Options

Paris Marathon 2011

Comments

• Options
    I wouldn't call you an everyday bloke the street DV. I think you are quite amazing. Good luck with the rest of your training..you've worked so hard to get this far and I'm sure I can speak for all of us on here in saying we're very proud of you.

Theres an ironman race coming up this weekend coming through chorley which I'm going to be helping out with on Sunday.

ATM don't forget the midge hat when you go off on your camping trip. Which skin so soft do you use? I got some but I think I got the wrong one, someone told me I needed the green one???
  • Options

DV - I just watched the first 2 mins of the vid clip w/o sound and stopped at the photo which looked like you were taking a photo of yourself in a gym, with an iPhone in one hand a limply held dumbell in the other.  And like katb I said to myself, "That is not an ordinary man"

I'll watch the clip properly at home tonight, with sound, to the end. It's getting exciting this A2A thing.

Off to visit my parents in the UK tonight for the weekend, so dropped a rest day and pulled my programme forward. So with an easy run this morning, have run the last 7 days consecutively. Not sure I've ever done that before. Will get a rest day on Sunday which will be appreciated by the nerve in my back/ pelvis i reckon.

SlowEngineer - nice to hear from you. Have you joined the ranks of the nation's taxpayers now, repaying your (no doubt considerable student load led) debt to society? Are you having fun?

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

I've just seen the clip, DV.It's fab! image   Having managed all of three frontcrawl pulls in the sea, I'm stunned by the whole swim thing...

kat, I use the Dry Oil Spray...It's in a white bottle with a greenish label. * I have seen more of the ' green bottle' stuff, up north, but the one I have seems to work fine.* Good luck with the volunteering. Let's have another look...* spot the old lady image *

• Options

TD..    I like that photo... image   

ATM..   swimming in the sea is totally different to swimming in a pool.  Indeed every stroke can be different.  It is especially challenging when the wind is up, the waves are choppy and you get slapped in the face by a wave of water each time you come up for air.  There are two short clips there where you see me swimming.  In one, the water is a little lumpy and you see me turn my head quite a long way backwards to be able to get a breath.  A few seconds later, my left arm doesn't even get out of the water because the on-coming wave covers it..  I've had to swim in some very rough and turbulent conditions - probably far worse than would be allowed for a Channel crossing.  I've been thrown over on my back and a couple of weeks ago it took about 25 minutes to swimm 100 metres into a very strong tide.  Despite all this, I'm really not a very good swimmer and I will struggle to do the crossing.   It is definitely the hardest part for me.

• Options
    Happy belated birthday for yesterday ATM!! Also, if you're looking for somewhere to test out your new tent before you hit the wilds some friends and I went to a brilliant site called Comrie Croft (not far from Crieff) a few weeks ago. It's a managed site but eco orientated, very relaxed and friendly and not crowded at all. They're bike orientated and gave us great advice on relaxed trails nearby. Also for non expensive camping necessities Go Outdoors is pretty good.

DV "I'm really not a very good swimmer".....hahahahahaha haha hahaha! DV is a machine!
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-SNaaccd7R1s/TjLsO4mDF6I/AAAAAAAABQk/BNyhJZM1kz0/s640/Me%252520on%252520Vatersay%252520beach.JPG

just cos it was really lovely....image On one of the beaches on Vatersay.

• Options

perfect swim conditions there...    get in...!!  image

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-IFpMMp93PQM/TjLsoaUCVpI/AAAAAAAABQw/yV-jyKPdm-A/s640/sea.JPG

I DID go in....errr...for several seconds.image Photos of me in birthday suit to follow at later date.

• Options

Hi everyoneimage

Not been on for a while. How's everyones training going?. I'm getting the miles back in again for the Chester marathon in October and been accepted into London next year on the back of my Paris result even without my chip!!. I must have a very trusting faceimage.

It wont be too long until all the hype builds up again for Paris next year. Good luck to everyone planning on running it.

• Options

Good luck for Chester Kevin - I had to bale out on that.

Enduroman (you need to get a suit with/without a cape you know?) - excellent interview.  Is an endless pool like a treadmill for swimming?

TD - I am a keen reader of Roger's Theasaurus (sp?).  Good news on the back/nerve.

+1 for Go Outdoors.  They're cheap yet I could still spend a fortune in there.

My 'recovery' seems to be going ok.  Ran 5 miles yesterday.  It really is like starting all over again after 2 months off - 5 miles felt more like 20 by the end but aside from a little stiffness on a morning (not tenting) and tenderness it seems to be going ok.  If I can get to 40 mile weeks by the end of September I reckon I'll risk Paris entry.

• Options

Well done you LR - and no tenting in sight!!

TD:  enjoy your sojourn to the UK - and having a well earned restimage.

Fab interview DV - you are far from being an "ordinary" bloke!!

Well met up with new running buddy - boy did she make me work hard yesterday - 10 miles in 1hr 28mins with 1 mile recovery trott - pleased though as this morning no side effects and went out with the boys and did a lovely 3.5 miler recovery trott on St Ouen's beach in glorious sunshine.

• Options

The older I get the less prone I am to tent Fionaimage

Very envious of beach running.  Ran along the prom between Bournemouth and Poole earlier this week and it was really nice.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Where's TD and his Excel thingy when you need him?

We need a graph that plots the spread from ' weird' to ' extraordinary' image so we can reduce everyone to their appropriate co-ordinates....

It's boiling up here, today...10k, dead slow, this morning. Afternoon stroll slighly marred by having been sh** on from a great height by bird scoring a perfect 7 on our famous Chart....image. 'Bought Lottery ticket on the strength of the omen...

• Options

ATM:  it is considered exceptionally lucky with sh** from a great height by a bird - in some culturesimage

Off out for a 10+ mile trott (that means anything between 10 and 15 miles hopefully) !!

LR:  must admit was stunning running on the beach - 5 miles of continues sand, and the boys (Reg and Basil) had enormous fun particularly swimming with me at the endimage

• Options

I image Go Outdoors!  Last weekend we got 3 pairs of Craghoppers trousers and 2 techy t-shirts for around £60 which was way less than half the full price image

• Options
    Toiled along for 6 miles, feeling every gained pound and every degree above 10c.  Still, all done and no achilles pain of note.
  • Options
    Good news on the achilles, LR image

I can now officially call myself an ultra marathoner; Lakeland 50 done and dusted and it was a most wonderful experience. I can genuinely say I loved almost every step of it. Bleedin' knackered now - my spot on the sofa shall be my home for some time, methinks image
  • Options

hey Frodo..  that's fantastic news...  give us more details...  image

well done

• Options

Frodo, well done on the Lakeland 50, it looked amazing, I was following a mate, it only took him 14h23m ... .  How many women did it?

• Options
    About 80 women on the 50 and 30 on the 100, TP.
    I came about halfway through the women's field in the 50, and 299th out of 471 overall, which I'll take for my first stab at an ultra image
  • Options

That's brilliant, I'm so in awe ... bring on the next one  image

• Options
    No, thank you image
    I am a little bit sore now image
  • Options

Ultra's are great, eh?  image     what's next for you..?

Details please...  :

• feeding/drinking
    • foot preparation
    • weather conditions
    • terrain
    • injuries?
    • event organisation quality
    • how do you feel now?
  • Options
    50 miles route, 10,000ft climb and just over 10,000ft descent.

Feeding/drinking:
    The weather on Saturday was punishing - walking up the first major climb, it felt like I was leaking more liquid from my body than I could possibly replace (sorry if that is TMI image )
    I carried 1.5L of water in my rucksack bladder (though on this hill, it was getting very hot in the feeding tube, so was very unpleasant to drink)
    My food of choice to carry were salted cashews, malt loaf and gels.
    The feedstations were fantastic, a bit too much sweet stuff for me (cake, flapjack, bananas, jelly beans, coke, but bread, soup, stew and tea and coffee were good)

Foot prep:
    I bodyglide, then use double skin socks (1000 mile) as a matter of choice and have never blistered, until this weekend image
    Luckily, I put on my Sealskins before the really boggy patches, and so saved myself really soggy feet. The blisters have formed because of the terrain rather than the shoe/sock combination, IMHO.

Weather:
    As mentioned before, cloudless and windless on the Sat, clouded over during the dark, light drizzle as I finished (6am this morning)

Terrain:
    Beastly - boulder, slate and scree paths, bogs. Found myself longing for tarmac/grass!

Injuries:
    Put on my knee supports at the CP after 24 miles, left me feeling rejuvinated and strong just at the right point (brutal decent on a boulder path)

Event team:
    Cannot fault them - heroic and enthusiastic to a man. One of the CPs clearly treats the event as a summer party; music blaring, fairy lights out, the waited on us and made fresh fruit smoothies to order!

Now:
    Deep tissue blisters on the balls of my feet exploded through my toes at about 43miles. My feet are now a touch swollen, so have been ibuprofen-ing and icing (which has been bliss). There is some stiffness in my knees/calves, but because walking on my feet is so painful it is quite hard to know just how stiff I am. I was still comfortable to run, even at mile 50, so I don't think that will be too bad.
    Mentally? I felt serene all through the event and I am just resting in my own glowy-ness now image

Next - I learn to swim and hope to join the tri dark side next year image
    First up - 100 mile sportif, which I did on a MTB last time, on my new road bike.

Anything I've missed?
  • Options

Well done Frodo! Mrs DomN now thinks marathons are a little passe and may soon be joining the ranks of you Ultra-istas

• Options

excellent details Frodo...  welcome to the dark side..   image

• Options

This is an interesting article on foot care..  and there are many others on the Badwater site...  well worth a look..

foot care

• Options
    Ah, that callus thing rings true... image

Live and learn image
  • Options
    @oo - nice pic of coastal run
    @dv- badwater image - is running in pants only compulsory btw?
    @td - atm is and always will be lead techie on the thread! you can always call me dm1974 if you like though image

york rfa 10k today - very poor performance as i am half a stone heavier than paris and haven't run for 4 weeks...not a good day. hopefully it is the kick up the backside i need.

seriously considering joining the local running club as of tuesday....need to do something to get out of this resting on laurels rut.