Options

Brighton Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options
    The blue is a berry flavour of sorts. It's not particularly tasty though.

I thought that the marshals and SJA volunteers did a tremendous job of getting those struggling at the end, myself included, across the line safely. Not the most dignified of finishes, but a finish nonetheless and one where I'm hugely grateful for the encouragement of everyone there. The cheer from the crowd as I got to my feet and set off on the long final walk to the line brought a lump to my throat.
  • Options

Come come JuliaT - I shall be waiting for you at the start line next year!

There's a pic in the Argus of the little green fairy I found to my delight at the Expo!  I can trump that as I was filmed by the race organiser's film crew when standing on the wall outside the travelodge.  I was interviewed and they wanted to film me giving encouragement as I said I was there for friends so I started yelling out anyone's name I saw on a vest!  Had a few surprised looks (not for the first time in my life).

How can I already be getting excited about next year as it is still over a year away!  Looks bad for cheap hotel bookings as at the end of Easter week.

Have just started a new thread 'Two stone off!' on the Health+Injury section.

"Come and join us if you think you're large enough!"

• Options
    The Powerade man at the start told me, when I was obsessing about the lack of cherry flavour when the website clearly started ALL flavours would be available, that there should be no difference it the body's reaction to any of the individual flavours.  So the blue vs orange thing is very interesting.

Thegiantelf - I shall tell you why I looked happy in all my photos.  I was!  As the girl who never ran unless chased by a lion (which didn't happen much) right up till after I had my second child and who walked every school cross country course and who was miserable about being so utterly unfit, being able to run to any extent at all fills me with total joy.  There obviously were points on the race where I questioned what on earth I was doing, but generally, I just loved it.  I especially love it when I see my fabulous supporters cheering me on and when lovely people from the crowd shout my name.  Makes the pain absolutely worthwhile.  That and the fact that my children think I won, because I have a medal image

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5230/5613205708_48b0c7edbb.jpg

• Options
    You DID win, Wotsit, you DID!
  • Options

Oh and yes, the staggering guy in green crossed the finish line just as I did.  I gave a little prayer of thanks that I wasn't looking like that.

Green Fairy - I shouted at you twice and you ignored me.  Pfft. image

• Options
    scottyuk:

"...I thought the route was tough...." - believe me, Brighton is not tough and I can think of many worse but I suspect that feeling is linked to "What have I learned? There are no shortcuts to the training"

what I would suggest is that you enter Brighton again and train properly for it next time and avoid "bugger all over winter". Try to choose some runs that do have some upflats in them so you get used to running on lumpy courses - offroad training is good. Your best approach is to keep running through summer and into autumn and winter so you develop some base running fitness and then follow a structured marathon training program.

you now have the benefit of some experience - put it to good use for the next one

good luck

• Options

Wotsit - I saw your name on your back as you went by me leaving the powerstation.  I did call out then so sorry if you didn't hear.  It is amazing how many people you can miss despite trying to be eagle eyed.

Someone collapsed before my very eyes just a few feet away and it was quite upsetting to see.  He was taken to hospital but hopefully it was 'only' heatstroke.  Made me glad I didn't try to do it without the training.

• Options

I love that photo Wotsit!

One of my work colleagues cheered me on the course..but she has just said to me that her husband thought I was a fast runner and expected me to be nearer the front? I am assuming it was tongue in cheek image

Got a couple of copies of the Argus if anyone wants a copy..not that many photos but list finishers too..except only seems to go up to 8hrs 26 mins and no Anne! Typical Argus!

• Options

hi green fairy i saw you too.

i have to safely say it was worst marathon yet for me, a crappy time of 6hr 5mins i mean come on, for all my training thats pathetic! i have to say I thought  it was a flat course i know a few on the forum said a few inclins but the first half was all hills in my eyes!!!!

i thought the scenery was gorgeous and the crowds are so supportive but I nevere felt so low at that last six miles, i mean i have done belfast twice but i have never felt so bad as i did in brighton, just wasnt prepared for those hills and weather i have to say and now dosed with flu, but well done to rest of you and espesically that guy with the tiger does anybody know him, he done great what an inspiration!

• Options

The route will be tough if you only run 14 miles before the race. You only get out what you put in. Personally I think if you can't put in the training they why bother at all.

Amusing that Gatton thought that my lack of electrolytes was hightened by being on my feet too long before the race. I was sat on my arse watching the Paris marathon on Eurosport in my front room at 8.15. Perhaps next time i will get someone to wheel me to the start.

• Options
    Tom  RoperTom Roper ✭✭✭

Anyone know when the full results will be up, rather than the cut-down version that's there at the moment, which is only searchable by name and number?

I tried e-mailing info@brightonmarathon.co.uk, but no reply. Sports Systems, who ran the timing system, say the presentation of results is being done by someone else (unlike last year). 

• Options
    A little more imformation is on Power of 10 website
  • Options

Lessons learned from Brighton Marathon 2011:

1. Marathons are fun. Really, they are. They dont seem like it after 20-22 miles, but where else would you experience such emotional highs and lows in a matter of hours, a sense of camaraderie with your fellow runners (almost a siege mentality -  we're all in this together), the sense of pride at an achievement that a very small percentile of people would even attempt, and thousands of people cheering your every step? They are fun!

2. PowerBar's Blackcurrant caffeinated gel is repulsive. It doesnt even taste of blackcurrant. Its just pure caffeine, and after 17 miles, its not particularly what the taste-buds are craving. Saying that, the Strawberry & Banana gels are delicious!!

3. Never put a Shot Blok in your pocket in warm weather. They melt and leave behind a horrible sticky gooey mess!

4. Immodium Instants are great... until you finish. Then you're in for 2 days of agony!

• Options
    Tom  RoperTom Roper ✭✭✭
    Great thanks, they cut off at just over 4 hours, but much better than the official site. Can't imagine why they haven't used Sports Systems again; they have the data, so why not have them put the results up?
  • Options
    You could always buy today's Argus with the full results in. Not seen it myself as yet
  • Options

Drat - I can't believe the Argus cut the results off at 8:26! I was only 1.5 minutes after that! And what about the other people who finished after me? Especially Spongebob Squarepants who is a super man/woman to be able to complete the marathon whilst wearing a huge block of foam!

That's it - I'm boycotting the Evening Argus & not buying the souvenir edition. image

• Options
    Tom  RoperTom Roper ✭✭✭

Thanks, NLR, but I really need them electronically....may buy an Argus in a minute, but I doubt that they'll be in the detail I need: need club affiliations, inter alia

• Options
    Anne that's not fair, everyone deserves to be there, we are ALL marathoners and should be included. And Spongebob is my hero, I have pyjamas and everything image

• Options
    fat buddha wrote (see)
    scottyuk: "...I thought the route was tough...." - believe me, Brighton is not tough and I can think of many worse but I suspect that feeling is linked to "What have I learned? There are no shortcuts to the training" what I would suggest is that you enter Brighton again and train properly for it next time and avoid "bugger all over winter". Try to choose some runs that do have some upflats in them so you get used to running on lumpy courses - offroad training is good. Your best approach is to keep running through summer and into autumn and winter so you develop some base running fitness and then follow a structured marathon training program. you now have the benefit of some experience - put it to good use for the next one good luck

I guess the 'bugger all over winter' has come across badly. Through issues that I won’t go into here, i couldn't put the commitment into my training over winter that i knew was necessary. Which is why i was close to pulling out, but I’m glad i didn't and with the fantastic support i was able to push myself much further than i realised.

Thanks for the good advice fat buddha.

• Options

Well done to everyone for a great race.

Does anyone know how many started and how many finished? The heat was brutal and there seemed to be many more falling by the wayside than I have experienced previously on other races.

• Options

Well I have continued to read the posts and they make me re live every moment .. Cannot believe somebody would cheat.. who are they cheating apart from themselves? (Unless they won of course)..

I didnt think the  course was hilly at all.. the steepest one in Ovingdean was only about 100 yards long from my memory.. and soon over.. perhaps I have been lucky to have trained on longer and harder ones here on the Yorkshire bordersimage

Wotsit.. I am sorry to burst your bubble but you may find that I won.. if you look at the video of 8860 at the finish line on the photo website.. it clearly shows me raising my arms in victory has I crossed the lineimage..The clock may have 3 hours behind some other fine fellow who they prononouced the winner.. but I won too.. so I guess we  are all equal first!

My wife is back at work today and says she is glad to get away from me talking about the "marathon".. but she is just jealous.. even on the way back to the hotel ..walking through the laines.. so many people said well done.. and few outside one pub starting clapping me! I was a celebimage

I have not even started the entry form for next year.. but on Friday.. I will offer the wife another weekend away..in Brighton and see what she says to that.. I am going to use Toby has my pacemaker!

• Options
    FB - where does someone go to create a routine in between races etc.  I can find marathon and half training routines but what do you do for the rest of the year?  I don't want all the hard work to be wasted and want a good base for the next project....when I can walk again obviously!!!
  • Options
    Oh by the way.. just rang the Argus.. They told me I cant order todays paper on line but I have to send a cheque.. just for info for anyone else who wants  a results copy of the paper.. £1.50
  • Options
    JB - simple - just get out there and run! even if your runs are relatively short (compared to a marathon) you're still putting miles in the bank, and keep ticking over. just stopping will quickly put you back to the start point again. if you also target some summer/autumn events - 10K, 1/2 marathon etc - they will give your running some focus and you can train accordingly.

perhaps join a local running club and join some of their training sessions? you'll find that most cater for all abilities from fast to plod - and they can help you structure your training as well.

I'm a triathlete so I have the summer tri season to look forward to now so I'm either training for a specific event or ticking over in between - my "down" period is likely to be autumn, but even in previous years I've done marathons/ultras and other events then. this Autumn is looking quiet for a change but I'll be coming off the back of an Ironman in September so that's no bad thing! I might try an escape for a foreign bike adventure instead - road or mountain bike - loads of options.

I'm usually doing something all year - it's just the intensity and type of event that varies.
  • Options

James...just for info..I have a couple of copies on my desk..as I said for anyone that wants one.

• Options

Bognor 10k next for me!

• Options

FB - thanks. 

I will sign up for a half in the autumn as I think you are right I will need a bit of focus.  I will also look at a local running club to try and improve for next time.  Seem to have the bug, already planning how to better my time. 

Literally at the minute planning to run before I can walk!

• Options
    SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

Jolyon - I agree with fat buddha.  A running club is a great way to keep up between races.  I'm lucky in that mine is very happy to support all ages from 18 upwards - there are four 70+ members who race regularly.  It is also happy with all abilities.

There are loads of local road races, just look at the Runners World events.  As you've done a marathon you should find plenty within your range. There are also cross-countries for some of the winter months.  They can be a bit fierce, I am usually in the last 2% of the field, and indeed have come last.  That said I think they are great training.

++++++++++

FB - where does someone go to create a routine in between races etc.  I can find marathon and half training routines but what do you do for the rest of the year?  I don't want all the hard work to be wasted and want a good base for the next project....when I can walk again obviously!!!

• Options
    My plan post is marathon is no running for 9 days and then run easy until 26 days after the marathon.One days (active) rest for each mile. Will be back doing my long runs by the 2nd sunday after the marathon albeit very easy at first. We run all year round but at this point you need to set your next goal. Mine is not quite set yet but a fast 5k and the Seaford half marathon is on my list of races to-do. I think recovery needs just as much planning as any other part of the marathon. Don't rush back too soon or you may regret it.