Options

Brighton Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options
    ;-) TB. Will you be at Billericay on sunday or are your legs still recovering?

Hi Toby, I fancy swimming again but our local pool has freezing changing rooms and too many people chatting and getting in the way.

SR do you have designs on London in 2012? You are doing some serious training there, glad your calf is behaving

OH!!! GF please don't mention Christmas cake. I usually make one but feel i should give it a miss this year as it's me that pigs it all. image and it HAS to be hard royal icing. none of that soft fondant stuff.

Still, at least the 5lb i put on in the IOW has nearly gone and i've managed 2 seriously healthy days. And a 4 mile run.
  • Options

Morning all

Went over the gym yesterday but just did the 3 sets off swim 10 walk 10 in the pool will try to grt over there again today time permitting

• Options

Julia T: serious training continues as I have some challenging targets I am trying to pursueimage. Have you had a look at the Ryde 10 on Feb 6th. Was not going to do it myself as have plenty of races already lined up, however will enter now, but not to race as such, will be running it with my mum for a changeimage, so guess knowing her pace, I will get to experience what finishing at the back end of the field is like. But will be the first time I have run with her, so guess I will just use it as a gentle training run and enjoy the day out over the IoW.

Not having any problems here controlling my eating of Xmas treats. Am trying to get myself to 11 stone or under, in an attempt to hopefully help my running speed increase. Still early days in my weight loss attempt, but my trousers feel looser, so must be doing something right.

• Options

Hi All,

GF I gave up chocolate June 2009 and the demon-drink October 2009. Being a severe chocoholic and a borderline-alcoholic image it was easily done by adding it to my half marathon and marathon fundraising events! I also banned crisps, sweets and cereal bars! although now dabble in all. Healthy treats, nuts, Granola bars!, soreen malt loaf (preferably not the whole loaf tho image). Good luck!

Julia T went club for efforts last night, legs are fine image Yes at Billericay! See you there then image

• Options
    Afternoon. Been playing my new Wii game, my personal coach, get in shape. It's very good, the half hour workout had me sweating! Couldn't see the 10 minute one but this was only ten squid so a bargain. You input all your vital statistics, do fitness tests, use you HR monitor if you have one and it seemed to really gear it to me.

SR had not thought about the Ryde 10 but will have a squizz and check out the diary. It'll be lovely for your Mum to have her boy running with her, as a mother i can definitely tell you that she will appreciate that.

TB have you a time in mind for sunday? I am superslow again after IOW, Brighton did the same to me, so am expecting to be lucky to be under 65 mins image

Waves to Toby. No popping today i hope?
  • Options

OMG Pringles image Hate it when they're on offer image

Well... erm... would love to do sub-60 but seeing as Southend was flat, although windy, and Billericay I'd expect to be windy/rainy and is hilly.. I think I'm looking the same, although a course PB as had knee injury last year and did like 70m!

• Options

I was happy once................................it was a tuesdayimage

Went to my physio today and was told I would need a cartilage opimageimage

Will do my best to sue bloody ex-employer!imageimage

About a month to see surgeon then about two month wait for op.  That puts it in mid-February, two months before BM............................see where I'm coming from?

Bugger.

• Options
    Where's that chocolate.....................imageimage
  • Options

Morning all

Went over the gym yesterday did about 50 minutes that breaks down to

10 minutes on the bike

10 minutes on the rower

10 minutes on the cross trainer

10 minutes walking on the treadmill with it set to 15% gradient

10 minutes on the stair climber

Did a few of the exercises given to me by the physio then a nice swim and a Jacuzzi

Green Fairy you’re not getting any luck at all are at the moment i am sorry that it looks like you my miss Brighton again

Waves to Tracy B

Julia T well did have a few but the wife has now bought some more to replace them but band them again until Christmas as that what they were originally meant for

Waves to everyone else

• Options
    Good morning campers, off to deliver the parish newsletter in a while then planning a little run.

Oh GF not more bad news, surely things can only improve from now on? Sending you lots of positive thoughts ((((((((((&*%%&&)))))))))))))))

Toby sounds like you had a good session in the gym. I am going to buy the Christmas cake ingredients and make it at the weekend. Lets hope i can resist sampling it!

TB it surely cannot be as wet as last year????!!!!!!!!
  • Options

Am not feeling as miserable as I thought I would this morning!image Worst thing to look forward to is being laid up here!  Plenty of time to find somewhere else to live before thenimage Maybe I would qualify as a wheelchair entrant for BM, now THAT would strengthen my bicepsimage.  Though I expect with my luck as I throw my arms up as I cross the finish they would fly offimageimage

Thanks for the good wishes.  Onwards and upwards!

• Options

GF - have you had a 2nd opinion on the knee op? I'm asking because a few years ago I went to an ortho with what I thought was ITBS and he said no it was cartilage, he would schedule me for an op. I disagreed and asked for another opinion, got a referral to the University clinic near me for an MRI - the two docs there studied the 3D pic of my knee from all angles and confirmed my own diagnosis of ITBS.

Ran 8km on Saturday, 10km on Sunday followed by a 2000m swim. Tri club swim training on Tues (3200m). Didn't run yesterday, but I had to sort out putting my car in for service and picking up OH's car from a different garage - so I put my MTB in the back, drove to my garage, cycled the 25km back to the other place, picked up the other vehicle and threw my MTB in the back. Does that count as cross-training??? 

• Options

Here's some upwards!image

Did the Lotto last night as it was my half-birthdayimage yesterday and won £74!image  Now off to buy Xmas cake mix and a horde of Cadbury's choccieimageimage

• Options
    UI - thanks for that, the cartilage 'may' get better without the op while I am waiting.  My doc said cartilage and the physio is a very good one.  I'll see who I could see.
  • Options

GF: well done on lottery win, shame about the injury.

JT: Just worried that running with my mum over Ryde 10, my attempt at slow running may still be to fast for her. I have done events with her before, but always gone of at my own pace and met back up at end of race. I hope she can handle those hills.

Hit the treadmill at gym last night for speed work session. 10 miles, which breakdowns to 6 & 1/2 at 6:40 pace and 3 & 1/2 at 7:03 pace. With a 1 minute water stop this took 1:09 to finish. 3 months ago I would not have been able to run this fast, but progression as always seems slow, and I do wish I could still go faster.

Oh well, will head out for long run tomorrow.

• Options

SR

I think (and has been suggested before) you need to structure your speed sessions, think smart training. There are loads of suggestions here http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/general/speedwork-for-every-runner/167.html

And simply slow down a bit more for your Mum, walk if you have to, let her lead the pace and show her some respect!  Boys! image

• Options

Dips: never really considered a structured speed session as such. To me speed work is just running 10 miles as fast as I can, and over time improving my pace. I just sort of copied what the other faster lads at my gym do for there sessions. Maybe I should not be getting so down at my pace anyway, as if I can keep improving at the progression I am, the pace I aiming for is not that far away. Thanks for the link, I will have a look out of curiosity.

And I have no plans to run my mum into the groundimage. Will enjoy my day out over the island and run at her pace as best I can.

• Options

GF - I hope you get some good news if you get that 2nd opinion.

My groin was getting better until Monday when I did some speed work, slower than "normal". No pain, tightness etc when running but on the Tuesday it had tightened up at the top and only finally eased off this morning. It hadn't tightened up at all over the previous week. Saw the physio today and got some more treatment. He says the muscle is fine and the tendon at the top hadn't thickened up at all, just looks like I've got sensitive tendons and need to be really careful how I increase intensity. Physio suggested some compression support shorts to give my groin some support when running, so I've bought a pair and will try them out on Saturday providing my groin isn't tight.

This is really  frustrating not being able to "run free" and not worry about my groin and always having to check my pace so I don't over do it. Guess I'm just going to have to reset my target paces for the various distances to be slower than I know I can do if the groin was OK and SLOWLY build up to these new targets.

Keep on running everyone!!!!!!!!

• Options
    Dips: well I had a look at that link you gave and think I am happy with what I do. A quick glimpse at what was on offer all seems to start and stop for me. I just want to run and run as fast as I can, not having to stop for recovery. I call this session my speed work one of the week as it is the only session in the week where I push myself for pace. Maybe it is my inexperience at running and in time I will see the light regarding more structured sessions, but for now I am happy with the big picture of my improvements, it is just the short term gains that seem so slow in obtaining, hence my frustration in earlier post. Thanks for the suggestion though.
  • Options
    GF it's a shame you can't use your fairy wings to get around the course. Good news about the lottery win though, if you have any spare chocs would you care to lob one this way??? Plllleeeeaaasssseeee image

Blimey UI, that's definitely cross training!

SR, i would agree with Dips on that one, could you walk if you need to? I keep picturing the white rabbit in Alice in Wonderland when i read your posts - i'm late etc. (all meant in the nicest way, not being rude). Although we have met so maybe that entitles me to be cheeky?? image
    Does sound that maybe sprinty type intervals would help you? Although as you say, you keep setting PB's so something is going right.

RA sorry to hear the groin injury is still causing problems. This is definitely not a topic i thought i would be discussing before i started running!!

• Options
    SR,   You are obviously not ready for interval sessions Grasshopper image
  • Options

Mornin' all, had an email this am about the Brighton Half on Feb 20th; anyone here planning on running it?  Looking at the course it appears to cover much of the full course.

Definitely thinking of signing up for the Portugal warm weather training except it's impossible to get a flight from Birmingham to Faro on a Saturday, so it'll have to be Gatwick or Manchester.  image 

• Options

Training plan for Brighton 10k has come off the rails. Went on holiday (Egypt), but even the air-conditioned gym was too hot for serious work - not a problem thinks I, an easy week will do me good. Came back, missed one long run due to some lingering minor tummy trouble - hmm, ok not a disaster. Now I have a chest cold of the annoying wheezy variety which has slammed the brakes on but good. Should be clear by race day, but with my sharpening phase all gone to pot I think my target time is out the window. image

Oh well, at least soon I can start thinking properly about the marathon...

• Options
    This is my first week of training in preperation for next years Brighton Marathon, feels very good to be running again.
  • Options

Dips: Probably is a case of I am not ready for interval sessions. To be honest I find it confusing. 200 this then 400 that with 100 recovery. This is not why I started running to have my mind boggled. Suppose if I got myself to where ever the nearest track to me is, I could start to make sense of it all. But that is an aspect of running I have not looked into. Fartlet does not interest me, suppose I could try mile intervals. But I sort of do anyway. I find over the 10 mile fast session I can hold 7:04 M/M pace quite easy, so I speed it up to 6:40 M/M pace intermittently, then when things become a struggle I drop back to 7:04 M/M pace to gain my composure again, this is done throughout the whole 10 miles. Things at this pace are getting easier, and I am sure that not to soon in the future I will be comfortable running the whole 10 miles at 6:40 M/M pace, then at that point i will start pushing for 6:20 M/M intervals.

JT: I have not watched Alice in Wonderland, so have no idea what you are suggesting about the white rabbitimage.  Now you say no offence meant, so guess I will take your word on that. Oh and you also suggest maybe me taking walking breaks in my speed session. No offense meant, but I do not need to walk, just speed up, that is all.

THE CHEEK OF SOME PEOPLE- I was 23 miles into my long run earlier, with only a couple left and running a pleasing time, when I was coming to the end of the beach section of my run when I come across a terrier type dog that started running beside me and barking, I did not worry at this point,  just sort of looked at the elderly woman whose dog it was as if to suggest she could get her dog under control, with this she then asked me if I could stop running as I was scaring her dogs. I thought what, and told her I am allowed to run, and that if she can not control her dogs she should have them on a leash. By this time her other bigger mongrel type dog joined in barking at me, so with the woman giving me a puzzled look I continued on my way, with her dogs running beside me barking for a further 100 yards! When she finally managed to call them back, I shouted back to her she should have them dogs on a leash. I did feel for her as walking her dogs along the beach is allowed and they did not look like they were going to bite me, but it just puts you of when running, and the asking me to stop running as I scaring them! Enjoyed the run in what is probably the last of the warm weather for the year. Was stormy along the coast, but the strong wind in my favour made running home easier. So did 25 miles in 3:25. 

• Options
    No no SR, i was suggesting you walk when you do the race with your Mum.I thought you might take offence at me suggesting that, but your Mum would definitely appreciate you sticking with her and crossing the line together. aaaaaaah.

From your description of the treadmill sessions it sounds like you are doing intervals already, there are just different sorts where you run even quicker for a much shorter time, where you vary the recovery time etc. but i agree, it can become brain boggling. Especially if i have to do sums when i'm running along as i am pants at maths! The white rabbit is very cute, he just runs around saying 'i'm late' and looking at a large pocket watch, he is constantly rushing!

Cheeky woman, i hate dogs near me as i run in case they bite or trip me. I'm always ready to kick out if i need to. cheek.

Hi Goforit, have you run marathons before?

Beachbum sorry to hear your sad story, when is the race?

Dips are your eyes alright? image

Waves to PP and everyone else
  • Options

JT: oh, I see what you were implying with the mention of walking. To be honest I think my mum likes to try and run all the course, well from previous races we have done before she has. But knowing them IoW hills, we may end up walking partsimage.

I guess speed sessions mean different things to different people. Maybe my approach is not the best, but I am set in my ways and do not like being told I am doing things wrong. I suppose when the time comes I should join a local running club, then I could hopefully learn about speed work more in depth. But for the time being I am happy going about things as I do.

And as for the white rabbit, I do not have a pocket watch, but do use a stop watch I am always obsessively looking atimage.

• Options
    file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/julia/My%20Documents/white%20rabbit.jpg
  • Options
    no. just search google images for white rabbit and you'll find loads of pictures!