Options

Are there any slow beginners out there?

Comments

• Options
    Hi Sue,

This is exactly the place for you and everyone on this thread is really supportive and above all down to earth.

Can I make a suggestion about your training problem. Have you tried going slower. I did the couch to 5 k program and looking back I know that I probably went too fast for me. It's only now I can run for longer that I go at a slower pace. I think that there is plenty of time to build speed once you can run for longer. Just a thought.

Zoe
  • Options

Hi guys.  You're all doing bloody well!  I feel left  behind!  The gym was like a sauna on Saturday morning, so did a quick 2 miles in 21 mins, some free weights, then got out!  Was up all last night with stomach cramps so giving the running a miss tonight (pounding pavement or treadmill would not be a wise thing to do!).

Zoe... well done on the 4 miles!  As for the 6 week challenge... I lost 4lbs and 5cm from my (barely visible) waist!  How're you doing?

Hi Sue... I have that book too, but didn't really follow the plan (what a rebel!).  I have a few running books and they all say to repeat certain weeks of you're struggling.  Have you tried swimming after running?  I find that sometimes helps to ease joint pain when my knee is inflammed, either after a long run or kneeling for long periods (I'm a district nurse).

Baggie... I agree that rock helps!  AC/DC are band of choice right now, which is even better as they remind me of Iron Man and the delicious Robert Downey Jr and thus motivate me to keep my butt moving!  I don't run outside to music though.  I don't feel I need it as there's so much to look at!  I also feel nervous when I can't hear anything else around me (i.e traffic, other people or dogs chasing after me).  The one problem with music in the gym in sometimes a tune comes on that is almost the same pace as I'm running, and I find myself changing my pace to match it, only to lose it all when the song finishes!

Hope you are all well!

L x

• Options

Hey all!

I'm a beginner as well and am running my first HM in September.

Last night I ran 5 miles in 1 hour 8 minutes which I know is pretty slow but I didn't stop to walk or anything which i was happy about.

Will be doing the same tonight if not 6 miles!

• Options
    Hi,

Tamtam Please don't worry about being slow on this thread! You are doing better than me, I did 4 miles in 1hr and 10 mins.

Barenaked lady- well done your doing really well 4lbs is fab. I am really watching what I eat and recording everything and calorie counting. So far after 4 days I have lost a massive 3oz!!!! I know bloody depressing ain't it but hoping it will start to move a bit quicker soon. Did a 6 mile bike ride today. Knackered now and my bum hurts from the saddle.
  • Options

Hi Niddy... I hate that the saddles in our gym are designed for men - you can get nice gel pads and my sister takes hers with her to slip over the hard, horrible ones!  Well done on the weight loss - as my Dad says, "it's going the right way!". 

Will run tomorrow as currently getting over bout of food poisoning and haven't eaten much for the last 48 hours.  I've got an interview tomorrow too so am trying to look human for that too!

Tamtam... 1hr 8 minutes is a good time for a 5 miler... in fact that was my first ever time for my first ever 5 mile race.  I got it down to 58.13 this year, but it took time and training, but I think enjoying the run is more important!!

• Options
    good luck with the interview!
  • Options
    How active am I?

As part of my loosing weight plan I am keeping a record of everything I eat on an iPhone app called livestrong. It asks you to select how active you can (among other questions) and then tells you how any calories I can have a day with a view to loosing 2lbs a week. If I say I am lightly active I get 1500 and if I say I am moderatly active I get 1970 calories. Big difference.

So how do I know if I am slightly or moderately active. I run 3-4 times a week, is that enough to be moderate?
  • Options

Hi everyone, looks like a good thread to join in as I am slow.  Managed 5k in 36 mins yesterday but was shattered at the end.  have a 10k in october so need to get my finger out and do longer distances.

sounds like a good app, niddy, keep a food diary is certainly a massive key of losing weight-it can be frightening if you note how much you eat (well for meimage)  About your activity, why not try on one level and see how you get on with it.  I would say you are tending towards moderate, but it may be a bit of trial and error.  Good luck with it.

• Options
    Hi Nids... I'd say you were moderately active, especially if you run for longer than 30 minutes a time!
  • Options
    evening all hows everyone doing i did 3 miles this morning but my left calf feels a bit tight hope i havnt done any damage,hi lady and niddy hope your well and welcome to the thread lainey.
  • Options

Hi Baggie.  You could try massaging your calf with a warm compress or, if you're brave, ice!  It really does work... I have IT band problems and I find it helps loosen that up.  Well done on the 3 miles though! 

I'm back to the gym for a sesh on the treadmill after dreaded bug this week!  I know once I'm there I'll be fine, it's just getting the motivation to get up there after a long day at work!  I come home, then have to go back out at 9 ish... is it any wonder that I struggle to get up there?!?! image

• Options
    thanks for the advice lady i just asked my wife to massage my leg and shes run upstairs!!!!perhaps i shouldnt have told her my muscle was throbbing lol
  • Options

baggieboy, LOL!  Hope it feels better with or without your wife's tender hands on it!!image

BL hope you feel better and have a good session at the gym.  Think how good you'll feel after your session-and you can brag about it to us!  How's that for motivation?image

• Options

BL - Did you go? Share it with us, as lainey says brag to us about it.

Going back to my app I have decided to do today on the lower amount of calories to see how it goes. Might do this for a month then go up to the higher amount.

Planning to go running again tomorrow for another 3 miles, making a total of 10 miles this week (my brag!).

• Options

Good brag niddy-double figures, very impressive.

Good luck with the healthy eating.  I put on 1/2 lb this week but not too worried as my hold await.  Tomorrow I am cardo loading at the chinese buffet for my son's birthday, LOL!  The chocolate fountain is carbohydrate, right???image

• Options
    Chocolate is 2 of your 5 a day. Firstly the cocoa beans grew on a green tree and secondly milk! What do cows eat? Green grass.

• Options

OOps should have said hols not hold!!

I like your thinking niddy.  and of course I will use strawberries to dip into the chocolate so that's even healthier!  fab!

• Options

Oh Lainey - strawberries dipped in chocolate mmmmmm! image Does make you any quicker though!

Apologies for absence this week - work has been a pig! Glad to hear you are all plugging away and well done for getting in the training everyone!

I like this cooler weather don't you? I've been out most evenings this week - just around the block which is about 2.25 miles and takes me just shy of 30 minutes. It's enough for me for now - I'll do longer runs when I am home and at the weekend, but i like the regularity of doing a little bit each day.

I did the Leadership in Running Fitness Course last weekend - so I am now a Women's Running Network Leader and can take the slow group at our club! image I just hope they are actually slow and not just saying that!

Time for me to plod around the block now - I'm hoping for 6 miles tomorrow or Sunday depending on other commitments.

What training have you got planned for the weekend?

• Options

Congratulations on being a Women's Running Network leader, do we call you Madam, Ma'am, your highness??image

My training is running to the chinese buffet tonight, and weight lifting the choclate covered strawberries to my mouth!  And tomorrow it's my tri, but I am hoping to cycle on Sunday as a warm down.

• Options

I did go last night and surprised myself.  Ran for 30 mins at an average pace of 5.2 mph (2.6 miles ish), so very pleased!  Was going to stop on my way home tonight, but decided against it as am going both days this weekend.

Dev... congrats on your new title and role!

Lainey... enjoy that chocolate!!  I haven't eaten Chinese for ages and you've got my tum rumbling!  Good luck for the tri!

• Options

BL - Terrific running - well done you! Don't forget that rest days are as important as training days!

Lainey - 'Ma'am' will do nicely thank you. Failing that 'her', 'it', 'she', or even 'you over there'! Those strawberries sound very tempting - good luck for the tri.

Did my 2.25 miles tonight and managed an average of 12.40 minute miles, my best since my leg operaton over a  year ago! image 

• Options
    good luck with your running this weekend peeps im of to the lakes for a couple of days and im really looking to an early morning run on sunday thats not plodding the canal towpaths of birmingham, a change is as good as a rest so they say
  • Options

Hi everyone, hope you have had a good day.  really enjoyed my tri-thoroughly recommend it (London Triathlon).  The swim was by far the worse bit, the water tasted of diesel, and i didn't want to put my head in, so I didn't.  That of course slowed me down.  then my goggles misted up (note to self, really need to buy anti fog spray) and I could barely see anything.  Luckily I could make out the colours of the hats and so just followed a yellow thing that moved!!  Out of the water and my friend from swiming was there and I heard her shout and that gave me a big lift and I headed out on the bike.  I really enjoyed that and passed some people safe in the knowledge I would get passed on the run.  onto the run and I took it slowly and started to enjoy it when I came accross a guy that was struggling a bit so we teamed up and ran in together (hubby got a shock running in hand in hand with a random guy).  The run was ok, and I only got passed at the very end, which I was very surprised over.  Really enjoyed it and am looking forward to my last one in September.

baggieboy that sounds lovely. I hope the weather is good and you can get some miles in and enjoy the scenary.

Great running DP, well done!!  You must be very proud.

And yes the strawberries were lovely!!

• Options

Hi Lainey - many congratulations on your tri - you have my full admiration! Very well done.

No plod for me today - I have a long slow run on the agenda for tomorrow.

• Options
    Well done on the triathlon, wow you brave thing. And well done as well for helping that chap out. Good things should come your way now.

My 3 mile run yesterday turned into a nonexistent run yesterday but a 5.7mile run today. My longest yet and it took forever. Just over an hour and a half. I just can't pick the pace up on longer distances.But 4 month ago I could barely run for a minute so I must be making some progress. My asthma is still dodgy too which doesn't help. I am feeling more confident about doing myf first 10k in October now. Still not sure about the 10 miles though.

Hope everyone else is doing ok.
  • Options
    Which 10k are you doing Niddy?
  • Options
    I'm doing a cancer research at Hampton court palace. Is anyone else doing it?
  • Options
    its the cardiff half in october for me also for cancer research i wanted to do the birmingham half but im on holiday that weekend
  • Options

Best laid plans... didn't get my long run in yesterday as hubby siggested we go to the beach. No contest! image

I've had 2 days rest. so going out tonight I was up for it, but my leg hurt more than ever - it obviously prefers running every day as giving it a rest just makes it hurt even more!

My next 10k is not until next year - looking for something in the Autumn, so all suggestions welcome!

How was your weekend?  

• Options
    Look on the cancer research website. There are loads of 10k coming up all over the place.

Did a short 2 mile run today. I felt shattered after the 5.7 I did on Sunday so just a little run today.