think Tracy B & Julia were starting in my corral which is also why i recalled those names. 

I got a message from the female army officer i lined up with who i couldn't find a finish time for. she's ok but a back injury flared up & she has training before a deployment coming up, so pulled out at half way.

Off to the gym for the foam roller & power plate, plus a gentle stroll into town to pay in a sponsorship cheque.

found some videos here by the way http://www.brightonvisitor.com/brighton-news/brighton-marathon-10-april-2011/

• Options

D'oh - I realise now that I got Green Fairy and Lep Recorn muddled up image apologies it was Lep Recorn I spotted and shouted "Green Fairy!" at. I blame it on the heat...

thegiantelf - tbh I often get told I look miserable even when I'm not but I was feeling a bit down in some of those photos. The worst bit is watching my finish video, everyone around me is running and I'm just plodding along looking a bit wobbly. I won't be ordering a race DVD image

buck79 - sorry you didn't get to finish, hope you're feeling OK now. Will you be signing up for another marathon?

• Options

Gazza81 the guy in green was 5 meters from the finish when I got there so hopefully crossed ok, but looked in a bad way. According to my friend who was stood near the finish he collapsed within 800m of the finish half an hour before I went through. They were calling fir a Marshall to get medics or an ambulance as they were so worried about him and were told to shut up by marshals at they weren't helping! now I'm not sure of the full situation and myfriend possibly was over reacting but having someone take 30 mins to cover the last stretch, and he looked near unconscious to me, seems a bit crazy and maybe he should have been stopped from going on, but guess everyone wants to finish at that Point. Anyway wotsit must have crossed the line about 30s after me and may have seen him finish.
  • Options

thanks guys, yeah they were very helpful and got me back on my feet andafter forcing another gel down me and some more water i was feeling almost normal, but the legs had locked up by then and it was pointless trying to carry on !

as for another one ? you bet ill be back - not sure when or where, but ill be back to put these demons to bed !

• Options

I think i've found Spen 55 seconds into this video

Glad you're not letting it beat you buck

• Options
    SOYCD - Ive just seen the pictures and in the photos of me (4612), you can clearly see the guy in the background at the end. He looks in a very bad way, but he does appear to have at least 1 paramedic in attendance. I hope they didnt take any unnecessary risks to get him over the line though.
  • Options
    Are there any more race reports? I've loved reading about your experiences so far!
  • Options
    My legs felt like they were locking up too Buck. It wasn't running out of energy and I am more than capable of running the distance. I think it was some sort of heatstroke thing and maybe too much energy drink and not enough water. My stomach was full of orange powerade type stuff which after I puked it all up after the finish I felt much better. Never happened to me before and was glad to just finish in 3.20. Sounds ok but I went through halfway at 1.30!! Up to mile 18 I was fine and then the numbness was working through my legs. Wasn't like regular tired legs. I can run fine on tired legs. Lesson learned to keep the balance between energy drinks and water.