72.68% Mr V (5K 17.45 June)
    71.95% Dash (10K, 39:47, April)
    70.10% YoungPup (5K, 19:29, June)

68.63% Dr.Dan (5K, 20:40, June)
    67.40% Darola (5K, 21:12, June)
    64.94% CB (5K, 20:25, April)

• Options
    RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

Simon, I did a sprinter's cooldown.  I walked back to the car.  image  Nah, I did the FRSs gradually slower, then a regressive lap and a few more very loose strides.  A little bit of a static stretch and then walked back to the car.  I was actually considering going out for a recovery run afterwards, but woken up this morning feeling only like everything's been well used, but none of the DOMS of a short session.  Like I thought, last night's session was more aligned to distance running, and so I managed it fairly well.  The short sessions use stuff I haven't used since I snapped my ACL many years ago.

Have you checked out the cover of the Special Beginner's Issue of RW, advertised on the right?  Get Fit Fast, with a perfect 10 week HM plan.  For Beginners??? image  Who'd've thunk it?  Zero to racing a HM in 10 weeks.  Luckily there's a section on preventing knee pain.

YP, further to Simon's question on that sub-19, where are you based?  Your times and mine are close enough to go for the sub-19 together, before you suddenly disappear off into the distance going for sub-18 with all that youth on your side.  At the least we could have a virtual attempt at our local parkruns on the same Saturday.  I say all that, but of course from late July until late August I won't be in the country to do a parkrun...  Work...  Who'd do it...?

Someone sort that WAVA table out for Hilly.

• Options
    YoungPupYoungPup ✭✭✭
    Ratzer - I'm based in Epsom, Surrey. Where are you? I'd be very happy to go for sub-19 together (either literally or virtually) at some point, but I'm not sure I'm in that kind of shape just yet. I'm also away for almost the whole of August, but in my case that's holiday......... So, how about late September?

Also, when it comes to me having all that youth in my side, by my reckoning I have a maximum of 11 months......
  • Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭

Ratzer - You are a very tempting wava target right now. Apparantly I need to run 29.19 in my 5 miler next week to move above you. So guess what my target is image

YP - How did you find the 800s? I think they are the session I find hardest.

It was certainly hard work running last night. Hope things freshen up soon as I can't say I enjoy running all that much when its like this.

• Options

Mr Viper wrote (see)

Ratzer - You are a very tempting wava target right now. Apparantly I need to run 29.19 in my 5 miler next week to move above you. So guess what my target is image

The wava table certainly brings out the competitive side of us allimage 

Mr V we have had masses of ran overnight and this morning but it's still not cleared the air properly.

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

MIDDLE GROUND WAVA LEAGUE (April- July)
    Calculator here: http://www.howardgrubb.co.uk/athletics/wmalookup06.html

84.68% Hilly (5K, 19:20, April)
    83.98% PhilPub (HM, 1:12:48, May)
    83.19% BR (10K, 34:40, June)
    81.22% PRF (10K, 36:37, June)

77.97% forever (10K, 42:34, April)
    77.46% Duck (800m, 2'10.58, May)
    76.97% Simon E (1500m, 4’33.18, July)
    74.50% YD (5K, 17:31, April)
    73.94% Minni (10K, 42:57, April)
    72.73% Ratzer (100m, 14.2, June)
    72.68% Mr V (5K, 17:45, June)
    71.95% Dash (10K, 39:47, April)
    70.10% YoungPup (5K, 19:29, June)

68.63% Dr.Dan (5K, 20:40, June)
    67.40% Darola (5K, 21:12, June)
    64.94% CB (5K, 20:25, April)

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

image .... just some housekeeping.image

Err, I didn't cycle to work today. Probably could have swum though.

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    The Duckinator wrote (see)

Went 26.0, 19.3, 12.7 (!!), 26.2, 19.8.

F*ck me, these youngsters are quick!  I know it's a different kettle of fish, but when I've managed to get a 200 rep down to 32 seconds I think I'm flying!

Simon Edward wrote (see)

Phil, blimey If you match your WAVA over 1500 it won't be much of a race I'm afraid.

See above.  image

Yesterday's 5k was bizarre, and must go down in my blonde moments next to my classic 4,600m race/400m lactic-nightmare when I got my lap counting mixed up.  I spent most of the race running along with two club mates at a pretty hard but consistent slog, with splits very similar to my track 5,000 on Saturday, so I knew the time would be decent enough if I could hold on.  Conditions were pretty good, no wind, not so sticky, but my breathing felt harder than it should, also clocked yet another record average HR (189, 1 beat higher than Saturday).  Anyway, we began splitting up just after 3k, one guy edging ahead, one guy lagging just behind, and I spent most of the last k chasing down a London Heathside runner who looked like he was struggling (so was I, but less so).  Somehow found a kick in the last 200 metres and overtook him, knew I had him beat but head felt foggy, eyes clouding over... at which point I thought I saw the "finish line"... what I actually saw was two marshals standing opposite each other across the path (that's a finish line isn't it??), but having stopped I then saw a 5k marker about 10 yards further on.  Oh bugger!  Carry on!  Stopped again... "Phil, keep going!" shouts Chris, who thought I'd got cramp.  OK, there's the finish line over there!  image  By whch time I've been overtaken by the Heathside runner and possibly my own club mate, although I was feeling sort of end-of-race drunk and didn't really know what was going on.  FFS!

So don't ask me what time I ran.  I stopped the watch at 16:28, which must've been the time I got to the first "finish line", and if I'd carried on at the same pace I probably would've clocked low 16:30s.  The results will probably show just under 16:40 and a couple of positions down on where I should have been.  Whatever.  It's a good job I don't do complicated sports like orienteering...  or brain surgery, imagine that!  "Are we there yet?"  image

• Options
    YoungPupYoungPup ✭✭✭
    Mr V - I found the 800 session pretty tough, but I was really pleased with how it went, as I managed to hit my target of 3:10 for all 5 reps. At the end of the 5th rep I was blowing very hard and was dripping in sweat, but the sense of having nailed the session was great image
  • Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

YP ... very nice.image

PhilP ... very blonde.image

• Options
    RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭
    Mr Viper wrote (see)

Whereas I'd have to run 31:16.  But I'd much rather be capable of racing you!  Still, that won't be long with all this sprinty stuff. image

Phil, blonde as... prf??

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Ratzer wrote (see)

Phil, blonde as... prf??

I'd have him down as more "ash blonde" (the way my temples are going.)  Maybe I could call it having a McFlurry moment.

• Options

Simon, you've TT'd 28.5? Or slightly faster? I think .5 off in a race is managebale. 

Phil, 32 is still pretty quick! You might be able to 'only' run 32 but I bet you can hold that pace much longer than I can. 

Oh dear to your race last night! They should have put up a R4L inflatable banner over the finish for you.

4M today which felt ok - my best easy run in a while!

I'm being tempted by a just-longer-than-5k hill race on July 21st - 1.6M up a 320m hill apparently. Muddy and wet, could be fun. 

• Options

Ratzer, I use adblock (he says smugly) so I don't see such nonsense.

Phil, haha! You poor sod. Nice racing though. BTW you know a 1500 finishes half way down the home straight, right ...image

Duck, 1.6m is greater than 5k?

I managed 28.2 back in March I think.

Word on the track is that Rudisha's going for a WR tonight. Should be a good night of athletics all round.

• Options
    Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

'struth ... that was one very wet runimage. 9.6M with 8.3M at sub-LT (7:25/m at 81.5% maxHR). Felt very very good today, despite a tough day yesterday, and could have gone on for a few more miles. But I'm sensible thesedaysimage, so I didn't.

• Options

Simon, 1.6 uphill, 1.6 downhill. 27.xx for you should be doable off that. 

I hear about Rudisha too, is it on TV anywhere?

Nice going Dan!

• Options

BBC Red Button 7pm-9pm

Nice run, Dan. Those long steady runs are one of the most important IMO.

• Options

Some good athletics last night. Nice run by Dai Greene. Shame Rudisha didn' t break the WR but it's a matter of if rather than when at this point.

Went to the track today to do 8*400 but didn't realise they up their prices Saturday morning - it must be a peak time - so didn't have enough money on me to use the track! Thankfully the parkrun start is less than a mile from the track so ended up standing on the startline to do a parkrun I really didn't feel up for, in howling winds. 

Started and fell into about 12th or 13th at the turn as we hit the wind. Pace dropped right down to about the 6:40's and I wasn't going to fight the wind at this point & just sheltered in behind who I could find. Mile 1 in 6'28 and I was still feeling pretty relaxed. Was tucked in behind someone in front of me who obviously didn't take too kindly to me using him as a wind break & he decided to surge to build up a gap. I went with him for about 10m before realising it probably wasn't the best option given the headwind. Sure enough, he started to stuggle and I caught up to him at the turn point after 1.5M.

Now we had the wind at our backs but as always never regained as much time as was lost in the headwind. Mile 2 in 6'29 & I was still feeling pretty good, running solidly without really forcing the issue. Someone was dropping back from the large pack in front so I just set me sights on him and slowly reeled him in over the next mile. Caught up to him right on the final turn & pulled away (Mile 3 6'08) to finish 8th in 19'49. Time utterly irrelevant today with the conditions, but talking afterwards everyone agreed the conditions were worth about a minute. 

Happy with the time, a solid run without pushing it. Much better than last week's run. Did more pylometrics when I went home and my standing long jump averaged just over 2m - compared with a max of 1.9m last week!

• Options
    parkrunfanparkrunfan ✭✭✭

Phil - You plonker image It doesnt take away from what was an excellent performance though. image

YP - I want to do a session like that....but cant find a slot to fit one in. I bet you felt great afterwards!

Two races to report since yesterday evening, Walkington 10K near Hull last night and the inaugural Stewart parkrun in Middlesbrough this morning.

Walkington 10K - Nothing resting on this at all and heard it was a bit of a testing course so decided to use at a really good hard training session and if I blew up then so be it.

Normal steady start, settling in 18th, then gradually worked through to 8th by 2 miles and although feeling comfortable I was surprisingly close to the leading group that included at least one recent sub 2:30 marathon runner.

By the next hill though my legs had topped out as they remembered the Spencer Arms 48 hours earlier. They were refusing to move as fast as my breathing seemed to be capable of. It felt like I was running in slow motion for the rest of the race as, with no obvious discomfort, I was shuffled right back to where I started in 18th.

In the end, 38:26 on a course which was 2 minutes slower for everyone. Job done, a good training session was had. image

Stewart parkrun - A really nice venue but shrouded in fog this morning. A 2 lapper with a 2-300m soggy grass section and an ankle deep puddle to negotiate on each lap. 8th early doors, up to 6th by 1 mile and 3rd shortly afterwards.

I then noticed that the two leaders had decided to stop and have a chat mid race (one of whom is known as BR and posts on a well known running forum). They spoiled my fun by starting running again and so in the end did finish 3rd in 18:27.

That means that the last three parkruns at Dewsbury, Barnsley and Stewart have been 18:24, 18:27, 18:27 -consistency despite totally different courses and totally different build ups.

A bit of a rest now before the next race - The Birdsedge Challenge, a 6 mile trail race in the morning.

• Options

Rudisha certainly looked impressive last night and in a different class.

Can sympathise with the wind Duck, a bit like that at Gorleston this morning.

Out of curiosity how much does it cost to use the track? One of the reasons I don't use one is it's pretty expensive here. Very good improtu parkrun image

I was going to try for a pb this morning as the route changed today and the course is much better, using a wider path. I knew during the warm up though it was pointless to attempt really, with a headwind today on the top section and very hot along the promenade, out of the wind.

Ended up doing a progressive hard run in 21.37 and first lady. Ten miles in total. Very happy with the way my legs felt too considering two hiily hot 10k races in the last week.

• Options

forever - usually £2 for as long as I want but it was £3.30 this morning (and there's no cash machine there). It's an excellent deal in either case. 

nice training run there. And prf's racing run continues! Sounds like Stewart parkrun was an interesting course.

• Options

As I thought Duck ours is expensive £4.20 image might aswell enter a race image

Lots of quality in the bag for you this week prf! Hope your trail race isn't too water loggged.

• Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭

Duck - Were you feeling better today? I know you said you have been a bit flat running wise recently.

PRF - Good results considering your racing run. Hopefully I'll be able to get down to Chester le Street next Saturday to put you in your place image

Forever - Sounds a good result with the heat and the wind.

I did 12 miles this morning including Newcastle parkrun at 5 mile pace as practice for Tuesday. It was the 3rd choice course today which is a little long (3.16 on the garmin) and quite twisty early on. So time of 18.43 for 5th place was worth a bit extra. Average pace of 5.55 seems about right (unless it cools a lot by Tuesday!) and I finished feeling I could keep that pace going for the full 5miles.

• Options

Nice run Mr V - sub-29'30 looks a possiblity! 

I felt much better thanks - strong but lacking pace. The engine is there but the gearing's not sorted out yet.

• Options
    YoungPupYoungPup ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

I went to a friend's 40th bash last night and had way too much champagne, white wine, red wine, and dessert wine.... As such, I was expecting today's run to be a bit of a grind.

However, I left it until 5.30pm, and did 8 off-road miles with the dog @ average pace of 07:50/mile. Surprisingly, I felt remarkably good throughout the run, so maybe I've discovered a great new training trick?image

Dr Dan - that was an impressive training run from you last night. Have you always trained by heart rate?

PhilPub - great story about your race. Do you think your eyesight is starting to go now you're old, or could this be early stage senility setting in?image

Duck, prf, forever, and MrV - nice parkrunning / training

prf - yep, I did feel very upbeat after nailing the 5*800 session during the week image and it's amazing ( and probably a little sad ) how much difference in my mood a good session makes versus a bad session.....
  • Options
    parkrunfanparkrunfan ✭✭✭

My track is £3.50 but discounted to £3 for regular users, so the same sort of ballpark.

forever - 1st lady while doing a training run, thats just showing off! image(Again image)

Duck - Good solid grafting this morning and a nice win for your mum too I notice.

Mr V - Its like that is it! That sounds suspiciously like smackdown talk.... image In the meantime have a good crack on Tuesday, theres something very satisfying about nailing a good 5 miler.

YP - BR & Hilly discovered that one a long time ago image

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭

PRF- cheekyimage

Nice parkrunning folks - PRF, BR, Duck, Mr V and forever!  I tried to join the list with a  jump back into it parkrun yesterday, but unfortuantely I only managed 1 lap of the 2 lap course (or would've been 2 but one was a warm up) before my energy system gave upimage  I had a bad day yesterday, sleeping on and off nearly all day - this is how this virus affects me on some days.  It's really strange as one day I think I'm getting better and then the next I'm totally wiped out and can't function properly.  Oh well off to the docs tomorrow to have another check over!  I'm sure I'll be  out there putting in some good training soon, just need a bit of patienceimage

Off to jog up and watch a club race this morning which PRF and BR are going to do, should be nice and wet for themimage

Enjoy your running today folks!

• Options

Crikey Hilly this has been going on for awhile now. Maybe the Dr will be able to shed some light on things for you. Wrap up well today ....it is pouring down here...againimage

prf lol we are talking about Gorleston parkrun you know. I really don't know why it isn't more popular. I love my runs by the sea.

YP I agree a good or bad run certainly can change the mood!

• Options
    YoungPupYoungPup ✭✭✭
    15.5 off-road, very wet and very muddy miles for me this morning. I decided to wear my Roc-lites and it was great fun aiming for the middle of the muddy bits and just ploughing straight through....

Hope those racing have as much fun as I had, and looking forward to the race reports...
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Yes forever it has gone on a while - over 4 weeks now.  Woke up in the night with a headache!  Ran this morning to watch the race and felt fatigued, but then went out to dinner feeling fine, but wiped out this afternoon with yet another headache and feeling sleepy!  Bought 2 nice pairs of trainers though for when back properlyimage

Race was good to watch too, but I don't think one of the two enjoyed it very muchimage

Sounds like fun YP!