Options

Brighton Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options
    NLR - electrolyte depletion by the sounds of it - it can lead to feelings of numbness as your nerve systems needs a good electrolyte balance to function fully. the problem with a lot of energy drinks is that although they contain fuel, they don't often have much in the way of 'lytes - and with extra sweating in hot weather there's not enough in them to replace what you lose. at the pace you're running it would also be more noticeable as well.

the best way to cope with this in hot weather is to take some salt tablets with you (Endurolytes are one brand; Lava Salts another) which are formulated for such situations. they give what the drinks don't. I've used them in Ironman events and they have saved my day. I meant to take some with me on Sunday but forgot but luckily I didn't suffer from electrolyte depletion - just heat and fatigue!

my DOMS has kicked in big time today....owwww
  • Options

NLR: Stomach cramping played havoc on my system that day..still can't look at powerade without flinching even today!!  I'm glad there were showers as body temp rises at the best of time and I was hoping to come in the halfway mark at 1:35 then push for a neg split like last year.....

..this was going well (was at 2:26 at 20miles) and thought I would push on but the legs said no...a shower stop at 22m helped give the final push...

the temp made all the difference brighton last year my splits were 1:37/1:35: brighton 2011: 1:37/1:42

Paris was 28deg?!! I would have scrapped all notion of a PB..my friend who did Paris on sunday did 1:38/2:33

• Options

Well after all the years of running Bristol 10k and h/m and not so much of an toe in any of the news papers was looking through the Argus in Brighton today as it’s has the race results in it today and low and behold there i was been help on with my foil blanket well chuffed have bought a copy to take home last day in Brighton today of home later this afternoon

• Options

Ok, hands up, who made the turn just past Ovingdean and then looked straight for the power station?!

Who then managed to see the power station and thought "Holy sh*t! Thats a bloody long way!!"?!

And who noticed that from the very second you got onto the promenade, the pier didnt seem to get any closer until you were literally running next to it?!

Did anybody notice how New Church Road seemed longer on the way out than it did on the way back?!

Its funny what long distance running does to your brain!!

• Options
    Sounds very feasible FB. Thanksimage
  • Options

I have now read all your stories and would like to say a huge congratulations to all of you. Buck- commiserations for not getting the race you wanted after 19 miles, but great going until then. We are all marathoners! Well done JoGoSlow for shouting it out at the top of the steps, tell the world!!! The sun took its toll on alot of people on Sunday.  All my supporters came home with one sided t-shirt tans because they had stood facing one way for so long!

What an event! I rewatched the course route video and relived every inch. There are some days that stay with you for life and I know that my first Brighton Marathon will be one of them, at the age of 49.5 I have a new experience to add. Bittersweet memories but all of it makes me smile and I aim to be back next year injury free and do better.

Anne-fantastic resolve-you truly are a marathoner!

I look forward to staying in contact with you all via these forums. I guess it is time to get on to the next chapter in life's little escapades. For those of you nursing injury, heal well and for those of you saying no more marathons for me, remember never say never again...

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Here is my race report as a pacer

www.gobi70.wordpress.com

Hope to see people next year.
  • Options
    Hi All,

Wow, what a day! Congrats to all for PBs, completing the race or otherwise. Special hugs to Clumsy Anne what a story! Buck sorry to hear you had to pull out.

Well, I leant a lesson on Sunday, I don't like the heat! Despite a new PB by 39 minutes (finished in 4:03:29). I felt so good in the 1st half and went off too fast. I was planning to hook onto Mr Immune and the 4 hour gang but was too far behind them in the corral, so thought I'd run my own race to try and get my 4 hour target time.

Caught up with them at about 8 miles, ran behind them for a mile or so and felt good so slowly pulled away going through 1/2 way in 1:56 ish. Still felt good until about 18 when the wheels started coming off! The Heat! It just did me in, dizzy, light headed, stomach cramps, I felt awful despite remaining very concious of electrolytes and staying hydrated. I was a bit scared of my charity vest so had set out with it on over a short sleeved running top, that was way too hot so that came off at 19/20 miles and made a nice impromptu head covering, soaked in water it seemed to take the edge off!

Saw Green Fairy coming back out of the Power Station loop, yelled out your name. Unfortunately I didn't recognise any other forumites image

The last 3 miles were hell, I only hung on knowing that OH and the kids were around mile 25. Slightly gutted to miss 4 hours, I'm blaming the heat. I really should have stuck with the pacing group when I passed them - silly boy!

Eldest son did 7:49 in the mini mile at age 9. Very proud of him, our medals are now hanging together.

Thanks to all the organisers and volunteers and the people of Brighton for making this such a great event. People always ask me if I want to do London, I say "No, Brighton's where it's at"

Entry for 2012 confirmed, this course owes me that 4 hour mark, and I like the thought of being ever present. See you on the 2012 thread!
  • Options

Great FB..my sentiments exactly... you need some sort of salt replacement or even Diaralite powder on days like Sunday.
     another reason for problems was the amount of time on peoples feet BEFORE they started the race.. 

• Options

found Lep Recorn in this video at about 2:10 into it

finally written up my day here

• Options

Seems I was right about some people cheating. Redhead said :

"I think that a forumite I know must have slipped under a barrier to cut her mileage as I spotted her twice on the out and back bits and estimated she was at least 30 minutes behind me. I was, therefore, somewhat surprised to find her in the finish area before me as I know that she hadn't gone past me!"

FB - DOMS don't even come close, I can barely walk on my left leg today! Think I've just retired from road running. A sports doc told me 3 years ago to quit running or "nothing will work any more" - looks like he was right. I said I couldn't stop altogether as I've been doing it all my life, so he replied well only go as far as you can without pain then. Yesterday that was about 6 miles!

(edited for typo)

• Options

Congratulations to everyone who finished the race and to those who had to pull out as everyone trainined so hard for it.
    What a race. Considering all my pains and niggles I had beforehand  I was remarkably calm on the day. I did enjoy the weather as i don't usually suffer from the heat and I had a great race. I finished 4:50hours which was 20 minutes longer than I unticipated but considering my age (47) and beeing the first marathon I was happy with that.
    My 20 mile training run seamed so much harder than the actual race on Sunday. I am sure that the gels helped me a lot. I never tried them before but thought that I might as well pack three just in case. My husband warned me that they might make me sick if I didn't try them before.
    I had the first one after mile 9 with some water and after about 5 minutes I had such an energy burst and felt great. I took the second one at mile 14 and then again at mile 20. I was so pleased that I didn't hit the wall and still had some energy left although I did struggle the last 2 miles. One more gel would have been good as that strech seemed to be going on for ever....Anyway, I am still on a high and need to come down now.

Well done everyone!!!!

• Options
    Fantastic Toby! Fame at last image

Gazza both hands are up!

Buck sorry to hear your news, hope you are feeling ok now

Waves to Forty, thank you for making the walk to the start seem much shorter than i thought it was!

Had fun looking through all the photos and matching names to faces. There are no pics of me - hope i didn't break the camera!

Al well done to your son - that is some fast time!!

UI hope you recover soon, wish i'd shouted hello now but wasn't sure it was you.

Fab race for you Ivette image

Well I have next year application open in another tab and have stalled at the payment page. Do I REALLY want to do it again? Al I'm with you, I sort of feel the course owes me something............like being able to run all the way.....
  • Options

Hi all. Gosh, listening to all the heat stories is a real eye-opener. I was actually ok - felt a bit nauseous at 20, but slowed it down until I felt better. Drank loads of water, took 3 gels, but after that my body told me all it wanted was water. Tipped water over myself at every station. But reading some of your experiences, boy, it seems to have come out of nowhere.

I'm v pleased with my PB (3.38 vs 3.46) and count myself jolly lucky.

London on Sunday (v unexpectedly got a place). I think I'll be ok physically, but I don't think I'm going to be able to dredge up the mental and emotional strength for a fast time. That's the really hard bit, eh ? Will just be out there to enjoy the day

That's quite enough me, me, me. Just want to say WELL DONE to you all. We all did a tough, tough thing, which kind of puts you in a good place to face a lot of life's other challenges, eh ?

Now, let me see...has anyone started the BM 2012 thread yet ?image

• Options

Ultra Iron wolf: I sincerly hope Redhead was suffering from heat stroke..otherwise that would be a bitter pill to swallow (or in sundays case the powerade!) ...I think the shame and identity of the "shortcut" fourmite should be kept private as they'll know deep down they don't deserve the plaudits that everyone else is getting...and rightly so....

• Options
    Gazza81 wrote (see)

Wow. That was tough!

Alfie the Dog - I remember you passing me at about 24 miles. Gave you a little encouragement and watched you plod off into the distance. Top, top effort in that dog suit. Same to the Firemen, the Army guys/girls, Spongebob, the Rhinos, the Tiger guy, Sonic the Hedgehog and anybody else crazy enough to do it dressed up.

Thank Gazza, Green Fairy and everyone else who cheered me along the way!!
    Get your name on your shirt, it was an amazing reaction from the crowd!!
    Recovery swim last night, big swim this morning, taking my bike for a long easy ride this afternoon, fingers crossed it is not as hot at London next week but I suspect the atmosphere will be amazing once again!!

Well done everyone who took park, it was an amazing effort just to enter and turn up in the first place!!
    See you all next year, if not before image

• Options

My race report!

This was my first marathon, and I don’t think it will be my last!

My training didn’t go so well, and up until a few days before I wasn’t sure if I would take part! My longest training run was 14 miles, which I struggled to complete. I did bugger all over the winter and was really lacking any confidence to be able to run 26 miles!

I decided to go for it and hoped that the support and the event would see me round. I’m so glad I did, the support far exceeded my expectations, it was awesome!

When I signed up I think I put my estimated time at around 4 hours, there was no way I was getting anywhere near that time so I dropped my expectations to getting round in one piece. I dropped back from my allocated pen and nervously waited for the start.

The start was bit of a shock to the system, after passing the start line I turned the corner and was faced with a long steep hill, it certainly got the heart rate up. I was encouraged by the banner at the top saying this was the highest part of the course.

After coming down the other side of the hill I got a stich, I hadn’t even completed a mile and I had a stich! It wasn’t the confidence building start I had hoped for!

I eventually got into a rhythm and was feeling ok though Brighton town centre. Reaching the sea front gave me a boost, the support which was good through the town centre was even better at the sea front. After absorbing the atmosphere at the sea front i looked up the coastal road and realised that this was going to be tough, not that I thought running 26 miles would be easy!

It wasn’t a particularly steep climb, It just seemed to go on forever, I kept thinking it can’t keep going up like this!  Thankfully my stich had long gone but it was replaced by cramp in my left calf, it didn’t completely cramp up but I was well aware It could at any moment so I slowed up a little and tried to preserve my legs.

Eventually I reached the Rottingdean turn point and started heading back down towards Brighton seafront, in the distance I could see the power station and thought how the hell am I going to make it there? I quickly put that from my mind and concentrated on the present.

Miles 12 to 18 where actually my best, I felt quite comfortable, my body was holding up well, and I was able to really enjoy the occasion. Then at the 19-mile mark my legs started to feel it, it seemed to coincide with the dwindling numbers of support heading towards the power station!

The deterioration was rapid and I felt the life and energy leave my legs. The banner welcoming me to the ‘Road to Hell’ did nothing to improve my mental state!

The last 6 miles were tough, I really didn’t want to walk any of the marathon but I had to admit defeat, the last 6 consisted of walking and jogging (at walking pace). Quitting this close to the finish was never an option, I just toughed it out like everyone else around me and finally made it to the finish.

• Options

Would I do Brighton again? I’m not sure, I thought the route was tough, and I think that all the doubling back on yourself made it seem tougher for some reason. Also the last 6 miles were just brutal.

What have I learned? There are no shortcuts to the training, I’m sure if I had put in the training I would have been able to run the whole marathon.

Also, I will be putting my name on my shirt next time, I didn’t realise just how many people will call your name out, I know it would have given me a boost for those last 6 miles!

I completed the marathon in 4:41:50 and my half split was 2:07:03 which just shows how much the wheels feel off in the last 6 miles.

I really want to do London marathon just so that I can tick it off, but there is part of me saying I should sign for Brighton again just in case I don’t get a London place.

Sorry for the long read!

Scotty.
  • Options

Hopefully this link will work.  Looks like the temp topped out a shade under 20 degrees on Sunday:

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/maps/city?LANG=en&UP=0&WMO=03876&CONT=ukuk&NOREGION=0&PLZ=_____&PLNZ=_____&LAND=SOU&LEVEL=150&ART=MAX&R=150

My feet swelled due to the heat and started rubbing at 10 miles, they are now very tender and blistered and I have a bloody trainer - which is a first - but am otherwise OK (although I do look like the Tin Man when I'm walking).  Toyed with the idea of washing the blood away but first I'm going to show it off as a badge of honour at running club tomorrow. 

I've loved reading all your stories and now I'm REALLY going to enjoy spectating London so good luck to anyone on this thread who is mad enough to put themselves through the agony and ecstasy again so soon image  

Roll on Abingdon in October! 

• Options
    HIya all,

It certainly is DOMS day today - surely it should be a national holiday? image

I feel a bit down today, I have to say. We stayed in Brighton Sunday night too and it was great walking around town yesterday morning spotting all the shufflers! So i think yesterday i was still on a high. Today it is back to work. Sigh image

I'm have a great time reading everyone's experiences and going through some of the photos and putting a face to a name!

I can't believe I actually have official photos - 4 years of the Great South and I have never had a single one image!!
    Mind you the way I look, I could do without it!

I was alongside Superman on the home stretch - he just beat me at the end - well i suppose he would wouldn't he?

I actually liked the course and I liked the peace quiet was quite nice on the road to hell and then the noise built and built to a crescendo along the front. Amazing!

FSAF - It felt good, I can assure you!!!!!!! And ditto the sentiment.

Bring on 2012......... I think.
  • Options

Was it really only 20 degrees? image

Can't believe anyone would cheat - what's the point? I'm kind of proud that although I seriously considered quitting I never even thought of taking a shortcut. Or maybe I'm just stupid! image

• Options
    anyone any idea how quickly places sold out last year?
  • Options
    Gazza81 wrote (see)

Ok, hands up, who made the turn just past Ovingdean and then looked straight for the power station?!

Who then managed to see the power station and thought "Holy sh*t! Thats a bloody long way!!"?!

And who noticed that from the very second you got onto the promenade, the pier didnt seem to get any closer until you were literally running next to it?!

Did anybody notice how New Church Road seemed longer on the way out than it did on the way back?!

Its funny what long distance running does to your brain!!

Putting my hand up for all of those Gazza! image

• Options

Sleek Lemur - 2012 thread already on page 4! 

JuliaT - no shame in walking and for me it will be built into training.  I am certainly not built to run all 26.2 miles!  How about that challenge!?

Anyone else want to lose 2 stone?

• Options

Buck - Sorry to hear you succumbed to the heat and didn't manage to finish. As you did, I also got fantastic help from the SJA ambulance.

NLR - the Doctor in the SJA first aid area at Hove gave me some of the blue Powerade to sip on to help replenish carbs and salts when I eventually left their care, as apparently the orange one can make you feel nauseous.

It's been great reading eveyone's stories from the race - we've all got a lot of memories to take from the day.

Jenny B - I think they sold out within about 4 weeks last year.

• Options

ok, so i might have a little time yet, Anne.  I don't know why i can't decide or commit.  despite the pain i would do it again, so why haven't i signed up yet?

the orange powerade causes nausea rather than the blue??? really?? what flavour is the blue anyway?

• Options

Blue Powerade is Berry flavoured. It tastes much nicer than it looks image

• Options

I don't mind it but i sometimes thinks the colour puts people off.

At one station - the last i think - they only had blue left, so there was no choice.  There was a crate of each at the finish still at 2.30pm.

• Options
    Jenny glad it's not just me dithering. I have completed half my application for next year and it's sitting open waiting for me to return.

Blue is Berry & Tropical flavour. Mr T kindly brought me a bottle home, it's sitting in the fridge. Not sure I'll be drinking that for a very long time!
  • Options

Afternoon.. had a quick flick through but had to do some work today!  Just off to buy a copy of the Argus.

FB, defo agree about salts..I had a made up drink (ZipV) stashed with your brandy and it had a big impact on how I felt. Tasted slightly salty too,  which to me is more managable then the Powerage. image

Ultra,  there were plenty of runners who acheived the whole distance and should be extremely proud...so I would much rather focus on them, thanks muchly.