Options

IMUK 2011

Comments

• Options

I'm not in to embracing fear - think I might give it  a poke with a stick and leave it at that.

I am located about as East as you can get in Britain - I live on a tidal island off the Essex coast - which makes swimming nicely accesible but separates me from civilisation by a fair distance!

That said, i am hoping to get up to Bolton before the event and 'test' the bike route, so if anyone else is up for it around May or June time it might be worth a group outing!

• Options
    Ali i plan to be riding round the thing every waking minute come spring in an effort to be fit enough to at least run a bit once i'm off the bike so stay in touch, let me know when you plan to come up and i (and a few other i dare say) will take you round for a taster lap!!! image

• Options
    Will do Andy - look forward to it
  • Options

Hi and welcome to the thread Ali, Count me in on any joint rides.

Like Andy I'll practicing on the course, in fact if I get as much bike riding in as I'd like this year, I may be responsible for wearing groove round it come July.

As promised I got out on the bike on the 2nd managed half a lap and then turned off and back to Adlington via Chorley. Apart from a couple of walks that's it.

• Options
    you chaps going out on your bikes are crackers right now. Its the turbo for me...but at least this year i'm using it and hammering myself....in fact...i couldnt do my scheduled run yesterday cause the turbo killed my quads on wednesday!!
    should have an hours run in by today.

oh and dont forget endomondo people....we've got a lot of challenges going on there (its a great training app with a smart phone too)
    sign up and add me (andrew butler) as a friend and i'll send invites to the challenges (www.endomondo.com)
  • Options

Cheers Woody - I think the more the merrier for riding the bike course - we can then bounce disbelief at the difficulty off of each other....

I must admit I am a winter turbo trainer too - this was vindicated when my mate, who is training for IM Lanzarote, came off on black ice yesterday in a 5-bike pile up - he has dislocated one finger, broken another and wrecked the tendons in his left arm - aside from knackering the swim training for a while, he probably won't be able to ride without pain for some time as any vibration will cause a lot of grief- so there you go - I'll stick to looking at the shed wall for 2 months.

I finally succumbed to the lure of carbon at the weekend - I had been intending to do IM UK on my trusty Boardman Comp - although a base model bike, it is a bl00dy good one and weighs in at only 19.5 lbs - that all went out the window when I saw this at my friendly local tri shop

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/193506/Gallery/cente.jpg

Suffice to say I am now much poorer, albeit incredibly happy image still not sure about the white tires but they may grow on me...

• Options

Am staying in Chorley for the event - found a serviced flat that I could rent for 80 quid a night - seemed a lot more flexible than a hotel as I will have more room to unload all my gear in  to (obviously including the bike) and also fit Mrs B and Small B in too.

Not sure I mentioned last time that I am doing Don Fink's 'Get you Round' an Ironman programme so I intend to be cycling in low heart rate zones for the event - so when we meet up expect some leisurely rides round the course.  In fact, for the event, I am considering a picnic stop at 56 miles too.

• Options
    56 mile picnic stop could be a good call. Last year I was cycling alongside someone for about half a lap, then he pulled off to the special needs area and I thought I wouldn't see him again. About an hour or so later he caught up with me again and I asked him how he was. He said I feel great after my lunch stop, and he continued to cycle at a pace far quicker than I was able to keep up with and I never saw him again. So it just goes to show that stopping doesn't slow you down and it can make you quicker!
    That bianchi carbon looks sweet. I had every intention of doing last years race on my trusty alu lemond, but the draw of carbon at the right price was too much and ended up with a focus cayo 105 and considerably lighter in the wallet but it was well worth every penny.
    There is nothing like a new bike to get you into the training, although I didn't actually use mine until 3 months after I bought it due to the weather
  • Options

Dead right Richard - am looking at ways to avoid run training so I can cycle more image

I watched the IM UK footage this year and there were a couple of blokes having some sarnies after the swim - might have been the one that was riding with you!

Seriously - there is probably a lot to be said for this stress-free approach to the event - you get an unhurried transition and a decent break to get nutrition on board - less risk of throwing up or dropping it at all over the road...

• Options
    Bike looks SWEET Ali, nice bikes Bianchi....i did the same thing (as many of us did) i had a vitus bike...nowt wrong with it at all...but i went to Ribble cycles and ended up much poorer but with a Carbon Nero RC....not that it helped me last year but i did manage to finish the bike leg (with 8 seconds to spare) lol.....Colin (woody) used a borrowed bike and absolutely flew round.....more bike training for me this year.

I totally plan on proper food this time....i'm going to have breakfast AFTER the swim (cause porridge at 3am sucks and did me no good) and take some proper food on my bike (i did take some last year but i then left it in T2 and needed it badly on the run)
    most of you have read my report on my blog so know the dehyration/sickness problems i had and gels/gatorade diet all day definitely contributed...this year its Gels (in case of a bonk) Water and some real food (sausage rolls and chicken sandwiches) and this time i will make it to the end.

what i'm saying is i listened to everybody else's advice on nutrition last year...and although ultimately my downfall was down to me that advice just didnt work..For ME..so know what works for you and dont feel stupid having a chicken sandwich on the bike just cause everybody else has gels...what works for them might not work for you.
  • Options
    Well said Andy. Try and test everything prior to the day, and when you find something that works, be anal about it. I was lucky, as gels worked for me, but not Lucozade ones. So I was self sufficient on the bike, a bottle of 16 gels saw me through the bike, and then it was whatever the aid stations had on the run.

At my forst Half last year, I was impressed with one bloke in T1 who was strolling around the bikes with a bowl of cereal, which was followed by a croissant, glass of OJ and a flask of coffee. Real style, and no sense of urgency with him.
  • Options

whimpers like a dog!!! I can only dream of a bike like that Ali

Agree Andy if the goal is to get to the finish line rather than a pb, then its the rider not the bike that does it you will be there matey I'm sure of that. I'm convinced that the four rides Richard and I did with six weeks to go last year did it for us.

I was vary lucky last year that the power bars on the bike worked for me, I'd not tested them proper before.

I was out on the bike again on Sunday 15 miles and then a bit of Tough Guy training, couple of miles running on the flat a good few hill reps and 4 dips in frozen lake in between image

• Options
    hahaha, you're a nutter colin, i saw on FB you'd been jumping in the lake!!!!
  • Options

Have got the bike home now - cheers for admiring remarkds.  It was my dream to get a carbon Binachi too Woody and I genuinely didn't ever think I could afford one.  Then we got a massive council tax rebate as we had overpaid for a few years.  Mrs B said, "Shall we spilt it and spend it or save it......"

I don't really need to tell you the reply do I !!!  Suffice to say that she is now shpping for Paul Smith handbags.

I'll still be paying half of the bike off for a year and a half but what the hell.

Took nearly 4 hours to get pedals, aerobars, bottle cages, bike computers etc etc etc off the old bike!

Andy - I have major gastric problems with gels and drinks and collapsed at 22 miles in last years london marathon as I hadn't digested  anything on the run.  I also can't stomach large breakfasts, so the taking of a civilised breakfast in T1 sounds great!  You are right - if a chicken sarnie works use it, or anything else for that matter.  I have been trying the PowerBars, and they are frankly revolting - will probably end up carrying a kilo of grub on the bike.

Be good to see some of you guys in a few months, I am going to camp locally to try the bike route out and if there is a small group it would be great.

• Options

Lake swimming - whoah - that is insane in January image

I did the boxing day swim on the island where we live and my feet froze to the beach after I got out - hitting the water was like being electrocuted - at least I had the reason of doing it for charity image

• Options

Andy a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do that's my excuse anyway.

TBH Ali I couldn't claim it was swimming I did do a few strokes and made sure I submerged my head a few times to simulate what I will have to do on the day and that was enough.

BTW You are welcome to stay at mine when you come to try the route out, I'm just a few miles from it. The only problem is my house is up for sale so not sure if I still be here, having said that It's been up for sale 2 years now so more than likely will be.

• Options
    woody do you know where High rid resi is?? its just off chorley new road near the beehive i believe and i think they allow swimmers in the summer...i'll check it out...could be a good new venue.

another hours run for me today (thats just over 5 miles at current pace btw) still hurting but getting better and my motivation is back now i'm feeling better so i'm pleased with that...think i'm gonna attempt an outdoor ride this weekend as the weather is mild...not taking ruby (my bike) though...i'll take the hybrid up sheephouse lane and remind myself what the year is going to be like image
  • Options

I do its less Than a mile away from where I live. it's the Resi I was planning on swimming in last year if you remember when I finally got my wet suit. I got up early one morning walked to the waters to find it full green floating stuff. It often has the problem but I still plan on using before it gets bad this year. The local authority use it for youth activities so so you might not be able to use it when they are. if you want to check out some time give a shout.

I'll be out and about Rivi on my bike at the weekend more than likely Sunday. 

• Options

Evening guys

We had the green algae here last Summer  too - had a few guys with rotten guts after the weekend swims - I think the summer heat really produced some nasty stuff on lakes where there is little water flow.

Thx for the offer Woody - I know what the house selling is like - we took two years to sell our house in London before we moved here in October - felt like giving up many times but got there in the end - we can review accomodation nearer the time. Equally, you could all come camping for a laugh image

I've heard Sheephouse lane is the big one already - found out last night that the Bianchi (I am going to call her Bianca - just need a pic of the Eastenders star to stick on th frame) has a small chainring with two less teeth than the Boardman - so even better!

My training programme at the moment is a lot of half hour sessions in low heart rate zones,which feels odd as I was running and cycling much longer than this before Xmas - still, I bow the knowledge of master Don Fink.

Must admit the swimming is still a real grind at the moment - on Friday I had one of those guys who swims way slower than you then hammers it when you are going past him - after I got past him he then swam in to me at the turn and proceeded to wallop my feet on every stoke.  In a race you coulkd easily punch somebody like this and get away with it, but I doubted I would get away with this at the local pool.

• Options
    thats why i hate pool swimming....i'm not a strong swimmer by any means but i'd honestly rather have just 3 months training in OW than 6 months with 3 in a pool.
    In truth i think 'most' people find the level they swim at and a lot of miles in a pool wont change that or make it any quicker.
    Come april i'll be going to endurance coach sessions on a wednesday night (OW) and then a weekend swim either in a local resi or the dive centre i went to last year.
    come down with a cold overnight so once again i'm having an enforced couple of days off.
    Colin if its mild and not chucking down (by mild i mean 8+) i'll text ya and find out where you are and come and join ya for a jaunt

Ali dont get worried about SH lane...its a bit of a pig but its not so long....first part isnt so steep and exactly 1 mile up.....second part (rivington lane) is steep but only about 400m long....dont get me wrong...third time up its a bitch...but i think the second half of the course is worse...flatter but more technical...you'll see when ya come up...lol
  • Options

I agree Andy - having to force myslef to swim at the mo.  Up til November was in the sea which is only a 2 minute jog away.  Will try and get back in OW in early April if I can - have now got swim socks, swim gloves and a neoprene hat that is as thick as my wetsuit.  Hopefully that will do the trick.

You told me not to worry about the bike and the gave me about 6 reasons why I should worry - I take it techncial means steep downhills wih tight bends...lots of pratice in coming off the aeorbars quickly to try and grab the brakes then image

• Options
    Sheephouse Lane, not really the issue that most people talk about, but it was almost the end of me last year. All the forums keep talking about how hard Sheephouse Lane is, and as Andy says, it's OK, but third time, anything will hurt.

Not being local I focused my training on hills so I could make SHL, which I did. However, what I didn't fully appreciate was the second half of the loop. There are no great long sections where you can keep a good rhythm going, there are short twisty-turny bits, that get you braking, changing gears, accelerating etc, and it just took it out of me.

Make sure you mix up your training, get enough time on hills to kill SHL, get some good long rides done on the aero bars, but also mix in some more technical sections where you are braking, accelerating, cornering a fair bit.
  • Options

Cheers Triumphant - good advice as ever.

Week 3 of the Fink, 'Get you round' programme beginning - only 27 weeks until d-day...can't wait.

I'll post some provisional dates soon for a meet up on the bike route, that way anybody who wants to come can get it in their diary early.  We can also start the bidding on how many loops we want to do image

• Options
    Good Idea Ali, i'm hoping for a mild weekend so i can get out and up the hill myself (a break from the turbo too)

I went for a run today (i was sick with a cold last week from about wednesday) and i think i came back a bit soon...i'm not a fast runner at all but today i really really struggled to get going..legs and lungs just were not working and anything that wasnt downhill was agony in my left calf...
    so i'm putting that down as a bad day and just gonna do my training at low HR this week till i'm fully over it to prevent any chest problems.,,,hoping i get all my set backs in January and can push on strong from there really
  • Options
    The new gravel on SHL was a bit of a bu$$er last year.....
  • Options

I will watch out for the training ride dates.

I have mainly been running over the big freeze. I have a turbo buy hate it with a passion. I was out on the bike last week and did a casual 20 miles before the first stages of frost nip started seting in.

I have found a monster hill to play on near my house, so when it gets warmer I will be on it.

Not long now comrades.

• Options

Yeah getting all ailments out the way now sounds like a good idea Andy.

Unless it clashes with a race I can be quite flexible on date for Training ride .

I went on a leisurely 18 mile ride with my sister and then more tough Guy training

Any more to add to the list of victims / athletes

IMUK 2011 - Participants

Firey 1
    Kingy
    Woody
    Sweetfeet
    Andyb99
    Lovetorun12345
    Laura M
    stella belly
    Ali Bongo

• Options
    i'm flexible for training rides too...as i live on the course virtually and will be riding it most weekends at some point once the spring comes...only races or training trips (lakes etc) are going to get me off this course this year.
  • Options

Did someone just say 27 weeks to go?

That sounds worryingly close image

• Options

Yep - 27 weeks.....

I have just worked out that on my get you round training plan I have only just about done enough hours this month to roughly equal what I am doing on race day...

On that note, I am off for a run