Options

The Middle Ground

Comments

• Options
    YD, Coincidentally the other half has been looking for accommodation today so yes, we will be heading up.

Running wise, it's been frustrating. Had a virus for a few weeks and this last week it has started to feel normal again until my calf seized on tonights run. This was immediately after entering a race on Sunday!
  • Options

simon, damn. Oh well, at least I have a benchmark for next time. I have plenty of weight so just need to find what's right for me. Would be good to see what you do as I know very little about weight lifting.

Middlesborough should be interesting! Shame it's a bit far for me to go...

Curly, how did the trail marathon go? I saw you mention it briefly on Fetch (6 hours something?).

I'm down at the track tomorrow (Cameroonians this time??) & the plan is to practice the first 150/200 of the weekend's race a few times. Not much volume at all, probably 600m max.

• Options

Well, I didn't shred my 800 time. I started in lane 1 and nobody seemed to want to take up first place coming off the bend. the Epsom guy did eventually did (this is the same bloke that outkicked me a few weeks back in a 1500 and has run 2:06 this year) eventually did and I settled into second. It felt very slow and I could hardly believe my ears when I heard the first lap split of 68/69!

So, either he is just taking it easy or he's not feeling good. I decide that if he is feeling good then nothing I do will make a difference, but if he's feeling bad then I can either sit and try and go past him (very unlikely since I doubt feeling poorly will affect your finishing kick much), or I can try and wind it up from a long way out (this is the sort of thing that could wear you down if you're not feeling great).

So, I overtook him on the bend and with 300 to go went into first place. I steadily increased my speed and at 200 when I felt he was about to go past I kicked a little. At 150 he did go past and I didn't have a hope in hell of staying with him. Worse, I had now burnt out and the other Epsom guy was on my shoulder. I couldn't stay with him either and had a painful last 100.

An interesting tactival race though and good fun. No idea what my time was. probably about 2:14/2:15.

There was a 5000 on about 40 minutes later and although I hadn't planned on it I thought I may as well get a good workout in and a point or two for the club, so I lined up again.

For the first mile I basically just stuck behind a guy from our club who normally runs just under 18, which I felt would be reasonable having already run an 800. He is normally metronomic, but we went through the first mile in about 5:30, which I knew was too fast. I slowed a little after that, but not tons and finished in about 18 minutes. No idea of the actual time since I have forgotten what was shouted with 600 to go and nobody bothered putting results up tonight.

I think I was a bit too cautious with the pace. I kept thinking "I can go faster than this", but was wary of burning out too early and I didn't really let myself hurt too much. I certainly recovered very quickly afterwards. I won't do any BS  calculations, but I will have to try and fit in one when fresh and go to the well with it. It was an interesting first go at 5000 on the track anyway and I suppose a PB since it's my first.

One thing it has confirmed is that I have lost a little endurance. My easy pace vs HR is better than ever before and I am still improving over 1500 and less, but 5k just seems so long now.

Dash, unlucky. Seized in what way though? Was it just cramp or something more serious?

• Options
    Simon, I've had this before. It's a strain but how bad, not sure yet. There s some discomfort this morning. Will rest till Sunday and try to decide whether it's worth an hours journey to potentially DNF.

It's been a very annoying year image
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Good racing Simon!  Glad you're sniffles didn't turn to anything.  Sometimes it's good to be a bit cautious and as you say as it's your first time at 5000 on the track it's a pb, with more to come off the next timeimage

Good to see you back in the swing of things Curly with your race plans etc!  Definitely not glandular fever.

Good training by everyone by the looks of things, which is always nice to see!

Thanks for your thoughts.  I have seen the doctor again and without going into detail he has come up with a couple of things it could be.  To rule out all nasties I have a brain scan booked for the end of this month.  Now it sounds quite alarming, but it's more to cancel out everything to do with that area before looking at the the most probable causes and if it were that serious they'd do it sooner!  I'm not concerned with that aspect, but it is likely what I have is more than just a normal virus - typical me really always have to be a bit differentimage  Anyway I did manage a 4 miles jog this morning, that wasn't great, but better than nought.  I can have an okay run one day then a shocker the next, so it's take each day as it comes...image 

Hope the calf is okay Dash!

• Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Duck it was more of a bimble round with a friend who training for a 50 mile race. Total moving time 5:35 versus actual race time of 6:32! The time lost was in check points with tea and cake. It was never going to be a fast course anyway, but I was never struggling at any point so just used it as a good stamina builder and the knowledge than I can complete 26.5 miles on tough terrain is good to have.

It means that the campaign for Brighton next year is starting from a good base at least. Loads of stuff to work on, starting with speed and then speed endurance but its good to know that I wont have to do that AND try to learn to run long again.

Simon sounds like a worthwhile pacing and tactics lesson even if it didnt result in the time you wanted. Your endurance will come back when you switch emphasis again. I wouldn't worry about it too much for now.

Dash I dont know what its like up there but down here is pretty humid and even I am sweating a lot. Cramp could have been due to that perhaps?

• Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Sorry double cross post!

Dash ah that is bad news image Hope it heals quickly.

Hilly hope you are okay. I realise how frustrating this must be for you as someone who has been able to run through most things, but I wonder if a week or two off might aid recovery rather than trying to run at all?

• Options
    RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

Simon, it's not that you've lost endurance, it's that you've lost the mental ability to endure...  Duck, weights?  You're becoming a sprinter!  Hilly, pull your immune system together, this has gone on long enough!  Curly, wheresyabin?  Nice MMT.

8 miles yesterday for me.  4 walking am.  4 running pm.  The walking miles were tougher.  Weekend was a bit busy, involving only a Saturday bimble and a little gym, and Sunday was simply time on feet in gardens and kitchens and the like.  Don't know what's on for tonight at the track, but probably a short session as there's bound to be a meet somewhere in the world tomorrow.  I might do extra if it is short as I feel more comfortable with the speed endurance stuff than the speed stuff.  It's time to start gradually building the miles up again, so I'm looking at how to build on any speed I've earned with the last couple of months.

• Options
    RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

Oh, forgot, YP, would you be up for parkrunning in your area on the August Bank Holiday w/e?  I've not done a London area one.  Anyone else?  Could do with a sub-19 pacemaker...

• Options
    Thanks all, am not wallowing as you've all been through a lot worse and it's not that I've been setting the world alight lately. Perspective is the watchword.

Good luck Hilly, get well and you never know, us pair of sicknotes might just about make it to the Dereham startline!
  • Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Curly - good to see you back at it with some medium-term race plans.  There's an outside chance I could be doing Gosport myself; necessary scenario being that my club mate fails to achieve sub-75 at GER and I volunteer to try and pace him round for the same target at Gosport. So hopefully not!

Dash - Good luck getting back to it, no rush though.  (Especially as the "Summer" is probably being saved for a three day period in September...)

Hilly - Here's to you getting to the bottom of it.  image

Simon - I think Ratzer might have something there on the mental aspect.  I find the track looks a bigger place when you have to run round it 12.5 times without rests in between!  Honestly, I'm not sure whether I'd volunteer to run a 5,000m race or a flat 5k road race round a pretty park to try and log the quickest time.

...speaking of which I've confirmed my attendance at the 10,000m race taking place in Biggleswade on Thursday evening.  I'm in the B race, with the A race being rather tasty.  25 laps.  Oof!  This could be hell.  Think I might wear an iPod.

• Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Ratzer we are around. We are doing an Olmpyic pub run on the Monday I believe - 12 miles, 12 pubs all around Greenwich (including a short hop on the cable car). You'd be welcome to join in image

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

What's this?  Drinking and running in my back yard?  On a bank holiday?  Hmmm...

• Options

Oi! You're busy on the 6th, Phil!

Ratzer, Phil, I think you're right. I really could have pushed myself harder if I'd wanted to. but I think for a proper effort I need to know I am doing one in advance and prepare myself mentally for pain endurance. Obviously being fresh will help too. My 1500 time says a 16:45 should be possible. It's not, but I should be able to manage something closer to 17 than 18.

I'll be up for a Bank Holiday parkrun, and also happy to offer some sub-19 pacemaking. Banstead Woods is the nicest I've done around these parts. There is a bugger of a hill at the start of lap two, but it is a short one and the course is net downhill with a very fast finish.

Duck, you're down for the 3 x 1 mile on Monday 6th, so you may as well join in. Have you decided on your exact dates yet?

Hilly, I was thinking the same as Curly. As much as runners hate it, sometimes a complete rest is what's needed.

• Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    PhilPub wrote (see)

What's this?  Drinking and running in my back yard?  On a bank holiday?  Hmmm...

Its good it is! Well so I have heard anyway. There is lots of silliness too:
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/46146_461766482385_3386009_n.jpg

You know you want to image

• Options

Oh, that's Scotland only. Carry on image

• Options
    RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

So, Banstead Woods on the 25th?  Greenwich on the 27th?  Anyone got anything going on the Sunday 26th otherwise I'll be heading into Greenwich with a hangover already - an evening of athletics would do.  Can't remember the last time I spent a weekend in Lahndahn that didn't end in running to a pub...  Must also be able to drive safely on the Tuesday... image

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Thanks for the thoughts again folks.  I have taken time off and I have taken lots of rest in other ways, so we'll see.  For now I'll be taking a bit of a breather from posting until I'm able to come on and not moan about illness.

Run strong and keep up the good work!image

• Options

Took a while to find this. Phil, our smackdown is on the 18th, yes? I take it you are not doing the 10k, if so. I tried checking out the Cambridge Harriers website, but after I had stopped vomiting from the assualt on my vision I still couldn't find a reference to it.

Looks like the Cabbage Patch could be a bit of a thread smackdown image

Duck, I have decided we are smacking down on the 13thimage

MIDDLE GROUND RACE CALENDAR

July

11th JP Morgan Corporate Challenge, Battersea - YoungPup
    11th Doncaster 5K - Hilly, BR, PRF
    12th - Biggleswade Open 10,000m - PhilPub
    14th - SAL Fix 4, Croydon - 800m, 1500m - Simon
    15th Eccup 10M - Dr.Dan
    15th Burton Leonard 10k - YD
    17th  - NYSD T&F 1mile Darlington - YD
    18th - Wroxham 5k
    18th - Brighton Phoenix 10k - PhilPub
    18th - Club Mile - PRF, BR, Hilly
    22nd - Down Tow Up Flow HM - YoungPup
    22nd - Dereham 5K - BR, Hilly, forever, PRF
    25th Laxton 10k - Hilly, BR, PRF
    25th Rosenheim Fix 5, Tooting Bec, 800m, 3000m - Simon
    29th Saltburn 10k? Mr V
    29th - Leeds Xpress Tri (sprint) - Dr.Dan

August
    1st - Yateley 10k - PhilPub
    1st - Spencers Arms Dash - PRF
    4th - Self Transcendence 10K, Battersea - BR, Hilly, PRF
    6th - Self Transcendence 3 x 1 mile relay, Battersea - Simon, Phil & Duck
    12th - Darlington 10k - MrV
    12th - Mid-Kent 5 mile - PhilPub
    13th - Blackheath & Bromley Open, Norman Park, 800, Simon & Duck
    18th - Tooting Bec Open, ?, Simon
    19th - Birchwood 10K - BR, Hilly, PRF
    22nd - HydePark Harriers Mile, Leeds - PRF

September
    1st - SAL Fix 5, Eastbourne, 800, 1500 - Simon
    2nd - Kent Coastal Marathon - YoungPup
    2nd - Ryedale 10m - MrV
    5th - Spencers Arms Dash - PRF
    9th - Lake Vyrnwy HM - Dr.Dan, Hilly, BR, PRF
    9th - Cardiff 10k - PhilPub
    20th - Ron Hill's Birthday 5K - PRF
    23rd - "Kirkstall 7" (trail) - Dr.Dan
    30th - Horsforth 10K - Dr.Dan
    30th - Redcar HM - MrV

October
    7th - Chester Marathon - Dr.Dan, Hilly, BR, PRF
    14th - Great Eastern Run HM - PhilPub, MrV?
    21st - Cabbage Patch 10 - YoungPup, BR, Hilly, PRF, YD?, Simon, Curly

November
    ?? 18th/25th November - Leeds Abbey Dash - Dr.Dan, Hilly, BR, MrV
    18th - Winter Ballbuster Duathlon - PhilPub

April 2014 - Boston Marathon - prf/Hilly/BR

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Simon - yes, I was a bit premature declaring the 10k on the race calendar as it was merely a "definitely maybe" rather than a firm booking.  Eltham is indeed the 18th, and I booked it via the BMC website, which is much less offensive.

An update then.  I'm not scoring very highly at the Wednesday velodrome league, especially as I have three consecutive mid-week races starting with the 1,500. I've also recently booked in a BMC 5,000 in Coventry (!), and added a duathlon and club champs 5,000 in September.

July

15th Eccup 10M - Dr.Dan
    17th Ashton Open - 1500m - Simon
    17th - NYSD T&F 1mile Darlington - YD
    18th - Wroxham 5k
    18th - BMC 1,500m, Eltham - PhilPub
    25th - BMC 5,000m, Coventry - PhilPub
    29th Saltburn 10k? Mr V

August

September
    2nd - Ryedale 10m - MrV
    9th - London Duathlon, Richmond Park - PhilPub
    13th - Club Champs 5,000m - PhilPub
    30th - Redcar HM - MrV

October

November

• Options
    RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

PP, what are you doing down in Cardiff on the 9/9?  Are you attending the world's most expensive, gold-plated, diamond-encrusted 10k??

x-post:  I see you've realised that we're in recession...

• Options

C'mon, Phil. Cabbage Patch.

July

15th Eccup 10M - Dr.Dan
    18th - Wroxham 5k
    18th - BMC 1,500m, Eltham - PhilPub, Simon
    29th Saltburn 10k? Mr V

August

September
    2nd - Ryedale 10m - MrV
    30th - Redcar HM - MrV

October

November

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

image Ninja-edit double-x-posts...

Cardiff was another definite-maybe but got usurped by an event closer to home.  Also, the initial plan was to crash with a club mate who has recently moved there, but he's now decided to expect a baby something like three days earlier.  Most inconvenient!

• Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

July

11th Coad Cup 5m XC - Curly
    15th Eccup 10M - Dr.Dan
    18th - Wroxham 5k
    22nd - Down Tow Up Flow HM - YoungPup, Curly
    29th Saltburn 10k? Mr V

August

September
    2nd - Ryedale 10m - MrV
    30th - Redcar HM - MrV

October

November
    18th - Gosport Half - Curly, YoungPup

April 2013
    Brighton Marathon - Curly

I am tempted by that Battersea 10k on 4th August...will check diary and get back to you! Dont think I will do the mile though (sorry Mother Duck) as I am just not in fast running shape atm.

• Options
    Simon Edward wrote (see)

Duck, I have decided we are smacking down on the 13thimage

Hmm! Now that does sound interesting image

And an interesting pair of races last night!

Yeah I think the bank holidays are different up here. I will be coming down on the 6th for sure, but I'm still not sure on my return dates until I A. (hopefully) Get the job I'm applying for and B. Sort out exactly how much time I can wrangle off if i get said job. All I can say is I will be there for the relays on the 6th and that's it for now. if I get everything my way (unlikley) then I'd like to stay & parkrun on the Saturday but staying until the 13th might be too long. I will find out asap.

Dash, hope everything clears up soon. As with Hilly. A scan does sound quite alarming but best to rule it out I guess.

Curly, I was thinking the same thing as I was reading what you'd said. The good news is you have plenty of time to work on everything now and the beauty of muscle memory is that you'l be back to where you were quicker than it took to get there originally.

That's ok about the mile (although do please turn up at least!). 

Didn't have the best track session today, which I am putting down to weights yesterday leaving me tired. I lacked knee lift through tired quads, which consequently affected rear leg drive and henceforth speed. Still, to run 20.3, 20.3 for 150 and 26.6 for 200 (all sub-maximal) is pretty good for feeling below par. I also did a 60 but it was untimed. Time for a bit of R&R before the weekend!

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Simon Edward wrote (see)

C'mon, Phil. Cabbage Patch.

I haven't completely ruled this out, and it has been a topic of discussion with a club mate.  10 miles is still my softest PB (I've run exactly 3 minutes quicker in training, FFS!) and I still haven't got one scheduled for the year.  It's not ideal timing - one week after the GER half, and the day before is our first XC league fixture.  I could just pretend I'm from Barnsley, where only racing three times in a week is the running equivalent of drinking shandy.  image

Duck - spritely stuff again. The weights probably make you feel slower than you are, especially when you're still loosening up.

• Options
    Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Duck of course - I'll pop in on my way home from work image

For those needing a hotel for Cabbage Patch, there is one on top of the train station opposite the pub image I think it is a travelodge.

• Options
    parkrunfanparkrunfan ✭✭✭

Whats happened today to make you all go into hyper planning mode?

Might as well join in and stick a few more things in..... image

July

15th Eccup 10M - Dr.Dan
    18th - Dorothy Hyman Club Mile - PRF, BR
    18th - Wroxham 5k
    24th - Stretford Open 1500 - PRF
    25th - Laxton 10k - Hilly, BR, PRF
    25th - Rosenheim Fix 5, Tooting Bec, 800m, 3000m - Simon
    29th Saltburn 10k? Mr V

August
    14th - York Millenium Bridge 5K - PRF
    15th - HydePark Harriers Mile, Leeds - PRF
    24th/25th - Yorkshire 20:20 Challenge - PRF, BR

September
    2nd - Ryedale 10m - MrV
    8th - Sth Leeds Mile - PRF
    16th - Great North Run - PRF
    23rd - Spen Greenway 10K
    30th - Redcar HM - MrV

October

November

April 2013

• Options
    RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

July

15th Eccup 10M - Dr.Dan
    18th - Dorothy Hyman Club Mile - PRF, BR
    18th - Wroxham 5k
    24th - Stretford Open 1500 - PRF
    25th - Laxton 10k - Hilly, BR, PRF
    25th - Rosenheim Fix 5, Tooting Bec, 800m, 3000m - Simon
    29th Saltburn 10k? Mr V

August
    14th - York Millenium Bridge 5K - PRF
    15th - HydePark Harriers Mile, Leeds - PRF
    24th/25th - Yorkshire 20:20 Challenge - PRF, BR
    25th - Banstead Woods 19:00 Challenge - Ratzer
    27th - Greenwich 10 PuB Dash - Ratzer, Curly

September
    2nd - Ryedale 10m - MrV
    8th - Sth Leeds Mile - PRF
    16th - Great North Run - PRF
    23rd - Spen Greenway 10K
    30th - Redcar HM - MrV
    30th - Bristol HM - Ratzer

October
    14th - Cardiff HM - Ratzer
    21st - Cabbage Patch 10 - YoungPup, BR, Hilly, PRF, YD?, Simon, Curly, Ratzer?

November

April 2013
    VLM - Ratzer