Options

Who else gets up at stupid O clock to run ??

Comments

• Options
    Good luck at Hever. I've not done a training plan yet for my IM next year. Most people do a 30 week programme. But that's too long for me. I will keep a good base and cycle lots then sharpen up in the last 10 weeks. I am starting to work out which races to enter. Gatliff looks like it might be next on the plan. image

That study sounds good. And will be useful to as they will help you understand thresholds and diet better than the rest of do I am sure.
  • Options

morning all

feeling rubbish so doing as little as possible today

• Options

Morning you lot

I found out at 1:30pm ish yesterday that I've got a 6 month contract till 31st March 13 and start in my 'old office' on Monday morning. I'll be working for an agency and 2 colleagues also got similar extensions.

Thing was I took in a big box of chocs and we'd a leaving lunch yesterday for a few of us !image I got also received a leaving pressie Michael Johnsons book 'Gold Rush' !

JF: Oh yes the Civil Service, 'Yes Minister' is still very much alive and wellimage They are going to take 3 jobs and make it into two in our office, the other persongetting an extension  works in another office.

Tommy: Briliant and DOHimage

• Options

Kate:Thing was I'd not alot left in my desk by yesterday

Maths Hope you feel better soon.

Walked Geordie for 1hr down at River Clyde today. Nice walk to clear my head.

• Options

Good morning allimage

16 miles inc park run

Kate, No big park run performance ,the last couple of weeks has seen me move back to sub 22 minutes but still away to go to a big performance. good luck today and I'm sure your be fine for next week too

Maths, get well soon.

Birky, Glad to hear you got an extension , good luck at forres mechs today.

Psc, When is your Ironman next year and whats your weakest discipline.

Tommy, Hope you have caught up on your sleep.

Hi to  Celtic runner,Chris,Emmy, JF50, Katie

• Options

Hi all,

Long time no post but would have felt a bit of a fraud as al my training has been NOC lately. Was out early-ish this morning though for an 11 mile jaunt across the MOD land then National Trust and then RSPB and then Forestry Commission so covered most of the main UK landowners. Steelman didn't happen last weekend (for me that is) as it clashed with the start of my son's term at Nottingham Uni and we spent the day transporting Richard and most of his belongings back to his digs in Lenton. Will be up early tomorrow for a Sprint Tri at Thorpe Park. Registration starts at 6:30 and the race kicks off at 8am. 

Hope everyone is well and enjoying the weekend. Will report back after the race tomorrow.

• Options

Evening you lot

valis: Two good 1 goal away wins at Arsenal and Forres Mechanics respectively todayimage

Chris: It's good to have you back with us. All the best for tomorrows Sprint Tri.

• Options

have fun tomorrow Chris

• Options

Evening Maths.

• Options

Good Morning allimage

6 miles this morning, I did plan more however a late night at a nephews birthday saw me get up a bit later than I wanted this morning also felt a bit heavy legged.

Birky, All going well so far.

Chris , Good luck

• Options

morning all

still no running as I am still getting over the lurgey

have a nice Sunday everyone

• Options

morning gang.... I'm being pleasantly idle this morning and watching the Brownlee's on telly.  

Valis, re your question (weakest discipline), I'm not sure.  Probably swimming, but as I know that it takes stupid amounts of training to improve I am happy to be swim fit but make no attempt to beat my time in the water.  An IM swim takes me about 1:30 hrs which is fine for me.....  The biggest improvement I made at my last IM was the bike and there is still much more I can do.  I didn't quite break 6 hours which I reckon would be relatively easy with some better training.  As for the run, well one foot in front of another isn't itimage  The race report form my last IM is HERE .  If I actually think about it transitions are my weakest skill.  Its like shopping, I stand there saying to myself, now what do I need for the bike or the run... erm.  I keep kidding myself that I am good enough to develop my race plan on the hoof; the reality of course is that you need to set the race plan before the race!

Hope the racers are having fun at Hever... I'm glad I'm not getting into water at 14 degrees.... brrrrrrr

Chris, good to see you back.  And don't be soft - you're no fraud just because you have been NOC running and not out at SOC!  

• Options
    530am530am ✭✭✭

Morning L&G

Finally saw the Fratton boys win yesterday. Turgid stuff, but hey first home win.

Sunday morrning seems as an appropriate time as any for confessions. No SOC since the New Forest marathon. Felt very tired all week. Two marathons in eight days is quite enough for this fast ageing so and so. However, I fall back on the fact that I have completed 3 halfs and 5 fulls in my first year of running. I have my first overseas marathon next Sunday, OK it's just across the Solent. Will definitely get one or two shortish runs in before boarding the ferry.

I doth my cap (yep the  nasty cheap one from Sports Direct image) to you all. Especially the tri-people. Surprised not to see  a race report up from the assassin. 

It's a father and son weekend here, girls up to the in-laws, so lunch will be from the pub by the harbour.

• Options

Morning..

Triathlon went well this morning despite the early start and chilly water. I need to speed up my swim/bike transition time though; it took me ages to get my feet out of my wetsuit and then forever to get my socks on because I've got a sore back at the moment (from dragging a heavy rowing boat up and down the beach in Ireland) and so I couldn't bend over properly and had to sit down to put them on! It was frustrating to get out of the water ahead of people only to see them race off on their bikes while I was still faffing around in transition! Anyway, I made up quite a few places on the cycle leg and a few more on the run so not too bad. Looking forward to hearing how Kate got on at Hever.

Maths - hope you're over the worst of the lurgey. PSC - I'll check out your IM report, I'm contemplating doing one next year as I've deferred my MDS entry until 2014 so that I can try to save up some more cash to pay for it!

• Options

Chris - well done. I am rubbish at transition too. image

PSC - loved your IM report.

5:30 - 5 fulls in your first year of running? that is good going, no wonder you need a little rest

• Options

Afternoon all - lots of cross training, football and tri on here! Sorry you're feeling grotty MC, and Chris, we all have a little bit of NOC in us. Impressive racing (sorry entering races) for your first year 5.30. PSC, I will leave your report until I find out whether I am accepted on this training thing and there's no going back!

So, the assassin was taken down by her husband. The water was unbearably cold but only 2 mind behind Mr F on the swim, which upset him no end, but he crucified me on the bike, there was quite a lot of downhill and I'm a scaredy cat and hung onto the brakes. Took 4 mins on the run but he beat me by 5 mins overall. Very strange getting my medal presented by Henry VIII. TG, I thought the charging for spectators was pretty off, if you're there to support it's unlikely you'll trundle round the castle. Well organised, very pretty route, you live in a nice part of the world, this is why I can't bring myself to go to Dorney, I'm slow and I like the views!

So today was the first cross country of the season, we've joined a new league, before it was all women and now we play with the boys, our ladies team announced themselves with a win! I have to say my time did not contribute but I basked in the reflected glory. 5 miles through the mud then home for 11 miles on the roads, a last minute panic re Abingindon, needless to say tired out now. Birky, good luck with your first day at work tomorrow, and get well soon MC. Valis, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has to schedule in a late night on the pop. Sunday evening, I had better make Mr F (tri hero) his long awaited curry, as it's not a dish which goes well with a wetsuit, and open water season is well and truly over.

• Options

Kate - well done on the tri and the cross country. I am rubbish at going downhill too - it terrifies me. I laughed when I read the race brief for a tri once saying you had to stick to speed limits, thinking how could anyone go over 30mph? But going down one of the hills on the last course I clocked up 26mph and that was with the brakes on a bit! Wonder what speeds the top guys did down that hill and whether they in fact broke the speed limit

decided I am going to take tomorrow off, I hate being off work but have been feeling really light headed, can't imagine the pandemonium in my classroom if I fainted!

• Options

there is nothing more enjoyable than setting off speed cameras on a push bike.  (apparently)!  ;)

Kate - a pretty solid weekend by the sounds of it.  Curry and vino now would be my advice....

• Options

I guess they can't fine you as they don't know who you areimage so long as there isn't a police car around....

• Options

but if there is a police car around...

triathlete speeding

• Options

Morning you lot

4M Fartlek today easing back into it. NW: 1 owl, 1 Full Moon, very bright and clear this morning

5:30am: A win is a win.

Need to fully catch up

Younger son is 17 tomorrow.

• Options

drizzly windy but mild in Kent... light enough to run the trails before sun rise. image

Its an interesting point about speeding as a bike doesn't have a speedo, so how do you know you are speeding...?

• Options

morning

PSC - you have a good point there.

no run for me, starting to feel more like myself but taking the day off work. Having said that I have loads of marking so will get that done but get plenty of rest too ready to join life again tomorrow

• Options

Morning all - joining Chris in the NOC club today, run, gym, spin later. October is making its mark, dark and drizzly morning for the SOC commute.

• Options

Don't normally post here because I don't normally run that early. Technically this morning, I didn't get up early TO run. I was just up early anyway (4am woken by the baby and couldn't get back to sleep) and decided to get out and do the run I should have done yesterday. So, out the door just after five and back home before seven. A slow ten miler. Had to wear the head torch for only the second time and for much longer than I did the first time. Was glad to ditch it at the six mile mark as it was really starting to get uncomfortable.

Nice to be out so early though, not another soul to be seen.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Morning all, I had my first SOC for a while and it was really dark. One of the things that i've noticed is bikers in my area are really not safe: no lights, no hi viz along main roads is just dangerous.

Hope everyone else is doing well!

• Options

Managed to get out for a long (for me) SOC run on Satuday. Was very disappointed when I got back to see that the app on my pone had recorded I had only done 13 miles in a slower time than I had done 13.5miles the week before.

Thankfully, when I checked online it was clear the GPS signals had not been picked up very well and once the route had been plotted without the various "short-cuts" it should a distance just short of 15 miles. Whilst the per mile time was slower han last week it, the predicted marathon time was only 7 minutes longer.

I have had yesterday and today off and plan to be up and out @ SOC tomorrow for 5/6 miles before work.

• Options

I have the same phone app problem since upgrading to the HTC One X. It's really annoying when I've been out running for over an hour and, according to the endomondo app, I've only covered 3 miles! It also affects the Sat Nav function which sometimes tries to send me off in all sorts of strange directions when I'm driving! Apparently there's a bug affecting the new HTC phone. Should have stuck with my old one!

No run this morning but planning a row tonight if my sore back feels up to it. Probably not the most sensible of workouts with back pain though!

• Options

Hi all,

So now that the Autumn is really in I'm finding it difficult to get out for my morning runs. I had taken to running on the footpaths on the main roads as opposed to the greenway where I run on bright summer mornings. I alway find running in the mornings suits me- i run better and i get a better start to the day. Also, if I come in after a day of work and sit down there will be no getting me out the door to run. I like to get out for at least an hour in the mornings. I live near Canning Town and I'm just not sure how safe it is to run at 5.30 or 6am in the dark. I would be on the main road so maybe I am just being paranoid. Anybody else having this problem? All suggestions welcome image